Cam Reddish Announcing Tonight | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cam Reddish Announcing Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone or almost everyone was cheating back in the day. I know for a fact that an extremely highly recruited kid who eventually signed with Pitt back in the 80's, was paid $60,000 during his freshman year alone.

Yeah but in the 60's-70's when Wooden was getting Sams cash from his car dealership, there were only a few teams capable of playing for the NC. It was basically like Geno and the womens team although there's probably more parity in the womens now than there was back then for the men. And some really good teams won the NIT the same years as Woodens teams did because it was still thought to be a major championship. Reality is more than likely none of those NIT champions would have beaten the mighty Bruins but it was still part of the picture.

Listen Woodens theories and concepts are tremendous, he's certainly one of the best ever and potentially THE best. But the players he had were all pros and he had them for 4 years, different world now by far and some of these coaches have done some amazing things especially ours in JC. Not saying he's Wooden, Dean Smith but he has to be in the same discussion because he never consistently got the players they did. Oh yeah my bad, why would we discuss Dean Smith with JC? LOL

Reaction Score
Yes, most likely one and done and he wants to win, but that's not the reason he chose Duke over Uconn. He chose Duke because he wants to play against North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wake Forest, FSU, Michigan State, Clemson, Kansas, Pittsburgh, etc....not SMU, Tulane, South Florida, Houston, Tulsa, East Carolina and Navy. He above all wants to play against kids he'll meet at the next level, not against kids playing for Turkey. Our conference affiliation kills us in men's basketball recruiting every time, and that's not even considering the negative impact from last season and all the fire Ollie stuff. Even though I'm against Uconn basketball heading to the Big East, I have to admit if we were in that conference there's a very good chance Reddish would have chosen Uconn, but in the AAC, forget it.

Totally agree....I am in the group that thinks unrealistic football dreams and conference realignment prayers are killing UConn hoops. The AAC isn't as bad as people say. But, it seems that its perception is. And that is all that really counts .

Reaction Score
Totally agree....I am in the group that thinks unrealistic football dreams and conference realignment prayers are killing UConn hoops. The AAC isn't as bad as people say. But, it seems that its perception is. And that is all that really counts .
I'm just as big a football fan too, and gotta say football has to succeed in Storrs or the entire School (including men's and women's basketball) will be hurt immeasurably in the long run. The Big East is not the answer for Uconn Athletics, though in I will admit in the short term men's basketball would certainly breath new life in Big East, but it won't last.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yeah but in the 60's-70's when Wooden was getting Sams cash from his car dealership, there were only a few teams capable of playing for the NC. It was basically like Geno and the womens team although there's probably more parity in the womens now than there was back then for the men. And some really good teams won the NIT the same years as Woodens teams did because it was still thought to be a major championship. Reality is more than likely none of those NIT champions would have beaten the mighty Bruins but it was still part of the picture.

Listen Woodens theories and concepts are tremendous, he's certainly one of the best ever and potentially THE best. But the players he had were all pros and he had them for 4 years, different world now by far and some of these coaches have done some amazing things especially ours in JC. Not saying he's Wooden, Dean Smith but he has to be in the same discussion because he never consistently got the players they did. Oh yeah my bad, why would we discuss Dean Smith with JC? LOL

Weren't frosh Ineligble for at least part of woodens time at ucla?

Reaction Score
K has had loaded rosters for virtually his entire tenure at Duke. I think we pay too much attention to which guys were "cheating" when it's besides the point - basketball coaches are basketball coaches. Most of recruiting has nothing to do with basketball. Yes, it is a part of coaching, but if we're going to make this an ethics debate then I think we're mostly wasting our time.

K might well be the greatest of all-time, but to make his case you'd have to argue against guys like Wooden and Calhoun and that logic would be contradictory at times. There's never really going to be a one-size-fits-all formula.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
K has had loaded rosters for virtually his entire tenure at Duke. I think we pay too much attention to which guys were "cheating" when it's besides the point - basketball coaches are basketball coaches. Most of recruiting has nothing to do with basketball. Yes, it is a part of coaching, but if we're going to make this an ethics debate then I think we're mostly wasting our time.

K might well be the greatest of all-time, but to make his case you'd have to argue against guys like Wooden and Calhoun and that logic would be contradictory at times. There's never really going to be a one-size-fits-all formula.

Yes, there's this fake narrative that K built Duke like Jc built uconn. Duke had been to final fours before and I beleive the seniors on K's first Duke team were on the team that made the national title game previously.

JC is probably going to be underrated because of his path. Hell be compared straight up vs trying to account for building something from basically nothing. Who else has done what Jc did? What would even be the modern day equivalent? Vermont to the big east and winning titles?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Calhoun is amazing and did the best building job ever in college basketball but this is the only place you will see it argued that he is the best coach ever. He's top 5 for sure, anyone who argues against that anywhere is either clueless or let's hatred blind them.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is amazing and did the best building job ever in college basketball but this is the only place you will see it argued that he is the best coach ever. He's top 5 for sure, anyone who argues against that anywhere is either clueless or let's hatred blind them.

This ^ simply put he did the the unthinkable in Storrs CT and did it 3X. That alone puts him in the conversation but doesn't mean he's the best coach ever. Top 5 is fair and most would agree, although many do not like the man most of them because he did it his way. When you think Wooden and K along with so many others the fact we had a guy who can even be mentioned in the same breath makes us really lucky college basketball fans doesn't it? Amazing stuff.

pj

Reaction Score
This ^ simply put he did the the unthinkable in Storrs CT and did it 3X. That alone puts him in the conversation but doesn't mean he's the best coach ever. Top 5 is fair and most would agree, although many do not like the man most of them because he did it his way. When you think Wooden and K along with so many others the fact we had a guy who can even be mentioned in the same breath makes us really lucky college basketball fans doesn't it? Amazing stuff.

I'll just say, the coaches who were more successful than JC were figuratively speaking born with silver spoons in their mouths, he had to reach the top the hard way. JC had his weaknesses and was not the "perfect" coach, but no one is; and he had strengths that reached a pinnacle no other coach has reached. I don't think we need to identify a greatest coach of all time, it's impossible; but it's very reasonable to acclaim JC as the one we love best.

Reaction Score
He's an excellent coach no doubt but I don't think he's the best. Most decorated probably (besides Wooden) but that'll happen when you have ESPN pushing you, endorsement deals that are basically recruiting videos for dook, you rarely have to play any true road games until conference play, you're pretty much guaranteed to have the conference tournament (and probably a regional) right in your back yard and you consistently get overseeded and given favorable draws even when you haven't earned them.

Reaction Score
He's an excellent coach no doubt but I don't think he's the best. Most decorated probably (besides Wooden) but that'll happen when you have ESPN pushing you, endorsement deals that are basically recruiting videos for dook, you rarely have to play any true road games until conference play, you're pretty much guaranteed to have the conference tournament (and probably a regional) right in your back yard and you consistently get overseeded and given favorable draws even when you haven't earned them.

People would call this whining but there is nothing here that is not a true statement. The fact the NCAA allowed the AMEX commercial is all you need to know where he/they stand in their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom