• Yes

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 165 69.0%
  • No, but I could back in the day.

Votes: 59 24.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Well when I was in high school there was a 5’10” kid that could dunk standing at the hoop. Just bend down, rise up and dunk it. It was around that time they outlawed dunking. It was a technical foul. Even in warmups if the refs saw it the game would start with a T. Some kids would do it anyway.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I do not agree with the analysis that one needs to be over 6' to dunk, as I have seen plenty under 6' people dunk in warm ups or messing around. At 5'10" with slightly longer arms than others my height I was able to grab the rim at my peak athletic ability, and I would consider myself an average athlete as I only ever played club baseball at a D2 school, so there are definitely better athletes out there than me and I was close.

I do agree that the almost 32% of responses that say they can or could dunk at one point seems a bit high and may be utilizing the term "dunk" very liberally.

Reaction Score
I could dunk with a volley ball when I was in my early 20's. I'm 49 now. I would probably tear my achilles on the way up and my ACL on my way down if I even tried it now. So in closing...nope.

Reaction Score
I think there's a difference between there being shorter folks who are able to dunk and 30+% of this board being able to dunk at some point in their life.
Lol maybe that’s true. But there do seem to be a lot of ex ball players on this board and we are all guilty of cranking the Goalrila a couple times when nobody is looking.

Reaction Score
How about when playing did you ever get dunked on? I mean in your face slam where even you were impressed.

Reaction Score
Lol maybe that’s true. But there do seem to be a lot of ex ball players on this board and we are all guilty of cranking the Goalrila a couple times when nobody is looking.
Lowering that Goalrilla hoop was so much fun. Also, that is how players learn how to dunk without getting too far over the rim. There is an art to turning your wrist at the right time or throwing the ball down with your fingertips, or getting right the arm/hand angle when attempting with one hand. Practicing on lower hoops eventually gets that coordination/timing down to be able to dunk once you can get above the rim.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about when playing did you ever get dunked on? I mean in your face slam where even you were impressed.
nhl GIF by SB Nation

Reaction Score
Lowering that Goalrilla hoop was so much fun. Also, that is how players learn how to dunk without getting too far over the rim. There is an art to turning your wrist at the right time or throwing the ball down with your fingertips, or getting right the arm/hand angle when attempting with one hand. Practicing on lower hoops eventually gets that coordination/timing down to be able to dunk once you can get above the rim.
V true. 9’2” was my favorite Goalrilla height in my prime

Reaction Score
I was very good at getting the hell out of the way and definitely not trying to take a charge

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
While bench pressing
It loooks to me like 6% of boneyarders can dunk.

Poor deepster, hes turning into dove

Reaction Score
No, it's an "I don't care" how two points are scored, or three, or one. Just make the shots.
You care enough to insert your opinion multiple times in this thread. Keep telling yourself you do not care, but it is clear you do.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
You care enough to insert your opinion multiple times in this thread. Keep telling yourself you do not care, but it is clear you do.
I don't disagree with his sentiment considering so many of our guys can't make a layup in traffic but IMO the dunk in basketball and the homerun in baseball are two of the more exciting plays in sports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do not agree with the analysis that one needs to be over 6' to dunk, as I have seen plenty under 6' people dunk in warm ups or messing around. At 5'10" with slightly longer arms than others my height I was able to grab the rim at my peak athletic ability, and I would consider myself an average athlete as I only ever played club baseball at a D2 school, so there are definitely better athletes out there than me and I was close.

I do agree that the almost 32% of responses that say they can or could dunk at one point seems a bit high and may be utilizing the term "dunk" very liberally.

I am willing to be talked into the idea that 0.1% of men 5'10" or shorter can dunk at some point in their life. This board thinks that number is 30%. There are about 10 posters that have been arguing with me for 3 pages that a 5'10 person dunking is no big deal.

Reaction Score
I am willing to be talked into the idea that 0.1% of men 5'10" or shorter can dunk at some point in their life. This board thinks that number is 30%. There are about 10 posters that have been arguing with me for 3 pages that a 5'10 person dunking is no big deal.
You are really bad at interpreting statistics. You are on a message board frequented by sports fans, the majority of whom most likely were athletes at some point. 51 people on this board said they could dunk and that number isn't broken out by height. So of course your 30% figure is your wild imagination getting the best of you again.

Reaction Score
6'1", 215# and 56 years old. So, nope. At the height of my athleticism 30+ years and 40 lbs ago I could maybe dunk a tennis ball. No hops. Sweet jumper, but no jams. I captained the runner-up team in our top level intramural team in college. Our 5'8" PG could jam. Freak athlete. His feet would be at my chest level when he went up.

Now, I coach my daughter and can barely knock balls stuck in the net loose. So sad.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I thought the OP said Can You Drunk and I composed a 2000 word ode to drunkenness. Then I looked up at the previous message and realized I misread the title. Now I have to confront the realization that I could never dunk and my reading comprehension is deteriorating. I think I'll get a drink.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with his sentiment considering so many of our guys can't make a layup in traffic but IMO the dunk in basketball and the homerun in baseball are two of the more exciting plays in sports.
But it’s only 1 run!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom