Cardoso to transfer[merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to transfer[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are lots of possible scenarios here. If Cardoso comes, that means she and ONO could split time at the 5 position. If either of them gets in early foul trouble,
is "off" that night, gets hurt or just needs a blow, the other one can sub in. Those two can reasonably split/share the post minutes more or less. Having Cardoso means none of the other players will be asked to play in the 5 hole this upcoming season.

I'm also assuming that at some point during the year, Piath Gabriel will learn the system and earn some meaningful minutes, and be available for spot duty as needed. You can also have both of them in the game at the same time with Liv at the top of the key (where she likes to play) and Cardoso on the block. If Dorka Juhasz is by chance gets in the game along with Cardoso and ONO, one could expect for UConn to get most of the rebounds on either end while those 3 were in the game. Not many teams would match up with a front line of 6-7, 6-5 and 6-4. :confused: Cardoso would simply complement what UConn already has. She would not be asked or expected to carry the team or do any heavy lifting. That job has been filled. :)
With the plethora of guards on this team, no one is going to see three posts on the floor at the same time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the plethora of guards on this team, no one is going to see three posts on the floor at the same time.
Do you consider Dorka a post player? She’s listed as a forward on Ohio State’s roster. I assume she will be used as a 4 by Geno.

Reaction Score
They could probably play 4 bigs 20 minutes a game and then 6 guards/wings could split the rest of the time.

Reaction Score
There are lots of possible scenarios here. If Cardoso comes, that means she and ONO could split time at the 5 position. If either of them gets in early foul trouble,
is "off" that night, gets hurt or just needs a blow, the other one can sub in. Those two can reasonably split/share the post minutes more or less. Having Cardoso means none of the other players will be asked to play in the 5 hole this upcoming season.

I'm also assuming that at some point during the year, Piath Gabriel will learn the system and earn some meaningful minutes, and be available for spot duty as needed. You can also have both of them in the game at the same time with Liv at the top of the key (where she likes to play) and Cardoso on the block. If Dorka Juhasz is by chance gets in the game along with Cardoso and ONO, one could expect for UConn to get most of the rebounds on either end while those 3 were in the game. Not many teams would match up with a front line of 6-7, 6-5 and 6-4. :confused: Cardoso would simply complement what UConn already has. She would not be asked or expected to carry the team or do any heavy lifting. That job has been filled. :)
Piath is going to have to make a big leap to see minutes this year, if Cardoso transfers to UConn I don't see how she gets any playing time. Deberry is a highly thought of recruit even though a freshman would be given minutes before Piath if warranted.

Reaction Score
I can appreciate your concerns about loyalty as it is an important aspect of the team dynamic in sports, but do you have the same standard for coaches who recruit players and then leave them high and dry for greener pastures? Did you say this about Morgan Valley who just bolted her team to rejoin UConn? Does her apparent lack of loyalty sicken you?
Yes, it bothers me just as much when a coach is not loyal and instead bolts for "greener" pastures. Of course when this occurred the players on the team could follow suit without having to sit out a year first. I realize this alone is/was still not fair to the student, as it is not much of a compensation. However, the school should have also demanded a high enough buyout clause in the contract so the coach would pay a substantial $$ penality for leaving "early". This way, not just the student athlete gets hurt, but the coach does too. In short, there is, or at least should have been, a substantial penalty for the coach who bolts/bolted before their contract is/was up. This helps/helped balance the tables somewhat, so both coach and player received a penalty...the player who chooses/chose to leave early is/was penalized by having to sit out 1 season and the coach who chooses/chose to leave early is/was (or should have been) penalized financially for not fullfilling the full length of their contract. However, in the upcoming new world order, players can bolt without penalty. Nice for them, but poaching of top players seems almost inevitable. This is not so nice for the team they leave behind.

Reaction Score
I think we all just need to go through the stages of grief and accept that college basketball is now different moving forward and getting closer to professional basketball. And this isn't a bad thing for the students. Universities have been making big bucks off these kids and then forcing them to suffer tough consequences if the kid decides that a decision they made at age 16 or 17 wasn't the right one for them. They aren't adults when signing these documents.

What are trades in the pros will now be transfers in college.... I applaud Geno and the staff for maximizing the roster since there are no guarantees anymore that a recruit will stay 4 yrs. Adaptation means survival.

Reaction Score
An even dozen in the portal from SU.
Approximately one third of all college students transfer before graduating. Right now, about one third of the women playing D1 basketball are in the portal. Doesn’t sound revolutionary to me.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

DO NOT SPECULATE ON TRANSFERS FROM UCONN

I’m tired of saying it
ridiculously too strict, but ok
Hard disagree, and as a new member, please know that this has been a rule forever. We have no idea what players, players' parents, recruits, recruits' parents, coaches, etc, read the BY. You want vitriole and knock down drag out board fights? There are other team boards that may let you do anything, but not here. The mods do a great job of giving us a decent length leash on certain topics, however will lock threads or delete posts if either go too far. There's a reason the BY has existed since, "forever."

Reaction Score
If you had seen her in high school you'd realize she's in far better shape now than she was then. A significant body transformation. She's lean now and she wasn't two years ago.
So she's willing to put the work in? Love it.

Reaction Score
Transfer Portal closes on May 1st. You only have eight days to witness crazy.
So how can a deadline possibly work, when one last minute decision can lead to another? Suppose for example a very good big say Cardosa makes a decision on April 30th. An existing big on her new team may have her future playing time squashed by that decision. She easily could want to enter the portal herself, but literally has no time to even think about that option, to explore options, consider academics and a wide variety of important factors. All because of a sudden totally unexpected action by an incoming transfer.

At least with the recruitment of freshmen, existing players generally have a good idea who their coaches are going after, and it is a much longer process. The activity in the portal has some predictability with players that were not getting playing time, but with the no wait scenario, many of these decisions come out of nowhere. The instability is not just with coaches and players moving rapidly, but also with existing players on both the teams they left, and the teams they are going to.

Cardosa only entered the portal after almost everybody else on her team did. So it certainly looks like she wasn't even thinking transfer until most of her team did. Transfers lead to more transfers, both from more players leaving in a mass exit like Syracuse, and players leaving because of a potential reduction of playing time from incoming transfers.

Part of me thinks that if there is a deadline, an extension or waiver should be given to existing players who could be adversely affected by a last second decision before the deadline, that they literally would not have time to even think about.

Reaction Score
So how can a deadline possibly work, when one last minute decision can lead to another? Suppose for example a very good big say Cardosa makes a decision on April 30th. An existing big on her new team may have her future playing time squashed by that decision. She easily could want to enter the portal herself, but literally has no time to even think about that option, to explore options, consider academics and a wide variety of important factors. All because of a sudden totally unexpected action by an incoming transfer.

At least with the recruitment of freshmen, existing players generally have a good idea who their coaches are going after, and it is a much longer process. The activity in the portal has some predictability with players that were not getting playing time, but with the no wait scenario, many of these decisions come out of nowhere. The instability is not just with coaches and players moving rapidly, but also with existing players on both the teams they left, and the teams they are going to.

Cardosa only entered the portal after almost everybody else on her team did. So it certainly looks like she wasn't even thinking transfer until most of her team did. Transfers lead to more transfers, both from more players leaving in a mass exit like Syracuse, and players leaving because of a potential reduction of playing time from incoming transfers.

Part of me thinks that if there is a deadline, an extension or waiver should be given to existing players who could be adversely affected by a last second decision before the deadline, that they literally would not have time to even think about.
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Everyone's basically a free agent now and coaches are going to have to spend a bit of time each season just re-recruiting players and bending over backwards to keep them happy. Never mind the tampering and poaching that goes on.

Reaction Score
Only if there is a coaching change or a player loses their scholarship.

Who knows how many times the goalposts will be moved, but this is the current rule:

Under current transfer rules, athletes in five sports, including football and men’s and women’s basketball, are ineligible in the first year they transfer. The new rule would allow all athletes to move freely at least once, though it includes some stipulations. Athletes must submit to their school a notification of transfer by certain dates to be immediately eligible at their next location. Fall- and winter-sport athletes would have to notify their schools by May 1, and spring sport athletes would have until July 1. However, because of the timing of the Council’s decision, the fall and winter sports’ notification date will be pushed this summer to July 1

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know we aren’t to speculate but Morgan Valley and Cardoso just followed each other on Instagram....
The rules forbid “harmful speculation” such as “I think she’s pregnant/a head case” and so on and also speculating on transfers from UConn because, historically, those threads have never ended well. If you think some post game threads are harsh on players, you should see a thread discussing which UConn players might/should transfer ?.

Other kinds of speculation such as “I think Geno will be recruiting point guards for next season” are no problem whatsoever nor is something like speculating if Hillsman might get fired from Syracuse. Message boards are rife with speculation of the interesting and non-harmful type, which is good. Besides, what you posted is a fact, not speculation. It’s fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rules forbid “harmful speculation” such as “I think she’s pregnant/a head case” and so on and also speculating on transfers from UConn because, historically, those threads have never ended well. If you think some post game threads are harsh on players, you should see a thread discussing which UConn players might/should transfer ?.

Besides, what you posted is a face, not speculation. It’s fine.
Ok I’m never sure as I’m not new to the board but new to actually posting thanks Nan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom