Can Nebrich Redshirt Now?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can Nebrich Redshirt Now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder how often Nebrich thinks about the prophetic BC coach who recruited him last year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wonder how often Nebrich thinks about the prophetic BC coach who recruited him last year?

Nice way to spin a slimy action into something "prescient".

Reaction Score
It was a waste because you can always use a kid, even if you originally planned to redshirt him, if you need him later in the season. And it isn't like he's had all this experience. A few plays here and there. If we need to use him, he'll pick up a comparable amount of experience in his first couple of series. Here's the thing. If he ahd been redshirted, then its likely Box stays around and we have McEntee backed up by Box and McCummings. Nebrich learns the system, gets acclamated to the college game and is ready to take over next year andwe have a starter for the next 4 years if he turns out to be what everyone thought he might be. In my view, the way the quarterback situation was handled may actually have hurt his development,aand even if it didn't, it likely wasted a year. As I said in August, and I stand by it, barring an injury, Nebrich should only have seen the field this year if he was clearly superior to the other alternatives. 99% of the time, a quarterback is far more valuable as a 5th year senior than as a true freshman. At this point in the season it is pretty clear that the coaching staff was not convinced that Nebrich was the best option. He was clearly NOT superior to the others. Every effort should have been made to allow him to redshirt.

You're saying a lot in there that I don't think you've got really anything to go on beside whatever your own thought process is.

These coaches went through their red shirt determinations a long time ago and Nebrich didn't fit a red shirt, and he still doesn't. The only way Nebrich would have had a shirt this year is if Endres was still on the roster, and when Box left (which clearly means that Nebrich was better than at least one of the four QB's on the roster) any shot of a red shirt left with him.

Are you seriously advocating going through a 12 game college football season with 2 QB's in McEntee and McCummings, and Driscoll?

You think that guys like Pasqualoni, DeLeone, and Brown are rookies at making red shirt determinations? Do you know when you actually do that kind of thing during the course of football year?

If there's anything you can be confident about when it comes to this coachign staff right now, it's in their ability to recruit for a football program sitting in the middle of Connecticut, and their ability to determine if a player is capable and ready to compete at te level necessary to play against the opponents we've got lined up.

Nebrich worked hard enough, and improved enough from January to August 2011 not to wear a red shirt. How in the hell is this hurting his development as a QB?

P.S. Have you seen what Edsall is doing to the QB's in Maryland?

Reaction Score
You're saying a lot in there that I don't think you've got really anything to go on beside whatever your own thought process is.

These coaches went through their red shirt determinations a long time ago and Nebrich didn't fit a red shirt, and he still doesn't. The only way Nebrich would have had a shirt this year is if Endres was still on the roster, and when Box left (which clearly means that Nebrich was better than at least one of the four QB's on the roster) any shot of a red shirt left with him.

Are you seriously advocating going through a 12 game college football season with 2 QB's in McEntee and McCummings, and Driscoll?

You think that guys like Pasqualoni, DeLeone, and Brown are rookies at making red shirt determinations? Do you know when you actually do that kind of thing during the course of football year?

If there's anything you can be confident about when it comes to this coachign staff right now, it's in their ability to recruit for a football program sitting in the middle of Connecticut, and their ability to determine if a player is capable and ready to compete at te level necessary to play against the opponents we've got lined up.

Nebrich worked hard enough, and improved enough from January to August 2011 not to wear a red shirt. How in the hell is this hurting his development as a QB?

P.S. Have you seen what Edsall is doing to the QB's in Maryland?
Carl,

I didn't say any of that. I said that Nebrich should have redshirted this year. he clearly isn't the best quarterback and now he's wasted a whole year in order to prove what the coaches knew by the first Saturday in Sedptember, because if they thought he was the best, he, not McEntee would have played most of the Fordham game and most of the Vandy and every other game. It was a waste of a season if all he gets used is a handful of series this year. Now deciding to redshirt him doesn't mean that in case of an injury he won't get into a game if you need him. Saying you want to redshirt a player doesn't mean you can't change your mind midway through the season. But this is a player that many think could be the future of the program. He has played something like 15 plays in 3 games. so now he has 3 years remaining. Assuming he earns the starting job next year, and turns out as good as some think he will, we've wasted an entire season so he could get 15 plays from scrimmage. to me, it was a foolish decision by Pasqualoni and DeLeone and one they should have known better than to have made. I can think of no good reason why they would waste a whole year of eligibility on 15 plays. As I said back in August, a 5th year senior quarterback is of more value than the same player as a true freshman. They SHOULD have gone into the season with MacEntee as the starter, backed up by McCummings and if MacEntee didn't cut it, or got hurt you can always re-visit the Nebrich redshirt issue. Let the kid learn in practice and holding a clipboard until you need him. If things go well, you never need him. And you have 4 full seasons of play from your most important player.

I'm at a loss as to what Edsall and maryland have to do with this decision, for what it is worth.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can think it would make sense to try and redshirt your QB2 -- if he gets called into action in week 8 or 9 and hasn't played a down, you'd all be calling that stupid coaching.... it's clear the staff does not see mccummings as an everydown qb so redshirting nebrich was off the table when box left...

Reaction Score
Carl,

I didn't say any of that. I said that Nebrich should have redshirted this year. he clearly isn't the best quarterback and now he's wasted a whole year in order to prove what the coaches knew by the first Saturday in Sedptember, because if they thought he was the best, he, not McEntee would have played most of the Fordham game and most of the Vandy and every other game. It was a waste of a season if all he gets used is a handful of series this year. Now deciding to redshirt him doesn't mean that in case of an injury he won't get into a game if you need him. Saying you want to redshirt a player doesn't mean you can't change your mind midway through the season. But this is a player that many think could be the future of the program. He has played something like 15 plays in 3 games. so now he has 3 years remaining. Assuming he earns the starting job next year, and turns out as good as some think he will, we've wasted an entire season so he could get 15 plays from scrimmage. to me, it was a foolish decision by Pasqualoni and DeLeone and one they should have known better than to have made. I can think of no good reason why they would waste a whole year of eligibility on 15 plays. As I said back in August, a 5th year senior quarterback is of more value than the same player as a true freshman. They SHOULD have gone into the season with MacEntee as the starter, backed up by McCummings and if MacEntee didn't cut it, or got hurt you can always re-visit the Nebrich redshirt issue. Let the kid learn in practice and holding a clipboard until you need him. If things go well, you never need him. And you have 4 full seasons of play from your most important player.

I'm at a loss as to what Edsall and maryland have to do with this decision, for what it is worth.

The coaches thought/hoped that Nebrich would have won the job by now in practice, and that they needed to keep him motivated, and needed to get him a taste, to get him there. It didn't happen. Big deal. You don't get to know the future when you make a deision, and this decision was rational when made.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. Just look at the development of QB's over the past 12 years at this program. Look what's already happening to QB's in Maryland. The ACC rookie of the year has regressed to the point where Edsall benched him against GT and is using an OR statement in a depth chart at the QB position to try to throw off the game planning for Clemson.....sound familiar?

Look at the list of QB's that Deleone has developed over the 40 years he's been coaching offenses in college.

A non-medical redshirt for 2011 is a LUXURY - non-medical reshirts are luxury's AFTER you've got a solid depth chart - was out of the question for Nebrich by August. REason #1, is taht he developed himself enough and did well enough to earn himself playing time, working BOTH offensive systems that were taylored to McCumminga nd McEntee. The chance of the luxury of a non-medical redshirt in any other situation besides te kid being wholly unprepared to play at this level, left mid-season 2010 when Endres was gone, and as soon as Box was sent to the Scout team, it was the most clear sign that Nebrich was playing better, and Box transferred out.

Nebrich, is now, I believe the solid backup to McEntee. McCummings just isn't a 4 quarter QB. He might be eventually, but we don't have enough on offense to get 4 quarters out of him right now, and that's not because he's not a thrower, it's because our depth in the offensive backfield is even more thin than our depth at QB.

I hope Nebrich is doing well in teh classroom. We've got people in charge of this program right now that actually know how to develop QB's on the field.

Reaction Score
And by the way, the only way Nebrich gets a redshirt is if he transfers to another FBS school or FCS school who deliberately redshirts him.... If he stays, and gets hurt, he can get a medical redshirt..

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can think it would make sense to try and redshirt your QB2 -- if he gets called into action in week 8 or 9 and hasn't played a down, you'd all be calling that stupid coaching.... it's clear the staff does not see mccummings as an everydown qb so redshirting nebrich was off the table when box left...

I agree completely. I think the concept that nebrich didnt' get a non-medical redshirt, given our depth chart after 2010 going into 2011, and then after the way things worked out from January to August 2011, it's just ridiculous and is a product of 12 years of Randy Edsall's football program, and it speaks to not really understanding that these coaches are doing everything they possibly can to develop this roster and win games.

Lamenting the loss of the luxury of the non-medical redshirt for Nebrich is fine. I do. He might not have a 5th year in his career, and you know what? I hope he doesn't earn a 5th year, because if he doesn't earn a 5th year at this point, it will mean that he'll finish his career in 4 years, with a degree, and having had productive and healthy career at the QB position. But to think that not using the shirt this year, is somehow going to regress the kid is plain wrong, and all I need to do is look at the big picture when it comes to the QB position and what's happened around it since 1984.

We're going to get that position on the field back to the level it needs to be. It's a pretty important thing, to a top notch football team, to have a productive QB on the field.

He's one snap away from being the starter and being the guy.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. I think the concept that nebrich didnt' get a non-medical redshirt, given our depth chart after 2010 going into 2011, and then after the way things worked out from January to August 2011, it's just ridiculous and is a product of 12 years of Randy Edsall's football program, and it speaks to not really understanding that these coaches are doing everything they possibly can to develop this roster and win games.

Lamenting the loss of the luxury of the non-medical redshirt for Nebrich is fine. I do. He might not have a 5th year in his career, and you know what? I hope he doesn't earn a 5th year, because if he doesn't earn a 5th year at this point, it will mean that he'll finish his career in 4 years, with a degree, and having had productive and healthy career at the QB position. But to think that not using the shirt this year, is somehow going to regress the kid is plain wrong, and all I need to do is look at the big picture when it comes to the QB position and what's happened around it since 1984.

We're going to get that position on the field back to the level it needs to be. It's a pretty important thing, to a top notch football team, to have a productive QB on the field.

He's one snap away from being the starter and being the guy.

Do you even know how many straight posts you've mentioned Randy Edsall? I'm defending P on this, but do you not realize that you are not defending the coaches but killing them every time you bring Edsall up in this discussion? P needs to be judged on what he does and does not do. Edsall has nothing to do with it, and your getting to pathetic need to mention him in every damn post makes it look like you're unwilling to simply defend P for making a choice based on what he inherited.

Reaction Score
Do you even know how many straight posts you've mentioned Randy Edsall? I'm defending P on this, but do you not realize that you are not defending the coaches but killing them every time you bring Edsall up in this discussion? P needs to be judged on what he does and does not do. Edsall has nothing to do with it, and your getting to pathetic need to mention him in every damn post makes it look like you're unwilling to simply defend P for making a choice based on what he inherited.
Again, if you decide to redshirt a player in September, it doesn't mean you can't change your mind in mid-October if circumstances warrant it. Redshirting is ALWAYS discretionary. So if Mac gets knocked out on Saturday, it is completely within the rules to bring Nebrich off the bench even though he was planning to redshirt. That is what UCONN did with Brown in 2005 or 2006 when both Bones and DJ Hernandez got banged up. Up tot hat point, the plan was that Brown would redshirt. You could do the same with Nebrich. And I seriously question the whole concept that he got all that much benefit from his 20 plays. I think he had 1 drive that lasted more than 3 or 4 plays. If he needs to play in the future, he is still completely inexperieinced. He'll see more action in the first half than he did in 5 games he played. Beyond that, lots of quarterbacks last a full season and lots of backups seldom if ever see the field. You have a competent guy who could handle a few plays in McCummings. If you have an injury and you need someone to take over full time for a game or a few games, you can revisit the redshirt matter. Nebrich didn't get those 20 plays because we needed him. He got them because this highly experienced coaching staff couldn't make a decision on who would be the quarterback or because they knew what the choice should be but didn't want to make it.

Reaction Score

Wonder how often he thinks "wow - I thought the assistant coach at BCU was a low life, but did you see what the paper quoted Flipper as saying (guess the whole AD department is made up of low lifes, probably a reflection of the whole administration and type student they attract), wonder who will be coaching BCU next year?"

Reaction Score
Again, if you decide to redshirt a player in September, it doesn't mean you can't change your mind in mid-October if circumstances warrant it. Redshirting is ALWAYS discretionary. So if Mac gets knocked out on Saturday, it is completely within the rules to bring Nebrich off the bench even though he was planning to redshirt. That is what UCONN did with Brown in 2005 or 2006 when both Bones and DJ Hernandez got banged up. Up tot hat point, the plan was that Brown would redshirt. You could do the same with Nebrich. And I seriously question the whole concept that he got all that much benefit from his 20 plays. I think he had 1 drive that lasted more than 3 or 4 plays. If he needs to play in the future, he is still completely inexperieinced. He'll see more action in the first half than he did in 5 games he played. Beyond that, lots of quarterbacks last a full season and lots of backups seldom if ever see the field. You have a competent guy who could handle a few plays in McCummings. If you have an injury and you need someone to take over full time for a game or a few games, you can revisit the redshirt matter. Nebrich didn't get those 20 plays because we needed him. He got them because this highly experienced coaching staff couldn't make a decision on who would be the quarterback or because they knew what the choice should be but didn't want to make it.

Look, we obviously disagree and it's not changing. Its not just the 20 plays on the field, seriously. We fans see about 10% of what football players do with their time. It's the other 90% of the time we don't see that matters to Nebrich.

I see quarterback(S) developing clearly in a positive direction, and yes I've brought up Edsall several times, becuase QB's for the past decade have consistently regressed at UConn. I guess that's irrelevant to what's happening now though.

Nebrich lost the luxury of a redshirt because of what transpired with two quarterbacks that were recruited ahead of him. Period.

The only thing I can add, is that I don't think there is another position on the field, where being #2 is as important as QB. The experience this kid is getting as a true freshman, having competed so hard for a starting job, and now having that role is far more valueable for where he fits into this roster, this team going forward, than a red shirt year QB'ing the scout team would have done.

I would have loved to have red shirt for the kid. But the chances of doing it left with Endres and then was packed away for good when he beat out Box training camp.

As for McCummings, I've talked about this at length before. With a backfield full of RB's and FB's, we can run an option offense all day long with this guy at QB. We don't have it. The most effective offense we can get out of McCummigs with this roster is exactly what they're doing. IF you try to run a full offense with our roster right now and McCummings, you'll get an effective quarter, maybe a quarter and a half, and then the defense will adjust and shut it down. We don't have enough players in the backfield to run an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom