Can Nebrich Redshirt Now?? | The Boneyard

Can Nebrich Redshirt Now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I put this in as part of another post, but there were no takers.

Unless there is an injury, we probably will not see Nebrich this year. He has played some, but can he still redshirt??

Reaction Score
No, he can't. You are currently enjoying an impressive display of blowing redshirts left and right for no reason.

Reaction Score
I would like somebody to second the motion. There was a game where he went in for two plays. Can't believe that PP & Co. are not tracking this.

Reaction Score
The only way to redshirt after playing a snap is to take a medical redshirt, I believe. Even that, though, you lose the option after you've appeared in more than 2 games.

It may be a complete waste of a year eligibility, but it still will use a year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
i don't think passing on the redshirt is a bad idea. i can't remember the last time we had a starting QB last the entire season, and the way McEntee runs and "slides" i doubt he'll break our streak. i'd actually like to see Nebrich continue to get a drive or two a game even with McEntee established as the number one, so he can get some experience for when we do need him. besides, if McEntee continues as the starter next season we can always RS Nebrich next year.

Reaction Score
i don't think passing on the redshirt is a bad idea. i can't remember the last time we had a starting QB last the entire season, and the way McEntee runs and "slides" i doubt he'll break our streak. i'd actually like to see Nebrich continue to get a drive or two a game even with McEntee established as the number one, so he can get some experience for when we do need him. besides, if McEntee continues as the starter next season we can always RS Nebrich next year.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine being Nebrich--hardly playing this year, and then being red-shirted the following year........I'd be going crazy. Frankly, I think I would transfer.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine being Nebrich--hardly playing this year, and then being red-shirted the following year........I'd be going crazy. Frankly, I think I would transfer.

I think Nebrich has more character than you are giving him credit for. He is a competitor. He came here early to compete for the job. He won't quit on the team. When you face obstacles you work even harder, not transfer.

Reaction Score
Look -- I'm not happy with being 2-4 with this team, but P has only used 3 true frosh. We've used more than that plenty of years. And, as someone said, they can always be redshirted next year if we have more proven depth at TB, QB or WR.

You can't criticize someone for not winning and then criticize him for doing everything he views as possible to get them. Well, I guess you can, but not if you're going to be fair.

Reaction Score

not if it's to sit a year until the starter graduates. it's one thing if you're doing it and there's a younger kid ahead of you, but if you're waiting for a starter to graduate what's the difference between RSing the first or second year?

ideally we could RS every freshman, but i think since Box transferred, a lack of depth at QB probably would have necessitated playing Nebrich at some point regardless of whether he was named starter.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I don't understand why anyone thinks this way (sorry). You can burn a redshirt later on, if there is an injury. I'd rather keep the option open, instead of what has ended up happening.

Nebrich not redshirting has been one of the key headscratchers of this year. Maybe RE promised he would "see the field" as a frosh? Who knows...

Reaction Score
I think Nebrich has more character than you are giving him credit for. He is a competitor. He came here early to compete for the job. He won't quit on the team. When you face obstacles you work even harder, not transfer.

Wasn't this how people were talking about Michael Box just a year or so ago?

BTW, I agree M Nebrich should have been red shirted. This year thus far has been a waste.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
When Box left, we lost our depth at QB and Nebrich had to lose his redshirt. It is obvious the coaches don't think McCummings is an everyday QB. So there is no one behind McEntee. My guess is the coaches didn't want to roll the dice that McEntee wouldn't completely suck or get injured, then they would have to bring in a true freshman with no game experience. They got him some experience in case he needed to come in for McEntee.

If McEntee goes down, Nebrich is the next guy in, not McCummings.

Same thing next year...there is no way he can red shirt. Unless something changes with McCummings, Nebrich will be the starter or back up next year, which means he will have to get some game experience.

Reaction Score
When Box left, we lost our depth at QB and Nebrich had to lose his redshirt. It is obvious the coaches don't think McCummings is an everyday QB. So there is no one behind McEntee. My guess is the coaches didn't want to roll the dice that McEntee wouldn't completely suck or get injured, then they would have to bring in a true freshman with no game experience. They got him some experience in case he needed to come in for McEntee.

If McEntee goes down, Nebrich is the next guy in, not McCummings.

Same thing next year...there is no way he can red shirt. Unless something changes with McCummings, Nebrich will be the starter or back up next year, which means he will have to get some game experience.

Bingo. Nebrich will have opportunity to red shirt anyone of the next 3 years. Chances are though, that if he continues to improve in practices, he'll be a starter next year.

Remember, according to P, this kid is running both offensive packages that are in place for McEntee and McCummings.

It all depends on how hard he works, and how well he shows improvement over the next year, but I don't see how if the kid is showing consistent improvement and playing well, how he's not going to win the starting job next year......there's just a lot more you can do on offensive with a kid like that back there taking snaps.

And, at this point in time, he's never more than 1 snap away from becoming the guy anyway.

If things had gone differently with the QBs recruited ahead of Nebrich, there's no doubt that he gets the shirt this year. Didn't happen that way.

I fully expect to Cochran to be wearing the red shirt next year.

Reaction Score
Bingo. Nebrich will have opportunity to red shirt anyone of the next 3 years. Chances are though, that if he continues to improve in practices, he'll be a starter next year.

Remember, according to P, this kid is running both offensive packages that are in place for McEntee and McCummings.

It all depends on how hard he works, and how well he shows improvement over the next year, but I don't see how if the kid is showing consistent improvement and playing well, how he's not going to win the starting job next year......there's just a lot more you can do on offensive with a kid like that back there taking snaps.

And, at this point in time, he's never more than 1 snap away from becoming the guy anyway.

If things had gone differently with the QBs recruited ahead of Nebrich, there's no doubt that he gets the shirt this year. Didn't happen that way.

I fully expect to Cochran to be wearing the red shirt next year.

These last two posts were very well thought out and worded. Cudos to the posters for seeing clearly. I can assure you Michael has been working very hard, doing very well, and is still enjoying the ride. Thank you for your continued support!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
These last two posts were very well thought out and worded. Cudos to the posters for seeing clearly. I can assure you Michael has been working very hard, doing very well, and is still enjoying the ride. Thank you for your continued support!

Thank you for coming to this forum and interjecting the perspective from the players point of view. Sometimes we are unable to control our emotional needs and our vitriol comes at the expense of players and coaches. There should be coaching on self discipline.:)

Hopefully you have the ability to handle our occasional tantrums.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that Pasqualoni desperately wanted Nebrich to get the starting job. I think that was the thinking behind using him earlier in the year. It wasn't so he'd be experienced in case of injury. Since he didn't, for a combination of reasons I suspect, we are where we are and he has now blown the redshirt. I still odn't get how this staff with all its experience, and with Joe Moorehead staying around, didn't go out and try and land a JUCO. Even a late JUCO signed after the bigger names were gone, could have added to this offense. I just don't get the thinking on Box and McCummings both of whom were clearly limited. Ah well. Lots of things I don't get about this staff. I'm not ready to dump them, but I really don't understand a lot of their decisions.

Reaction Score
Why was it a waste? It is October, we are half way thru the season. What happens, if god forbid, McEntee gets hurt this week or next game? I'd much rather have a kid run off of the sideline having some experience playing D1 football than the opposite. Can we wait until December to determine what mistakes were made to red shirts, playing time, etc.? If so, maybe we could stop assuming what the coaches are thinking, how players are reacting, which players have been written off, etc. I think Mike came here to be on the field not hold a clip board.

Reaction Score
Someone answer this....Johnny Mac is a Redshirt Jr and an academic SR....any word on him planning on staying to play another year? He was a walk-on and I assume he's been given a scholarship?

Reaction Score
This is correct. The kid is a freshman and seems to be the future, so I don't think that he will decide to leave because he did not play. He knows that he has to wait.

Reaction Score
It was a waste because you can always use a kid, even if you originally planned to redshirt him, if you need him later in the season. And it isn't like he's had all this experience. A few plays here and there. If we need to use him, he'll pick up a comparable amount of experience in his first couple of series. Here's the thing. If he ahd been redshirted, then its likely Box stays around and we have McEntee backed up by Box and McCummings. Nebrich learns the system, gets acclamated to the college game and is ready to take over next year andwe have a starter for the next 4 years if he turns out to be what everyone thought he might be. In my view, the way the quarterback situation was handled may actually have hurt his development,aand even if it didn't, it likely wasted a year. As I said in August, and I stand by it, barring an injury, Nebrich should only have seen the field this year if he was clearly superior to the other alternatives. 99% of the time, a quarterback is far more valuable as a 5th year senior than as a true freshman. At this point in the season it is pretty clear that the coaching staff was not convinced that Nebrich was the best option. He was clearly NOT superior to the others. Every effort should have been made to allow him to redshirt.

Reaction Score
As of yet neither Johnny or Hinkley have been given schollies for this year. That is a big diff between RE and PP. You could almost count on at least 1 or 2 walkon would be given available scholarships for thier last year nevermind guys that earned playing time. As a reward for working hard through thier first 3 years a la Yurek, Molina etal. these were typically ones given up by departing players and does hurt future recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom