Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I do not like comparisons of guys who are or have been hugely important to the success of UConn basketball at any point over the last 35 years. Cam has quickly become a hugely important piece to this current team. Obviously he is a better choice than Timberlake, and we have probably won at least 2 more games this year, including last night, because of his play.

That having been said... time to step in and bring some reality to this. I was doing games on WHUS during the '89-90 season, Henefeld's only year as a Husky. And this is a ridiculously wrong take.

Making a comment like this discounts the fact that Nadav Henefeld may have had the single most important impact that any one-year player has ever had on our program. And the single most important lineup change that has ever been made... inserting Nadav into the starting lineup after we started 0-2 in the Big East that year - including a 31-point blow out at St. John's. If you had told anyone after that game what would happen over the next 3 months they would have told you that you were absolutely crazy. And no one... NO ONE... on that team had more to do with that than Nadav Henefeld. His insertion into the starting 5 made everyone better, and helped build us into what we became that year, and beyond.

And the game that frankly changed everything for the future trajectory of our entire program was that Saturday night, January 20th game against the Georgetown Hoyas (ranked #2 and going to be #1 the following Monday after #1 Kansas lost earlier that day)... and Nadav was THE reason we won that game. He was nothing short of spectacular in the 2nd half. He was the reason we finally started to believe in ourselves that year.

As good as Cam is, there is no way he could have done what Nadav did against THAT Georgetown team of John Thompson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Dwayne Bryant and their group of intimidators that night.

Cam did it against a bunch of good D1 ballplayers... Nadav did it against a #2 team in the country, highlighted by 2 future NBA All-Stars. No comparison.

So sorry, but no. Just, NO.

The answer is without question, I agree with that part... but the obviously correct answer is Nadav Henefeld.
I respect your opinion. It’s an opinion.

Statistically, so far, he’s better than both overall in their best seasons. And take Cam out of every game. Imagine we didn’t get him. Who takes his minutes? Solo and Jaylin?

He’s our MVP. We lost Sanogo, Hawkins and Andre and this kid has us #4 in the nation when Clingan has been on the shelf all year and Alex has struggled. It’s easy to be romantic looking back at good players on good teams. Don’t undersell what this kid is doing in spite of that.

Reaction Score
Can't cheat on him on defense as he can knock down the 3 consistently. This opens up the middle/paint for UConn to run their offense. This is huge, especially with DC out.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. It’s an opinion.

Statistically, so far, he’s better than both overall in their best seasons. And take Cam out of every game. Imagine we didn’t get him. Who takes his minutes? Solo and Jaylin?

He’s our MVP. We lost Sanogo, Hawkins and Andre and this kid has us #4 in the nation when Clingan has been on the shelf all year and Alex has struggled. It’s easy to be romantic looking back at good players on good teams. Don’t undersell what this kid is doing in spite of that.

I believe using Nadav and Doron in comparison is spot on. Almost tough to compare just like mine with Hawk. I mean Nadav was a 6’7 Point Forward who did a lot of the same as Cam minus the great shooting. Rebounded it well too and his ability to anticipate on D was second to none. Doron was very similar although I think a bit more of a PG. But bball IQs off the charts, athletically challenged but will methodically outsmart you.

All great Huskies although we only get 2 of them for one year in Storrs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cam is a very good shooter and is usually opportunistic with his 3's. He definitely has a very high BBIQ. He is a below average defender and average ball handler.
He was most likely the best option for DH to bring in as far as a deep shooting threat is concerned and UConn is fortunate to have him.
I do not like to compare players.
Spencer is good for this team.
Not sure when he would have had such a level of success with past UConn teams
As far as taking Cam out of every game so far this year or if UConn didn't get him at all, that's something you can play with most any starter on any team , You'd be crazy to think that DH and staff would not have scooped up somebody who may offer a different skill set that would have as positive an impact.
What if UConn didn't have DC last season? We could play this what if game forever.
I appreciate Cam for what he does well and what he brings to this team

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. He has come in and become the leader on the defending national champs.

And he’s better than both Sheffer and Henefeld. Without question.
Maybe we should ask Steve Pikiel as he played with Nadav and coached Spencer.

I think it's hard to compare players who play different positions in different eras with different roles on their team. Nadav was a season changing player as his steals and vision changed how the team played. Some of you may forget, but UConn averaged over 13 steals per game that year which would lead the NCAA this year. And, college basketball and the Big East was much tougher back then as players stayed in college. That year, Syracuse had a senior Derrick Coleman and Georgetown had sophomore Alonzo Mourning and junior Dikembe Mutombo. No way any of them last past freshmen year now. Now they were rim protectors!

Spencer has been the missing piece for this team as his all around game was needed. What I find surprising is that his stats are almost identical to his stats last year at Rutgers, but he seems to have more impact on UConn.

Both Nadav and Spencer were/are major contributors on very good teams and I think it's foolish to say one is better than the other.

Reaction Score
These threads have become impossible to read. You must be responding to posts I can't see. I don't see any posts in the thread comparing Cam this season to a hypothetical junior year Hawkins.
The default "ignore" state really should indicate when someone is being ignored. Just something like [ignored content] instead of the actual message and handle. Then you at least can tell that there was something there someone was responding to. If people wanted more than that, then the current system of showing nothing at all could also be an option.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. He has come in and become the leader on the defending national champs.

And he’s better than both Sheffer and Henefeld. Without question.
I was with you until you said better. Henefeld played against Alonzo Mourning and some real good BE teams. As good yes but better not sure.

Reaction Score
I love Cam, great player and ferocious on the court. He's a combination of Joey California and Billy Martin.

But Nadav played basketball at another level. He made everyone on the court better on both ends. His comp is a poor man's Larry Bird. His UConn career ended 34 years ago so it's a good bet many on this site never saw him play. Henefeld was one of the most important players in UConn history. An very solid argument can be made that he had a larger impact on the program than any player to ever don a Huskies uniform.

Period. The end.

Reaction Score
I love Cam, great player and ferocious on the court. He's a combination of Joey California and Billy Martin.

But Nadav played basketball at another level. He made everyone on the court better on both ends. His comp is a poor man's Larry Bird. His UConn career ended 34 years ago so it's a good bet many on this site never saw him play. Henefeld was one of the most important players in UConn history. An very solid argument can be made that he had a larger impact on the program than any player to ever don a Huskies uniform.

Period. The end.

Nadav averaged 11.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists in his one year at UConn. He shot 54% from the field, 37% from 3 and 75% from the line. He also averaged 3.7 steals per game and 2.3 turnovers.

Spencer is averaging 15.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.3 assists on 50% shooting from the field, 44% from 3 and 89% from the free throw line. He is also averaging 1.3 steals and 1.3 turnovers.

Nadav was great, no doubt about it. But if the game is on the line and you need someone to hit a big shot, Spencer is that guy on this year's team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nadav averaged 11.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists in his one year at UConn. He shot 54% from the field, 37% from 3 and 75% from the line. He also averaged 3.7 steals per game and 2.3 turnovers.

Spencer is averaging 15.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.3 assists on 50% shooting from the field, 44% from 3 and 89% from the free throw line. He is also averaging 1.3 steals and 1.3 turnovers.

Nadav was great, no doubt about it. But if the game is on the line and you need someone to hit a big shot, Spencer is that guy on this year's team.

Reaction Score

Nadav made the UConn all century team. Played one year. Made the all century team.

He was Big East Conference Rookie of the Year

He set the all time National Collegiate Athletic Association freshman record with 138 steals. He averaged 3.7 steals a game not 1.3, a UConn single season record.

Not that it takes anything away from how excellent Cam has played this year. But this is a crazy debate. Without Nadav, there is no "Dream Season." He was the missing piece that changed the team when inserted into the starting line up. He was a game changer in the smallest and largest sense. And this is all before we talk about the intangibles he brought to the team.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Nadav was a great, great player for UConn and Cam could never match his impact on the school or program. But basketball is a team game, and there are teams where Cam would add more than Nadav, likewise there are other teams Nadav would add more than Cam. The Dream Season team was a team on which Nadav fit perfectly; this year's team would have a big hole without Cam. Happy to be a fan of both.

Reaction Score
Love Killa Cam —-not saying he’s better than Sheffer or henefeld just yet, but he’s definitely creeping into the conversation to make it debatable. However, Henefeld was a program changer going to be hard to top that.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He is an awesome addition and love his attitude and how he gives it back to the other team

Reaction Score
Crazier take by you. His minutes down lol. What are you watching my God? I can’t imagine anyone wanting his minutes down. I like Solo Ball but thinking we need to let him improve instead of keeping a really impactful player in the game is bizarre :rolleyes:
Cam played 36 minutes vs Butler, it'd be silly to say he should have played less in that game but overall I said specifically "I'd like to see his minutes come down a BIT" = I'd say 32-34 minutes a game. I don't think that's CRAZY.
Certainly not crazier than trading him for Jordan Hawkins - but to double check why don't you call the Pelicans & offer that one up?

Last 6 games: 36 (Butler), 32 (DePaul), 36 (St J), 31 (Seton Hall-fouled out), 35 (Gonzaga), skip UAPB, 36 (UNC), 36 (KU
So CAM is playing 36 minutes in meaningful games.
I think it should be 32-34 and we should have options when he's having a bad game. Certain athletic matchups may be tougher for him. The Hall was abusing him on defense. He was hurt v Kansas but also couldn't handle athleticism there (partially due to injury, but seemed like Hurley had no choice but to throw hobbled Cam to wolves). Long-term upside wise, Castle & Solo Ball offer more athleticism.

Lastly, hopefully the Butler game rights the ship, b/c Cam's home/road splits were terrible in just 2 road games prior (even tho hurt at KU shot 2-12, he was worse at SHall 2-7, fouled out & I had to sit thru it live) and worth monitoring although the sample size is still wayyy too small.
Home: 17pts, 56.5%FG, 52.5%3PTers, 3.9R, 3.6A, 1.3st, 1.3TO
Road(these include 3 neutral court games): 12.3pts, 40%FG, 30.6%3PTers, 4.0R, 2.8A, 1.2st, 1.2TO

Reaction Score
Cam played 36 minutes vs Butler, it'd be silly to say he should have played less in that game but overall I said specifically "I'd like to see his minutes come down a BIT" = I'd say 32-34 minutes a game. I don't think that's CRAZY.
Certainly not crazier than trading him for Jordan Hawkins - but to double check why don't you call the Pelicans & offer that one up?

Last 6 games: 36 (Butler), 32 (DePaul), 36 (St J), 31 (Seton Hall-fouled out), 35 (Gonzaga), skip UAPB, 36 (UNC), 36 (KU
So CAM is playing 36 minutes in meaningful games.
I think it should be 32-34 and we should have options when he's having a bad game. Certain athletic matchups may be tougher for him. The Hall was abusing him on defense. He was hurt v Kansas but also couldn't handle athleticism there (partially due to injury, but seemed like Hurley had no choice but to throw hobbled Cam to wolves). Long-term upside wise, Castle & Solo Ball offer more athleticism.

Lastly, hopefully the Butler game rights the ship, b/c Cam's home/road splits were terrible in just 2 road games prior (even tho hurt at KU shot 2-12, he was worse at SHall 2-7, fouled out & I had to sit thru it live) and worth monitoring although the sample size is still wayyy too small.
Home: 17pts, 56.5%FG, 52.5%3PTers, 3.9R, 3.6A, 1.3st, 1.3TO
Road(these include 3 neutral court games): 12.3pts, 40%FG, 30.6%3PTers, 4.0R, 2.8A, 1.2st, 1.2TO

I don’t need to call the Pelicans I did admit he may never be a pro in case you didn’t read or suddenly can’t. He’s a real good college player and does a lot of things better than Jordan did. And your stats are hilarious as you are sure to use his bad games lol. Would you like me to waste my time finding the many bad shooting games Jordan had or the first halves he didn’t show up to? I mean c’mon deacon get better. And let’s be honest here there may be times the option of Castle is better but he he also needs to be taking minutes as a 3/4 so is he playing 40 soon? And Ball, love his potential and he will be good but he hasn’t proven that his athleticism helps him find his own shot as much as Cam nor can we trust his handle, passing or foul shooting as much as Cams. And the KU game, let’s just call that a thank you for having the balls to play the minutes he did on 2 hurting feet.

Your numbers don’t change my mind but feel free to keep trying!

Reaction Score
I don’t need to call the Pelicans I did admit he may never be a pro in case you didn’t read or suddenly can’t. He’s a real good college player and does a lot of things better than Jordan did. And your stats are hilarious as you are sure to use his bad games lol. Would you like me to waste my time finding the many bad shooting games Jordan had or the first halves he didn’t show up to? I mean c’mon deacon get better. And let’s be honest here there may be times the option of Castle is better but he he also needs to be taking minutes as a 3/4 so is he playing 40 soon? And Ball, love his potential and he will be good but he hasn’t proven that his athleticism helps him find his own shot as much as Cam nor can we trust his handle, passing or foul shooting as much as Cams. And the KU game, let’s just call that a thank you for having the balls to play the minutes he did on 2 hurting feet.

Your numbers don’t change my mind but feel free to keep trying!
To sum up, Great player, not Jordan Hawkins was concerned about his road game performances until Butler. That’s it.

Reaction Score
Cam (aka Rec League Kid or RLK) is a great player who has been awesome for us.

People have to stop blowing out other players candles to make Cam shine brighter. It's not fair to anyone.

Reaction Score
Right player at the right time. Just like Joey C, Tristen, Alleyne and Diarra. What is the common denominator? UConn basketball coaching staff. Time will judge their place in the pantheon of UConn greats.

Reaction Score
Cam (aka Rec League Kid or RLK) is a great player who has been awesome for us.

People have to stop blowing out other players candles to make Cam shine brighter. It's not fair to anyone.

I don’t see anywhere anyone blew out another Huskys candle? No one compared players at all just timing for the team. Both real good Huskys for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom