Candace Parker on First Take | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Candace Parker on First Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did Candice just insult every player that didn't go to UConn. She pretty much says that everyone else just got the dregs. I guess it was an attempt at a shot a Geno, but it seems pretty disrespectful of other players.

Yes, and aren't there a lot of players who choose to go elsewhere so they can be the ones to beat UConn?

I'm not surprised that she doesnt like UConn, but she completely ignores the recruiting facts (among other facts!).

Reaction Score
That whine has got to be bitter, considering the sour grapes it is made from!

I wish one of our stats geeks would make a table of the rankings of the recruiting classes of the top Universities in WCBB over the last 10 years. Actually I wish ESPN would do it and publish it!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Here is the clip from today's First Take, for those interested:

Candace: "In college basketball it comes down to recruiting. And right now UConn has a monopoly in that. You go to Connecticut, you're guaranteed a championship. You're guaranteed to have a chance to play for USA Basketball. You're guaranteed a lot of different things. I have to remind them, when we were in college, there was a lot of parity. There were a lot of different players that went different places and challenged Tennessee. .... And I have to say, we did defeat them every time we played them when I was in college [Stephen A. Smith laughs]. I gotta throw that, how do you call it, throw that salt ...."

Wow. There is just so much wrong, on both a factual level and a character level, with all of this. Where to even start. I have to ask myself: Is she really that uninformed (I'm trying hard not to use the word 'dumb'), or is she just that dishonest?

Can someone please direct me again to the stats and numbers on Tennessee's recruiting classes in those years? Wasn't the class of Parker-Anosike-Hornbuckle-Bobbitt one of the most heralded and highly ranked classes ever? Not to mention all the other years that Tennessee raked in the top-rated recruiting class.

Also, did anyone get a screen grab of ESPN's graphic, which they've shown multiple times, of how several teams currently have more McD's AAs on their roster than UConn does?

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I loved the highlights :)
I don't think Steven A. Smith is a big fan of women's basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CP
why
do you
make it so
hard for me to keep on loving you? Why?
You are a dime and a queen of the hardwood court. Why?
You are a big time baller and a role model to millions of young women. Why?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I always take into account (the source) when the "haters" outside of UConn Nation, when they make that snide remark: "UConn gets all the best recruits", where the comments are coming from, and the obvious jealousy that accompanies that statement. Breaking News..........UConn does not get all of the best recruits, it just seems like they do.

Common sense and a little math....................
would tell you it's impossible for UConn to get ALL of the best recruits every year. As UConn insiders, WE KNOW Geno's secret with respect to recruiting. He doesn't always get the best or most talented recruit, he (like Bill Belichick) gets the recruits that want to come to UConn, has a great work ethic and skill set, and will fit (merge seamlessly) into his system. Players that want to come to a top rated program and be coached by some the best coaches in WCBB.

In the 2017 class, Geno got the # 1 recruit, Megan Walker. He also got the # 14 recruit Mikayla Coombs. Tennessee got the #2, 9 & 12 recruits. There were 12 other highly ranked recruits between Walker at #1, and Coombs at #14 that Geno did not get. Any other program could have recruited these players. Did Geno get all of the best recruits from this class? Or did he get a few?, including Lexie Gordon at #29, and Andrea Espinosa-Hunter at 37.

If Geno had got the best players from this class, he would have gotten the top 4. Theoretically, they are the best in the class, right? UConn is not credited with having the #1 recruiting class for 2017, Tennessee is. The haters will still insist that UConn gets ALL of the best recruits.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CP
why
do you
make it so
hard for me to keep on loving you? Why?
You are a dime and a queen of the hardwood court. Why?
You are a big time baller and a role model to millions of young women. Why?
Dear CP,
It is not about the UCONN having a Monopoly on recruits. It is about the development of the recruit(s). In 2014 your Lady Vols signed the #6 recruit in the country Jamie Nared to add to the co-number 1 players from the 2013 class Mercedes Russell and Diamond Deshields. In 2015 UCONN also signed the #6 player Napheesa Collier & #1 KLS. Jamie Nared and Mercedes are by all accounts terrific young women, as basketball players Jamie & Mercedes are struggling to make one of the 3 All-SEC teams,while KLS & Napheesa are NPOY candidates and have already contributed to a NATIONAL championship team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CP appearing in the celebrity all star game. I think the other WNBA player is Lindsey Whalen. I see a lot of 1 on 1 :rolleyes:.

Nneka also.

Last edited:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Wait...I thought Drake had the monopoly on recruiting! :confused:

Must suck to be Parker...what, with Drake in the top 25 and the Lady Vols unranked and quickly fading into the dustbin of history! :p

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Must suck to be Parker...what, with Drake in the top 25 and the Lady Vols unranked and quickly fading into the dustbin of history! :p

They have the #1 class coming next year according to multiple services. This should mean lots of wins and some titles going by Candace logic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They have the #1 class coming next year according to multiple services. This should mean lots of wins and some titles going by Candace logic.

Yet another fact that contradicts Candace's "monopoly" theory. SMH.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wait...I thought Drake had the monopoly on recruiting! :confused:

The interesting thing about what Drake is doing is that they are on the come, and they're doing it with players that are not of caliber (talent level) that Tennessee is able to recruit. Drake has not, is not, and will probably never compete with Tennessee for the same recruits. None of the top 50 recruits in most classes list DRAKE as a possible destination. Most of them don't even know where Drake is (Drake University is a private, co-educational university in Des Moines, Iowa). I just checked. Drake did not sign any of the top 100 recruits from the 2016 or 2017 ESPN HoopGurlz class.
So far, they have not received a commitment from any member of the 2018 ESPN HoopGurlz class yet. I'll park it there. I think you get my point. :cool:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
The interesting thing about what Drake is doing is that they are on the come, and they're doing it with players that are not of caliber (talent level) that Tennessee is able to recruit. Drake has not, is not, and will probably never compete with Tennessee for the same recruits. None of the top 50 recruits in most classes list DRAKE as a possible destination. Most of them don't even know where Drake is (Drake University is a private, co-educational university in Des Moines, Iowa). I just checked. Drake did not sign any of the top 100 recruits from the 2016 or 2017 ESPN HoopGurlz class.
So far, they have not received a commitment from any member of the 2018 ESPN HoopGurlz class yet. I'll park it there. I think you get my point. :cool:
You need to lay off the caffeine! ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMG_0002.JPG

Reaction Score
i liked it. sorry but playing for UCONN does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball. it's just a reality. Geno should go back to letting other coaches have the honor of coaching the team. it's fair and keeps USA ball from even dealing with these issues. i am sure i will catch some heat but these are just my thoughts....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
i liked it. sorry but playing for UCONN does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball. it's just a reality. Geno should go back to letting other coaches have the honor of coaching the team. it's fair and keeps USA ball from even dealing with these issues. i am sure i will catch some heat but these are just my thoughts....
It is indeed an honor to coach my National Team. That honor must be earned! A good start would be coaching a team that has actually beat UCONN which is Geno's main gig. So who did you have in mind?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You'll get your wish as Geno has already announced that he was stepping down as HC of USA ball following last summers Olympic gold medal.

Probably won't be a single UConn grad on the women's team in 2020. :rolleyes:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I loved the highlights :)
I don't think Steven A. Smith is a big fan of women's basketball.

No he's just a fan of controversy. And Parker helped him out with that.
She had to slip that remark in there about being selected for USA basketball. Sour grapes all the way.

Reaction Score
Name a players from Uconn who played USA basketball and would not have made the team if they
i liked it
had come from another University?

BS. All the former Uconn players on USA basketball would have made the team regardless of what university they attended. Talent is talent. Tennessee fans are delusional and dare I say jealous!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You make it sound like he forced himself on USA Basketball. Truth is, he had a lot of pressure put on him to coach a second Olympics.

Auriemma: No interest in return as U.S. coach

Geno Auriemma to coach Olympic team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member