Can we beat Baylor | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Can we beat Baylor

Reaction Score
I think we will need contributions from everyone, as I can see Dee Dee Richards limiting Paige. As good as Paige is, Richards is a senior DPOY, and she will limit Paige's output.
We’ll see about that. I am expecting a huge game from Paige against Baylor. She will be well rested for that game and will show us all just how spectacular she really is. I think she was tired out over the last couple of games and this break is coming at a good time for her especially, but also for the rest of the team. The more I watch Paige play, the more she impresses me! I think she is one of those players who has the innate ability to play better in big games and who has a real connection with the game and who seems (based on what I have seen) to always make the big play at the critical time! What a treat it is to be able to look forward to the next 5 years of watching her and the rest of these amazing recruits playing the game under the tutelage of the best coaching staff in history!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can we beat Baylor? I think the question is what can Baylor do to slow down UConn. We are both different teams this season and UConn has the guards that can make an impact and Baylor doesnt. We have better guards and more of them and because of that we wont loose. Liv will be fine if she stays out of foul trouble. Liv's presence underneath will keep Baylor from getting to close to the basket and Liv and UConn rebound well. Egbo is not at Liv's level. Egbo is foul prone and without her in the middle Gusters will have to guard Liv. Thats a mismatch imo. I am very confident about this game. We have somthing to show and we are going to show it on national tv.

Can Baylor handle UConns press? Who is going to guard Paige CW and Evina? We are a very quick team and our passing is just off the charts. If we get it going early it could be a long night for Baylor. Baylor lost to Arkansas, struggled against South Florida, struggled the first half against West Va and their last 2 games played cupcakes. Good guard play is lacking as is ball handlers.

I dont think there is a team in WCBB that can handle UConn. Geno is complaining about not being able to make an outside shot and not playing defense and that may be true, up to his standards but against Baylor right now if we stay out of foul trouble Baylor looses by double digets.
Yes. Can they beat us? Praying for no injuries and continued development - which looks scary.

Reaction Score
Baylor fan here. Of COURSE UConn can beat Baylor. UConn is always going to be UConn.

The Arkansas game exposed some weaknesses and defensive lapses, although Mulkey's teams typically improve their defense as the season progresses. If Smith, Egbo or Richards get in foul trouble, it will be very tough for Baylor.

I don't stress about this game much because it's good for both teams no matter who wins. (Not that I don't have a preference.) I hope this can remain an annual early-season matchup. It is fun to see Geno bring a team to Waco, and it is nice to see the respect for Geno in the ovation from the crowd when he is introduced. This matchup is good for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Baylor fan here. Of COURSE UConn can beat Baylor. UConn is always going to be UConn.

The Arkansas game exposed some weaknesses and defensive lapses, although Mulkey's teams typically improve their defense as the season progresses. If Smith, Egbo or Richards get in foul trouble, it will be very tough for Baylor.

I don't stress about this game much because it's good for both teams no matter who wins. (Not that I don't have a preference.) I hope this can remain an annual early-season matchup. It is fun to see Geno bring a team to Waco, and it is nice to see the respect for Geno in the ovation from the crowd when he is introduced. This matchup is good for women's basketball.

Agree that it is a matchup is good for WCBB. Kim needs to agree to play every year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

But bear in mind that Geno's announced intention is to make UConn bad for women's basketball (again).

Reaction Score
I truly believe that this will be our first true test of the year. Lot's of if's. If Paige and Aaliyah don't fall under the "frestman freeze". If Ono can hold her own and not get into early foul trouble. If the other players can reach out and play to their potential, at that point I can see a victory.

Reaction Score
This game is somewhat important to both teams, as both Baylor and UConn do not have the strongest conference schedule and could use this nonconference win to bolster their tournament seeding.

Reaction Score
Lots of IFs for Baylor. Egbo is not real great. No point guard to lead and distribute. Hey Paige will not flinch in this game. She will excell. So will CW and EW. UCon nby double digets.

AND, let's NOT forget, it is not like our Huskies are going into another team's arena with thousands and thousands of fans who want nothing more than for UCONN to get whupped. The atmosphere will be the same as playing at any of the games at Gampel or at any of the other empty arenas they have played in this year. This helps negate any "home court advantage" and makes the talent of the players and coaches the only real factors.

GO HUSKIES!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
AND, let's NOT forget, it is not like our Huskies are going into another team's arena with thousands and thousands of fans who want nothing more than for UCONN to get whupped. The atmosphere will be the same as playing at any of the games at Gampel or at any of the other empty arenas they have played in this year. This helps negate any "home court advantage" and makes the talent of the players and coaches the only real factors.

GO HUSKIES!!
Not that many thousands. For the safety of fans, attendance is limited to 25%

Reaction Score
Of course we can beat Baylor! Keep moving, set screens and play team ball! LCConnfan , that’s BS about Anna. She delivered a terrific stat line just in-case you didn’t notice. She just needs a teeny little nudging to drive to the basket. Not a big deal. She
hustles a lot and run the floor hard. My recommendation to you is to re-watch the game.
So glad you spoke out about Anna .... where is all this Anna nonsense coming from???????

Reaction Score
Lots of IFs for Baylor. Egbo is not real great. No point guard to lead and distribute. Hey Paige will not flinch in this game. She will excell. So will CW and EW. UCon nby double digets.
I think you'd made a fair assessment of BU. We don't yet have the PG play we enjoyed the past two years. On the other hand, Mulkey has excelled at bringing in new PG transfers, and the Lady Bears have 3 guards who are averaging between 4-6 assists each so far. Mulkey's teams are always solid at passing the ball. This year, better than 2/3 of their baskets have come from assists, and that's pretty typical for BU.

Egbo at this point strikes me a little like Lauren Cox in her progression. Let me be clear: Queen Egbo is not going to be the player that Cox was. But during her first two years, Cox only showed glimpses of the kind of player people had thought she could become -- and that she in fact did become. So far, I see a world of potential upside for Egbo, but she hasn't realized her potential yet. Will it happen this year, her 3rd season at BU? That's one of the "IFs." The season will tell, but I would note that, so far, she is averaging 13.4 ppt in 19.7 minutes, which ain't bad. Notably, however, her two worst games came against the two quality teams BU has played so far -- Arkansas and West Virginia -- when she got 5 and 6 respectively and was limited by foul trouble.

Another IF involves BU's 3-point shooting. That's never been that much a part of the game for Mulkey's teams, but the ability to hit 3's was still important in keeping defenses honest. BU lost three of its legitimate threats from behind the arc from last year's team (one of whom was Cox). This year, so far they've had only one threat (Ursin) that anyone has to worry about. It will make a difference in how good opponents will be able to defend Baylor's bigs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor loses this game, but I also know that, whatever the result, playing UConn at this point in the season will make them better in March.

Hope it's a fun game to watch.

Reaction Score
I think you'd made a fair assessment of BU. We don't yet have the PG play we enjoyed the past two years. On the other hand, Mulkey has excelled at bringing in new PG transfers, and the Lady Bears have 3 guards who are averaging between 4-6 assists each so far. Mulkey's teams are always solid at passing the ball. This year, better than 2/3 of their baskets have come from assists, and that's pretty typical for BU.

Egbo at this point strikes me a little like Lauren Cox in her progression. Let me be clear: Queen Egbo is not going to be the player that Cox was. But during her first two years, Cox only showed glimpses of the kind of player people had thought she could become -- and that she in fact did become. So far, I see a world of potential upside for Egbo, but she hasn't realized her potential yet. Will it happen this year, her 3rd season at BU? That's one of the "IFs." The season will tell, but I would note that, so far, she is averaging 13.4 ppt in 19.7 minutes, which ain't bad. Notably, however, her two worst games came against the two quality teams BU has played so far -- Arkansas and West Virginia -- when she got 5 and 6 respectively and was limited by foul trouble.

Another IF involves BU's 3-point shooting. That's never been that much a part of the game for Mulkey's teams, but the ability to hit 3's was still important in keeping defenses honest. BU lost three of its legitimate threats from behind the arc from last year's team (one of whom was Cox). This year, so far they've had only one threat (Ursin) that anyone has to worry about. It will make a difference in how good opponents will be able to defend Baylor's bigs.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor loses this game, but I also know that, whatever the result, playing UConn at this point in the season will make them better in March.

Hope it's a fun game to watch.

Given Baylor's early schedule, it's too early to put much stock in player statistics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom