Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cam Johnson officially released from Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the loss of Steve Enoch and Juwan Durham leave a gaping hole?
They were the gaping hole.

I like their potential but they are replaceable.

There would be major question marks in the front court even if those guys had returned, no doubt.

But I think this board would be surprised to learn how generally unproductive freshman are aside from a handful of players. Even high-end four star guys are typically non-entities early in their careers - it takes most guys until their junior year to become consistently productive. Losing four underclassmen - Durham, Jackson, Enoch, and MAL - doesn't sting because of how good they were so much as it sets the whole process back. If we end up replacing them with similarly regarded kids who are a year or two younger, I don't see that as some net positive, especially when we watched this whole season expecting those freshman mistakes to turn into something better a year down the line. Now we're hitting the reset button at a time where we have an all-American point guard ready to win now.

With regards to Durham, it wasn't only me or this board who had a love affair with him. The scouting services kept him in the top 50 even after the second ACL tear, and Ollie raved about his potential like no other prospect he's coached. Even in a year where he was ginger, rusty, and raw, he demonstrated skills that you could project into a system down the line. I suppose, though, that I have a fundamental disagreement with much of this board regarding what a big man is supposed to provide in the modern game. Jordan Bell is 6'7, 190 pounds and he was arguably the best center in the NCAA Tournament. I don't understand how more people don't see, conceptually, after our last two titles, how that type of player - long, rangy, bouncy - at the center position is essential to our success. This isn't 2002. Defenses are sophisticated enough to function at an elite level despite conceding size and bulk at certain positions. Nova had one of the best defenses in the country this year with Kris f ing Jenkins playing center for a lot of the time. This idea that everybody who plays center here needs to look like DeJuan Blair or Jeff Adrien is outdated.

We won't know whether Durham would have changed things or not. There's a good chance he wouldn't have. Ultimately it doesn't matter. It matters that we were counting on him to play a big role on next years team. You can't replace that this late in the game, because it's not just about finding talented guys and recruiting them, it's about identifying the right player.

Reaction Score
I initially heard some connections to kentucky (via calipari) but looked into it and apparently he's just from calipari's hometown and his dad played at Pitt when Cal was an assistant there in late 80s

He would immediately be a net positive on any of the 3 players we lost to transfer. Really hope we reel him in

Reaction Score
I think there are players up Chills sleeve, I think by July we will be happy. I don't think Cam is close as people think. Again I
Think Cal will go after cam and he may end up at KU

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No it wouldn't. I don't care that Durham only averaged 2 points and 2 rebound per game. Losing him completely diminishes the ceiling of next years team in a way that a low-end four star recruit and <20 MPG grad transfer can't undo.

Johnson would be a huge get but he isn't filling the gaping hole we have in the middle and I suspect he will see that and head elsewhere.
If we got Sandro, I'd have to disagree. I know all I saw was high light tapes but of all the players in that above list he's my #1. Put him with any other two and I'm going all scrappy on you guys.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Getting any combination of those three does not offset the loss of players whatsoever. We'd be gaining some ground back, but they'll have to show me on the court before I get as excited as I was for the original guys.

Reaction Score
Would be pretty surprised if we land Johnson or Harris. Think we'll get Diarra though.

Reaction Score
Getting any combination of those three does not offset the loss of players whatsoever. We'd be gaining some ground back, but they'll have to show me on the court before I get as excited as I was for the original guys.
Really? Vance is the only one who showed anything on the court.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Looks like we will be losing to Kentucky for Johnson.

ftfy

Have we beaten UK head-on for a recruit (that they really wanted) in the last 15 years?

Reaction Score
I would love Johnson, but I feel like he is a real long shot for UConn RN, why would a coveted player like him want to walk into the current roster situation in Storrs?

Reaction Score
ftfy

Have we beaten UK head-on for a recruit (that they really wanted) in the last 15 years?
The good news is that Johnson isn't some one and done lock for the NBA. With players like Vanderbilt, Diallo, Alexander, and even PFs like Washington, Gabriel and Killeya-Jones already on board, playing time at the 2 and 3 spots will be much more limited at Kentucky than UConn. And in his senior year, he'll just get recruited over again if he picks UK.

Reaction Score
Time for Ollie to get in the mud and play dirty. Some negative recruiting is needed here. Ollie needs to convince him at UK he'll end up losing his spot to one and dones, amd he'll ride the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom