Can Paige carry this team.... | The Boneyard

Can Paige carry this team....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I watched Harris carry South Carolina last year. She was the glue that made them go and kept them together. I saw Diana carry UConn on her back to NC's. She was the glue that kept them together and made them go. Paige has the same qualities. In Tues and Thurs nights games we will get an idea of where we are and who can do what in much tuffer games against division opponets. We got off to a slow start this season as did many other teams however with the pandemic we started even later then many other teams. Now its time to catch up in a very short time. We have the players who can get the job done. They need to just get a few games under their belts. Yesterday we looked a little rusty as a team. Rust comes from not playing. Hey it was our first game with alot of underclassman.

I read some posts that UMass was a weak team compared to UConn and they were however to see our freshman in their debut do what they did against a college team well I think we were all impressed. We showed our talent and what we can do. Now comes the tweaking which will breed confidence. I expect Evina to score more...she only played 21 minutes and Oliva played only 19 minutes. That will change as the season moves ahead and we get in better shape. Mir Griff and Edwards all played 11-12 minutes with Mir scoring in double figures and Griff and Edwards scoring 8 and 9. Although many posters thought UConn would score over 100 pts we showed we can score and the balance of scoring over 8 players looked very good. Turnovers were not bad and with that said 2 freshman turned it over 9 times. Not great but as a team we were fine.

What Im looking for over the next 3 games is UConn to improve their outside shooting. We moved the ball quickly yesterday and our passing and cutting looked good for most of the game. Our defense needs work but for the most part was reliable for now. We did what we were suppose to do again UMass and I over all liked the way we played. We are no where close to where we're gonna be in a few weeks and in a few months. Griff Mir Edwards and Nika are going to cause havoic. We still need to replace the scoring and leadership that Walker and Dangerfield had. That will happen. I expect as Evina gets back up to speed she will be a great leader and scorer. Paige already is. CW's shot will come back as soon as she gains more confidence and stops thinking about it. She just needs to let it happen which is easier to say then do.

We are in a good place right now with 5 games before Christmas and Im sure we will have at least one game before Baylor and Im guessing it will be a conference game as soon as the Big East announces the schedule. We are going to be a very tuff out when when February arrives. By Feburary we should be settled in and rollin. I can only imagine how good we are going to be, and good, may be an understatement, because I feel this team will become a monster because of the competitive edge every player has and because of the intensity and aggression players like Nika Mir Griff and Edwards showed yesterday. Hold on to your seatbelts because the roller coaster is about to take off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The simple answer is Yes.

I would also note that, other than a couple times during the first half, we didn’t see much of Paige’s outstanding ability to create her own shot and score whenever she needs to, either from the arc (0-0), pull up in the lane (1-1) or driving through traffic to the basket (1-1).

Yesterday, Paige was all about getting her teammates involved. But In tough games against top competition, Geno knows he can ask Paige to take over the game as a score first, pass second player, in the mold of DT.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I watched Harris carry South Carolina last year. She was the glue that made them go and kept them together. I saw Diana carry UConn on her back to NC's. She was the glue that kept them together and made them go. Paige has the same qualities. In Tues and Thurs nights games we will get an idea of where we are and who can do what in much tuffer games against division opponets.
I hope you are right. Paige seems like the real deal. Every video I watched of Paige in high school, USA basketball, and AAU tournaments show her exceling. I see no reason for her to not do so at the college level. But as you say we will learn more about this team against real competition. Paige and hopefully Aaliyah and Anna can take the lead. After two years my confidence in Liv and Christyn is not high. I hope next season DeBerry will be the talented center so needed. Against UMass Liv should have looked like a wunderkind, not just OK. What was Geno seeing in practice? I charted Christyn's stats from last year, all peaks and valleys, not a lot of consistency.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im watched the game again. I dont think any of us realize how good this team will be in a few more weeks, and months and only get better over the next 2 years with the recruiting classes we have coming in. Its mind blowing how good we're gonna be.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Yes, she can carry this team. In the process, she may hit a few of them in the back of the head with a pass or two. But they will learn.

Paige lived up to expectations and then some. Lithe is a word I would use to describe her out there. Fluid like Stewie even though their games are much different. Maya was athletic but in a more muscular, powerful sense. Those three just look different out there. And by different, I mean better.

Interesting that Williams (38), Bueckers (36), and Makurat (32) logged huge minutes in a blowout game. No one else over 21.

ONO only played 19 minutes. Geno downplayed her lack of playing time in the second half but I am guessing he was frustrated by her inability to finish at point blank range. 5 for 14, 2 for 6 from the line. That needs to improve.

We need CW to hit the open three pointer. With Paige at the point, she will have many chances. She seems to be long with her shots for the most part and perhaps a bit flat. I don`t expect her to shoot a super high percentage from out there, would settle for 38-40%.

The Freshman as a whole were great especially for their first time out. Lots to be excited about. Aubrey as well.

Aside from being rusty, they appear to be a bit too pass happy. The black hole that was Megan Walker is not there to stop the music. But if that is the biggest problem, we will be all right.

The Seton Hall game on the road will be a more meaningful test. They have won big twice already but who knows about the level of competition they have faced. First league game, on the road, hope that Paige gets them rolling early.

Like almost all UConn teams, this is a very easy team to root for. Love their enthusiasm. It all starts with Paige.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark of Iowa and Hailey Van Lith of Louisville have garnered lots of oohs and aahs in their first 2 weeks of college play, and it's exceedingly rare to see freshmen, especially early in the season, as poised and star-ready as those two.

Just the other day I mused, "If Paige is in fact the top of that class, then we UConn fans are in for a major treat." It seems that we indeed are so privileged. This team is Paige's world and we're just living in it.

The success of this team, in my eyes, isn't really about what Paige can do. It's plainly obvious she has greatness all about her. It's gonna hinge on how well her teammates step up alongside her.

Reaction Score
Im watched the game again. I dont think any of us realize how good this team will be in a few more weeks, and months and only get better over the next 2 years with the recruiting classes we have coming in. Its mind blowing how good we're gonna be.
You might be right but the weakest link is our post player. Liv cannot shoot free throws nor can she finish at the rim. In close games , FT and missed lay ups will cost you the game every time.

Reaction Score
H E double hockey sticks YES she can.

As a second point, Evina is a better version of Walker. We must remember that Walker was not unanimous #1 recruit, some folks thought Evina was #1. I like her playing a sort or Kia Nurse type role. About the same size, has an edge, and can run the offense but not the PG. Also it appeared that she really wants to play one on one defense. I'm sure those fouls will come down as she gets the conditioning up.

Reaction Score
You might be right but the weakest link is our post player. Liv cannot shoot free throws nor can she finish at the rim. In close games , FT and missed lay ups will cost you the game every time.
I totally agree...she doesn't play with much passion and if she couldn't score 30 against this pseudo college team ..not only is it sad for her :( but making the final 4 could be problematic

Reaction Score
As you posted, the team can be a great one and PG can be the glue (like DT before) to win the championship.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes, she can carry this team. In the process, she may hit a few of them in the back of the head with a pass or two. But they will learn.
How right you are! I played with a kid nicknamed "Flash Cadillac." You better be looking for the pass with your hands up. More than one bloody nose happened before some learned.

Paige lived up to expectations and then some. Lithe is a word ...
Great word choice! Most appropriate!

ONO only played 19 minutes.
Do you think she knows she is the only option at center? Without competition she won't push herself to be the best. Or has she hit her ceiling? For an easy game I'd start Aaliyah over Liv. I'd sub her in at center in appropriate situations. Let's see how both react. At some point a reasonably productive center will be needed. Liv will get into foul trouble.

We need CW to hit the open three pointer ... 38-40%.
She shot 34% last season.

The Freshman as a whole were great especially for their first time out. Lots to be excited about. Aubrey as well.
Agreed! I don't know about this abbreviate season but next year this group (and Azzi) will be leaning heavily on the upperclassmen starters.

Aside from being rusty, they appear to be a bit too pass happy. The black hole that was Megan Walker is not there to stop the music. But if that is the biggest problem, we will be all right. :)

Thanks for your post. Obviously I like it.

Reaction Score
"Can Paige carry this team to a FF or a NC in 2020?" This is just 1 game but PB is clearly the PG and this is PB's team. So I asked myself "Can D or Sue carry this team to a FF or a NC?" This is a much more difficult question to answer. PB does pattern her game after D and Sue as PG. We will know more in the coming week with Geno tweaking the line up and game plans.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I would also note that, other than a couple times during the first half, we didn’t see much of Paige’s outstanding ability to create her own shot and score whenever she needs to, either from the arc (0-0), pull up in the lane (1-1) or driving through traffic to the basket (1-1).

Bingo! I was thinking yesterday that Paige has a gear we didn’t see yesterday. Like she could take over at will.

Don’t forget Geno’s words something like “ I’ll be saying we couldn’t have won the national championship without her.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What we all saw, was a fresh UConn Team playing a Lowell Team that was not up to the challenge of UConn talent. Please remember that. Paige IS excelleent. No double about that. But, this TEAM and Paige have not faced a significant competitive challenge. Despite the comments above, I do not think that Paige alone, at this point in time can carry this TEAM. I think that the TEAM has to play like a TEAM in order for Paige or anyone else to excel. The addition of the new players in tandem with the seasoned players are going to make one helluva TEAM. I think that Geno is going to be making lot's of substitutions this year. I also think that A Edwards could earn herself a starting position if ONO does not become more assertive and accurate during a game. No question that Geno now has alternatives. He must be in a good place. The next few games will tell the tale of this "season".

Reaction Score
Ok, Geno and the team have gone thru and played their 1st game against UMASS Lowell (which as we "Boneyarders" should know was essentially the teams "Exhibition" game. Geno shuffled players in and out of yesterday's game, just like he has done in Exhibition Games in years past. It was an opportunity to see what he did not know he had (the New Players on the team) vs. the veteran returning players. So, with this, going into Tuesday's Seton Hall game, I strongly suggest that the rotation will be more defined and focused, with minutes being 'refined' and tightened. This how I see it:

The Starting Five will be:

Paige Bueckers - PG - She proved to everyone yesterday, that she is the "REAL DEAL"
Evina Westbrook - G - Evina's leadership skills is why she will continue to start
Anna Makurat - SF - Although not having the greatest game yesterday, she is Geno's legit 3 point threat and he needs her.
Christyn Williams - G - CW didn't have a stellar game yesterday, but she "Has the Goods"
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - C - Great 1st Half - "So-So" 2nd Half. No matter, it will be with ONO that will take this team to the Promise Land this year (yes Paige is great, but ONO will be the key as to whether we win a National Title or not)

First player off the bench will be Aubrey Griffin, given her ability to spark the team, her ferocious defense and pure athletic ability (9 Points in only 12 minutes yesterday). Geno knows what his has with Aubrey and thus there was no need or benefit to him or the team to give her allot of minutes yesterday in a game that was essentially an 'Exhibition Game'. AG has the ability to give the team a "Double/Double" in many games off the bench, this season.

Next off the bench will be Aaliyah Edwards. She will spell ONO at the post and will give some very productive minutes, despite being a Freshman. Big bodies are hard to come by.

The next 2, with somewhat "Shorter Minutes" than yesterday, will be both Nika Muhl and Mir McLean. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, they are both Freshman, on a team with great depth.

Thus, Geno will go with a 9 person rotation, but with the core being essentially 7 individuals getting the BULK OF TIME, going forward.

Reaction Score
Ok, Geno and the team have gone thru and played their 1st game against UMASS Lowell (which as we "Boneyarders" should know was essentially the teams "Exhibition" game. Geno shuffled players in and out of yesterday's game, just like he has done in Exhibition Games in years past. It was an opportunity to see what he did not know he had (the New Players on the team) vs. the veteran returning players. So, with this, going into Tuesday's Seton Hall game, I strongly suggest that the rotation will be more defined and focused, with minutes being 'refined' and tightened. This how I see it:

The Starting Five will be:

Paige Bueckers - PG - She proved to everyone yesterday, that she is the "REAL DEAL"
Evina Westbrook - G - Evina's leadership skills is why she will continue to start
Anna Makurat - SF - Although not having the greatest game yesterday, she is Geno's legit 3 point threat and he needs her.
Christyn Williams - G - CW didn't have a stellar game yesterday, but she "Has the Goods"
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - C - Great 1st Half - "So-So" 2nd Half. No matter, it will be with ONO that will take this team to the Promise Land this year (yes Paige is great, but ONO will be the key as to whether we win a National Title or not)

First player off the bench will be Aubrey Griffin, given her ability to spark the team, her ferocious defense and pure athletic ability (9 Points in only 12 minutes yesterday). Geno knows what his has with Aubrey and thus there was no need or benefit to him or the team to give her allot of minutes yesterday in a game that was essentially an 'Exhibition Game'. AG has the ability to give the team a "Double/Double" in many games off the bench, this season.

Next off the bench will be Aaliyah Edwards. She will spell ONO at the post and will give some very productive minutes, despite being a Freshman. Big bodies are hard to come by.

The next 2, with somewhat "Shorter Minutes" than yesterday, will be both Nika Muhl and Mir McLean. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, they are both Freshman, on a team with great depth.

Thus, Geno will go with a 9 person rotation, but with the core being essentially 7 individuals getting the BULK OF TIME, going forward.
I think Aaliyah Edwards is going to be great, good hands and finishes well. Nika, I thought, played well outside of a 2 minute stretch of time that everyone is focused on. Mir McLean was the biggest surprise of the game for me. That kid can play, and makes you notice her. This group really stands out, I like the chemistry so much better than last year. It's going to be very enjoyable to watch this team play for the foreseeable future (assuming no virus induced cancellations).

Reaction Score

Yesterday, Paige was all about getting her teammates involved. But In tough games against top competition, Geno knows he can ask Paige to take over the game as a score first, pass second player, in the mold of DT.
Exactly right. Paige is a PG first and a scorer 2nd. She will do whatever the team needs for her to do to win. Unlike Hailey Van Lith from Louisville who wants to shoot first and if she cant score, she will pass. When She takes over the point from Evans Louisville will be easier to beat. TThe Ville and Sanford look like our competition year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
H E double hockey sticks YES she can.

As a second point, Evina is a better version of Walker. We must remember that Walker was not unanimous #1 recruit, some folks thought Evina was #1. I like her playing a sort or Kia Nurse type role. About the same size, has an edge, and can run the offense but not the PG. Also it appeared that she really wants to play one on one defense. I'm sure those fouls will come down as she gets the conditioning up.
Love the enthusiasm for Evina, but I'm a bit mystified why so many seem to be taking pot shots at Megan, or at the least, downplaying her talent and skills. Are people still butt-hurt that she left for the WNBA early? I've also seen her called the "black hole on offense".

Megan improved every year. By the end of her junior year, she was a world class 3-point shooter and a 1st team AA. I have said numerous times that I felt she did not work well with Christyn on the floor together - they seemed to get in each others' way metaphorically speaking.

But let's be clear - Megan was a very talented player who did the very best she could while at UCONN, and has earned her place on the Huskies Wall of Honor. By all accounts, she is great friends with Evina and one of the big reasons Evina considered, and chose, UCONN.

Reaction Score
Paige is a bit in between Sue and DT for me. She has the DT swagger but when it comes to scoring she is all Sue. She gets everyone else involved until either the play breaks down and/or they need a bucket. That is totally how Sue runs Seattle.

Reaction Score
Love the enthusiasm for Evina, but I'm a bit mystified why so many seem to be taking pot shots at Megan, or at the least, downplaying her talent and skills. Are people still butt-hurt that she left for the WNBA early? I've also seen her called the "black hole on offense".

Megan improved every year. By the end of her junior year, she was a world class 3-point shooter and a 1st team AA. I have said numerous times that I felt she did not work well with Christyn on the floor together - they seemed to get in each others' way metaphorically speaking.

But let's be clear - Megan was a very talented player who did the very best she could while at UCONN, and has earned her place on the Huskies Wall of Honor. By all accounts, she is great friends with Evina and one of the big reasons Evina considered, and chose, UCONN.
See that's where we disagree. I don't think Walker did the best she could. I think she is hugely talented but she never fully got into passing or one on one defense to be truly great.

Reaction Score
I watched Harris carry South Carolina last year. She was the glue that made them go and kept them together. I saw Diana carry UConn on her back to NC's. She was the glue that kept them together and made them go. Paige has the same qualities. In Tues and Thurs nights games we will get an idea of where we are and who can do what in much tuffer games against division opponets. We got off to a slow start this season as did many other teams however with the pandemic we started even later then many other teams. Now its time to catch up in a very short time. We have the players who can get the job done. They need to just get a few games under their belts. Yesterday we looked a little rusty as a team. Rust comes from not playing. Hey it was our first game with alot of underclassman.

I read some posts that UMass was a weak team compared to UConn and they were however to see our freshman in their debut do what they did against a college team well I think we were all impressed. We showed our talent and what we can do. Now comes the tweaking which will breed confidence. I expect Evina to score more...she only played 21 minutes and Oliva played only 19 minutes. That will change as the season moves ahead and we get in better shape. Mir Griff and Edwards all played 11-12 minutes with Mir scoring in double figures and Griff and Edwards scoring 8 and 9. Although many posters thought UConn would score over 100 pts we showed we can score and the balance of scoring over 8 players looked very good. Turnovers were not bad and with that said 2 freshman turned it over 9 times. Not great but as a team we were fine.

What Im looking for over the next 3 games is UConn to improve their outside shooting. We moved the ball quickly yesterday and our passing and cutting looked good for most of the game. Our defense needs work but for the most part was reliable for now. We did what we were suppose to do again UMass and I over all liked the way we played. We are no where close to where we're gonna be in a few weeks and in a few months. Griff Mir Edwards and Nika are going to cause havoic. We still need to replace the scoring and leadership that Walker and Dangerfield had. That will happen. I expect as Evina gets back up to speed she will be a great leader and scorer. Paige already is. CW's shot will come back as soon as she gains more confidence and stops thinking about it. She just needs to let it happen which is easier to say then do.

We are in a good place right now with 5 games before Christmas and Im sure we will have at least one game before Baylor and Im guessing it will be a conference game as soon as the Big East announces the schedule. We are going to be a very tuff out when when February arrives. By Feburary we should be settled in and rollin. I can only imagine how good we are going to be, and good, may be an understatement, because I feel this team will become a monster because of the competitive edge every player has and because of the intensity and aggression players like Nika Mir Griff and Edwards showed yesterday. Hold on to your seatbelts because the roller coaster is about to take off.

As usual, I'm tired of your incessant pessimism, Tony.
But you mentioned scoring 100 points. Why didn't the team score that many? Because they didn't try to--or want to. The purpose of this game was to shake out the players, it was not intended to embarrass a brave but hapless UMass team. Thanks should go to Shea's husband and his intrepid band of overmatched warriors for taking the game and giving us the chance to marvel at ourselves.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No Paige cannot carry this team by herself. The rest of the team specifically CW and ONO will need to step up and contribute more. I could easily envision a scenario where teams start doubling Paige to make her give the ball up. The rest of the team is not playing well enough to beat the better teams ranked 1-6. The rest of the team cost paige at least 3 assist and 2 TO yesterday because they are not doing ther part.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can Paige carry this team? If UConn wants to win a national championship let us hope not. Let's be clear, "carrying" a team and being the POY that is the most important part of that team are two very different things. Stewie never "carried" her championship teams. She was never required to be the one who scores the most, played the best defense, ran the offense, and motivated the team when things got tough. DT "carried" two teams to championships, but it's hard to see her do that under today's atmosphere or with the talent distribution and the sheer amount of it throughout WCBB.

If UConn wants to win a championship in any of Paige's 4 (or so) years under Geno she'll need consistent and versatile shooters, from the arc inwards, to feed and strong and mobile rebounders up front. Everyone around her will have to be smart, soft handed, tough minded, and good passers as well. Let's be even clearer. No one player today can carry any one team to a championship, no matter how talented. Sabrina Ionescu, as close to a DT we've seen so far, couldn't do it in 4 years, and she was surrounded by supreme talent.

Now, Geno ain't no armchair dribbler like me. He's made sure to surround Paige with a bunch of requisite pieces, and even more in the coming years. He's said in no uncertain terms that he doesn't expect Paige to have to carry any of his teams to a championship. Can this team win a championship? Yes and yes. Can Geno's teams also win in the coming 3 years of Paige's tour at UConn as well? Yes and yes. But if this years team wants to be Dancing Queen's this year they have a lot of work and a lot of growing to do.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No Paige cannot carry this team by herself. The rest of the team specifically CW and ONO will need to step up and contribute more. I could easily envision a scenario where teams start doubling Paige to make her give the ball up. The rest of the team is not playing well enough to beat the better teams ranked 1-6. The rest of the team cost paige at least 3 assist and 2 TO yesterday because they are not doing ther part.
Doubling Paige and packing the paint forcing UConn to beat them from the perimeter. You're so right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom