Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can we all agree that Drummond was overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The IQ of this board fell off a table somewhere along the way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm late to the table and am too tired to read through the whole thead.

Are we in agreement or not?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
you mean how melo carried cuse to the national title? that kind of taking over? lol! im not disagreeing with you KD was incredible but he hasnt been the only dominant frosh.

Kenny Anderson. Ridiculous from day one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm late to the table and am too tired to read through the whole thead.

Are we in agreement or not?

According to Fishy, you are the only one currently at the table.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
His defense is as advertised, but his work ethic is as advertised as well :/

Hope to see him function more naturally in the post instead of forcing up some wild shots. It looks like he's almost trying to push the ball into the net.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Hope to see him function more naturally in the post instead of forcing up some wild shots. It looks like he's almost trying to push the ball into the net.

It looks like he releases every shot like most people release a floater

Reaction Score
For those of you who think I'm a troll, I'm not. I am as big a UConn fan as anyone here. For those of you saying I know nothing about JC and UConn basketball, you're wrong. I've likely been following UConn far longer than you. For those of you who said no one said he'd avg a dbl dbl or be better than Zeller or Sullinger or the kid from KY, do a search on your own threads. There were a ton of comments saying just that.

I asked if the kid was overhyped. Unless you're blind, the answer is a resounding YES. Someone on the player of the year list, a consensus top 5 recruit, a 6'10 270 lb freak athlete that struggles vs the likes of Columbia and Coppin ST is Raw beyond definition.

Do I think he'll get better... of course. Am I glad we have him... heck yea. He could be the best player in college..., someday....some day.

But my question was... can we agree he was overhyped? As a consensus nbr 1 or 2 recruit, I think that's been answered. He's no Sullinger, or Zeller now...far from it. If your answer is, judge him in Feb., you're proving my point. I'll be glad to give odds he's not a national player of the year....heck he'll probably struggle for freshman of the year on his own team.

Does that mean we don't want him... heck no. But des it mean he was overhyped,... not his fault, but ummmmm... yes. The kid has an awful LOT to learn.

I think the only thing we can all agree on is this is a really ignorant post. The "hype" you speak of is your own. He has so many things to learn as we can allsee but anyone who believes any freshman, no matter where his ranking is coming out of HS, is going to average a double-double is not thinking straight. Sullinger is a different cat, a matured player who was ready to hit the court and make an impact. Andre is a better athlete than him but already shows he was able to dominate against smaller foes while playing out of position too often, in other words away from the basket. His foul trouble has added to his early, very early, season woes mostly because he is now learning to play help defense against bigger, stronger athletes than last year and prior. He reaches too much because he was allowed to in the past but he'll learn as he'll get sick of the bench. He's a stud waiting to happen but how quick noone knows. FT shooting and footwork needs to improve and he will have good games and some stinkers - he's a freshman.

Answer = NO he's not overhyped, he's a kid learning the game under JC. I feel pretty damn good about what the results will be!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The reality is that Calhoun is more interested in reconstructing AD into a great player than in just turning him loose "as is". It's why few freshmen look great at UConn compared to say Kentucky. Drummond isn't close to a finished product, but he is having an impact, despite the mask.

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly correct. Any big man who dominated the high school competition by size alone will usually have a substantial period of adjustment to elevate his offensive game to rely more on his skills. In the D1 game size alone is not enough. Sullinger in high school exhibited passing, and a pretty niceoutside game to go with his size. My understanding from the pre-UConn reports was that AD had similar skills.

Maybe he does. In game #4 of his college career I'm not prepared to issue a conclusion. I do believe new team mates, a new coach and system, and that unusual mask all contribute to retard any player's entry onto the D1 stage. I'm prepared to give AD substantial time to adjust and to become the contributor we all seek.

Patience!!

Reaction Score
His defense is as advertised, but his work ethic is as advertised as well :/

I'd bet that within 2 or 3 games of the mask coming off he scores 20 or 30 depending on how well the other team defends him.

caw

Reaction Score
Sullinger: 19 and 14; 26 and 10; 11 and 8; 8 and 8 averaging about 27 minutes
A Davis: 11 and 9; 3 and 6; 14 and 6; 23 and 10 averaging about 25 minutes
Oden: 14 and 10; 16 and 4; 14 and 11; 18 and 9 averaging about 26 minutes

Drummond has had a rougher start than the 3 above, but is also not the focal point of the team. Someone also mentioned Zeller.

Tyler Zeller: 18 and 2; 2 and 1; 2 an 3; 2 and 2 in 14 minutes about
John Henson: 4 and 1; 4 and 3; 4 and 6; 2 and 2 in about 10 minutes

Reaction Score
Haven't we seen enough of this to know that no freshman, particularly a big man, is going to come in and dominate in his first 4 games on a Calhoun-coached team? I can think of only 1 or two exceptions to that rule.

Reaction Score
UCONN fans overhype a recruit? That never happens...At least there wasn't a video of Drummond dunking over a chair!

In fact, he is about where figured he would be as a freshman. Totally different level of competition from any he has played before. And big men rarely dominate as freshmen. I figured he would be used mostly off the bench this year. Probably average 15-20 minutes a game. Next year he'll be ready to take a leading role. Now lots of people don't think he'll be here next year, but I do. He'll be a much better player in the long run if he stays.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
no no no

I can't say a kid is over hyped after 4 games, any kid anywhere, but especially a Jim Calhoun kid

do you know anything about JC's history? I'm thinking no no no

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You also have to look at who's around him... did the 2006-2007 Ohio State team have two frontcourt players like Olander and Oriakhi? Nope. The second best rebounder on Ohio State was a 6'5" guard who averaged 4.3 rebounds per game. Michael Beasley's Kansas State team? A 6'6" shooting guard who averaged 6.5 rebounds per game. We are absolutely stacked at SF/PF... there's just not that many rebounds to go around... we also have a ton of scoring. If AD came into a weak team, or a team without as much frontcourt depth I think his numbers would look a little different.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is being fair or just showing how spoiled/entitled we are as fans... we complain about 4 different guys when we beat a team by 17.... and oh yeah, just won our 15th game in a row... and oh yeah, have a stud back up PG 2 games from making his debut...

I was just joking and making fun of the people who are picking apart these guys who just won a NC and freshman who have played a handful of games.

Reaction Score
AD is a BIG with College Big issues. He dominated on the HS circuit for the most part and now he needs to learn and adjust on the second biggest stage of his life. The bumps and bruises he got if HS do not compare what he faces at a Uconn practice and will face in the Big East. He will be there. Bodies are bigger and the comp is better, but this kid is a learner and JC is a teacher. Jared Sullinger was better at the beginning, but AD will be there at the end.

Reaction Score
AD does have a big impact on the game for the time he's on the court. His main problem right now seems to be staying on the court.

It's common for a front court player to have foul trouble when he makes the leap from high school to college and from college to the pros. DeMarcus Cousins comes to mind as one guy who seemed to pick up two fouls between every TV timeout for his first 15 college games or so.

AD will learn very quickly how to play without fouling and after that, the pieces of his game will all come together.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
AD will learn very quickly how to play without fouling and after that, the pieces of his game will all come together.

These guys will have to learn all over again come January 9th (WVU).

The schedule is loaded "soft" up front with the BE opening games USF, SJU, Rutgers, and Seton Hall. FSU and Harvard are the only two teams expected to be in the NCAA. Both are lower bracket seeds. That's 1 decent team in 15 games (FSU).

After that it gets much tougher with at least 10 of 15 games against NCAA level teams.

Okafor slumped going into the BE season his first two years. The good ones adjust and improve their game and are back on track come February. I expect we'll see something similar. Nappier, Lamb and Daniels -- they will have to learn how to respect their opponents. They will be flying high until WVU. Not that I think they will be cocky as all hell if they are 15-0 going into the WVU game :)

Reaction Score
These guys will have to learn all over again come January 9th (WVU).

The schedule is loaded "soft" up front with the BE opening games USF, SJU, Rutgers, and Seton Hall. FSU and Harvard are the only two teams expected to be in the NCAA. Both are lower bracket seeds. That's 1 decent team in 15 games (FSU).

After that it gets much tougher with at least 10 of 15 games against NCAA level teams.

Okafor slumped going into the BE season his first two years. The good ones adjust and improve their game and are back on track come February. I expect we'll see something similar. Nappier, Lamb and Daniels -- they will have to learn how to respect their opponents. They will be flying high until WVU. Not that I think they will be cocky as all hell if they are 15-0 going into the WVU game :)
The Big East tried to do UCONN a favor scheduling 3 cupcakes for Calhoun's suspension....not sure they did in the long run.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Big East tried to do UCONN a favor scheduling 3 cupcakes for Calhoun's suspension....not sure they did in the long run.

Isn't the schedule picked by a computer algorithm?

On the topic at hand, I don't mind the schedule being ramped up. Nothing wrong with a slow progression. Even many of the bad Big East teams (like Rutgers) will be far more challenging than our early schedule.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm gonna have to disagree on this one.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Good bump! Wonder where this idiot is. Hopefully choking on his words.

Reaction Score
Everybody, right now - we need to commit to keeping this thread alive until April. The mass of Mojo that can be extracted herein is unlimited.

Bump.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Everybody, right now - we need to commit to keeping this thread alive until April. The mass of Mojo that can be extracted herein is unlimited.

Bump.

You think this is an alias of MakersMuppet, designed to set up a tidal wave of mojo that will carry us right to New Orleans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom