Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
Don’t want to think about what our record would be without him. I thought he was going to be a nice role player, not our best player. That late steal was such a critical play, which he continues to make.

Reaction Score
Don’t want to think about what our record would be without him. I thought he was going to be a nice role player, not our best player. That late steal was such a critical play, which he continues to make.
I caught a decent chunk of the Kansas/UCF game and came away afraid of where this team would have been if we had ended up with Timberlake instead of Cam.

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed that Cam's release looks quicker than it did at Rutgers and even when he first suited up for UConn? I used to think he needed a little time and space to get his shot off. Now he's just rising up on people and hitting threes with what looks to be a quicker release.

Reaction Score
Appreciate Cam's nose for the ball on D/Boards/50-50 balls. Not the most athletic guy on the court but is consistently changing outcome of games with his hustle and BBIQ. His offense speaks for itself. Excellent two way player

Reaction Score
Even though Cam does get beat on on D sometimes- he always seems to come up with a couple big steals or strips or picks. guys just a game flat out gamer , u could make the argument We have four players in the running for first team all big east. Tristan , cam, Karaban DC

Reaction Score
Even though Cam does get beat on on D sometimes- he always seems to come up with a couple big steals or strips or picks. guys just a game flat out gamer , u could make the argument We have four players in the running for first team all big east. Tristan , cam, Karaban DC
It's amazing a kid like him only gets a Loyola offer out of high school and he probably only got that because of his brother and he's local.

Poe

Reaction Score
Wish we had him for 4 years. Closest player we’ve had to Shabazz in the last decade.

Reaction Score
1000009968.jpg

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
That sequence where Cam got the rebound called TO then banged that 3 silencing that building was ball game, know there was time still but for all intents and purposes it was over went from a 4 pt game with plenty of time to 7 where you could afford to trade baskets.

I know we won’t get the whole story of Timberlake but I do wonder if Hurley had 2nd thoughts of getting him, remember we didn’t hear too much of getting Cam from what I remember, Timberlake seemed like a huge smoke scream.
I think we only got Cam because we struck out on Timberlake and Cam fell in our lap. I’d be interested to know who Cam was considering and when we offered him. Obviously it worked out fantastic for us with Cam coming here and Timberlake not coming here.
Timberlake played 2 minutes last night and contributed nothing against Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
I think we only got Cam because we struck out on Timberlake and Cam fell in our lap. I’d be interested to know who Cam was considering and when we offered him. Obviously it worked out fantastic for us with Cam coming here and Timberlake not coming here.
Timberlake played 2 minutes last night and contributed nothing against Cincinnati.
I read an article where Mick Cronin at UCLA was complaining about his losses and inexperienced roster, and I believe he complained about lack of NL support. He suggested lack of success in the portal, and Cam was mentioned.

Reaction Score
Timberlake has scored double figures exactly one time each month this season. Averaging 4 points, 1 rebound, 0.5 assists on 38% FG and 28% 3P

Cam Spencer has scored double figures in all but 3 games this season. Averaging 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists on 49% FG and 45% 3P

Cam Spencer Appreciation Post.

Reaction Score
Per the LA Times article 'I want it to be my last job.' Mick Cronin says he's committed to UCLA despite adversity

“Nobody has put in more effort than me on the Men of Westwood,” Cronin said, referring to the team’s primary NIL collective. “But I’m not into effort; I’m into getting the job done. So I’ve got to work harder. But the people who have helped, I greatly appreciate them.”

The Bruins were in the running for Rutgers sharpshooter Cam Spencer (now making 46.8% of his three-pointers and averaging 15.5 points for Connecticut) and …”

Reaction Score
He's yet another proof of Hurley's skill in using the portal.
And it shows that like all else in life a little luck helps too. I can’t imagine how this team would look if Kansas didn’t outbid us for Timberlake.

Reaction Score
Per the LA Times article 'I want it to be my last job.' Mick Cronin says he's committed to UCLA despite adversity

“Nobody has put in more effort than me on the Men of Westwood,” Cronin said, referring to the team’s primary NIL collective. “But I’m not into effort; I’m into getting the job done. So I’ve got to work harder. But the people who have helped, I greatly appreciate them.”

The Bruins were in the running for Rutgers sharpshooter Cam Spencer (now making 46.8% of his three-pointers and averaging 15.5 points for Connecticut) and …”

I'm curious how this will all play out with NIL. I'd be pretty pissed if I was the (or part of a group of) donor who gave this kid 250k and a Hellcat lease to provide the same value a D2 benchwarmer would have.

Reaction Score
Cam is a better offensive player here than Hawkins was here. Teams had to focus more on Hawk but Cam is a better dribbler, passer, and even a better open shooter than Hawk. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with more offensive skill and craft to his game.
Total balderdash to say Cam lacks in athleticism. No way. The guy utilizes great court smarts with excellent game management skills. Watch him dribble so he can pick up a screen, it's the mark of high skills. Sorry, folks. Cam is an outstanding athlete. Athleticism is but one part of all around gamesman abilities. This is one fine athlete who has buoyed our hopes for a second championship back to back. Onward, Cam!

Reaction Score
Total balderdash to say Cam lacks in athleticism. No way. The guy utilizes great court smarts with excellent game management skills. Watch him dribble so he can pick up a screen, it's the mark of high skills. Sorry, folks. Cam is an outstanding athlete. Athleticism is but one part of all around gamesman abilities. This is one fine athlete who has buoyed our hopes for a second championship back to back. Onward, Cam!
I feel like you’re getting either very pedantic or just misrepresenting the statement here. By athleticism, it was clearly meant his speed/quickness/leaping ability. If he were outstanding at those, he would currently be in the NBA. He’s not but he’s so wildly skilled that he is still a phenomenal college player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed that Cam's release looks quicker than it did at Rutgers and even when he first suited up for UConn? I used to think he needed a little time and space to get his shot off. Now he's just rising up on people and hitting threes with what looks to be a quicker release.
He's not even squaring up all the time. Took a few when he was essentially sideways to the rim. He's a crafty player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I feel like you’re getting either very pedantic or just misrepresenting the statement here. By athleticism, it was clearly meant his speed/quickness/leaping ability. If he were outstanding at those, he would currently be in the NBA. He’s not but he’s so wildly skilled that he is still a phenomenal college player.
He's certainly not in the top percentile in speed and leaping ability. But his quickness with his ability to change on a dime driving to the lane and realizing how to handle the situation is second to none. So not necessarily physically quick but certainly mentally quick. Which supports what you are saying but a subtle distinction.

We have two very high IQ players in Cam and Alex which is why we can run complex offensive sets. You have two very good facilitators in Tristen and Donovan who can follow the movements of Cam and Alex to determine the best play. Hassan has developed to be almost as good in facilitating. The big question mark is Stephon. He's still a tad slow in breaking down offense to contribute to the same extent as Cam, Alex, Donovan, Tristen and Hassan. But he's well ahead of Solo, Jaylen and Samson.

Reaction Score
This is an amazing BY post. Basically ignoring exactly what you understood the poster to mean by athleticism. To then write a paragraph agreeing with him, while saying you disagree

Reaction Score
Was Cam ever in the mix for Kansas? The posts in their board imply that he was (and that they could have had him if they wanted), but I thought I recall that Cam wasn't in the portal until after KU got Timberlake anyway. Or am I mistaken on that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom