Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is not the full quote and taken out of context. He said "It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage." Meaning UConn fans expect to win the first two rounds and move onto the Sweet sixteen as a given.
Hurley haters had to move on after reaching S16. Next step is, how could you lose to an eight seed even though anyone who is still playing is playing good basketball

Reaction Score
"It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage."

First I love Hurley and he's doing a great job. Not a fan on this quote.

At the game last night in section 129. On many occasions Hurley as well as Clingan would face towards the crowd to get up and make some noise (we responded). Didn't seem to mind his home fan base last night.

I really don't see an upside to this quote made postgame yesterday. Many fans like myself and those on the BY paid good money and time to see our team play. In return I find out it was more of a burden than an advantage. I'm sure St. Mary's would not agree with this.

Reaction Score
This is not the full quote and taken out of context. He said "It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage." Meaning UConn fans expect to win the first two rounds and move onto the Sweet sixteen as a given.
Here is the full quote.

"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose. I think in the first round and even the second round of tournaments, it is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

I don't see how you can read that and not see he is talking directly at a portion of the UConn fan base.

Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

"It is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.
LoL when I listened to that I thought the exact same thing. He is talking about Bonyeard meltdowns after losses. It is not just UConn though. It is every East Coast and Southeast college that fills a void where there are no pro teams. e.g. Kentucky, UNC, etc.

If I was a coach I make an emphasis to players to avoid Boneyard at all cost. I wonder if players reading all the negative comments in the middle of the season contributed to the slump. These players are just 18-21 years old and from a social media generation. These negative comments may very well mess with their confidence.

I live on the west coast now, and you don’t really see the pessimism as much here. e.g. people are still optimistic and positive that Warriors will turn their season around. On the East Coast they would be booing Steve Kerr and calling for him to be fired.

Reaction Score
When people say something negative about a player, coach, person here, they should ask themselves… Would I say this to the person face to face? Comments here are public for everyone to see, including the players and coaches. It is not same as ranting at a bar with your buddies in a private conversation.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Tommy Moore without a doubt is lurking on here somewhere. It’s also very easy to create a fake account and read on here as a lurker.
just curious, what makes you think that? Has he ever commented on it? Coach Moore, avert your eyes for your own sanity!

Reaction Score
Geno has been complaining about pressure from fans and the burden of expectations for decades. The right kind of players embrace it and take it as a challenge to prove the doubters wrong
True. But it's nonsense when fans who lose their s*** in a childish fit of anger later claim they were doing something good for the players motivationally. You were just crying. Own up. It takes a lot to control your emotions. Most adults never learn it. They use the "I'm someone who speaks their mind. And if you don't like it..." as if this is a good quality, not emotional laziness.

Reaction Score
Here is the full quote.

"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose. I think in the first round and even the second round of tournaments, it is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

I don't see how you can read that and not see he is talking directly at a portion of the UConn fan base.
I really encourage you to watch the entire interview.

It was in direct response to a question about if the players confidence has improved to their actual ability.

Dan wasn’t going after the fan base at all. Just saying that it’s a lot of pressure at UConn and now that the first 2 rounds are over “they can just go out and let it rip”.

Reaction Score
Geno has been complaining about pressure from fans and the burden of expectations for decades. The right kind of players embrace it and take it as a challenge to prove the doubters wrong

Yea, he knows how to frame it differently.

Take a look at this quote again:

That's cringe worthy

Reaction Score
Lots of sport fans are children, although not by age. That's not going to change. As for Hurley, buy the ticket, take the ride. I sympathize, but complaining about fans is like complaining about the weather. UCONN is in the Sw 16. Winning takes the trolls' volume down.

Reaction Score
I'd rather play or coach at a school with passionate fans who rise and fall with the team any day of the week, than one with an ambivalent fanbase who doesn't care. Pressure makes diamonds.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
On many occasions Hurley as well as Clingan would face towards the crowd to get up and make some noise (we responded). Didn't seem to mind his home fan base last night.

I really don't see an upside to this quote made postgame yesterday. Many fans like myself and those on the BY paid good money and time to see our team play. In return I find out it was more of a burden than an advantage.
Pretty clear that he was talking about bad actors on social media and not you in the stands. I wouldn't take it personally.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
when Tom Moore reports back to him, he will be feeling a lot of pressure from this thread. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yea, he knows how to frame it differently.

Take a look at this quote again:

That's cringe worthy
Yeah, Geno is a lot more tactful

“Some of our fans are so goshdarn stupid it’s unbelievable,” Auriemma said. “They complain a lot of times that we have no competition and it’s boring. Then if we play a really good team and don’t play our A-game, they b**** that something’s wrong with UConn: ‘This kid’s not any good. That kid’s not any good. Geno Auriemma got outcoached by this coach.’ It’s unbelievable.

[Note: he didn’t say “gosh darn”]

"We have a spoiled group of fans who assume we are going to win, who assumed we would be in Philadelphia [for the regionals] and be at the Final Four," Auriemma told reporters. "We had the season, the Big East [tournament and now the NCAA tournament. You are asking them to do a lot. So I think we don't bid on [hosting the NCAA first round] for five years."

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is like all of us- arrogant. The difference is that he knows what he is talking about and most of us don’t. Outside of basketball, I’m sure he has all kind of opinions and prescriptions for how everything else should work or be done. This is what I term -“AWBS”. I suffer from it so can recognize it. It is most evident when you hear a certain type of person speaking authoritatively about something with which they have little actual experience. Doesn’t matter the subject, they feel entitled to not only have an opinion but also to express it without challenge. Nothing wrong with Danny that ain’t wrong with us.

Reaction Score
LoL when I listened to that I thought the exact same thing. He is talking about Bonyeard meltdowns after losses. It is not just UConn though. It is every East Coast and Southeast college that fills a void where there are no pro teams. e.g. Kentucky, UNC, etc.

If I was a coach I make an emphasis to players to avoid Boneyard at all cost. I wonder if players reading all the negative comments in the middle of the season contributed to the slump. These players are just 18-21 years old and from a social media generation. These negative comments may very well mess with their confidence.

I live on the west coast now, and you don’t really see the pessimism as much here. e.g. people are still optimistic and positive that Warriors will turn their season around. On the East Coast they would be booing Steve Kerr and calling for him to be fired.

I don't like it but I'll take a rowdy fanbase over the alternative. Go to a BC game a few times if you like passivity. Or go to a Bruins game when the Flyers or Montreal are in town. If you dare. I was in Athens when the World Cup was about to start 10- 15 years ago. The afternoon that the planes were coming in filled with the English soccer clubs terrified everyone. They closed their shops and restaurants that afternoon. I would too. Go to any big soccer arena in South America and you will notice chain link fence separating various fan sections. They mean business. We're not there yet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Proof DH still has a long way to go as a coach. Would he rather the fans not care? We are no where near as hostile as other top programs.

He doesn't last 3 years without an NCAA win at UNC, Duke, Kentucky and as we are about to find out Cuse.

It's fine to deflect your players and the press' attention from fan board hysteria but there are better ways to do it. As in...

Our fans are passionate, they want to see us succeed. The team needs to help that. I need to help that. We are building the next great chapter of UConn basketball. I know our fans are there for us when we need them.

Reaction Score
Pretty clear that he was talking about bad actors on social media and not you in the stands. I wouldn't take it personally.
" I think in the first round and even the second round of tournaments, it is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

But this goes directly at the fans going to games, doesn't matter where you play for social media bad actors to show up.

That comment says to me he wants to play on road not "at home" in front of fan bases in early rounds of tourney.

Reaction Score
Good grief. You can really tell who read or listened to the the interview vs those who are reacting to an out of context quote without bothering to read any further.
See my last post. Haters gonna hate

Reaction Score
Proof DH still has a long way to go as a coach. Would he rather the fans not care? We are no where near as hostile as other top programs.

He doesn't last 3 years without an NCAA win at UNC, Duke, Kentucky and as we are about to find out Cuse.

It's fine to deflect your players and the press' attention from fan board hysteria but there are better ways to do it. As in...

Our fans are passionate, they want to see us succeed. The team needs to help that. I need to help that. We are building the next great chapter of UConn basketball. I know our fans are there for us when we need them.

You're not building anything dude. It's not that hard to tell from this thread who was directing vile stuff toward Andre Jackson in January.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Do u really think UK fans are easier on the team than Ct fans after a loss?
No, but that's the highest of bars to cross and one I hope to never approach. Saying we aren't as bad as UK isn't saying much.

It's dangerous game Dan is playing here if he is using the Us against the world (including our own fans) motivator. That's kinda pushing all in. I'm good with it (if it works) ;)

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

I's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member