Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like we are calling. But other top schools are also. He may be the biggest free agent in college ball or near the top

Yup. He's good, immediately eligible, and you get him for twice as long as the typical grad transfer. You'd think just about every non-ACC school will be calling.

Reaction Score
If he comes here with our guards and Larrier, we won't be rebuilding.
Well... I would still want more transfers/recruits for next year in the event of some guys getting injured. Which I think we should do so we dont have another season like 16-17.

Reaction Score
1) He's 6'8 he's a "big". PF is a big and as you saw in the tourney teams can win without an actual 5 anyway so we need "tall guys" who can play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Little-bigs, big-bigs come one come all!!

2) Who's asking him to "restore" a program? Asking him to come play with a solid backcourt and get UConn back to what they are, not restore anything. Restore would be a classic car which has been in a garage for 25 years, we are still UConn. And i doubt this kid, who knows UConn to have won championships as he grew up, is as negative about the program as may of our own fans. As a matter of fact I'm sure he perceives UConn in a better light than many here, not sure you want to hear that though.

Just because he's 6'8'' doesn't mean he's a big man. He's strictly a guard, not a PF. Andrew Wiggins is the same size, plays the same position, and I wouldn't classify him as a big.

Reaction Score
So basically we have no shot at Johnson and are 3rd out of 5th for Harris? And we're recruiting crappy JUCO guards? This is a bit depressing.
No we have a shot. I think we will make his final 6 at least. And then at that point anything is possible

Reaction Score
Yup..

As I wrote last week (and I was ridiculed for it), it is late in the day. April is obscenely late for recruiting.

There are only a handful of players available with many teams looking.

Reaction Score
As I wrote last week (and I was ridiculed for it), it is late in the day. April is obscenely late for recruiting.

There are only a handful of players available with many teams looking.

There are a lot of teams with holes and everybody's trying to fill those holes with a very limited number of players

Most people on this board are

Reaction Score
There are a lot of teams with holes and everybody's trying to fill those holes with a very limited number of players

Most people on this board are

I have a lot of faith in KO but I hope some of this scrambling puts the notion that him bringing in Chill and jettisoning players after some leave of their own accord was part of an elaborate rebuilding strategy to bed. Next year is going to be rough, and the year after isn't projecting to be much better. Strap in

Reaction Score
I have a lot of faith in KO but I hope some of this scrambling puts the notion that him bringing in Chill and jettisoning players after some leave of their own accord was part of an elaborate rebuilding strategy to bed. Next year is going to be rough, and the year after isn't projecting to be much better. Strap in

I do not think ollie will get 2 years if next year is now considerably better.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Are there any other starting options at the 3 or 4 other than Koulechov (who we have no chance at)? I didn't really hear about many. Kanter I guess could. Larrier' versatility is a blessing here but still major minutes are needed in this area.

No offense to MD2, but I would have thought Ollie and Chillious had a lot better than just him mapped out with confidence.

Reaction Score
You are too negative. He just has to show an upward trajectory and a plan that can be expected to continue the upward trajectory.
His comments are reflecting reality, not his own personal negative feelings. You can't miss the tournament three of the last four years and expect job security. Hopefully next season is much better, and we do at least make the tournament

Reaction Score
His comments are reflecting reality, not his own personal negative feelings. You can't miss the tournament three of the last four years and expect job security. Hopefully next season is much better, and we do at least make the tournament
99 info this off season has been solid. Trust me. If he is saying this, than its reality.

Reaction Score
Did we give up in 2011 when we seeded #3? No! Did we give up in 2014 when seeded #7? No! Will we give up on Cam just because we're not in some journalist's top 12 list? No!

Not sure I said that we should give up?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Just because he's 6'8'' doesn't mean he's a big man. He's strictly a guard, not a PF. Andrew Wiggins is the same size, plays the same position, and I wouldn't classify him as a big.

Gotcha but he's still 6'8" and did get 4.5 rebounds so in a smaller lineup....on never mind.

Reaction Score
Gotcha but he's still 6'8" and did get 4.5 rebounds so in a smaller lineup....on never mind.

They had 5 guys between 6'7 and 6'9, he was the 4th best rebounder among them.

The point is, you can ask anyone to guard bigs, but not everyone can do it. I'm not sure it would be smart of us to ask him to do it.

Reaction Score
They had 5 guys between 6'7 and 6'9, he was the 4th best rebounder among them.

The point is, you can ask anyone to guard bigs, but not everyone can do it. I'm not sure it would be smart of us to ask him to do it.

Thats good there's room for improvement. Heck he almost had as many rebounds as our 5 averaged his whole career, who's to say how many he can get when he needs to? I get it his game is more of the 2-3 caliber but we need players who can play big or small. Positionless basketball will be required.

Reaction Score
I don't think people understand what "positionless" basketball is. It's not taking a guard and playing him at the five. It's taking a position and rotating it interchangeably between guys who can play all five positions.

Unless we're cloning LeBron and Giannis, it's not going to work. You're best hope is to find guys who function at their position in a way that complements the other players on the roster. There is a difference between playing small and playing positionless. Playing small is what Oregon does when they play Brooks at the four and Bell at the five. The only college team I've ever seen in my lifetime capable of playing something resembling positionless basketball is '15 Kentucky.

Reaction Score
You are too negative. He just has to show an upward trajectory and a plan that can be expected to continue the upward trajectory.

These are not my opinions. this is what I've heard. The new ad has a very short timeline on success for the basketball program. If ollie can't reach that I've heard he will find someone who can

My opinions is ollie should never been the head coach

Reaction Score
These are not my opinions. this is what I've heard. The new ad has a very short timeline on success for the basketball program. If ollie can't reach that I've heard he will find someone who can

My opinions is ollie should never been the head coach

Yeah I too wish we had never won #4 under KO put too much pressure on our fans!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom