Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Women's College Basketball is changing? Hope you enjoy it.

Reaction Score
So how can a deadline possibly work, when one last minute decision can lead to another? Suppose for example a very good big say Cardosa makes a decision on April 30th. An existing big on her new team may have her future playing time squashed by that decision. She easily could want to enter the portal herself, but literally has no time to even think about that option, to explore options, consider academics and a wide variety of important factors. All because of a sudden totally unexpected action by an incoming transfer.

At least with the recruitment of freshmen, existing players generally have a good idea who their coaches are going after, and it is a much longer process. The activity in the portal has some predictability with players that were not getting playing time, but with the no wait scenario, many of these decisions come out of nowhere. The instability is not just with coaches and players moving rapidly, but also with existing players on both the teams they left, and the teams they are going to.

Cardosa only entered the portal after almost everybody else on her team did. So it certainly looks like she wasn't even thinking transfer until most of her team did. Transfers lead to more transfers, both from more players leaving in a mass exit like Syracuse, and players leaving because of a potential reduction of playing time from incoming transfers.

Part of me thinks that if there is a deadline, an extension or waiver should be given to existing players who could be adversely affected by a last second decision before the deadline, that they literally would not have time to even think about.
Your scenario would happen quite infrequently and is not worth creating total chaos. At some point, coaches need to know who will be on their team next season; May 1st sounds like a good time for that. The rules do allow for exceptions in cases of a coach leaving or a scholarship being withdrawn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Cardoso might be the answer to Lauren Betts who arrives at Stanford in 2022 when the Brazilian player would have two years of college ball and one year possibly at UConn. The question is who benefits more, UConn or Cardoso? Probably both. UConn gets the big big it has lacked, Cardoso gets better coaching and a higher profile on the world scene, a plus for her and Brazil. The negative for UConn is the effect on our big recruits.
If Geno can get a 6’7” post that was ranked #5 coming out of high school and keep her for 4 years, why are we worrying about future recruits? A bird in the hand....

Reaction Score
It’s understood that playing time is not a given but when you play out of position because the coach asked you to because of your athleticism only to see the team sign a couple of true Biggs out of the portal and a generational guard through recruiting the handwriting on the wall for any playing time you’ll be battling for. That be incredibly discouraging. I just hope it works out and Gino can keep everyone somewhat happy with playing time. It would be sad to see some of our ladies enter the portal next year.
Every coach is always trying to get better by upgrading the roster. Anyone who didn’t wouldn’t have a job anymore.

Reaction Score
Late last night after reading these posts about Kamilla Cardoso entering the portal and has thoughts of transferring to UCONN or Auburn, I had a mental "light go on" I'd like to present it to the BY hounds barking at the door how this isn't fair to the present roster, etc.
If my information is correct Kamilla's last 2 colleges on her list to attend were UCONN & Syracuse!
She choose Syracuse!
But let's say that last year she choose UCONN instead. What is the difference to UCONN's present roster of players if she choose UCONN 1 year ago or this year?
The players, especially the BIGS, would have had to deal with her to earn playing time then or now!
The decision is just one year later! And Kamilla would still have her 4 years of eligibility!
So in reality these players now on the UCONN's roster are in the same boat they might have been in a year ago!
NO GRIPES! Some of the players may not think of this and are upset but they really have no gripe!
The program should greet her with open arms, as Kamilla can only help UCONN toward it's goal of multiple National Championships!
I'd love to hear from the NAY SAYERS on my theory!

Reaction Score
From the NCAA Transfer Guideline. These dates will change fir 2022.

Planning to transfer to a Division I school?
In order to meet the criteria of the Division I one-time transfer exception to seek immediate eligibility, the student-athlete must:
• • •

Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution (unless in the previous four-year transfer, the student-athlete received either a nonsponsored or discontinued sport transfer exception), and
Certify in writing to their new school, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Reaction Score

In order to meet the criteria of the Division I one-time transfer exception to seek immediate eligibility, the student-athlete must:
• • •

Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution (unless in the previous four-year transfer, the student-athlete received either a nonsponsored or discontinued sport transfer exception), and
Certify in writing to their new school, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.
Clarity. Thank you for posting.

Reaction Score

• • •

Just for your information, she was 1 of 3 SU women's basketball players named to the ACC all academic list on 3/3/2021.

Reaction Score
Late last night after reading these posts about Kamilla Cardoso entering the portal and has thoughts of transferring to UCONN or Auburn, I had a mental "light go on" I'd like to present it to the BY hounds barking at the door how this isn't fair to the present roster, etc.
If my information is correct Kamilla's last 2 colleges on her list to attend were UCONN & Syracuse!
She choose Syracuse!
But let's say that last year she choose UCONN instead. What is the difference to UCONN's present roster of players if she choose UCONN 1 year ago or this year?
The players, especially the BIGS, would have had to deal with her to earn playing time then or now!
The decision is just one year later! And Kamilla would still have her 4 years of eligibility!
So in reality these players now on the UCONN's roster are in the same boat they might have been in a year ago!
NO GRIPES! Some of the players may not think of this and are upset but they really have no gripe!
The program should greet her with open arms, as Kamilla can only help UCONN toward it's goal of multiple National Championships!
Both of our transfers seem to fit in the UCONN mold.

Reaction Score
She choose Syracuse!
Cardoso committed to Syracuse November 7th 2019 DeBerry committed to UConn November 8th 2019. Not sure it means anything, but I don’t think DeBerry was expecting to play with Cardoso at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Only if there is a coaching change or a player loses their scholarship.
That's not correct. NCAA players for all sports have until 1 July 2021 to make a decision to transfer. Coaching changes or loss of scholarship have nothing to do with it. If you are transferring for the first time you will be immediately eligible to play at the new school. If you are transferring for a second time and have completed your degree you are immediately eligible under the graduate transfer provision. The rules are unclear if a player is transferring for the second time and have not completed a degree, but mostly like a transfer waiver request will need to be submitted.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Assuming it happens and she transfers to UCONN....here are some thoughts.
As a former NBA scout , the first time I saw her play in early December I was impressed....she runs the floor so well for a player of her size....she has Brittney Griner potential...she can score and could be a force defensively.she has great hands and does not bring the ball down. I checked with one of my sources in the basketball Federation in Brasil and they are encouraging her to come to UCONN , the upside to Brasil women’s basketball would be immense for she would get the best coaching to reach her enormous potential.
As far as her personality unlike the NBA where we get to interview players and try to assess her personality I cannot tell how she would adjust at UCONN but I am sure Geno has already done that assuming she will choose UCONN.
One last factor to get the most out of this type of talent you need good players that are able to feed her at the right moment and can score from the outside to alleviate double teams. That spells UCONN.

This information is appreciated. From a developmental standpoint, UConn is the team to transfer to. From a playing standpoint, UConn's guards can definitely deliver the pass on time and were it needs to be.

Reaction Score
That's not correct. NCAA players for all sports have until 1 July 2021 to make a decision to transfer. Coaching changes or loss of scholarship have nothing to do with it. If you are transferring for the first time you will be immediately eligible to play at the new school. If you are transferring for a second time and have completed your degree you are immediately eligible under the graduate transfer provision. The rules are unclear if a player is transferring for the second time and have not completed your degree, but mostly like a transfer waiver request will need to be submitted.
Yes, that has been made clear since I made that post. I was using the info that starts in the 2022 season; if anyone is owed an apology for my misinformation, they have it.

Reaction Score
Yes, that has been made clear since I made that post. I was using the info that starts in the 2022 season; if anyone is owed an apology for my misinformation, they have it.

That’s no problem because I know of several coaches who are in a spin over these rules, and then you add in NIL coming down the pike.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure she could have 4 years at UConn. She just finished her freshman season.
I thought the same but not sure if she would stay 4 years.

She will dominate in short order as in next year. Natural player, things come easy for her, great hands, mov't skills and is just a natural player. Has an instinct to score. Doesn't need to be taught everything like body position, feeling the lean of players on her, holding the ball high, etc. Feels it naturally.

Reaction Score
Cardoso committed to Syracuse November 7th 2019 DeBerry committed to UConn November 8th 2019. Not sure it means anything, but I don’t think DeBerry was expecting to play with Cardoso at UConn.
Maybe you are right but from what I have seen, which isn't a lot, Deberry cant bang down low. Cardosa will allow her to not do this and make her even better. It is a potential ridiculous abundance of talent on the inside to go with an ridiculous amount of talent at guard and wing. If we get her, Mickey Mouse could coach us to the finals for the next 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Women's College Hoops is starting to look like the NBA teams. All the good players on a handful of teams.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cardosa stays in the ACC.. Either Louisville or Duke.

Reaction Score
Maybe you are right but from what I have seen, which isn't a lot, Deberry cant bang down low. Cardosa will allow her to not do this and make her even better. It is a potential ridiculous abundance of talent on the inside to go with an ridiculous amount of talent at guard and wing. If we get her, Mickey Mouse could coach us to the finals for the next 3-4 years.
I agree I’ve always thought Liv 2.0 when watching DeBerry highlights, another 6’5 jump shooter, she also looks up to Stewie if I’m not mistaken.

Reaction Score
She choose Syracuse!
I vaguely remember that GA gave up on her due to some academic issues. can somebody remind me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom