Cardoso to SC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geez. Worst-case scenario.

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Yes, but, they are both "inside bigs". And, don't think there's room for both of them inside the paint. Boston is limited. Not real mobile and scores most of her points with her ability to "body" other bigs within 3-5 ft of the basket. While a bit more athletic, and faster up and down the floor, Cardoso, too, is most effective within 3-5 ft of the basket. But, much like the LVs under Summit, Dawn, tends to focus on the paint, dumping the ball to her bigs, and depending on the paint to win games. But, we'll see how it falls into place. But, I do like our chances, and the support the addition of Dorka provides.

Reaction Score
Just so glad she didn't come to Uconn! Much prefer playing against her every year to having her on the squad. :eek: :confused: It will definitely be good practice for all of our bigs to go against twin towers, get them really ready for their WNBA careers! :eek::confused::cool:?
As much as I enjoy the WNBA I care much more about UConn and really couldn’t care about them playing against them to develop skills for the WNBA I care about UConn winning a national championship and this transfer just makes it exponentially more difficult.

Reaction Score
The concept of a Big is changing. The center big is getting bigger with Cardosa, Prince, and Betts coming in at 6'7". The 4 position is now getting bigger with SC having the ability to play Boston and Cardosa together and rotate Amihere at a very athletic 6'4". Uconn has Ono, Deberry, and Paith at 6'5" and Dorka at 6'4" can play the 4 or 5, and the Edwards who can transition from 5 to a three. Stanford has Brink and Prechel at 6'5 for the 5 or 4 with Betts at 6'7" coming in. Oregon matches up well with Prince at 6'7" and Sabally at 6'5". I think the trend is bigger even at the guard position. UConn lacked good bigs for a couple of years but as Dylan said The Times they are a changin.
Add to SC's bigs - incoming freshman Sania Feagin (6-3 or 6-4), Hoopgurlz #4.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Posted this on the other thread that's locked but curious to hear what all of you think:

Wow.....didn't see that coming. Is Dawn planning to play both Cardoso and Boston at the same time? SC was maybe the only destination in the country where I didn't think Cardoso was a good fit because they have a better true post (Boston) ahead of Kamilla for the next 2 years. This also creates quite a logjam inside with Feagin, Amihere and Saxton now coming off the bench.

Congrats to SC since they're getting an immensely talented player but I'm not sure this ultimately makes SC a much better team aside from that it keeps Cardoso away from other good teams.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Wait, what? Let's review the rosters for a second:
1. We have everyone returning except Anna.
2. We added Dorka Juhasz who has inside game to score, something Liv has been lacking.
3. We have 3 very strong players who will contribute, including the 2 top OUTSIDE shooters in Azzi and Caroline Ducharme
4. SC lost Grissett
5. Yes, SC added Cardoso but Liv did and will outplay her defensively and will do so again next year.
6. While Boston is a talent offensively, with Dorka we also have an inside scoring presence to add to Edwards that will require Boston to work on both ends of the floor.
7. SC is still suspect from outside shooting.
8. The point guard position for SC is still unproven
9. We have PAIGE and they don't

Remain calm, all is well.

Reaction Score
Now the question raises how are minutes spread around?
When I wrote my thoughts above Cardosa had chosen Syracuse OVER UCONN, UCONN was in the original mix, but SoCar now has Boston their best player having to deal with 6'7" Cardoso!
Remember SoCar had Wilson and Coates getting in each others way in the lane until Coates graduated could Wilson shine!
IMHO I bet the ranch that Geno got some negative feedback from his players and/or his recruits!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As much as I enjoy the WNBA I care much more about UConn and really couldn’t care about them playing against them to develop skills for the WNBA I care about UConn winning a national championship and this transfer just makes it exponentially more difficult.
I think you may have overlooked the sarcastic emoji in @UcMiami post.

Reaction Score
So UConn, Auburn and Texas are all not in.

2021-2022 season will be only between UConn and South Carolina.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
2. We added Dorka Juhasz who has inside game to score, something Liv has been lacking.
3. We have 3 very strong players who will contribute, including the 2 top OUTSIDE shooters in Azzi and Caroline Ducharme
4. SC lost Grissett
5. Yes, SC added Cardoso but Liv did and will outplay her defensively and will do so again next year.
6. While Boston is a talent offensively, with Dorka we also have an inside scoring presence to add to Edwards that will require Boston to work on both ends of the floor.

Grissett is returning though we may not notice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If by worst-case scenario, you mean best-case scenario; I agree. UConn is going to have to compete to win a title, no cake walk. Players will need to step-up their games. Where's the toughness coming from?

Reaction Score
4. SC lost Grissett

At least one thing is wrong with you post. LeLe Grissett returning for one more season with Dawn Staley, Gamecocks

Reaction Score
4. SC lost Grissett

Definitely calm. But I think Cardoso to SC is such a scary matchup. Liv was partially able to out perform Cardoso because she had not much talent surrounding her, that is not going to be the case at SC. They are going to be a huge team. I would have been much happier with her going literally anywhere else. But hey we’ll see. I’d love for Uconn to be the runaway favorites but it’s good for the game to have more elite teams.

Reaction Score
I was afraid this would happen…had a bad feeling and this puts SC on another level….
Like when Baylor played with the two bigs
Definitely a plus to South Carolina ….not sure they can have both bigs Boston and Cardoso at the same time and be effective
Dawn Being the USA National coach and dressing in brand names is appealing to some players….in this times of mad social media is a factor.
Still my money on UCONN

Reaction Score
There is no negative to this for SC. Spacing doesn't matter as much when you have two huge kids playing together. Not to mention Boston can hit the foul line jumper. They can run high low all day and space the floor with their other shooters. They are the favs next year as we will find it very hard to defend them. Yes they will have it hard defending us as well but our bigs aren't as good as theirs and they have quality guards/role players and look to be deep as well. Having DJ on the team will certainly help. Liv will need to completely reinvent herself next year.

GA will have to earn his money to beat SC next year. It will be much more difficult than figuring out how to defeat Arizona.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Now the question raises how are minutes spread around?
When I wrote my thoughts above Cardosa had chosen Syracuse OVER UCONN, UCONN was in the original mix, but SoCar now has Boston their best player having to deal with 6'7" Cardoso!
Remember SoCar had Wilson and Coates getting in each others way in the lane until Coates graduated could Wilson shine!
IMHO I bet the ranch that Geno got some negative feedback from his players and/or his recruits!
Understand that this is just your opinion but your opinion (however unintentionally) disparages a young lady. Cardoso chose to go to South Carolina. UCONN is not for everyone.

Reaction Score
There is no negative to this for SC. Spacing doesn't matter as much when you have two huge kids playing together. Not to mention Boston can hit the foul line jumper. They can run high low all day and space the floor with their other shooters. They are the favs next year as we will find it very hard to defend them. Yes they will have it hard defending us as well but our bigs aren't as good as theirs and they have quality guards/role players and look to be deep as well. Having DJ on the team will certainly help. Liv will need to completely reinvent herself next year.

GA will have to earn his money to beat SC next year. It will be much more difficult than figuring out how to defeat Arizona.
I think we actually match up with them decently. Although I do agree that it’ll be tough. Boston and Edwards will be able to guard each other and then Liv and Cardoso match up well together. Add in Dorka and I think we’ll be okay defensively. My concern is rebounding and then offensively we will need better production from our bigs. Let’s see how this plays out...

Reaction Score
I hope the people who didn't want her to come to UConn are happy...while having Cardoso and Boston on the floor the same time will have some challenges, Boston has been shooting pretty well (and improving) from the outside (including 3's) so this combination is pretty scary.

Reaction Score
Hope we have a killer non-conference schedule because UConn will need to be seriously battle-hardened to do what we all want to see. The challenge just got way more difficult.

psconn I'm not worried about SoCar! You shouldn't either!
Their National Championship was because UCONN lost to Miss St! in the Semi's If UCONN played SoCar in the title game that they would have won by 20+!
UCONN is a bad matchup for SoCar, then and now!
And SoCar beating UCONN 2 years ago was more UCONN LOST than SoCar WON!
Geno has Dawn's # no comparison as Head Coaches!

Reaction Score
I just can't get in a lather over this. Cardoso is a nice pickup for SC but she is more likely to be good than great and Dawn inherits the minutes allocation and future recruiting issues we worried about. We'll have 3 6'5" players on the bench so we aren't exactly without weapons to challage in the paint. Granted there are questions about Olivia, and Piath is still learning and Amari is a frosh. The latter two could easily be ready to be of real help by January. Then there is 6"3" Edwards, no shrinking violet banging down low. Add Paige, Azzi, Evina, Nika, Squeeks and a roomful of long wings, some of whom reportedly can shoot. I have no qualms about facing off with SC or anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom