Cancelled. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn losing a home game without requiring a forfeit for the conference's potential access bowl team better end up meaning we get our Tier 3 rights back next negotiation.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
You do know that college football players live on campuses right. They don't live at home 10 minutes away and commute.

You've made up the options.

The option is stay in Tampa not with family or go to Connecticut not with family.

They don't want to play distrasted and they don't want to go to Illinois after staying in CT.

You're still thinking of this in terms of the game instead of real life. Set aside the sports conspiracy theories and realize many of these players can get home to their families with a single tank of gas or the gas already in their cars. If you were on campus in Tampa would you fly to Connecticut knowing you could somehow get to your family? At the very least, cancelling the game lets these kids evacuate, by whatever means necessary, with their parents and siblings by their side.

Check out the roster and tell me if I "made up the options" for the majority of these kids.

USF Athletics

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If FAU can do that, a team from a "power conference" should be able to do such a thing, right?

FAU wants their money.

Bingo Whaler.

If this was the Illinois game week the message from Tampa would have been "it will be far safer for the team to remain away until after the worst is over". As a conference game involves no loss of revenue or potential liability, it was too easy for USF to call it off.

Reaction Score
It's amazing what people can do if there's incentive and equally amazing what they won't do when there's not.

Yup, their incentive is to cancel rather than risk losing to UCONN (distracted) and Illinois (not enough time to prepare) Gotta protect the undefeated season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BTW in the schedules I have seen IIlinois is @ USF on Friday.

I'm sure USF is considering canceling this game too so as not to distract from the recovery efforts......#sarcasm

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're still thinking of this in terms of the game instead of real life. Set aside the sports conspiracy theories and realize many of these players can get home to their families with a single tank of gas or the gas already in their cars. If you were on campus in Tampa would you fly to Connecticut knowing you could somehow get to your family? At the very least, cancelling the game lets these kids evacuate, by whatever means necessary, with their parents and siblings by their side.

Check out the roster and tell me if I "made up the options" for the majority of these kids.

USF Athletics

You are so far gone on this topic it's not even worth discussing.

These kids are going to be in lockdown on campus getting ready for Illinois.

They aren't going to be carrying their siblings who live 100 miles away through waist deep water.

They aren't evacuating Tampa. If they were evacuating how would one argue against a charter flight?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
There is the real world and then there is the self righteous Boneyard.

It pains me to be on the same side of an argument as @Chief00 and @freescooter but here I am. It's clear as day what went into this decision. It wasn't so that players can be with their families. If I see that one more time I might poke my eyes out with a stick so I can never read this board again.
It pains all of us, believe me.

Reaction Score
We should make those dudes travel up here in December and get stuck in a snowstorm.
On 12/1, the day before the Atlantic's East v West division championship game? Or, later? Yup, that'll happen! :rolleyes:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

These kids are going to in lockdown on campus getting ready for Illinois.

They aren't going to be carrying their siblings who live 100 miles away through waist deep water.

They aren't evacuating Tampa. If they were evacuating how would one argue against a charter flight?

Did you look at the roster!? They have five players that are not from Florida. FIVE. And if you can't wrap your head around the fact that the majority of the in state players are doing everything in their power to get "home" then you're right, it's not worth discussing. Lock down my ass. Many of these kids live within 45 minutes of campus. Again, if that was you, would you fly to Connecticut? I'm open to your theory, but answer me that question.

Reaction Score
We should make those dudes travel up here in December and get stuck in a snowstorm.

No joke this is what should happen. Push back the AAC championship game 1 week. Get it done Dave Benedict! My guess is this is being considered but it's conditional on UCONN USF being a meaningful game. IE UCONN needs to have a certain number of wins.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No joke this is what should happen. Push back the AAC chapionship game 1 week. Get it done Dave Benedict!
What about Army-Navy? What if Navy wins the west division?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not only would it be negligence to send out 80 college aged kids to go directly into hurricane conditions, but their families likely would rather have them safe and accounted for in Tampa with shelter, food and water.

Reaction Score
It's not just about the players. The coaches, staff, and everyone else involved in making away trips happen deserves the same consideration. None of the coaches or support staff are staying in dorms.

Maybe the conference got involved to protect USF from being upset, but the most rational decision is they made the prudent decision to give those able to get out time to get out. Or time to prepare.

As of Tuesday my family in Orlando were struggling to find food, gas, and plywood.

I think they could/should have made it happen tomorrow, but I don't have all the info. It's disappointing

Saying this is on the conference because someone was scared that the 17.5 point favorites would lose?

That's a reach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you look at the roster!? They have five players that are not from Florida. FIVE. And if you can't wrap your head around the fact that the majority of the in state players are doing everything in their power to get "home" then you're right, it's not worth discussing. Lock down my ass. Many of these kids live within 45 minutes of campus. Again, if that was you, would you fly to Connecticut? I'm open to your theory, but answer me that question.

None of them are allowed to go home. Do you not have any idea how college football works? Yeah USF is going to have players scattered all over the state and not prepare for Illinois. Your argument is ridiculous.

I've lived through a bunch of hurricanes. Of course I'd get on a plane to Connecticut if I was just going to be in a dorm hundreds of miles away otherwise. This isn't 50 inches of rain and they aren't first responders.

Reaction Score
If USF doesn't make the conference championship game, then we should play them the same week as the conference championship game.

We have a winner.

This is a very good point. UCF will probably win the league as they don't have Charlie Strong as their coach and play UCONN at home.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Heard a dirty rumor USF is not going to buy out their UMass game the week of our bye. Don't really blame them.

Reaction Score

These kids are going to be in lockdown on campus getting ready for Illinois.

I think this is actually the image that people have in their mind, in which case I can understand their position. Either that or the entire family huddled around each other in some attic with water mounting by the drop and their elderly grandmother with an ice-pack against her wounds.

It's the Katrina effect. The images from Katrina are so embedded in the mind of the average American thinks the national guard is supposed to come in and airlift the victims to safety. Harvey hasn't helped with that perception, but in reality these images are contrary to your standard evacuation protocol. There will be tragedies of people being unable to leave because of poverty or age or a disability, but even in those cases I cannot imagine that the recommendation of people who study this stuff is to bring more people to the heart of the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom