Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah I too wish we had never won #4 under KO put too much pressure on our fans!:eek:

1st off that is a real left field response.

Ollie had ZERO ...yes zero head coaching experience and only an ast for a few years.

If i was going to debate you on something i did not say. I would go withthr idea that those where calhouns players and Cream could have won a title with that team..

Reaction Score

Ollie had ZERO ...yes zero head coaching experience and only an ast for a few years.

If i was going to debate you on something i did not say. I would go withthr idea that those where calhouns players and Cream could have won a title with that team..

Well then don't debate because you would lose 99. They were only his players on paper, they did get much better and more cohesive playing under KO.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Who is Cream?
Also, are people really of the opinion that 2014 was some juggernaut that any old loser could have won a title with? That's an odd view.

Reaction Score
Well then don't debate because you would lose 99. They were only his players on paper, they did get much better and more cohesive playing under KO.

Deal...

Reaction Score
Who is Cream?
Also, are people really of the opinion that 2014 was some juggernaut that any old loser could have won a title with? That's an odd view.

Auto correct for crean old Indiana coach. Trying to be funny

Reaction Score

99 your my guy, i mean really you seem like a cool guy. But this take is disappointing. From ppl outside the program id expect it. But from a fan who saw these kids blossom and expand their games under KO, who pointed to him as the reason they even stayed. For a fan who saw that to use the it was calhoun's players and any average coach could have won with that team is preposterous. There was not 1 MDAA on that team. That talent was nurtured and realized by and through KO. So to turn around and say he never should have been head coach because of a couple mediocre yrs is to also say jay wright shouldnt have been a coach, jamie dixon shouldnt have been a coach, frank martin shouldnt have been a coach, etc. This list is immeasurable with the amount of elite coaches who had rough patches during their careers but are now viewed as savants. Ollie has his flaws and has his work cut out for him. He is not immune to criticism. But lets leave the unfair false narratives to ppl who dont know the truth...

Reaction Score
Who is Cream?
No but it's starting to look more and more like lighning in a bottle with Ollie's running of the program in subsequent seasons. I give Ollie all the credit in the world for the run in '14 but Benedict isn't going to sit idly by if coach has another awful season.

Reaction Score
No but it's starting to look more and more like lighning in a bottle with Ollie's running of the program in subsequent seasons. I give Ollie all the credit in the world for the run in '14 but Benedict isn't going to sit idly by if coach has another awful season.
Benedict shouldnt wait. But call lightning in a bottle or whatever you want to call it, Ollie proved he could coach. Ollie has also proved he can recruit(by the #'s). Those are the two pillars of a good college head coach. Ollie has all the tools he just needs to be sharpened. If we get rid of a young, promising, national champion head coach we better bring in a star. I mean a proven winner

Reaction Score
99 your my guy, i mean really you seem like a cool guy. But this take is disappointing. From ppl outside the program id expect it. But from a fan who saw these kids blossom and expand their games under KO, who pointed to him as the reason they even stayed. For a fan who saw that to use the it was calhoun's players and any average coach could have won with that team is preposterous. There was not 1 MDAA on that team. That talent was nurtured and realized by and through KO. So to turn around and say he never should have been head coach because of a couple mediocre yrs is to also say jay wright shouldnt have been a coach, jamie dixon shouldnt have been a coach, frank martin shouldnt have been a coach, etc. This list is immeasurable with the amount of elite coaches who had rough patches during their careers but are now viewed as savants. Ollie has his flaws and has his work cut out for him. He is not immune to criticism. But lets leave the unfair false narratives to ppl who dont know the truth...

I respect that your point of view. Ollie did coach those kids up.

My head coach list for uconn was mark few, Stevens, shaka (he looking back is not great) and my dream pick was miller from zona . I wanted a coach with experience as a head coach. Ollie is learning on the job. Uconn should not be your 1st head job. I have more respect for the program.

Reaction Score

My head coach list for UConn was mark few, Stevens, shaka (he looking back is not great) and my dream pick was miller from zona . I wanted a coach with experience as a head coach. Ollie is learning on the job. UConn should not be your 1st head job. I have more respect for the program.
I can respect that. If we did get rid of ollie few would be my choice. He's fantastic

Reaction Score
I don't think people understand what "positionless" basketball is. It's not taking a guard and playing him at the five. It's taking a position and rotating it interchangeably between guys who can play all five positions.

Unless we're cloning LeBron and Giannis, it's not going to work. You're best hope is to find guys who function at their position in a way that complements the other players on the roster. There is a difference between playing small and playing positionless. Playing small is what Oregon does when they play Brooks at the four and Bell at the five. The only college team I've ever seen in my lifetime capable of playing something resembling positionless basketball is '15 Kentucky.

Its a flawed system and a terrible strategy. Especially at the level we are recruiting at right now. It can work for KY when they have a roster full of long athletic monsters like Fox, Monk, Gabriel, Willis etc.

Its no surprise that our player development has been so lacking. Steve Enoch is never going to be able to rotate interchangeably with a 3. Freshman version of Vance Jackson is incapable of interchanging with the 2.

Each of them had a limited set of skills; they weren't capable of doing a lot of things. How about trying to build off of these limited things first before expanding what you ask of them?

We could sort of run this "positionless" system when we had DD, Niels, and Kromah who all had diverse skill sets and were capable of doing a variety of things.

Coaching is identifying what your players are good at and then putting them in position to succeed. You need to build off what the player is good at first. When they get proficient/reliable at that, then you can give them additional responsibilities. Eventually, maybe you can have "position-less" basketball.

But KO cant design a system that forces the players to do things they're not capable of and then supposedly run them out of town when they unsurprisingly don't do it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you're going to argue that Ollie won with a loaded roster, please turn over your posts from the fall of 2012 identifying those players as championship caliber.

Until then, we will wonder if you were even alive back then.

Reaction Score
First next year has not happened so we will wait to see. But how is it controversial that a program of our prestige would provide job security to anyone being paid $3.1 million a year, if they were to miss the tournament three of four years? Not to mention, a losing season. We're all praying, at least I am, that there is a big turn around next season but we can't pretend it's controversial to assume someone's job might be on the line with performing middle of the pack in this conference missing the tournament year after year

Reaction Score
Its a flawed system and a terrible strategy. Especially at the level we are recruiting at right now. It can work for KY when they have a roster full of long athletic monsters like Fox, Monk, Gabriel, Willis etc.

Its no surprise that our player development has been so lacking. Steve Enoch is never going to be able to rotate interchangeably with a 3. Freshman version of Vance Jackson is incapable of interchanging with the 2.

Each of them had a limited set of skills; they weren't capable of doing a lot of things. How about trying to build off of these limited things first before expanding what you ask of them?

We could sort of run this "positionless" system when we had DD, Niels, and Kromah who all had diverse skill sets and were capable of doing a variety of things.

Coaching is identifying what your players are good at and then putting them in position to succeed. You need to build off what the player is good at first. When they get proficient/reliable at that, then you can give them additional responsibilities. Eventually, maybe you can have "position-less" basketball.

But KO cant design a system that forces the players to do things they're not capable of and then supposedly run them out of town when they unsurprisingly don't do it.
I agree. If you need a Swiss army knife to run your system you better recruit them. If you can't, then change your system.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

My head coach list for UConn was mark few, Stevens, shaka (he looking back is not great) and my dream pick was miller from zona . I wanted a coach with experience as a head coach. Ollie is learning on the job. UConn should not be your 1st head job. I have more respect for the program.

None of those guys would have come to UCONN. Maaaaybe Shaka. But he had to know better jobs were on the horizon.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
First next year has not happened so we will wait to see. But how is it controversial that a program of our prestige would provide job security to anyone being paid $3.1 million a year, if they were to miss the tournament three of four years? Not to mention, a losing season. We're all praying, at least I am, that there is a big turn around next season but we can't pretend it's controversial to assume someone's job might be on the line with performing middle of the pack in this conference missing the tournament year after year

I don't think the next coach will make as much personally. A lot of that was a NC bump.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree. If you need a Swiss army knife to run your system you better recruit them. If you can't, then change your system.

I agree in a vacuum, but a lot of the guys we didn't have a choice on. Not that particular class mind you. But you didn't know what you were going to get with Enoch. You can't 'design a system' around a guy that raw. Vance is what he is and I'm sure Ollie didn't expect him to get much run last year. Much of last year was a forced hand. I don't expect Ollie to adjust a whole system on the fly, especially as he'd prepared the team totally different going in to the year.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Maybe, but that's not the point that was made. There's every reason to believe we don't win in 2014 without Ollie.

Reaction Score

Idiotic

Few? Shaka? What planet are you on? They ain't coming. I would take another Calhoun; but, I am over 50 and nostalgic for the Old School. Kevin Ollie was a damn good choice following JC. It is OUR culture we must protect. You ... and various others seem to totally be oblivious to how special "UConn Husky" became. How 50 guys and 10 coaches/etc are stakeholders ... and that right there is our future. Miller doesn't get that - Archie or Sean. We could find a New England / New York guy from the MAAC or something; but we swung with this Ollie kid. I see his struggles. But ... I also saw him pull together a team to Win a NC identifying role players and stars and a system: I believe he has it within him to do that again. And unlike whatever 6 you will name, HE sees that as his legacy. That is important.

Reaction Score
I agree in a vacuum, but a lot of the guys we didn't have a choice on. Not that particular class mind you. But you didn't know what you were going to get with Enoch. You can't 'design a system' around a guy that raw. Vance is what he is and I'm sure Ollie didn't expect him to get much run last year. Much of last year was a forced hand. I don't expect Ollie to adjust a whole system on the fly, especially as he'd prepared the team totally different going in to the year.

But it's the head coaches job to get his guys. We haven't run an efficient offense under Ollie yet, with 2014 as the exception - and that wasn't even a great offensive team. If you can't recruit players to fit your system then you have the wrong system.

Reaction Score
I don't think the next coach will make as much personally. A lot of that was a NC bump.
Maybe not, although it really depends on who the hire is. If we landed someone with prestige and a proven record, they're going to demand that type of salary..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom