Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's also a weird thing to totally make something up when you respond to a post, instead of referring to the quote I have been referencing.

Who does that?
Where the heck is that STFU emoji?

Reaction Score
So it’s only UConn Twitter? No one on here is insanely critical and basically looking for something to be negative about? Riiiiight, this kind of BS is why I barely come here anymore

Do I really need to explain this? UConn twitter is where fans can directly interact with players and coaches. That does not happen on the yard, even with the most ridiculous of takes.

Use some critical thinking, big guy.

Why are you taking so much offense?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what you think or spin. You are not in the living rooms. I guess your position is there is no negative recruiting? It's there to use.

If you think me repeating that quote was me making him look bad, then it must look bad to you too.

Shoot the messenger much?
I think you lying about the quote to try and make him look bad was the dumb part. The actual quote is not a negative

Reaction Score
That's great ammunition for opposing coaches to recruit against. Saying our fan base makes it worse than others

I wish he would think about the things he says
If guys are scared to come here because of a small group of crazy fans saying some dumb stuff on social media or at games then we probably don't want those softies anyway.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its going to be a lot more very soon.
We'll see.................

This is not the full quote and taken out of context. He said "It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage." Meaning UConn fans expect to win the first two rounds and move onto the Sweet sixteen as a given.

And the problem with that expectation is??

Reaction Score
I think you lying about the quote to try and make him look bad was the dumb part. The actual quote is not a negative

This is what you are left to resort to? Are you 12 years old?

How can someone lie about another person's quote?

Reaction Score
If guys are scared to come here because of a small group of crazy fans saying some dumb stuff on social media or at games then we probably don't want those softies anyway.

Hardooooooo

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what you think or spin. You are not in the living rooms. I guess your position is there is no negative recruiting? It's there to use.

If you think me repeating that quote was me making him look bad, then it must look bad to you too.

Shoot the messenger much?

I think Hurley said exactly what he meant. And I agree 100% what he said. As for recruiting, any negative can be turned into a positive. Pressure at this level is a positive. Pressure makes diamonds.

I also like that he called out the idiots and the reactionaries and the click bators. There are far too many of them in UConn Nation. Spend a game in the chat room. There is huge difference between critiquing a players performance and attacking a player personally. The former is inbounds and the latter is out of bounds.

Anyone who doesn't think UConn mens basketball fans don't go way out of bounds merely need to visit the women's board to see the difference.

Reaction Score
This is what you are left to resort to? Are you 12 years old?

How can someone lie about another person's quote?
I'd defer that question to you, the person who has been taking the quote out of context and then mischaracterizing the meaning across this entire thread

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Was this from the full presser? (I haven't listened to it yet) Contrast what you put in your post to this interview with SNY:

He says something very similar but indicated how it helped the team grow. He also has a hilarious answer to whether he'd take his shirt off after a win on Thursday:

Hilarious!!!

Reaction Score
Were in the sweet 16 this thread is stupid. You can obviously see Hurley’s quote getting taken out of context, not a single player or coach in this program cares less about winning then any fan.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley said exactly what he meant. And I agree 100% what he said. As for recruiting, any negative can be turned into a positive. Pressure at this level is a positive. Pressure makes diamonds.

I also like that he called out the idiots and the reactionaries and the click bators. There are far too many of them in UConn Nation. Spend a game in the chat room. There is huge difference between critiquing a players performance and attacking a player personally. The former is inbounds and the latter is out of bounds.

Anyone who doesn't think UConn mens basketball fans don't go way out of bounds merely need to visit the women's board to see the difference.
Have you seen Giants forums with fans twisting their own narrative of Daniel Jones bashing hmmm, interesting you were only on the Giants theread to start the year and then showed up when the season was over.

Reaction Score
I'd defer that question to you, the person who has been taking the quote out of context and then mischaracterizing the meaning across this entire thread

You are lost, I explained how it can be taken out of context and used by others across this entire thread.

You wouldn't or of course couldn't answer my question either.

Thanks for the mind bender

Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

"It is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.
Totally disagree, i live in the south and he should try alabama football or Kentucky basketball. Bottom line he has rebuilt the program but needs to win to earn patience and respect. His recruiting has been excellent, game coaching needs improvement. If he loses to a very limited Arkansas squad he deserves a lot of criticism. Its a process, hopefully he continues to grow and improve. Big East refs hate his demeanor and antics and punish the team. No mistake the ooc success with neutral officials. Outstanding recruiting this year, need to at least beat Arkansas. No limits beyond that.

Reaction Score

Or go to a game and listen to what is said about players during the game. Has happened forever - Taliek, Dyson I could give you a list - criticize the coach, kids should be off limits. Difference was then it was only in the stands - now its all over social media for all to see.

Reaction Score
Simple enough. Many are satisfied with Sweet 16...I am not. This team has the talent to win it all. One poster said we are playing with house money. Wow, the bar has been officially lowered.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
3qzg9h.jpg

Reaction Score
What a stupid take by the OP. College and Midwest people are less reactionary about college sports? Have you ever heard of football?
College FB fandom is packed with irrational nuts.

Reaction Score
And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.
True. I retired to SC last July and live near Clemson. Football is not just King down here, it is the Emperor. When Clemson lost their bowl game to Tennessee I thought that the area would implode, but instead it was met with reserved disappointment - no calling for Dabo Sweeney’s head, no berating the players for their performance. I’m enjoying the calmer atmosphere (and the snow-free winter!).

Reaction Score
We'll see.................

This is not the full quote and taken out of context. He said "It is more of a burden to play at UConn in the first two rounds of the tournament than it is an advantage." Meaning UConn fans expect to win the first two rounds and move onto the Sweet sixteen as a given.

And the problem with that expectation is??
This isn’t fought to figure out.

The problem is the players are more likely to play tight. The underdogs are more likely to play loose because there’s no pressure on them. He specifically referenced the pressure on players.

It’s a big reason why upsets happen, and why we looked so bad the first half of both games. Full stop.

Hurley is not complaining about the pressure of having to win. He fully understands the job he signed up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom