Can Paige carry this team.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Paige carry this team....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ok, Geno and the team have gone thru and played their 1st game against UMASS Lowell (which as we "Boneyarders" should know was essentially the teams "Exhibition" game. Geno shuffled players in and out of yesterday's game, just like he has done in Exhibition Games in years past. It was an opportunity to see what he did not know he had (the New Players on the team) vs. the veteran returning players. So, with this, going into Tuesday's Seton Hall game, I strongly suggest that the rotation will be more defined and focused, with minutes being 'refined' and tightened. This how I see it:

The Starting Five will be:

Paige Bueckers - PG - She proved to everyone yesterday, that she is the "REAL DEAL"
Evina Westbrook - G - Evina's leadership skills is why she will continue to start
Anna Makurat - SF - Although not having the greatest game yesterday, she is Geno's legit 3 point threat and he needs her.
Christyn Williams - G - CW didn't have a stellar game yesterday, but she "Has the Goods"
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - C - Great 1st Half - "So-So" 2nd Half. No matter, it will be with ONO that will take this team to the Promise Land this year (yes Paige is great, but ONO will be the key as to whether we win a National Title or not)

First player off the bench will be Aubrey Griffin, given her ability to spark the team, her ferocious defense and pure athletic ability (9 Points in only 12 minutes yesterday). Geno knows what his has with Aubrey and thus there was no need or benefit to him or the team to give her allot of minutes yesterday in a game that was essentially an 'Exhibition Game'. AG has the ability to give the team a "Double/Double" in many games off the bench, this season.

Next off the bench will be Aaliyah Edwards. She will spell ONO at the post and will give some very productive minutes, despite being a Freshman. Big bodies are hard to come by.

The next 2, with somewhat "Shorter Minutes" than yesterday, will be both Nika Muhl and Mir McLean. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, they are both Freshman, on a team with great depth.

Thus, Geno will go with a 9 person rotation, but with the core being essentially 7 individuals getting the BULK OF TIME, going forward.

There is a lot of truth in your post. Our next game against Seton Hall will tell us more about our girls than this game did. ONO and Christyn need to step up Tuesday and show that they are ready for league and prime time play. As other posters have commented, neither of them were overly impressive against a team/players they should have dominated. I want to see a substantial junior leap from these two. ONO must improve her shooting percentage to at least 85% from point blank range. Either make the basket, or go to the free throw line.

One other item that concerns me. We’ve heard from players and coaches this summer and into the fall about how “tough” Aaliyah Edwards is. I haven’t read a single post/comment that referenced how tough ONO is or has been during that same time period. I’d like to see Liv add more “grit” to her game.

I have more thoughts on what we saw yesterday, but will wait until I’ve seen 4 more games to have a larger sample size to draw more conclusions from. One game against an inferior opponent does not tell the whole story. This time next week, we will have played 3 conference games against Seton Hall (2-1) who lost today to Albany (1-1) 71-66 box score, Creighton (1-3) and Xavier (2-0). Things/questions that we’re scratching our heads about now, will be answered by then.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No Paige cannot carry this team by herself. The rest of the team specifically CW and ONO will need to step up and contribute more. I could easily envision a scenario where teams start doubling Paige to make her give the ball up. The rest of the team is not playing well enough to beat the better teams ranked 1-6. The rest of the team cost paige at least 3 assist and 2 TO yesterday because they are not doing ther part.
Woe there my fine colleague who usually requires significant and ample evidence when such others postulate "theories" as facts. It was our first game in almost 9 months. the first game for 6 freshman and the first game with 4 of our players having to incorporate 7 "newbies" into the UConn system. To infer that UConn could not beat Stanford, Louisville, SC, NC State, Arizona or Baylor is pure folly after 1 game. To me, only Stanford has looked totally dominating but then again, we haven't seen them play anyone of consequence yet. Give this team a few games first before stating such prognostications.

Usually, you have a voice of reason and logic, not sure what was in your coffee today, but everyone is allowed a "turnover"...;)

Reaction Score
I don’t think one player can carry a team all the way. What a steady, consistent, and reliable player does is create the environment where others are inspired to step up and play their best. This is a team sport and I am looking forward to seeing a great uconn season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've had my coffee and been through the game for the third time. I have no issues with the freshman. Paige was exactly what I predicted while Mir and Aaliyah exceeded my expectations. I realize it is only one game after a significant layoff but this does not temper my disappointment in the game yesterday. My disappointments in order are 1) We committed 5 hand checking fouls on the perimeter yesterday-all of which were so far away from the basket as to have absolutely ZERO positive impact. 2) UCONN had the ability to enter the ball into the post at will yesterday but our post touches were so unproductive that was UMASS-Lowells best defense. 3) The excuse making for CW and ONO is already annoying.
Top 3 excuses:
A) ONO had a good half= same excuse was used for her against TN last year.
B) ONO probably got tired in the second half.
C) CW played a good "all around" game.
I stand by my prediction that we are not going to beat a top 6 team unless we can find a way to get more productivity out of our paint touches. Until CW and ONO return to at least their freshman level of performance and impact this season is going to be a rewind of last.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've had my coffee and been through the game for the third time. I have no issues with the freshman. Paige was exactly what I predicted while Mir and Aaliyah exceeded my expectations. I realize it is only one game after a significant layoff but this does not temper my disappointment in the game yesterday. My disappointments in order are 1) We committed 5 hand checking fouls on the perimeter yesterday-all of which were so far away from the basket as to have absolutely ZERO positive impact. 2) UCONN had the ability to enter the ball into the post at will yesterday but our post touches were so unproductive that was UMASS-Lowells best defense. 3) The excuse making for CW and ONO is already annoying.
Top 3 excuses:
A) ONO had a good half= same excused was used for her against TN last year.
B) ONO probably got tired in the second half.
C) CW played a good "all around" game.
I stand by my prediction that we are not going to beat a top 6 team unless we can find a way to get more productivity out of our paint touches. Until CW and ONO return to at least their freshman level of performance and impact this season is going to be a rewind of last.
Agreed. It just amazes me that I'm one of the few that criticizes Liv's incredibly small shot variety. People today and yesterday on the BY criticized how flat her fadeaway was, her lack of strength on put backs, her 4 shot put back failure etc. Guys, she only has 3 shots: The fadeaway, right side layup, and put backs. When the better teams overplay her hard to her right that takes away the layup and makes her fadeaway really tough. What is she then left with? As a 5 you just cannot be effective if you never (never!) use a left leg drop step.

At 4:38 of the first quarter Liv dribbles entirely across the lane to her right to make a left handed layup. Yeah, it was a strong move, but she made her life so difficult because she didn't stop, shoulder fake continuing to her right, and put it in with her right hand over her left shoulder. Liv will never be a Shaq. Without more variety around the basket UConn is going to have a lot of ineffective post entries this season. There may come a time this season when both Liv and Aaliyah are on the court and Geno puts Liv at the high post just to get score from the post and take advantage of two of Liv's strengths, height and good passing.

CW's lack of consistent shooting is a puzzlement to me. She's better than that, and I just feel her 3pt averages will go up. They'll have to when teams start to pack the paint and force UConn to shoot from the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It just amazes me that I'm one of the few that criticizes Liv's incredibly small shot variety. People today and yesterday on the BY criticized how flat her fadeaway was, her lack of strength on put backs, her 4 shot put back failure etc. Guys, she only has 3 shots: The fadeaway, right side layup, and put backs. When the better teams overplay her hard to her right that takes away the layup and makes her fadeaway really tough. What is she then left with? As a 5 you just cannot be effective if you never (never!) use a left leg drop step.

At 4:38 of the first quarter Liv dribbles entirely across the lane to her right to make a left handed layup. Yeah, it was a strong move, but she made her life so difficult because she didn't stop, shoulder fake continuing to her right, and put it in with her right hand over her left shoulder. Liv will never be a Shaq. Without more variety around the basket UConn is going to have a lot of ineffective post entries this season. There may come a time this season when both Liv and Aaliyah are on the court and Geno puts Liv at the high post just to get score from the post and take advantage of two of Liv's strengths, height and good passing.

CW's lack of consistent shooting is a puzzlement to me. She's better than that, and I just feel her 3pt averages will go up. They'll have to when teams start to pack the paint and force UConn to shoot from the perimeter.
I’ve commented before about ONO’s lack of post moves and shots. I still can’t understand how the coaching staff hasn’t been able to develop these basic skills. And I also don’t understand why ONO, with national team opportunity in front of her, hasn’t on her own sought out off season instruction to pick these up. Six weeks or so with a good post skills coach at 6-5 and she’d have to be doubled constantly inside. It’s up to her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some points about yesterday and the topic at hand:

-At the post-game interview, Geno had very complementary things to say about Paige...he spoke about her numerous skills running across the entire range of the game. He did not say anything about her "carrying" the team because there is no need...there is a huge amount of youthful talent + "mom"on this team and he knows very well that his job is to hone this group; fit those pieces together...Is there anyone better at that?

-The upperclassman (sort of sad to say) reverted to form and had less than stellar games...In a funny sort of way...that doesn't trouble me much...(see above). This will be a season in which upperclassman loyalty
will take a back seat to on-court performance. No single individual's stats will be make or break...There are so many potentially good players. It's been a long, long time since that's been the case. So sit back and enjoy a master and crew develop outstanding talent.

- I have no idea why Aubrey was kept on the bench for so long...ask Geno- She seemed to perform her usual spark-plug duties on both ends of the court with aplomb, but I didn't notice any new wrinkles either...Another (semi)-upperclassman to watch...

I expect we'll have a better idea of the general appearance and rotations after the next week or so...

Be ready for some surprises.

Reaction Score
1607889829710.png

Reaction Score
I watched Harris carry South Carolina last year. She was the glue that made them go and kept them together. I saw Diana carry UConn on her back to NC's. She was the glue that kept them together and made them go. Paige has the same qualities. In Tues and Thurs nights games we will get an idea of where we are and who can do what in much tuffer games against division opponets. We got off to a slow start this season as did many other teams however with the pandemic we started even later then many other teams. Now its time to catch up in a very short time. We have the players who can get the job done. They need to just get a few games under their belts. Yesterday we looked a little rusty as a team. Rust comes from not playing. Hey it was our first game with alot of underclassman

from my years of watching her in high school, summer league and international play it seems the better the competition the better PB plays............while she may have a few freshman hiccups, I expect her to shine brightly when the teams really needs her to perform......

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My idea of carrying a team may be different.

I've now watched Page play one game. Can I see her as the leader of the team? I think that has already happened.

Can she be the person the team resolves around? I think, yes. Can she be the glue? I think, yes.

I have been watching the past games against ranked teams the years they won the NC.

And what I've seen in these games is a leader, but they were never alone. Just like the Bulls, Celtics, & Laker teams I use to watch. A leader, with their main side kick, as well as someone cleaning up under the basket. And on the occasion where a team stopped them the 4th & 5th player would make the stop or knock down the shot.

I think it's very possible that this can happen with the group of kids at UConn this year. (I'll care about next year's class this summer.)

I now realize, I thought I was looking forward to seeing this year's team. Wow, I'm so looking forward to watching this team come together, grow into being very bad for women basketball! :cool: :cool:

Reaction Score
ABSOLUTELY NOT !! - The keys to this season, in possibly capturing a National Championship are (in no particular order):

- ONO must be DOMINANT, both offensively and defensively down low
- Paige must have an "All American Season"
- Anna MUST have a extremely high 3 Point Shots vs. Made percentage (within the top 3 in the country)
- Aubrey MUST win the 6th Man of the Year Award
- Majority of the Freshman don't play like your "Typical Freshman"

If all of this happens, then we will win a National Championship

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
See that's where we disagree. I don't think Walker did the best she could. I think she is hugely talented but she never fully got into passing or one on one defense to be truly great.
Wow. Well unless you are psychic, or spoke directly with Megan, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Being selected 1st team AA is quite an honor that many really good UCONN players never achieved. See, that's where we disagree.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
ABSOLUTELY NOT !! - The keys to this season, in possibly capturing a National Championship are (in no particular order):

- ONO must be DOMINANT, both offensively and defensively down low
- Paige must have an "All American Season"
- Anna MUST have a extremely high 3 Point Shots vs. Made percentage (within the top 3 in the country)
- Aubrey MUST win the 6th Man of the Year Award
- Majority of the Freshman don't play like your "Typical Freshman"

If all of this happens, then we will win a National Championship
Even if all of that happens there are a few other things that must occur.

1) Someone other than Anna needs to shoot a high percentage from the arc. Hopefully 2 others.

2) Someone other than Liv needs to be a force in the paint.

3) Their quarter court offense must be played with pace. It'll need to be precise and efficient.

4) CW must have a higher percentage of FG's made. Much like her freshman year.

5) Their defense in the quarter court and in transition will need to be aggressive, hard nosed and efficient.

Then UConn win a championship.

Reaction Score
Is she really better than that, or are you confusing your perspective of her ceiling with her actual one? People, especially fans often do that. By every measure she appears to be a streak shooter. She has games where she shoots very well and then more often than not games where she doesn't. Her expectations are built on the games that she shot well. The McDonalds AA game and the ND game her first season. Streak shooters tend to be inconsistent.

I have always stated that a player is never as good as their best game nor as bad as their worst. Players are not machines where they can always give you a consistent effort every game. There will always be variences, especially in respect to shooting percentages. Every player can have an off game as well as games where they shoot better than their avarage would dictate. Some players seem to have a broader spectrum between their on and off games. Those would be called streak shooters.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This was a practice game to just get out and get the girls playing somebody. They accomplished that. This should help clear the jitters for the first conference game on Tuesday. Alot of disappointed posters and fans on this board and I can understand that. We need time playing together in games to change that. A lot of players in and out of the game. I expect Evina to start scoring more. I also expect, Anna and Olivia to score more. Dont be surprised to see CW come off the bench. She seems to be dwelling on not hitting her shots. Maybe if she comes off the bench that will change then put her back in the starting lineup. We need her.

Yeah we couldve run up the score and done somethings differently. I understand because we didnt some feel we regressed and thats fine. Our expectations were high and the team didnt satisfy some of our hopes. Still its only a practice game and Tuesday we will see where the improvement is as we will on Thurs and Saturday. Remember this we are starting 2 high school number 1's and one HS number 2. The pieces are there we need patience for it to come together..and it will.

Reaction Score
Clark and Van Lith while great do not have the ability she has. It’s hard to explain it. It’s just so natural to her. God given ability. The passes, she’s knows what she’s gonna do before it happens, the steals in the passing lane, the pump fake to get the defender in the air into a free throw line jumper. Just super, super talented. She has the ability to score just like Van Lith and Clark but she has so more to her game. I don’t like comparing players to Dee, but my God, she looks just like her out there with the ability to make her teammates better.

In other words, Yes, she can lead this team. And I want to go out on a limb and say she will be an All-American this year.

Reaction Score
Paige has the best short range jumper on UCONN and can get that shot at time she wants........Her BB IQ is off the charts.....She makes the rest of te team much better Stay awake or you will get a BB off the side of your head or nose..

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Love the enthusiasm for Evina, but I'm a bit mystified why so many seem to be taking pot shots at Megan, or at the least, downplaying her talent and skills. Are people still butt-hurt that she left for the WNBA early? I've also seen her called the "black hole on offense".

Megan improved every year. By the end of her junior year, she was a world class 3-point shooter and a 1st team AA. I have said numerous times that I felt she did not work well with Christyn on the floor together - they seemed to get in each others' way metaphorically speaking.

But let's be clear - Megan was a very talented player who did the very best she could while at UCONN, and has earned her place on the Huskies Wall of Honor. By all accounts, she is great friends with Evina and one of the big reasons Evina considered, and chose, UCONN.

EricLA, I think almost all of us recognize that Megan is a very talented player. I suspect that many of us are likely willing to let slide the notion, perhaps undeserved, that she was at best an average team leader.

Where it breaks down for me at least is the perception that she did not come up big enough when the lights were the brightest.

Although she had 473 field goals in her three year career, very few of those came in crunch time of big games. A fairly quick check of the play by play narratives for the fourth quarter of the key games over the last three seasons confirms this. To her credit, she did have two big hoops in the fourth quarter of the bitter Final Four loss to Notre Dame in Tampa in 2019. But unfortunately not much else.

Reaction Score
Yes, she can carry this team. In the process, she may hit a few of them in the back of the head with a pass or two. But they will learn.
How right you are! I played with a kid nicknamed "Flash Cadillac." You better be looking for the pass with your hands up. More than one bloody nose happened before some learned.

"Flash Cadillac?" I'm assuming that you didn't play with Flash anytime in the past 40 years. :rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Flash Cadillac?" I'm assuming that you didn't play with Flash anytime in the past 40 years. :rolleyes:
Sure make fun of an old man. BTW Cris Collinsworth at Florida was nickname Cadillac because his catches were so long and comfortable. During your school years was your nickname Yugo?!;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
EricLA, I think almost all of us recognize that Megan is a very talented player. I suspect that many of us are likely willing to let slide the notion, perhaps undeserved, that she was at best an average team leader.

Where it breaks down for me at least is the perception that she did not come up big enough when the lights were the brightest.

Although she had 473 field goals in her three year career, very few of those came in crunch time of big games. A fairly quick check of the play by play narratives for the fourth quarter of the key games over the last three seasons confirms this. To her credit, she did have two big hoops in the fourth quarter of the bitter Final Four loss to Notre Dame in Tampa in 2019. But unfortunately not much else.

Megan this, Megan that....Megan's gone
One of the many UConn players with a pretty distinguished career
that didn't quite knock our socks off, nor win championships
(no one does it by themselves).
But she did improve quite a bit every year.
Her first season in the W was not so distinguished but she's 22 for goodness sake and may wind up just fine...but I'm not fixated.

But this group that Geno has now...now that's worth out attention.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark of Iowa and Hailey Van Lith of Louisville have garnered lots of oohs and aahs in their first 2 weeks of college play, and it's exceedingly rare to see freshmen, especially early in the season, as poised and star-ready as those two.

Just the other day I mused, "If Paige is in fact the top of that class, then we UConn fans are in for a major treat." It seems that we indeed are so privileged. This team is Paige's world and we're just living in it.

The success of this team, in my eyes, isn't really about what Paige can do. It's plainly obvious she has greatness all about her. It's gonna hinge on how well her teammates step up alongside her.

Bueckers reminds me of Magic, a tall guard who rarely led the Lakers in scoring, who could get 30 any game he wanted but concentrated in making his team mates better.

Reaction Score
Sure make fun of an old man. BTW Cris Collinsworth at Florida was nickname Cadillac because his catches were so long and comfortable. During your school years was your nickname Yugo?!;)

All in fun. And I’m older than you think. Maybe not “Flash Cadillac” old...;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom