Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Everyone's basically a free agent now and coaches are going to have to spend a bit of time each season just re-recruiting players and bending over backwards to keep them happy. Never mind the tampering and poaching that goes on.

Yeah, this is getting to be like the pros.

Reaction Score
Assuming it happens and she transfers to UCONN....here are some thoughts.
As a former NBA scout , the first time I saw her play in early December I was impressed....she runs the floor so well for a player of her size....she has Brittney Griner potential...she can score and could be a force defensively.she has great hands and does not bring the ball down. I checked with one of my sources in the basketball Federation in Brasil and they are encouraging her to come to UCONN , the upside to Brasil women’s basketball would be immense for she would get the best coaching to reach her enormous potential.
As far as her personality unlike the NBA where we get to interview players and try to assess her personality I cannot tell how she would adjust at UCONN but I am sure Geno has already done that assuming she will choose UCONN.
One last factor to get the most out of this type of talent you need good players that are able to feed her at the right moment and can score from the outside to alleviate double teams. That spells UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Everyone's basically a free agent now and coaches are going to have to spend a bit of time each season just re-recruiting players and bending over backwards to keep them happy. Never mind the tampering and poaching that goes on.

More work for coaches, but more respect for the players, and more options. They deserve it. And looking at all of the instances of abuse inflicted on players by cruel coaches, it's about time that players were given the right to opt out of bad situations without being punished. Shouldn't Evina have had the right to opt out of dysfunctional Tennessee and play immediately for UConn?

Seems a matter of fairness.

Reaction Score

WOW!!!!! Shocking!!! And also this: "Five of them have committed to other ACC schools." So not only is virtually his entire team bailing on him, but half are going to competing teams in the same conference!!!

Talk about insult to injury!!!! I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop: when those players get situated at new schools, they'll begin to talk about why they all left. And then the AD will have a very long and difficult conversation with that coach.

WOW!!!

Reaction Score
Transfer Portal closes on May 1st. You only have eight days to witness crazy.
Other reports are saying July 1st is the closing date for portal in order not to have to sit out this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
More work for coaches, but more respect for the players, and more options. They deserve it. And looking at all of the instances of abuse inflicted on players by cruel coaches, it's about time that players were given the right to opt out of bad situations without being punished. Shouldn't Evina have had the right to opt out of dysfunctional Tennessee and play immediately for UConn?

Seems a matter of fairness.
Well I hope we'll be OK with all of this fairness when coaches from other teams come to rescue our players from the cruelty of lack of playing time.

Reaction Score
Man, it's going to get crowded at UConn if she comes. It will be an embarrassment of riches though!!! Thanks for your insight. Pretty cool.

Just FYI, there are several threads about her already (some in the general section.) It's hard to keep up......

Reaction Score
Well I hope we'll be OK with all of this fairness when coaches from other teams come to rescue our players from the cruelty of lack of playing time.
As long as you keep the 5 best players happy then all will be well.

Reaction Score
Yes, it bothers me just as much when a coach is not loyal and instead bolts for "greener" pastures. Of course when this occurred the players on the team could follow suit without having to sit out a year first. I realize this alone is/was still not fair to the student, as it is not much of a compensation. However, the school should have also demanded a high enough buyout clause in the contract so the coach would pay a substantial $$ penality for leaving "early". This way, not just the student athlete gets hurt, but the coach does too. In short, there is, or at least should have been, a substantial penalty for the coach who bolts/bolted before their contract is/was up. This helps/helped balance the tables somewhat, so both coach and player received a penalty...the player who chooses/chose to leave early is/was penalized by having to sit out 1 season and the coach who chooses/chose to leave early is/was (or should have been) penalized financially for not fullfilling the full length of their contract. However, in the upcoming new world order, players can bolt without penalty. Nice for them, but poaching of top players seems almost inevitable. This is not so nice for the team they leave behind.
Except the coach will pay nothing. The new school will foot the bill and if in a P5 league their TV money will take care of it and they'll put off the biannual renovations to the locker room for a year...............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I want her to come to UConn only if no one leaves or no incoming recruits de-commit. I was impressed by her attitude. She smiled a lot and did not let opposing players get to her except for one time. She got fouled hard and she pushed back. After all it is a game and she seems to take it as that. Her upside is too high to pass on her and would make up for not getting Betts, imo. But then, is she really coming to UConn and if she is I'm sure Geno won't let it affect the team negatively.

Reaction Score
Cardoso might be the answer to Lauren Betts who arrives at Stanford in 2022 when the Brazilian player would have two years of college ball and one year possibly at UConn. The question is who benefits more, UConn or Cardoso? Probably both. UConn gets the big big it has lacked, Cardoso gets better coaching and a higher profile on the world scene, a plus for her and Brazil. The negative for UConn is the effect on our big recruits.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am bemused by so many "do as I say" and "not as I do" comments about players and coaches leaving. Let's turn it around about any of us in a job situation-yu have job (you may like) at a company (you may hate) or vice versa (job you hate, company you like) but a new opportunity presents itself for more pay, better perceived advancement and the posters here are acting like they would turn it down. Some are advocating to have a "non compete" clause disallowing their employees the right to work for a competitor.

The transfer portal is crazy this year and maybe next year too but it will settle down as remember, these MCBB, WCBB, Baseball and Football players finally have their "freedom" so many are jumping at it.

I think @Vowelguy did sum it in a curious statement about Chicago State who was arguably the worst D1 team this year and in past years, where they have 7 players leaving and his question was "Where exactly do those kids think they're going to get another chance?"

So all these players put in but only 30% (at best) will find an ideal school. Some may have to take the best that is offered and it may be worse than their prior situation.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Other reports are saying July 1st is the closing date for portal in order not to have to sit out this upcoming season.
From the ESPN article:
The NCAA's new transfer rules will require players in fall and winter sports to notify their current schools they intend to leave by May 1; spring sport athletes must do so by July 1, starting in 2022.

Reaction Score
Evina does not crack the top 15?
Evina played down to be a team member. Hopefully with time the knee is better and her play will clearly show she’s on the court more often than a bunch of the others. If health is not an issue she will out play Caroline Sailor Aubrey Mir possibly Azzi. She is all around the better player and will push Nika for playing time as well as small forward time.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It was May 1st, but was moved to July 1st for fall and winter sports because of the timing of the transfer waiver decision.
Please provide a link to your source please.
This is from the ESPN article (posted last week I think):
The NCAA's new transfer rules will require players in fall and winter sports to notify their current schools they intend to leave by May 1; spring sport athletes must do so by July 1, starting in 2022.

Reaction Score
Cardoso might be the answer to Lauren Betts who arrives at Stanford in 2022 when the Brazilian player would have two years of college ball and one year possibly at UConn. The question is who benefits more, UConn or Cardoso? Probably both. UConn gets the big big it has lacked, Cardoso gets better coaching and a higher profile on the world scene, a plus for her and Brazil. The negative for UConn is the effect on our big recruits.
She also might want to play with players who can make shots. The battle for Atlantis is in November, and Uconn, Oregon, and South Carolina are in it.

Reaction Score
I am bemused by so many "do as I say" and "not as I do" comments about players and coaches leaving. Let's turn it around about any of us in a job situation-yu have job (you may like) at a company (you may hate) or vice versa (job you hate, company you like) but a new opportunity presents itself for more pay, better perceived advancement and the posters here are acting like they would turn it down. Some are advocating to have a "non compete" clause disallowing their employees the right to work for a competitor.

The transfer portal is crazy this year and maybe next year too but it will settle down as remember, these MCBB, WCBB, Baseball and Football players finally have their "freedom" so many are jumping at it.

I think @Vowelguy did sum it in a curious statement about Chicago State who was arguably the worst D1 team this year and in past years, where they have 7 players leaving and his question was "Where exactly do those kids think they're going to get another chance?"

So all these players put in but only 30% (at best) will find an ideal school. Some may have to take the best that is offered and it may be worse than their prior situation.
Then let's stop pretending these are students. They are simply semi-pro athletes looking for the best deal at any given moment.

Reaction Score
Is she comes (and stays 3 years), we will not need to worry too much about big recruits for a year or three.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah flew through the air to block a 3pt shot, caught the ball and went the length of the court for a made layup. I believe it was against Marquette but really am guessing, so...
And it can’t be denied that Liv blocks shots and runs the court really well so she’s more than capable of that exact play and she have made that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom