Cam Spencer Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Was reading the Rutgers forum: some guys (sour grapes) downplaying his ability but most saying "losing Cam is a season crusher".

-"too high...too high"

"What do you mean too high? it's gone!"
My buddy that works for the NBA league office and has two sons at Rutgers right now congratulated the UConn fans on our group text for getting him and saying he will be really good.

Reaction Score
We’re going to have a lot of people here getting sized for ring #6 which is crazy but just having the pieces to be in the mix is great. Spencer is a very smart player from what has been posted so this team is going to have a very high BBIQ? As good as last year? The other thing I am psyched about is having a second unit that has great quality as they take the court but of course Clingan is not on that unit. Could someone speak to that because that absolutely killed our opponents all year.
Singare and Johnson could emerge as a two headed monster off the bench
Both look so athletic and fast, clingan really moves great, they might move even better

Reaction Score
We are set up for another season of beautiful offense. Funny how quick perceptions change. It seemed like the archetypical Hurley team was a defensive minded bully with inefficient ISO guys. Who knew, the style changes as you attract more talent!
Amazingly that is one of the perceptions about us that nudged Griffiths toward Rutgers, or so I’ve heard. This is a high powered NBA style offense when run properly.

Reaction Score
Castle is right around AJ's height and Cam only and an inch smaller than Hawkins. Pretty close in height all around. I even seen Castle listed at 6'7" which is taller than AJ so would balance out the 1 inch difference with Hawkins.
Castle doesn't have Jackson's physicality, but Spencer, while a little shorter, is stockier and can stand up to beefier guards better.

Reaction Score
I’m still concerned about our bench though
It's the best overall recruiting class uconn has had in over 15 years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Ball is a more highly rated recruit than either Hawkins or Bouknight were... And he's not the best player in the class. Add a healthy and confident Samson Johnson to the mix with a super experienced player in Hassan Diarra and our bench is probably a strength in comparison to 98% of teams.

Reaction Score
Amazingly that is one of the perceptions about us that nudged Griffiths toward Rutgers, or so I’ve heard. This is a high powered NBA style offense when run properly.

Right. And teams would negatively recruit against us saying we do not feature bigs. Thanks Adama for changing that perception!

KeyWestUC

Southernmost UCONN
Reaction Score
15. Cam Spencer, 6-4, SG, Sr., Rutgers Scarlet Knights

A very late addition to the portal, Spencer spent one season at Rutgers, averaging 13.2 points and shooting 43.4% from 3. Started his career at Loyola Maryland, putting up 18.9 PPG in 2021-22.

51. Nicolas Timberlake, 6-4, SG, Sr., Towson Tigers
Committed to Kansas
One of the best 3-point shooters in the portal, Timberlake shot better than 41% from beyond the arc over his past two seasons at Towson. Averaged 17.7 points this past season. Two-time all-league pick.

Per ESPN - KARMA - sorry if already posted - posts are coming in faster than I can put this in LO.

Reaction Score
We have to keep this staff together.

Hurley is trying his darnest to get them opportunities to lead programs. He thinks they deserve their shots.

If Spenser shoots anywhere near 43%, it would be a amazing compliment to our inside game. --And make next season a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
It's the best overall recruiting class uconn has had in over 15 years. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Ball is a more highly rated recruit than either Hawkins or Bouknight were... And he's not the best player in the class. Add a healthy and confident Samson Johnson to the mix with a super experienced player in Hassan Diarra and our bench is probably a strength in comparison to 98% of teams.
I understand how the transfer portal has changed things, and the need to fill gaps with high level experienced transfers, but I do not like this seeming attitude that we should overfill our backup squad with transfers over our top freshman recruits.

Reaction Score
Hurley is trying his darnest to get them opportunities to lead programs. He thinks they deserve their shots.

If Spenser shoots anywhere near 43%, it would be a amazing compliment to our inside game. --And make next season a lot of fun.
Well he did that in the Big 10 so there’s a good chance he can damn near replicate that in the Big East. Much harder for a guy like Timberlake who played in the CAA to do that in the B12.

Cam is also a 90% FT shooter. That will be huge in crunch time. He is a better fit than Timberlake would have been. We lucked out by missing on him earlier lol

Reaction Score
This is awesome news. Our starting lineup is set.

I’m still concerned about our bench though. I hope Hurley snags one more starting level player (preferably a big).
Same comment as with Wilcher. You're not getting a championship contender starting big to come here to sit behind Clingan and Karaban and fight for minutes off the bench with Johnson, Singare and Stewart. If we bring in a big, it's going to be someone who is willing to come here and fight for 10 minutes a game of playing time who won't ruin chemistry if they don't get it. Most likely someone like Joey -- a grad transfer who started at a mid-major and is willing to risk sitting for the chance to be playing on a top tier team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand how the transfer portal has changed things, and the need to fill gaps with high level experienced transfers, but I do not like this seeming attitude that we should overfill our backup squad with transfers over our top freshman recruits.
We're bring in five top freshmen this year. By the time we found out about our NBA losses, the portal was really the only option to bring in top players. I don't think it's an attitude, you need both.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
wolf of wall street GIF

Reaction Score
If their rankings and stars mean anything our recruits should be very good, but we haven't seen them under fire. Hurley knows what we have though.

Reaction Score
Impressive addition. We are a force to be reckoned with with this full roster. As I have said in other threads, I'd love to have 1 more wide body type for the front court. Doesn't have to be good enough to compete for minutes, just serviceable to spell defensively against power players, or take spot minutes in a foul plagued game. A 2024 reclass that expects little time would be great.

AND, we still have Gavin Griffiths on our Rutgers farm team to get some experience before he sees the light and comes home. I believe he will prove to be a worthy player.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything but the "unbiased opinion". LOL. 99.7% of posters on this board have a biased opinion
If you're biased, and you're right, were you ever really biased?

Idk, I just ask the questions.

This coaching staff is full of closers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom