Candace Parker on First Take | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Candace Parker on First Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i liked it. sorry but playing for UCONN does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball. it's just a reality. Geno should go back to letting other coaches have the honor of coaching the team. it's fair and keeps USA ball from even dealing with these issues. i am sure i will catch some heat but these are just my thoughts....

Another myth. Most of those players started playing USA BB before they ever attended UConn. Stewart and Tuck were both on USA BB teams before they ever signed with UConn. Same with samuelson and Collier. Jefferson didn't play for USA util after she signed but was she on the team because she went to UConn or because she was an outstanding pg?

And as for the UConn players on the Olympic team, sure there were a lot of them this past year, but which of them had no business there? Taurasi? Moore? Charles? Bird? Stewart? You'll say Stewart but USA has always brought in a young player or 2 to maintain continuity. And if you look it up Stewart got more votes than Parker for last year's WNBA MVP. UConn is well represented on the national team but every one of them deserves it. Remember when Parker made the team while a couple of veterans who were better and more experienced were not picked? But I'll bet you had no objection then did you?

With the exception of some loud whiners connected to Knoxville the entire world celebrated the past Olympic squad as one where the team was all that mattered and as the best team ever. Every member of that team was unanimous in saying it was one of their greatest pleasures of their career to play for Geno. Lawson and even Catchings have nothing but praise for Geno. Parker stands alone among former LV's to refuse to show even a smidge of respect for him. JMO but I'd guess that at some point he put a dent in her ego.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i liked it. sorry but playing for UCONN does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball. it's just a reality. Geno should go back to letting other coaches have the honor of coaching the team. it's fair and keeps USA ball from even dealing with these issues. i am sure i will catch some heat but these are just my thoughts....
That's bull$hit. Geno does not select the team. The committee does. Playing for UCONN does NOT give anyone an automatic anything. HOWEVER just listen to coaches rave about how "pro ready" UCONN players are even as rookies right out of college - and moreover, rave about their work ethic, leadership, etc etc. Additionally, most players who make the US National team came up thru the ranks playing as 15 year olds for national teams as youngsters. If they continue to develop and respect/represent for the US National Teams for their age groups, they will continue to be considered.

And name a single player who hasn't been deserving of being on the US National team but who somehow made it over a more deserving player. I can think of one recently (from a pure talent perspective)- Catchings. And yet I don't her Tenn fans crying about how she didn't belong. She's an icon, but this past Olympics for her was more about her career and being deserving because she's been phenomenal for years. She was the last player off the bench and if anyone was left off the team it would have been her.

Instead of trying to perpetuate the myth/lie that UCONN somehow has an unfair inside advantage, how about acknowledging the reality that UCONN has the best coaches who get the most out of their players and give them the best chances to be successful as pros and beyond?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's bull$hit. Geno does not select the team. The committee does. Playing for UCONN does NOT give anyone an automatic anything. HOWEVER just listen to coaches rave about how "pro ready" UCONN players are even as rookies right out of college.

And name a single player who hasn't been deserving of being on the US National team but who somehow made it over a more deserving player. I can think of one recently (from a pure talent perspective)- Catchings. And yet I don't her Tenn fans crying about how she didn't belong. She's an icon, but this past Olympics for her was more about her career and being deserving because she's been phenomenal for years. She was the last player off the bench and if anyone were left off the team it would have been her.

Instead of trying to perpetuate the myth/lie that UCONN somehow has an unfair inside advantage, how about acknowledging the reality that UCONN has the best coaches who get the most out of their players and give them the best chances to be successful as pros?
Agree with your main points. One point of clarification though. While you are correct that the committee selects the team, they do solicit input from the HC prior to making their selections.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree with your main points. One point of clarification though. While you are correct that the committee selects the team, they do solicit input from the HC prior to making their selections.
Totally agree. Of course the HC has input. And any player who was taught to think creatively to read offenses and defenses would have been at the top of Geno's wish list. Sadly, most coaches don't know how to teach that, and it's not like Team USA has months to play together and prepare. But point taken.

Reaction Score
Oh my !!! Candace - So many thoughts here.....

On the Olympics snub, she did not address it, thank goodness.... would be another old topic to volley around again.... yes she is uber talented no question.... but the committee chose the team not Geno, and if some think that is not true and Geno had influence, I will NEVER question Geno's method of building a and molding a team

I have nothing but amazing things to say about Candace as a TV person.... obviously very photogenic, and intelligent, introspective, and not overly wordy. I think of John Madden in the same way that a complex sports situation can be explained with a measured amount of words and in a very simple manner so that anyone can understand.... I am sure Candace has a rich future in TV if she wants it after she retires.

I caught her comment about beating UConn every time she played them.... of course the series ended up 13-9 Uconn's favor, and Candace failed to mention that Pat ran for the hills in stopping the series..... yes from Pat's side ostensibly because of the recruitment with Maya, but many think also it is because UConn was about to really step it up.... they had Maya, Renee, etc... and Pat would be looking at drubbings in future years.... so it was a good jumping off point.... Pat was mercurial and an effective HC, to be sure, and everyone in the women's game owes her a debt of gratitude, but she is not without suspicion, at least if the Sports Illustrated article of the early 80s is to be believed.... and the several players who played for other college teams but suddenly upon meeting her decided to transfer to Tennessee. If anyone wants the date of the article, I can dig it up for you.

Of course the main thing taken out of this First Take segment is the statement that UConn rules the recruiting world so that they naturally run the show. I couldn't disagree more... when you see the recruits that Tenn is getting... Notre Dame, Texas, Baylor.... it is not tilted to UConn at all. And to say that several years ago her claim that recruiting was slanted toward one team wasn't true.... well I do not know.... it did seem like Tenn always had the pick of the litter there for a while... hey but maybe not.

And one more thing .... about dunking.... there has always been a fascination with the women's game and dunking.... can she dunk? has she dunked? are questions asked many times times before "how is her game?".... I understand that many are fascinated with the notion of dunking..... but personally i could care less.... Stewie is 6'4" .... so I assume she can dunk.... Gabby is 5'11" but a state champion high jumper, so i assume she can dunk..... why is everyone amazed that women can dunk? who knows maybe it is just me....

Reaction Score
So USABB should NOT hire the best coach to coach our national team, so that the not-as-good coach can let not-as-good players have a chance?

Hmmmm.... Makes sense to me. (@#$%&##????)

Reaction Score
Candace Parker displayed a casual understanding of the difference between UConn Women's Basketball and the majority of the rest of D1. Saying that the difference is simply recruiting the best players is a cop-out; if you are going to speak out against something, be respectful and take the time to evaluate the situation and make an educated statement.

There are LOTS of talented players, many teams with several highly talented players, and a few teams who may be more talented than UConn (South Carolina, Baylor, and Tennessee among those), but there appears to be one team with the combination of Talent, Dedication, Work Ethic, and Esprit de Corps that puts them above all of the others, and that is UConn.

Maybe she needs a safe-space to crawl into until Geno and CD retire. But then again, who's to say that their replacements won't keep the ball rolling?

Reaction Score
Candace? Is that you?

Reaction Score
I can't stand CP, but the one thing I sort of do agree with her on is Geno's "monopoly' on recruiting. I wouldn't really call it a monopoly, but he does have huge advantages (those mentioned by Candace and others), and they do pay off.

We spend a lot of time on the BY criticizing various rating services' ratings of recruiting classes. The common theme is excessive value is awarded for quantity (of top 20? 50? 100?), and not enough value is counted for quality (top 5? 10?). I totally agree, and think the value of the very top recruits is much, much more pronounced than the class ratings reflect.

Basketball is a game where having THE best player is a huge advantage (think LeBron, Kobe, Michael, Steph Curry, etc. - or Rebecca, DT, Maya, Stewie, etc.). Geno has for a while been able to sign the #1 HS player at least every 3 years or so, give or take. Therefore he always has one #1 player and sometimes more than one. Right now he has KLS, and for the next two years he will have KLS and MW. Surround these players with a bunch of HS AA's and you have an unbeatable team. Although some of the other elite teams get higher-rated recruiting classes, none really get as many #1 recruits as we do. I think the impact of having the #1 player is underrated.

BTW I'm not saying this is bad. I love it! Pat had all these advantages, and the best players, for years. Our turn. If they don't like it, tell them to get better.

Reaction Score
For the N-QUINTILLINTH TIME....The coach of USA Basketball has no say in the team that they coach, so no, the idea that "....playing for UConn does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball." is NOT a reality.

If you want him to step aside, I can respect your opinion. From my standpoint, the last Olympic team seemed to have the most fun while playing the highest level of basketball that I have seen over the past several olympiads, so I don't see any reason for him to step aside. Unless, of course, he thinks that there is someone better to replace him, in which case I think he would step aside and recommend that coach as his replacement.

Reaction Score
For the N-QUINTILLINTH TIME....The coach of USA Basketball has no say in the team that they coach, so no, the idea that "....playing for UConn does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball." is NOT a reality.

If you want him to step aside, I can respect your opinion. From my standpoint, the last Olympic team seemed to have the most fun while playing the highest level of basketball that I have seen over the past several olympiads, so I don't see any reason for him to step aside. Unless, of course, he thinks that there is someone better to replace him, in which case I think he would step aside and recommend that coach as his replacement.
I think realistically the USA coach probably does have more say than anyone on the roster. Therefore, if Geno is the USA coach, then playing for UConn DOES give an automatic advantage.

But I don't see anything wrong with that. It's "not fair" or something? Whaaaaa... USA basketball is the highest level of international competition . It's about winning, not "fair".

Reaction Score

I thought the USA team coach was by invitation, not by tenure....If USA basketball doesnt want to deal with "these issues" they should invite a different coach.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The only female to win a McDonald's slam dunk contest.

Reaction Score
i liked it. sorry but playing for UCONN does give college players an automatic advantage with USA ball. it's just a reality. Geno should go back to letting other coaches have the honor of coaching the team. it's fair and keeps USA ball from even dealing with these issues. i am sure i will catch some heat but these are just my thoughts.---.

I actually love the idea, and suspect GA would not have any issue with it... would love to see..... Brenda... Tara, Vic S., etc... would perhaps enter the women's game into a new vision field ...

Reaction Score
Ok. You Vol fans can continue to live on past laurels. We will give you that. Seems that's is what keeps vol fans motivated or is it the possiblities of future recruits?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know but those players aren't at UConn. It's a zero sum game: UConn's loss is someone else's gain unless of course the player decides to retire. Boykin went to PSU, Ekmark to ASU, and Edwards to USC - all P5 schools with more resources than UConn.
Hold on, when referring to UConn Women's basketball in relation to P5 schools, UConn actually has more resources allocated than all of them with only slight exception of a few who match the media training, travel budget, team administration budget, and full staff salaries. All of this has been earned with the success the program has had under Geno. Just please don't play that UConn does more with less. The do more with as much.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

That was a complete joke. She BARELY got the ball over the rim. I wouldn't even call it a dunk. It's embarrassing she won that, she was easily the worst dunker in the field.

Reaction Score
They have the #1 class coming next year according to multiple services. This should mean lots of wins and some titles going by Candace logic.
Not! You have to develop these women and what does Tennessee know about making these players better? Very little. So true now but it was also true in Pat Summit's prime. I think there's very few players that became Vol's who wouldn't have been appreciably better, had they come under the tutelage of Geno and his very able coaching staff. Their choice! The Vols have had many highly ranked teams in the past ten years that were nothing but mediocre despite their high ratings entering their program. That holds true for other programs, as well. There is not too many players entering UConn over the years who didn't leave as substantially better players and most certainly, people. That's another thing that you find. How media savvy do they become? On every level, UConn has done a great deal making these fine young ladies into very special women who become quite worldly.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It is indeed an honor to coach my National Team. That honor must be earned! A good start would be coaching a team that has actually beat UCONN which is Geno's main gig. So who did you have in mind?
Coco, don't use logic it will only hurt their brains. Never mind the fact that USA Basketball chooses the coach (like Coach K who has also done a few Olympics). And yes Tenn and Candace when you produce the best team players, they tend to be ask to join the USA Team. So besides the 5 UConn women who had all won a NPOY which should not have made it?

Reaction Score
Ok. You Vol fans can continue to live on past laurels. We will give you that. Seems that's is what keeps vol fans motivated or is it the possiblities of future recruits?
I absolutely agree with your point, but one nagging issue; that wouldn't be a LV laurel, since she was in High School at the time. That would be a Naperville Central High School laurel.

Reaction Score
All of these detailed explanations are fine. But one thing, one thing only matters: Candace Parker's opinion of UConn does not matter.
Exactly right. Just look at the company she was with on that show. They only get watched because they are crass and stir up stuff. Like psuedo media does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom