Can we beat Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can we beat Baylor

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We might be a young team, but a team with the weapons to beat anyone. So, yes we can beat Baylor.

I really like how this team is evolving. The pieces are working nicely together. A solid sub rotation has been established. They are being aggressive on the court and taking to their opponent.

Reaction Score
I think we have a deeper bench than last year, but it needs more fine-tuning. Last night with a couple of ankle/foot injuries we looked a lot like last year, short bench, and ONO in foul trouble. AE and NM need to be healthy and contribute. MM will improve over time. The starting five are gelling nicely, and different players are stepping up each game.

Reaction Score
I really like what RedStickHusky said about that we have swag! I think each and every player has a little swag in them. Every game it gets better! For me personally, I love all these kids. They each bring a different swag to the team and the game. It will only get better! I’m missing seeing them in person, but psyched to see them play on TV! Hasn’t it been so much fun to see the gals play 5 games in two weeks? I’m having a little withdrawal that we have to wait a week til the DePaul game. This should be a really good game! Baylor soon.....excited about how we play against them. Team ball all the way! Show them the Swag!

Reaction Score
Yes. I think this year is pretty wide open. I saw Stanford the other night and while they are a good team and probably #1, they are not at the same level as some of the top Baylor, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Oregon, Louisville, Mississippi State teams that have beaten us in recent years.

Reaction Score
Game that embodies the old saying “styles make fights”. Two successful programs with two very different offensive and defensive styles. Which team can impose their will to dictate the nature of the flow of the game?

Current guess.......team with most bench points will win.

Reaction Score
Based on last night's performance UConn can beat not only Baylor but also Stanford and Louisville.

sorry Kaizen, not sure I'm buying what you're selling..........:)......really hard to compare Villanova's talent to Baylor's never mind Stanford or Louisville..............I'm not sure more than one Villanova player would even make Baylor's top 15 never mind their starting five..........then add the size of Egbo, Gusters and the super athletic Smith and the defensive prowess of Richards............can UConn beat Baylor? Sure they can but it's going to take a far better more focused effort at both ends of the court........

Reaction Score
My answer is: We don't have any idea whether we can beat Baylor.
We haven't played anybody yet. Newsflash: in any world, a 30 point win is a trouncing. UConn world- NO, 30 points is not a nail-biter! That's all we know so far. In some ways our schedule so far has been fine; get the freshmen's feet wet, Evina back into action, team chemistry. But under no metric have we played anybody yet. IMO it's a huge shame that those two early games were cancelled. We can see now the adeptness of Geno's scheduling. Of course, it is what it is and the UConn program obviously has made the absolute most of the situation.
Frankly. I'm surprised there's not more competition in WCBB. I asked in a previous post if people thought the comp in WCBB has improved since 1995, Geno's first NC. I don't see it. I feel for the players. If you're an athlete at this level, you want competition. You want to see how you stack up against the best.
I'll make one prediction: the players with experience in tough games will do the best against a team like Baylor. Paige and Aaliyah have international experience. Paige is a top player. She'll rise to the occasion. She'll relish the opportunity. Christyn, Anna, Evina, and Liv also have big-game experience.
There will naturally be the initial shock of playing against stronger athletes, then the adjustment, then hopefully whupping their butts. We have better players!

But yet UConn is 5-0...by the way, has Baylor played anybody?

Reaction Score
But yet UConn is 5-0...by the way, has Baylor played anybody?
That’s pretty much my point. I guess there are a half dozen good teams in WCBB, so the elite teams play the also-rans which is pretty much everybody else, and all the big boys are undefeated or some unexpected loss and finally maybe they get to play each other. And nobody truly has a clue how good they are. Anyway I’m looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
Maddie Seagrist, Villanovs sophmore that I saw against the Huskies last night? Personally, I think could start for almost any team, and yes, including Baylor. The season is young, but isn't she leading the conference in scoring? I used to be a good scout of women's basketball talent, and if I put my old scouting hat on I would have her on my all star team right now...yes, she made it. To state that a player of her caliber, with so much potential couldn't even make the bench of Baylor's is totally ridiculous. Did you watch last night's game? Did you hear coach Geno praise her play? Coach Kim Mulkey would be at her house with the papers to sign, and did I recall Geno indicate that he had no shot at getting her?

Reaction Score
sorry Kaizen, not sure I'm buying what you're selling..........:)......really hard to compare Villanova's talent to Baylor's never mind Stanford or Louisville..............I'm not sure more than one Villanova player would even make Baylor's top 15 never mind their starting five..........then add the size of Egbo, Gusters and the super athletic Smith and the defensive prowess of Richards............can UConn beat Baylor? Sure they can but it's going to take a far better more focused effort at both ends of the court........
Siegrist would make their rotation because she’d be their best shooter but you’re pretty close on the rest.

Reaction Score
Siegrist would make their rotation because she’d be their best shooter but you’re pretty close on the rest.

yes she wouldn't start but she would get some time..........everybody on the bench has gotten minutes this season for Baylor............I think the fewest minutes per game is around 12......I doubt anybody else from Villanova makes their team as they have pretty deep bench......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So her 9 defensive rebounds, 3 assists, 3 pts, 1 steal, and 35 minutes on the floor was just nothing. Yes she didn't have a good shooting night, but she did other things to help the team. Oh and she didn't have a foul either.
:eek: Sometimes you have to be trying to play defense to commit a foul.:D

Reaction Score
Maddie Seagrist, Villanovs sophmore that I saw against the Huskies last night? Personally, I think could start for almost any team, and yes, including Baylor. The season is young, but isn't she leading the conference in scoring? I used to be a good scout of women's basketball talent, and if I put my old scouting hat on I would have her on my all star team right now...yes, she made it. To state that a player of her caliber, with so much potential couldn't even make the bench of Baylor's is totally ridiculous. Did you watch last night's game? Did you hear coach Geno praise her play? Coach Kim Mulkey would be at her house with the papers to sign, and did I recall Geno indicate that he had no shot at getting her?

reread my post...........I said only one player on Villanova would make the Baylor team...............she's the one

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno had no shot a getting her but she ended up at Villanova? Maddie Seagrist is a nice player but let’s not get carried away or dragged back to your glory days of scouting.

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago I felt that Baylor was a night mare match up for UConn. As were several other teams. Last year Baylor still fit criteria and so did the other top teams Uconn got beaten by. This is a diffent season entirely. Baylors strength is not so strong anymore. Arkansas and their other games exposed their weaknesses. UConn should be favorite in their game this season. If they lost it will be an upset. Baylor really misses Cox in the center on defense. Smiths skill set is limited and needs strong post players on the court with her to do what she does best. With Brown and Cox gone that is not the case.

Reaction Score

Basically why the zone was effective, but IMO the outcome of games against the top tier teams will depend on the improvement of UConn’s team man defense. One of the most important tenants in man is to never let anyone cut over your face & that happened numerous times to our defenders away from the ball along with being burned on back cuts several times. Communication was also just a suggestion on several defensive possessions, resulting in easy baskets. All the worry about different players offensive output and scoring won’t be the deciding factor in crucial games simply because this group has more weapons and options than the past few, and I think will be able to score enough to win. To me the biggest question mark is can they get crucial stops against top shelf players and teams, and most times that won’t be accomplished in the zone. JMO

Reaction Score
Basically why the zone was effective, but IMO the outcome of games against the top tier teams will depend on the improvement of UConn’s team man defense. One of the most important tenants in man is to never let anyone cut over your face & that happened numerous times to our defenders away from the ball along with being burned on back cuts several times. Communication was also just a suggestion on several defensive possessions, resulting in easy baskets. All the worry about different players offensive output and scoring won’t be the deciding factor in crucial games simply because this group has more weapons and options than the past few, and I think will be able to score enough to win. To me the biggest question mark is can they get crucial stops against top shelf players and teams, and most times that won’t be accomplished in the zone. JMO
Exactly. Had to go to the zone because the UConn defenders couldn’t deny the ball on the cuts as you say. And the zone worked because they, probably accidentally, found out Siegrist couldn’t put the ball on the floor and beat them so they just had to be near her to negate her. I agree, they’ll have to play much better man defense against a top tier team like SC which IMO is the way to beat them by getting up in their face and jamming up their sets.

Reaction Score
I've been checking the threads but I swear I saw a Tuesday replay of Arkansas beating Baylor on Sunday. Was ESPNU doing a replay from another season?

No, that replay was Baylor's one loss from this year. Chelsea Dungee went off.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah has to play a big part for UConn. Her physicality will be much needed. On that note, Arkansas beat Baylor with a much smaller lineup. We need to limit the turnovers, and we need to take threes within the flow of the offense; no coming down and just letting it fly. Olivia needs to stay out of foul trouble, as does Paige.

Reaction Score
Everyone remember, Baylor played Arkansas in Arkansas. Both teams shot miserably, but Baylor had a better field goal percentage, and rebounding numbers. The x-factor was the number of Baylor fouls called, and even some of them were questionable. We play Baylor in Texas, so we won’t get the benefit of the calls

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom