Cardoso Visit? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cardoso Visit?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Kamila can be very, very good. She will be a big asset to the Brazilian National Team. I think she would have been a big contributor at UConn, alongside Liv, not in place of her.

I'm glad that there is no apparent conflict of interest in Coach Hunt guiding her. Based on information I saw--which may not have been correct--there were things that looked questionable.

I agree with the S.I. prediction--based on her size, I can see Coach Vic getting Kamila to be the replacement for Teaira.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If
How so?
I’m reading between the lines. As a highly rated BIG if Cardoso had passed on UConn for a final list that included the likes of MS St, SC, MD, etc., I might have accepted that she just wasn’t interested in coming north to play for the Huskies.

While Q has built a nice program at the Cuse, they are clearly not a top tier program. Cardoso would be the best player ever recruited there and the winter weather in Syracuse makes Storrs look like a tropical paradise.

I am speculating that after falling short in qualifying for a scholarship, likely including the fall signing period, Cardoso is directing her attention to schools like Syracuse who may have committed to her that they would hold a scholarship open for her, if and when she qualifies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Kamila can be very, very good. She will be a big asset to the Brazilian National Team. I think she would have been a big contributor at UConn, alongside Liv, not in place of her.

I'm glad that there is no apparent conflict of interest in Coach Hunt guiding her. Based on information I saw--which may not have been correct--there were things that looked questionable.

I agree with the S.I. prediction--based on her size, I can see Coach Vic getting Kamila to be the replacement for Teaira.
That is if she passes her SAT/ACT. This seems to be the hinge point to her attending university here in the States.

Reaction Score
If
I’m reading between the lines. As a highly rated BIG if Cardoso had passed on UConn for a final list that included the likes of MS St, SC, MD, etc., I might have accepted that she just wasn’t interested in coming north to play for the Huskies.

While Q has built a nice program at the Cuse, they are clearly not a top tier program. Cardoso would be the best player ever recruited there and the winter weather in Syracuse makes Storrs look like a tropical paradise.

I am speculating that after falling short in qualifying for a scholarship, likely including the fall signing period, Cardoso is directing her attention to schools like Syracuse who may have committed to her that they would hold a scholarship open for her, if and when she qualifies.
She was considering both UConn and Syracuse at one point, so her visiting Syracuse has zero to do with anything related to UConn. Syracuse was receiving a visit regardless.

Reaction Score
Can't see future results, but Cardoso is ranked #1 ahead of PB at ASGR and PBR, 2nd at Blue Star, 4th at PN, and 5th at ESPN.

IOW, a lot of people are extremely high on her.

you've seen her on video as much as any of us, other then running the floor well for someone her size, what exactly does she do better then anyone else in the country...........from what I've seen, which admittedly is somewhat limited, she doesn't appear overly aggressive on defense or the boards at either end of the court and I haven't seen a consistent outside shot of any kind..................if Geno had to chose only one of them do you honestly think he'd take her over PB? Not a chance..............:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was considering both UConn and Syracuse at one point, so her visiting Syracuse has zero to do with anything related to UConn. Syracuse was receiving a visit regardless.
OK, let’s assume Syracuse has been on her list all along. So she dropped UConn, that also been on her list all along, but stayed with Syracuse. That’s difficult to understand. This is a young lady who has expressed her interest in playing professionally. She’s looking at a school that almost exclusively plays a 2-3 zone and has 0 post players in the pros vs a school that has developed many outstanding WNBA posts.

Reaction Score
OK, let’s assume Syracuse has been on her list all along. So she dropped UConn, that also been on her list all along, but stayed with Syracuse. That’s difficult to understand. This is a young lady who has expressed her interest in playing professionally. She’s looking at a school that almost exclusively plays a 2-3 zone and has 0 post players in the pros vs a school that has developed many outstanding WNBA posts.

maybe she wants to train to play professionally without having to work her butt off every day for several years...............;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
maybe she wants to train to play professionally without having to work her butt off every day for several years.....;)
I might agree with that, except I don’t think motivation is an issue for this young lady. She came all the way from Brazil, knowing very little English, to attend a basketball factory for international players in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
I doubt Geno and company need to put in energies beyond BB. I'd love another big as much as anyone. However is a project (academically/Talent) worth that effort? In terms of wanting a W career playing zone good luck to her. I really like post players that say I want, I want, I want---they are a perfect fit (2 meanings) for Geno.

Reaction Score
Having DeLisha Milton-Jones on the staff might be helping, with Williams committed, and Reese still considering Syracuse they could be a program headed in the right direction.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
you've seen her on video as much as any of us, other then running the floor well for someone her size, what exactly does she do better then anyone else in the country......from what I've seen, which admittedly is somewhat limited, she doesn't appear overly aggressive on defense or the boards at either end of the court and I haven't seen a consistent outside shot of any kind...if Geno had to chose only one of them do you honestly think he'd take her over PB? Not a chance....:)

She can really pass for someone her size. I think there are similarities in her game to Stef Dolson, and not just the passing skills.

Reaction Score
But Mercedes had a shot. This young lady runs the floor better though.
Agreed -- Mercedes is definitely more skilled offensively, but Kamilla is 1-2 inches taller, and more athletic. Both have pretty good hands, but I think Kamilla is more of a force. I know Mercedes endured some injuries during her career at Tennessee, but I think a few other schools could have turned her into something special.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Agreed -- Mercedes is definitely more skilled offensively, but Kamilla is 1-2 inches taller, and more athletic. Both have pretty good hands, but I think Kamilla is more of a force. I know Mercedes endured some injuries during her career at Tennessee, but I think a few other schools could have turned her into something special.
Here's my problem. Russell came to UT with a better variety of moves from the arc to the rim. Mercedes was a very good passer as well, and her time at UT failed to show it, and the coaching failed to improve her skills in any way. Mercedes also had, I think, more dominant games in high school. Cardosa to this point isn't quite the finisher Mercedes was at the same age and she doesn't have the option to shoot the mid range shot. Yes, from what I've seen Cardosa is more athletic, runs faster, and clearly jumps higher. Russell couldn't jump past her high tops. Offensively though she is rawer than blowfish. Like Russell she isn't aggressive enough in getting position and calling for the ball, but good coaching with change that quick, fast, and in a hurry. Vic would be a good coach for her at the next level, but I think he's at the limit of his scholarships, so Syracuse or SoCar seem to be her best options. That is of course if her SAT/ACT scores are good enough for admission. It seems both Dawn and Quentin have told her they'll hold open a scholly if she gets the scores.

Reaction Score
But Mercedes had a shot. This young lady runs the floor better though.

yes Russell had a more polished offensive game but I suspect Cardoso will have a similar career trajectory unless she joins the right program...........Miss State and South Carolina have both proven they can develop bigs but if she has the opportunity and the inclination UConn would still be a great choice to improve her all around game.............

Reaction Score
Here's my problem. Russell came to UT with a better variety of moves from the arc to the rim. Mercedes was a very good passer as well, and her time at UT failed to show it, and the coaching failed to improve her skills in any way. Mercedes also had, I think, more dominant games in high school. Cardosa to this point isn't quite the finisher Mercedes was at the same age and she doesn't have the option to shoot the mid range shot. Yes, from what I've seen Cardosa is more athletic, runs faster, and clearly jumps higher. Russell couldn't jump past her high tops. Offensively though she is rawer than blowfish. Like Russell she isn't aggressive enough in getting position and calling for the ball, but good coaching with change that quick, fast, and in a hurry. Vic would be a good coach for her at the next level, but I think he's at the limit of his scholarships, so Syracuse or SoCar seem to be her best options. That is of course if her SAT/ACT scores are good enough for admission. It seems both Dawn and Quentin have told her they'll hold open a scholly if she gets the scores.
Once again, I agree. One difference in regards to high school games is when you're going out with Balogun, Massengill, Hunt, and Martinez, you likely won't have a ton of dominant games -- but there were a few games I felt she should have done more (vs. McNamara last year was one).

As raw is she is, she is far more developed than Teaira McCowan was as a senior in high school. On the other hand, McCowan was pretty aggressive and was terrific when it came to posting up and rebounding.

As much as I would have loved to see Cardoso develop under Geno and Co., I will be interested to see how she develops, preferably under Dawn or Vic rather than McGuff or Q.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Once again, I agree. One difference in regards to high school games is when you're going out with Balogun, Massengill, Hunt, and Martinez, you likely won't have a ton of dominant games -- but there were a few games I felt she should have done more (vs. McNamara last year was one).

As raw is she is, she is far more developed than Teaira McCowan was as a senior in high school. On the other hand, McCowan was pretty aggressive and was terrific when it came to posting up and rebounding.

As much as I would have loved to see Cardoso develop under Geno and Co., I will be interested to see how she develops, preferably under Dawn or Vic rather than McGuff or Q.
Yes and yes. As you said, she isn't as raw as Teaira, which is why I said she'd do better under Vic who has more experience with raw centers. But Vic looks handcuffed right now. Which sounds like the steak I had the other day and the result after I confronted the chef.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom