Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So much to love about Cam. We were lucky to get him.

He picked up Hurley's offense and defense from day 1. No other Hurley transfer or freshman has done that.

Has KEA's moxie towards opposing fans.

His playing through two turf toes is probably the best gutting out performance by a UConn player since KFree played through cramps.

He's putting up numbers similar to the BE preseason pick for player of the year:

Cam:
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Tyler Kolek:
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing; did KU offer more $ or did we find out that Cam was interested in UConn and back off on Timberlake knowing that Cam was better suited to the Huskies and the Big East?
It’s a great question, Hurley having jersey ties I’m sure played a role, could’ve been as simple as reaching out to him or vice versa, and Hurley just falling in love with the interview process, maybe Timberlake telling Hurley he was visiting Kansas after his visit rubbed Hurley wrong way and made the decision easier.
It's possible we wanted both with Cam filling in Hawk's role and Timberlake filling Joey California's role. We have one open scholarship that wasn't filled.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Cam is a better offensive player here than Hawkins was here. Teams had to focus more on Hawk but Cam is a better dribbler, passer, and even a better open shooter than Hawk. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with more offensive skill and craft to his game.

A few things. The argument was who would you rather have right now, not is Cam better now offensively than Hawk was last year. I don't think there's any question that current junior year Hawk would be a better player overall. I think there's a reason teams would devote so many resources to Hawkins. If they didn't, he would absolutely kill them coming off of screens all day long.

As far as your point, we can agree to disagree on that, but I agree that Cam is a great player and more well-rounded offensively than Hawk was last year.

Reaction Score
A few things. The argument was who would you rather have right now, not is Cam better now offensively than Hawk was last year. I don't think there's any question that current junior year Hawk would be a better player overall. I think there's a reason teams would devote so many resources to Hawkins. If they didn't, he would absolutely kill them coming off of screens all day long.

As far as your point, we can agree to disagree on that, but I agree that Cam is a great player and more well-rounded offensively than Hawk was last year.
These threads have become impossible to read. You must be responding to posts I can't see. I don't see any posts in the thread comparing Cam this season to a hypothetical junior year Hawkins.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
These threads have become impossible to read. You must be responding to posts I can't see. I don't see any posts in the thread comparing Cam this season to a hypothetical junior year Hawkins.

Maybe it's someone on an ignore list, the post that started it said if they had a choice between Cam or Hawk coming back for his junior year he'd pick Cam.

Reaction Score
"Kansas Nick"? Who Dat?

I'll take Cam all day! What a great player is he!

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. He has come in and become the leader on the defending national champs.

And he’s better than both Sheffer and Henefeld. Without question.

Let me start by saying I do not like comparisons of guys who are or have been hugely important to the success of UConn basketball at any point over the last 35 years. Cam has quickly become a hugely important piece to this current team. Obviously he is a better choice than Timberlake, and we have probably won at least 2 more games this year, including last night, because of his play.

That having been said... time to step in and bring some reality to this. I was doing games on WHUS during the '89-90 season, Henefeld's only year as a Husky. And this is a ridiculously wrong take.

Making a comment like this discounts the fact that Nadav Henefeld may have had the single most important impact that any one-year player has ever had on our program. And the single most important lineup change that has ever been made... inserting Nadav into the starting lineup after we started 0-2 in the Big East that year - including a 31-point blow out at St. John's. If you had told anyone after that game what would happen over the next 3 months they would have told you that you were absolutely crazy. And no one... NO ONE... on that team had more to do with that than Nadav Henefeld. His insertion into the starting 5 made everyone better, and helped build us into what we became that year, and beyond.

And the game that frankly changed everything for the future trajectory of our entire program was that Saturday night, January 20th game against the Georgetown Hoyas (ranked #2 and going to be #1 the following Monday after #1 Kansas lost earlier that day)... and Nadav was THE reason we won that game. He was nothing short of spectacular in the 2nd half. He was the reason we finally started to believe in ourselves that year.

As good as Cam is, there is no way he could have done what Nadav did against THAT Georgetown team of John Thompson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Dwayne Bryant and their group of intimidators that night.

Cam did it against a bunch of good D1 ballplayers... Nadav did it against a #2 team in the country, highlighted by 2 future NBA All-Stars. No comparison.

So sorry, but no. Just, NO.

The answer is without question, I agree with that part... but the obviously correct answer is Nadav Henefeld.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's someone on an ignore list, the post that started it said if they had a choice between Cam or Hawk coming back for his junior year he'd pick Cam.

Whomever you are talking to I have on ignore as well lol. So it’s a mutual love of the Yard.

Reaction Score
Living young and dumb, I was frequently inebriated during that 89-90 season, and I swore that Nadav had a second set of eyes in the back of his skull, as well as 4 arms. Still not sure if it was the liquor and Yuengling beer influencing my vision, or if Nadav was actually a one year visitor from another planet

Reaction Score
I think Cam is enjoying himself this year. Got the heart of a lion. Who is chirping more. Him or Danny??jk

Never questioned his shot making ability but was mildly concerned -earlier in year- About his ability to get his shot when he needed it vs BE athletic guards.. With our passing/schemes/PnR action. Not worried anymore.

Reaction Score
IMG_3485.jpeg

Reaction Score
Living young and dumb, I was frequently inebriated during that 89-90 season, and I swore that Nadav had a second set of eyes in the back of his skull, as well as 4 arms. Still not sure if it was the liquor and Yuengling beer influencing my vision, or if Nadav was actually a one year visitor from another planet
Dav's court vision was at another level. Point forward who could lead the break.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He may be the smartest, craftiest player I've seen at UConn! He knows how to adjust his shot to get it off without being blocked' it might be a turn around 360, maybe he puts it up against the backboard. That rebound time-out was yet another fantastic play from him. How lucky we were to get him instead of Kansas Nick.
Maybe since Doron...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Joey, to me, don’t care if he was a 1 year player - he‘s a lifetime husky in my book.
He made a couple all-time highlight reel plays, for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom