Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Can't believe Hurley said this but you know who he is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here is the full quote.

"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose. I think in the first round and even the second round of tournaments, it is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

I don't see how you can read that and not see he is talking directly at a portion of the UConn fan base.
You double downed on the quote. I posted the ESPN article. Here is the quote:

"Playing at UConn, it's just you deal with a lot more pressure and criticism and like immediate meltdowns on social when you lose," Dan Hurley said. "I think in the first and even second round of tournaments, it's more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage.

"Especially in that first-round game, just being able to get that first one, I thought the team just was a lot looser today. Obviously now you get to the Sweet 16, you can really just kind of go out and just let it rip."

He was talking about the pressure on the players caused by the expectations of playing at UConn!

Now a lot of people will fail to read the full context of the quote. It's no different than at any program which has success. He knows it and players know it. But knowing it and dealing with it are two different things. And now because you lost your dung over partially reading or misreading of the statement this forum is over reacting. The damage will not be undone.

Good Lord there many people who should not speak! I have spoken!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes we (collectively the UConn fan base) can be overly demanding s. I'm pretty confident that Hurley knew this going in and wouldn't have it any other way.

That doesn't mean that he can't point out in an interview that being in a position to celebrate (first sweet sixteen for him and his players) should feel like an accomplishment, not relief that you passed a minimum standards exam.
Yes, this is how I take it. Some people celebrate graduating from high school. Others considerate the minimum standard for being a functional adult, and a step towards something more. UConn fans expect an undergraduate degree and hope for a Masters or Doctorate.

But the difference, and Dan knows this, is that by the time the next game rolls around (well before actually) we are all back on team UConn. We had as horrible a first round exit as could be imagined last year, yet we were all brimming with optimism during the off season. That's not a burden, that's a blessing.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why does DH insist on being a whining on his was to the S16,and creating negative recruiting sentiment to boot. He really needs to toughen up on this stuff. And yes, I know he is talking about playing but pick a freaking spot for the commentary.
Maybe the problem is not Hurley but the OP. Here is the full quote:

"Playing at UConn, it's just you deal with a lot more pressure and criticism and like immediate meltdowns on social when you lose," Dan Hurley said. "I think in the first and even second round of tournaments, it's more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage.

"Especially in that first-round game, just being able to get that first one, I thought the team just was a lot looser today. Obviously now you get to the Sweet 16, you can really just kind of go out and just let it rip."

I wish I didn't have to spoken!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You're not building anything dude. It's not that hard to tell from this thread who was directing vile stuff toward Andre Jackson in January.

I didn't realize the first two rounds were held in January.

Calhoun loved being sent out west because it was less pressure on the team to be playing away from the Horde.

In 2011 and 2014 playing near home was huge. We dominated MSG for years.

The difference is the make up of the teams and the level of anxiety of that particular run. These guys have no connection to or memory of 2011. It makes sense that they would rather be away from the fans. Hurley shouldn't be calling out the fans. That is all there is to say.

Reaction Score
I actually think he has a point about our fan base. I think we actually are a bit insane. And it is different here.

We're neurotic and pessimistic because of everything that's happened in the last 25 years. We had a legendary Coach who brought us national titles and relevance and something to care about.

And then conference realignment destroyed all of that, and left both our football and basketball teams in shambles. We're out here trying to beat Tulane and East Carolina to get into the NCAA's. Its brutal.

We all experienced a kind of shared existential dread. Is this program going to die? People talking about going down to D2 in football.

Geno would be fine because he's Geno (and its even hurt him and the ladies' glorious program).

But man... the Men's Basketball team? In a world more fierce and competitive while we're making less than every single P6 school?

We were terrified. And Hurley came in and yeah its all the pressure in the world. It isn't just about the Sweet 16. Its about survival. Are we going to survive? Are we going to be able to compete? Are we going to maintain our identity or will it just be some sad memory we explain to our grandkids?

So yeah we're a little messed up. Trauma does that to people.

We're just negative because we've experienced something like 10 straight years of relentless negative things happening.

But don't worry. With enough therapy and National Titles, we will recover.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

He was talking about the pressure on the players caused by the expectations of playing at UConn!

Now a lot of people will fail to read the full context of the quote. It's no different than at any program which has success. He knows it and players know it. But knowing it and dealing with it are two different things. And now because you lost your dung over partially reading or misreading of the statement this forum is over reacting. The damage will not be undone.

Edit:

@Palatine I owe you an apology! I just read a Fox article which omitted the second part of the quote! If you quoted that article they committed that second paragraph! So much like the old game of telephone.

This is the way!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
We are in the sweet 16. Have a great recruiting class. The program is healthy and humming. UConn basketball is a fun event again. Must see tv. So instead of enjoying all this, you want to parse every word, some even out of context. Some of you don't know how to be happy and enjoy things. This constant angst and thirst for drama, even when it isn't there is bizarre.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I actually think he has a point about our fan base. I think we actually are a bit insane. And it is different here.

We're neurotic and pessimistic because of everything that's happened in the last 25 years. We had a legendary Coach who brought us national titles and relevance and something to care about.

And then conference realignment destroyed all of that, and left both our football and basketball teams in shambles. We're out here trying to beat Tulane and East Carolina to get into the NCAA's. Its brutal.

We all experienced a kind of shared existential dread. Is this program going to die? People talking about going down to D2 in football.

Geno would be fine because he's Geno (and its even hurt him and the ladies' glorious program).

But man... the Men's Basketball team? In a world more fierce and competitive while we're making less than every single P6 school?

We were terrified. And Hurley came in and yeah its all the pressure in the world. It isn't just about the Sweet 16. Its about survival. Are we going to survive? Are we going to be able to compete? Are we going to maintain our identity or will it just be some sad memory we explain to our grandkids?

So yeah we're a little messed up. Trauma does that to people.

We're just negative because we've experienced something like 10 straight years of relentless negative things happening.

But don't worry. With enough therapy and National Titles, we will recover.
I remember a preseason tournament early in DH's time here where while he was giving a post game presser, a number of UConn fans were banging on the walls yelling U C O N N, UConn, UConn, UConn.

He immediately responded "that is why I came here".

I wouldn't worry about this

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here is the full quote.

"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose. I think in the first round and even the second round of tournaments, it is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

I don't see how you can read that and not see he is talking directly at a portion of the UConn fan base.
Instead of ignoring it which he should do he is trying to get the last word in (he is being victimized).
That sounds like Pitino's whining about the "non legal types" of the NCAA. No further comment. Most coaches tell their players to stay away from places like social media and I agree. They have a enough to focus on. Most of the criticism I saw on DH on the BY was warranted. Most of the stuff that isn't gets called out by numerous people who can articulate exactly what is wrong with the post. I'd much rather read the BY posts then most tv media and then when something good comes up on tv or elsewhere it gets shared on the BY. So if he is referring to the BY I don't agree.

Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

"It is more of a burden to play at UConn than it is an advantage"

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.
He's right. Many fans and media missed the boat on this team. The team is good. Why is every game a referendum on UConn sports?

Reaction Score
"Playing at UConn you deal with a lot more presure and criticism and, like, immediate meltdown on social media when you lose."

The first statement might be true of college sports fans. But the second is aimed directly at a portion of our fan base. If there was ever an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut this is it. There is something in the character of folks from New England in general but Connecticut in particular that rings true in Hurley's quotes.

I see it in myself and have tried to step back from it. But darn, Hurley didn't pull any punches. It should make everyone think. And if you think this is true of everywhere, live in places like in the south or midwest. They are much less reactionary than the northeast.
Connecticut. Land of steady bitch and moan habits.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that so many are bothered, either weirdly assuming he's talking about 'me' on the boneyard or twitter and weirder that folks think the random coach post-game comment is immediately part of the biosphere that every UConn recruit will become aware of.

1. It is normal to try and dissuade over reactions from fan base, at every level of sports the participants understand one team wins and one team loses each game.
2. It is entirely possible he's talking MOSTLY about people on instagram or tik-tok or wherever the players have social media accounts getting negative comments directly to these players. Regardless though, see #1 it is ok for coach to say its noise that isn't helpful to try and deter. If you feel shame upon hearing that, think more before you post that next something overly critical.
3. UCONN is and will get more recruits b/c this UCONN team is winning. They deserve the great pub and the fruits of their labors are some great accomplishments this year. Enjoy it now and enjoy later as the recruiting fruits fall into the 'yard for years to come!
If it was just a social media thing then why doesn’t he want to play “in” CT for first rds of tourney. That’s the part of comments i don’t get.

Agreed social media is awful, I have no FB or twitter and feel I’m way better off for it.

Reaction Score

My quote is 100% correct from the presser.

You just added the next paragraph. Read it again. He was talking about pressure and criticism of the players by the fan base on social media. It was EXACTLY as I said, an indictment of the Negative Nellies in Connecticut. BTW the phrase "a lot more" directly contradicts your opinion that "it's no different than at any other programs." He is literal saying it's a lot more at UConn but you fall to grasp that.

Some people apparently cannot take what the coach said at face value.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This. He doesn't like being criticized when his teams underperform. He came into a Blue Blood program with a rich history. Take your 3 mil plus bonuses and hush.
You guys are silly. Hurley is as thick-skinned as anyone. His "comments" all came as part of addressing the elephant in the room. Now that the elephant is gone, I can't see this becoming an ongoing topic of discussion. And he does hush. He never throws players under the bus even when that may have been the place for them.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score

I think Hurley has read the Official Fire Dan Hurley thread. Maybe he even commented in the thread itself.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You guys are silly. Hurley is as thick-skinned as anyone. His "comments" all came as part of addressing the elephant in the room. Now that the elephant is gone, I can't see this becoming an ongoing topic of discussion. And he does hush. He never throws players under the bus even when that may have been the place for them.

No he's not. And while he has a filter regarding his players, as you point out, which is probably the most important kind to have, he's more apt to run his mouth than I'd like. I love his passion and I'm willing to take the bad with the good. Be that as it may, while I love what DH is doing for the program, let's not pretend his mouth doesn't and won't get him in trouble with the refs, the fanbase and the media. Like I said, I'm Team Hurley but if you think he's gonna be a Boy Scout all the time, then you're going to be disappointed. Just because we got to the Sweet 16 and he's off the proverbial hot seat he's not going to fundamentally change who he is.

(I genuinely would've thought your post was satire but for your final serious -- and accurate -- sentence.)

Reaction Score
If it was just a social media thing then why doesn’t he want to play “in” CT for first rds of tourney. That’s the part of comments i don’t get.

Agreed social media is awful, I have no FB or twitter and feel I’m way better off for it.
You're getting mad about something he didn't even say. Where did he say he doesn't want to play in Connecticut for the first few rounds?

Reaction Score
What Hurley said is the same thing, pro sports coaches from New York say all the time. Some markets have a very active passionate fan base, and it creates more pressure on those teams to win. Some players are going to love the spotlight and the pressure, some will not. By winning those to games, the pressure of failing is now gone, as no matter what happens this year is a success. With that weight of their back, this team might really take off.

Reaction Score
He's getting paid 3 million a year to put up with the fan base. I really don't care if people criticize him unnecessarily, however obnoxious it is.

My issue is when fans start going after individual players. There's no one on our team who isn't giving it their all every night. And they aren't being compensated to put up with the vile BS UConn Twitter will throw at them.
So it’s only UConn Twitter? No one on here is insanely critical and basically looking for something to be negative about? Riiiiight, this kind of BS is why I barely come here anymore

Reaction Score
I don't think a single coach will see this quote to use in recruiting, let alone care enough to try and spin it as some negative the way you are to make Hurley look bad

It doesn't matter what you think or spin. You are not in the living rooms. I guess your position is there is no negative recruiting? It's there to use.

If you think me repeating that quote was me making him look bad, then it must look bad to you too.

Shoot the messenger much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24