• No

Votes: 165 69.0%
  • No, but I could back in the day.

Votes: 59 24.7%

• Total voters

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I spent a lot of Saturdays playing pickup in the Field House, and there were some really good players in that gym, including several dunkers. Those guys were really freaking good and usually really freaking tall, not some 5'10" hack who played every now and then and then claims "but I could dunk back in the day".

My math above is a little off because I forgot that smaller guys generally have shorter arms. A 5'9 guy needs to jump about 38-39 inches to dunk. That is high D1 level athleticism. A 6'4 guy needs to jump about 28-29 inches. That is decent but not spectacular athleticism that you might find in a Saturday afternoon pickup game at the Field House in 1992.

Maybe one of the Boneyard posters was really that athletic. Possible. It is impossible that two were. It is a ridiculous lie that 3 or more were.

I don't know what to make of your story that 3 guys under 5'10 on one high school team could dunk. That seems really unlikely. How many times did you see Kevin Ollie dunk in a game? He was 6'1, and went on to an NBA career, and he did not have enough confidence in his dunking to do it in a game.
obviously, u are wholly unfamiliar with places like Bridgeport, and many others, where 6' and under players regularly slam up a storm. here's bassick high's kevin crawford, rim rattling at 15 years old. (6' now? yeah, sure. only in a publicist's imagination). having played coast to coast, i can tell you that these guys are everywhere.

Reaction Score
obviously, u are wholly unfamiliar with places like Bridgeport, and many others, where 6' and under players regularly slam up a storm. here's bassick high's kevin crawford, rim rattling at 15 years old. (6' now? yeah, sure. only in a publicist's imagination). having played coast to coast, i can tell you that these guys are everywhere.

Agree 100%, these guys are everywhere. Ever seen Weaver High play in the early 2000's? Plenty of guys under 6' and layup lines were pretty much a dunk competition.

Again, dunking in general and dunking in a game are very different...this thread is about dunking in general...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think your math is off. Someone who is 5'10" and has average to long arm length can easily reach well over 7'6", maybe closer to 7'8". Plus the 4" over the rim makes sense because although you need a cushion, if you try enough times, you will eventually time it well enough to dunk. So you would need to leap about 28" to have a chance which is tough to do but possible.
Your own math is off. If he can reach 7'8 flat footed, that means he would need 28" to get to 10'. He would need 32" to get to 10'4". 32" is a pretty high vertical, 7'8" means he has a pretty big wingspan, and I still think you are very wrong that 4" is enough cushion to dunk.

I could only dunk a men's basketball on rims where I could get my wrist to the rim level. I have big hands and can still palm some basketballs, and I needed that much cushion. That means at least 6-7 inches above the rim, Maybe others were more coordinated and could slip the ball over with 4" cushion in a combo dunk/layup move that is close enough to a dunk to get credit for it. I don't see how it is possible.

A basketball has a diameter of about 9.5". So to actually do a clean dunk, you would need to be 10" above the rim to be shooting down with the ball. But most near dunkers will be able to slip the ball over the rim and turn their wrist down on the ball to approximate a dunk that is more like a layup. I did that a few times with a women's ball. I couldn't get high enough or get the timing right with a man's ball.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agree 100%, these guys are everywhere. Ever seen Weaver High play in the early 2000's? Plenty of guys under 6' and layup lines were pretty much a dunk competition.

Again, dunking in general and dunking in a game are very different...this thread is about dunking in general...

Those guys were probably taller than you remember. Most of the city teams have 6'6"+ front courts and 6'1-6'3 back courts.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Demo Square did you ever play with/against Jim Carroll? Basketball Diaries is one of my all time favorite books. Too bad he's a People Who Died.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Wilby H.S. in Waterbury is one that comes to mind years ago. Every single player dunked in layup lines before the refs came out. A couple of guys were over 6ft, but plenty were under.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oldest hs all star tourney in 'murica, and prolly on planet earth. bridgeport, connecticut.

Coach Calhoun always get's a good seat. (at 23 seconds in).

Reaction Score
Those guys were probably taller than you remember. Most of the city teams have 6'6"+ front courts and 6'1-6'3 back courts.
They were not taller than I remember, I was the playing the game against them, for years. 6'1-6'3 backcourts are not common in CT high school. The majority of kids that height in HS are forwards and even kids playing center sometimes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They were not taller than I remember, I was the playing the game against them, for years. 6'1-6'3 backcourts are not common in CT high school. The majority of kids that height in HS are forwards and even kids playing center sometimes.
Former UConn TE Tommy Myers lead the NATION in rebounding at Coventry High because he was 6’6” and other teams in the Patriot Conference would have maybe one dude who was over 6’2”

This is classic nelson. EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG BUT ME. THAT MAKES SENSE.

Reaction Score
Your own math is off. If he can reach 7'8 flat footed, that means he would need 28" to get to 10'. He would need 32" to get to 10'4". 32" is a pretty high vertical, 7'8" means he has a pretty big wingspan, and I still think you are very wrong that 4" is enough cushion to dunk.

I could only dunk a men's basketball on rims where I could get my wrist to the rim level. I have big hands and can still palm some basketballs, and I needed that much cushion. That means at least 6-7 inches above the rim, Maybe others were more coordinated and could slip the ball over with 4" cushion in a combo dunk/layup move that is close enough to a dunk to get credit for it. I don't see how it is possible.

A basketball has a diameter of about 9.5". So to actually do a clean dunk, you would need to be 10" above the rim to be shooting down with the ball. But most near dunkers will be able to slip the ball over the rim and turn their wrist down on the ball to approximate a dunk that is more like a layup. I did that a few times with a women's ball. I couldn't get high enough or get the timing right with a man's ball.
Yup, my math was off. doh! There are plenty of videos where guys are dunking while just barely getting over the rim and not palming the ball. just using the inertia of the ball to keep it in their fingertips. I can't do it but like I said, with enough attempts it can happen. I guess the definition of a dunk matters too.

Ask HOOPSBEAST: How Tall Do You Have To Be To Dunk? - HOOPSBEAST

"On average, a person’s standing reach is around 1.33 times greater than their height." That puts' a 5'10" person's reach at 7'9".

Difficult: 5′ 7″ – 5′ 9″​

Challenging: 5′ 10″ – 6′​

Normal: 6′ 1″ – 6′ 3″​

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Former UConn TE Tommy Myers lead the NATION in rebounding at Coventry High because he was 6’6” and other teams in the Patriot Conference would have maybe one dude who was over 6’2”

This is classic nelson. EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG BUT ME. THAT MAKES SENSE.

I was saying that sub 6' posters who claimed they dunked back in the day are almost certainly full of .

I don't know how your argument that a 6'6 guy would outrebound a bunch of 6'2 guys is evidence that my claim is wrong.

Reaction Score
I’ve know guys short guys that were bench players or didn’t even make the high school varsity team not just in cities but in towns like manchester, East Hartford, even small schools like Cheney tech and others..with kids that easily dunk. There’s athletes everywhere.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yup, my math was off. doh! There are plenty of videos where guys are dunking while just barely getting over the rim and not palming the ball. just using the inertia of the ball to keep it in their fingertips. I can't do it but like I said, with enough attempts it can happen. I guess the definition of a dunk matters too.

"On average, a person’s standing reach is around 1.33 times greater than their height." That puts' a 5'10" person's reach at 7'9".

That link is hilarious. How come anyone shoots the ball in basketball? They should all be dunking all the time.

Reaction Score
That link is hilarious. How come anyone shoots the ball in basketball? They should all be dunking all the time.
The same reason Carlton, Whaley, Polley and Sanogo don't dunk on every possession. Defense.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

this! and talking physics now, the essential issue for hops barely sufficient yet handsize challenged playas, is the instinct or learned ability to be able to keep, even just one fanger, above the balls center of gravity when ur at the rim. just push it down. math is our friend.

Reaction Score
Baseball player...had a good arm....dunked a few clowns over the water tank....I could hit the target...dunking a basketball? No...nada,..wasn't happening..

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm 61, have put on 20 unnecessary pounds, have lost an inch of height with time, and have one sore knee, so no. I was 54 when I finally hung it up in the rec league. It was a good run.

But back in the day, when I had some lift and could palm the ball ... :cool:

NanceDunk.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and now, a physics haiku for shorties who wanna slam.

'on the way up, u
must keep the force below the
C.O.G. learn this!

if you don't, they'll call
you butterfingers, and weak.
don't be a weak snack.

on the way down, u
must keep the force above the
C.O.G. learn this!

if you don't, they'll call
you lame. weaksauce. a poser.
don't be a poser.

Reaction Score
I’ve know guys short guys that were bench players or didn’t even make the high school varsity team not just in cities but in towns like manchester, East Hartford, even small schools like Cheney tech and others..with kids that easily dunk. There’s athletes everywhere.
I think there's a difference between there being shorter folks who are able to dunk and 30+% of this board being able to dunk at some point in their life.

Reaction Score
5’9-5’10 and I could only ever get a couple inches of net. I played sports in High School but could never jump. I’m not sure I could reach the net now with my 6 inch vert

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom