Candace Parker on First Take | The Boneyard

Candace Parker on First Take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She's asked about UConn's winning streak and apparently thinks UConn has a monopoly on recruiting ---she should check Tennessee's classes the last decade---and that players are guaranteed a championship and an Olympic spot---hmmmm---if they go there. Oh, and there was tons of parity back in the day Tennessee was winning 6 titles in 12 years. Or maybe it was during her time since she said when "we" were playing. Those halcyon days of 2007-2008.

ESPN First Take Today - Uconn's Dominance is Hurting Women's Basketball?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention that she more or less says that going to UConn is an easy, "quick fix" which apparently is the opposite of the old days where every good player went to schools to challenge Tennessee. Don't know how the Vols got by with such scraps.

Reaction Score
6bd5e03e26207de18487ea948044459f.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My God, she's delusional! I can see her every night, brushing her hair in front of that big mirror, mirror, mirror on the wall. So I take great comfort in the pain she feels that causes her to dismiss UConn's accomplishments with the excuse that "the fix is in" in recruiting because Geno has a lock on the next big thing for these kids.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did Candice just insult every player that didn't go to UConn. She pretty much says that everyone else just got the dregs. I guess it was an attempt at a shot a Geno, but it seems pretty disrespectful of other players.

Reaction Score
She's asked about UConn's winning streak and apparently thinks UConn has a monopoly on recruiting ---she should check Tennessee's classes the last decade---and that players are guaranteed a championship and an Olympic spot---hmmmm---if they go there. Oh, and there was tons of parity back in the day Tennessee was winning 6 titles in 12 years. Or maybe it was during her time since she said when "we" were playing. Those halcyon days of 2007-2008.

I think we may have just viewed her veiled pitch as to why she should be the next Tennessee coach

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Hell hath no furry like a woman scorned.

I guess Candice is still a little upset over not being on the Olympic team. BTW - saw a game between the Sparks and the Sun last season. Candice wasn't into the game, joked with the refs and was ineffectual at best. IMO she is all she is hyped up to be.

Reaction Score

See, the media even has Candace believing the myth. Who had the monopoly on recruiting for the vast amount of Pat Summit's time in Tennessee and have they ever come close to the dominance that Geno has? How many number one recruiting classes did Duke and Tennessee and Louisville have over the past eight or ten years? How many Final Fours have they had in the last five years? The presumption that UConn is always getting the best is crazy but it's still out there. Have we gotten some exceptional players? Yes, but so hasn't Pat and her replacement and they've done nothing with it but mediocrity. What we have gotten is talented players who weren't selfish or self absorbed and were willing to share the ball and focus on team first. There have been other teams, as well that have had numerous top ten classes and haven't done very much either. Last years class with KLS and Napheesa was a special one and of course, we had that Morgan, Breanna, Moriah class and that TAASK class but that was over 18 years. We've had individual players that were awesome like Maya and Tina but others were just good solid position players.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not to worry, those who fret about UConn dominance. They will go .500 next year and miss the tournament. By popular demand, UConn will be split into two squads and only play each other, winning and losing each game. Of course, Geno might figure out a way to go undefeated anyway.

Reaction Score
Like Geno said at the start of the season: "There are a lot of teams with returning All-Americans. We're not one of them." Dawn Staley said Geno has it easier because he gets better players when she's sitting there with Wilson a #1 recruit in her class and NPOY candidate.

Reaction Score
It truly sad how bitter many ( not all) Tennessee fans are over UConn's dominance and replacement of Tennessee as the all-time best women's program. In the way Parker comes across- the statements she makes about UConn- she tends to typify that resentment ( albeit: some of it no doubt from a personal standpoint, emanating from her Olympic exclusion).
If matters were reversed, I'd like to think that we'd be terribly disappointed and probably deeply frustrated....but no where near as bitter and small-minded.

Reaction Score
Parker's credibility on the topic means very little to her, obviously.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like Geno said at the start of the season: "There are a lot of teams with returning All-Americans. We're not one of them." Dawn Staley said Geno has it easier because he gets better players when she's sitting there with Wilson a #1 recruit in her class and NPOY candidate.
And Dawn went head to head with Geno over A'ja Wilson and won the recruiting battle. I guess Dawn would think more highly of Wilson if she had gone to UConn.

There is something about these coaches & players bemoaning the fact that UConn gets all the top players that brings to mind Groucho Marx's line, "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member", or more appropriately in this instance, "We really don't want any recruits that would accept a scholarship to our university." :confused:

Reaction Score
And Dawn went head to head with Geno over A'ja Wilson and won the recruiting battle. I guess Dawn would think more highly of Wilson if she had gone to UConn.

There is something about these coaches & players bemoaning the fact that UConn gets all the top players that brings to mind Groucho Marx's line, "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member", or more appropriately in this instance, "We really don't want any recruits that would accept a scholarship to our university." :confused:
Look at the last few recruiting classes for UConn:

2016: Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla, and Bent
2015: Lou and Collier
2014: Kia and Gabby
2013: Saniya and TLaw

I'm guessing other teams have had better recruiting classes in those years. Where are they now?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Look at the last few recruiting classes for UConn:

2015: Lou and Collier
2014: Kia and Gabby
2013: Saniya and TLaw

I'm guessing other teams have had better recruiting classes in those three years. Where are they now?
Agree with your comment but would point out that Saniya was a lone recruit (Lawlor was a walk on), Gabby & Kia's class included Ekmark & Edwards, and Lou & Pheesa class included Boykin.

Reaction Score
As others said, Parker is bitter about the Olympic snub and blames Geno so the chances to get a compliment form her about Geno or UConn is small...by the way, parker had the choice to go to DePaul but she chose to go to TN...so what does that say about her in the context of what she said on First Take?

Reaction Score
Agree with your comment but would point out that Saniya was a lone recruit (Lawlor was a walk on), Gabby & Kia's class included Ekmark & Edwards, and Lou & Pheesa class included Boykin.
I know but those players aren't at UConn. It's a zero sum game: UConn's loss is someone else's gain unless of course the player decides to retire. Boykin went to PSU, Ekmark to ASU, and Edwards to USC - all P5 schools with more resources than UConn.

Reaction Score
It truly sad how bitter many ( not all) Tennessee fans are over UConn's dominance and replacement of Tennessee as the all-time best women's program. In the way Parker comes across- the statements she makes about UConn- she tends to typify that resentment ( albeit: some of it no doubt from a personal standpoint, emanating from her Olympic exclusion).
If matters were reversed, I'd like to think that we'd be terribly disappointed and probably deeply frustrated....but no where near as bitter and small-minded.

Speak for yourself. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99