• Yes

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 165 69.0%
  • No, but I could back in the day.

Votes: 59 24.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Being 6'4" and having a wingspan of 7ft, yes I could dunk when I was younger, but it is very true that White Men Can't Jump.

When I used to play at Washington Park in Waterbury, I was so good because those rims were like 9'8" maybe and I could jam on anyone. Those were the good old days.
Dude I grew up on Washington Hill in the late 70s early 80s. Do you remember Mr. Kane at the park house? Or Nelson at Ralph’s market? How about jumping the fence at the pool at night and going for a swim? ... Sorry, that comment just threw me back four decades.
Being 6'4" and having a wingspan of 7ft, yes I could dunk when I was younger, but it is very true that White Men Can't Jump.

When I used to play at Washington Park in Waterbury, I was so good because those rims were like 9'8" maybe and I could jam on anyone. Those were the good old days.

Reaction Score
basketball fall GIF
That's funny as zit! HA!

Reaction Score
Dude I grew up on Washington Hill in the late 70s early 80s. Do you remember Mr. Kane at the park house? Or Nelson at Ralph’s market? How about jumping the fence at the pool at night and going for a swim? ... Sorry, that comment just threw me back four decades.

I grew up in the blue house right next to the main entrance during the 90s. If you remember, during Christmas, we would put up a lot of Christmas lights on our property.

3 doors down from the pool. Definitely got worse, since when you grew up there.

Reaction Score
Guys,

NYC former hoops freak here - 75 years old now, 6'4" (Was 6'5-1/2" - HA!)
  • 1st dunk - 12 y.o - 7th grade - 5'10"
  • Last dunk - 54 years old, on a metal knee in a league game
  • Played Div. I & Euro pro

I've had both knees & hips replaced, arthritic spine & operations, etc. - all badges of honor for playing 48 years straight. Now, I talk about the Glory Days - HA! Gaining yet more weight sitting around during COVID.

Was one of the lucky white kids w/ hops in the 60's. Used to go into gyms around the city & could hear murmurs of "white boy" in the background. They'd go crazy when I threw down.

First points in high school were typical: At Boys & Girls High School (Brooklyn) They didn't box me out, long missed shot from the corner, two-hand slam "at he top of the square" over the other high-flyers off weak-side rebound.

Because the NCAA thought it would hurt one extraordinary contemporary player named Lewis Alcindor from Power Memorial, dunking was outlawed for ten years after my junior year. We all really missed out for H.S. & college dunks.

I once tip-dunked over Jimmie Walker (Jalen Rose's famous NBA dad) in a summer pro/am tournament at the West 4th Street court near Father Demo Square. And was dunked on incessantly by one Julie Erving, a younger friend from the Island playing 'one-o-cap' many times at Hempstead's Kennedy Park. Sometimes joined by a skinny frequent-flyer from Mineola, a great kid named Bill Corley - ring a bell?

Dunking was once a very special deal when hoops was almost a city cult game for tall kids. Now, everybody can fly, & it's almost a cliche. In Zion's case, it defies physics & gravity.

Father Demo
@Chief00, take notes, this is how you name drop on a message board. A+

Reaction Score
Creating this poll off CliffSpliffy's comment below.

Right now, can you dunk a regulation men's basketball on a regulation hoop? I would guess the Yes result is 5% or less. We'll see.
Make the poll answers public dummy.

Reaction Score
5’10” (34 years old) and used to be a very good one legged jumper (ages 16 to 23) could dunk both one and two handed but mostly off self alley-oops passes. Would jump my highest in layup lines when the pretty girls walked into the gym...

Never could dunk off two feet

Noway will I ever try to dunk again

Reaction Score
Dunk: The most overrated, overemphasized, overhyped and overly telecast play in basketball. Worth two points.

Lay-up: Worth two points.
it's worth more than 2 pts in terms of getting the crowd and team going

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm 5'10 (was listed as 6'0). I have a few legitimate dunks out of thousand of attempts but never in a game. But rim-grab layups were my thing as well as slapping the backboard as hard as possible on layups, block attempts, after shots, in warmups, etc.
I took so much pride in slapping the backboard during layup lines in rec hoops.

Reaction Score
Judging by my experiences playing pickup in high school/college/after, I feel like a decent chunk of the 27% of people saying they could dunk at one point may be getting a bit loose with the definition of "dunk".

Reaction Score
This is like my CYO career. I started at center and worked my way down to point guard when everyone ended up taller than me.
When I was in elementary school, I was both the youngest and tallest kid in my class. Doctors told me I would be 6'5" to 6'7". Never broke 6 feet.

Reaction Score
Guys,

NYC former hoops freak here - 75 years old now, 6'4" (Was 6'5-1/2" - HA!)
  • 1st dunk - 12 y.o - 7th grade - 5'10"
  • Last dunk - 54 years old, on a metal knee in a league game
  • Played Div. I & Euro pro

I've had both knees & hips replaced, arthritic spine & operations, etc. - all badges of honor for playing 48 years straight. Now, I talk about the Glory Days - HA! Gaining yet more weight sitting around during COVID.

Was one of the lucky white kids w/ hops in the 60's. Used to go into gyms around the city & could hear murmurs of "white boy" in the background. They'd go crazy when I threw down.

First points in high school were typical: At Boys & Girls High School (Brooklyn) They didn't box me out, long missed shot from the corner, two-hand slam "at he top of the square" over the other high-flyers off weak-side rebound.

Because the NCAA thought it would hurt one extraordinary contemporary player named Lewis Alcindor from Power Memorial, dunking was outlawed for ten years after my junior year. We all really missed out for H.S. & college dunks.

I once tip-dunked over Jimmie Walker (Jalen Rose's famous NBA dad) in a summer pro/am tournament at the West 4th Street court near Father Demo Square. And was dunked on incessantly by one Julie Erving, a younger friend from the Island playing 'one-o-cap' many times at Hempstead's Kennedy Park. Sometimes joined by a skinny frequent-flyer from Mineola, a great kid named Bill Corley - ring a bell?

Dunking was once a very special deal when hoops was almost a city cult game for tall kids. Now, everybody can fly, & it's almost a cliche. In Zion's case, it defies physics & gravity.

Father Demo
Best post of the thread.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm 5'10 (was listed as 6'0). I have a few legitimate dunks out of thousand of attempts but never in a game. But rim-grab layups were my thing as well as slapping the backboard as hard as possible on layups, block attempts, after shots, in warmups, etc.

Yeah, I was a world class back board slapper.

Was also real good untangling nets that looped around the rim.

Think I max'd out dunking a volleyball.

Never close with a men's or women's bball even though I could easily palm a men"a ball.

5' 11.88888" inches in my prime.

Reaction Score
Best post of the thread.
B.S. I bet he's bogey golfer as well.

@Demo Square kidding. It was a very nice post. This is embarrassing, but I didn't know Jalen Rose's dad was an nba player. Not sure how I missed that over all these years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
probably just Boys High in your day. played a game there in '72-'73, different neighborhood today.
Yeah Husky8273

Thanks. Yeah, it WAS Boy's High back then - Girls added later, '80's?.

Sadly, since WWII, the neighborhood around Boys HS has gotten progressively more challenging each year for survival. Was not as bad when I played there some 60 years ago.

Back then, Boys' best player on a great team was Vaughn Harper & they were NYC Public School champs often in the 60's.. I was respectful, but not fearful to go into that area of Bed-Stuy to watch or play pickup games.

Today, I would be an easy target there. Sadly, Boys HS has dropped precipitously to become about the worst-ranked school perennially in NY State. And Boys' better players now are usually siphoned off to the better parochial "Saints & Bishops:" Molloy, Loughlin, Ford, Christ the King, St. Francis, McClancy, etc. Sad. Absolute longtime poverty kills bodies & spirits - absolutely!!

Father Demo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
B.S. I bet he's bogie golfer as well.

@Demo Square kidding. It was a very nice post. This is embarrassing, but I didn't know Jalen Rose's dad was an nba player. Not sure how I missed that over all these years.
I Love the State of North Dakota, Husky!

RE: "Bogie Golfer?" I was a poor city kid with no access to greenery or expensive links & had no father to introduce me to the game of golf.

I never saw golf as a fit for me - with so many other great sports to play - & because of the "bourgeois" connotations associated with the game to many. Ha!

My introduction to that great game was as a caddie, working for my college spending money in the summers. I've never played golf. I'd be a walking bogey 10 - HA!

Just some old hoops memories from a long, long time ago. Sorry if it looks like "dropping names" or B.S. I loved to dunk - but never to embarrass any other player with a chest thump or an in yo' face glare. Just slam it & get back on D.

Enjoy the game!

Father Demo

Last edited:
Reaction Score

RE: "Bogie Golfer?" I was a poor city kid with no access to greenery or expensive links & had no father to introduce me to the game of golf.

I never saw golf as a fit for me - with so many other great sports to play - & because of the "bourgoise" connotations associated with the game to many. Ha!

My introduction to that great game was as a caddie, working for my college spending money in the summers. I've never played golf. I'd be a walking bogey 10 - HA!

Just some old hoops memories from a long, long time ago. Sorry if it looks like "dropping names" or B.S. I loved to dunk - but never to embarrass any other player with a chest thump or an in yo' face glare. Just slam it & get back on D.

Enjoy the game!

Father Demo
My guess is you're the best player on this board with the best basketball stories, please keep them coming.

Reaction Score

I never saw golf as a fit for me - with so many other great sports to play - & because of the "bourgoise" connotations associated with the game to many. Ha!

Enjoy the game!

Father Demo
Follow my lead and just claim you are a bogey golfer. Nobody is checking.

North Dakota is great. Winter blows, but summer is fabulous. Big Midwest skies, thunder and lightning. My commute is also only 7 minutes and I live right in the middle of the largest city. My advice for all is to get away from the coast. In particular the northeast.

Pizza sucks though.....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom