Cam’s petition for an extra year eligibility denied by NCAA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cam’s petition for an extra year eligibility denied by NCAA

Reaction Score
I fully understand what you are saying and in all candor I have no problem with the ruling.

I am however very curious as to how Alexis Yetna is still playing.
Redshirt in 2017-18, medical redshirt for 2019-20, and then the Covid year in 2020-21 are the 3 extra years to get him to 7. Unfortunately for Cam his medical redshirt and Covid year overlapped. Though I don't think he would have gotten one anyway since his 5 games were at the end of the year and not a season ending injury

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The logic makes sense to me. Covid year kids are essentially given 5 seasons to play. Cam only had 4 due to injury, so giving him another extra season seems reasonable. It was worth a shot.

Reaction Score
Would love to have him back but he's gonna be like 24 years old lol.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA basically has no control over paying players how can they deny them 'The Right to Work" more than 4 years at their college job of basketball?

Reaction Score
This shouldn't come as a surprise. It was a weak case.
Why? If he had a RS year his frosh year he would have gotten his Covid year, wouldn’t he? Just because it happened the same year he get denied? And explain how the kid from Miami is getting a 9th year of eligibility…

Reaction Score
They're not counting the Covid year, that's why he's eligible and playing at UConn this year. This request was asking them to not count that year two times, which was never going to happen
Or that year was a. Medical RS

Reaction Score
Why? If he had a RS year his frosh year he would have gotten his Covid year, wouldn’t he? Just because it happened the same year he get denied? And explain how the kid from Miami is getting a 9th year of eligibility…

I don't know anything about the kid from Miami.

It's pretty simple really. The extra Covid year was for athletes affected by the shutdowns and lack of NCAAT. Cam was already injured and not playing basketball that season. He has no reason to get the extra year; he didn't miss out on anything. He's played his 4 years of college ball. Love the kid, but it's time to move on.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about the kid from Miami.

It's pretty simple really. The extra Covid year was for athletes affected by the shutdowns and lack of NCAAT. Cam was already injured and not playing basketball that season. He has no reason to get the extra year; he didn't miss out on anything. He's played his 4 years of college ball. Love the kid, but it's time to move on.

He missed out on a 5th season that most of those other kids got.

Reaction Score
given his age I'm kinda surprised he wanted another year, he's gonna make money playing basketball next year somewhere

Reaction Score
The inconsistency is annoying but idk if Cam would use his 6th year as he is beginning to show up on top 60s and isn’t getting any younger.

Reaction Score
Or that year was a. Medical RS
Not a medical redshirt, medical redshirt requires a season ending injury and his was an early season injury where he returned and played a few games late

Reaction Score
I don't think there was ever a great shot but I can see the case. He played during that "free covid" year and they're counting it even though he didn't get to play. There are plenty of players who have played 5 full seasons counting the covid year and he did not get the chance to. I'm not surprised they rejected him but if he really wanted to push hard I wouldn't be shocked if they granted it to him.
Appeal that ruling

Reaction Score
If the NCAA basically has no control over paying players how can they deny them 'The Right to Work" more than 4 years at their college job of basketball?
I heard LeBron has eligibility. He could just do it backwards. Play in the NBA. Then once he retires, go back to college and play 4 years there. Unless he decides to leave early to go back to the NBA.

Reaction Score
He missed out on a 5th season that most of those other kids got.

He's playing his 5th season right now just like every other kid that got a Covid waiver. Even if one of those seasons was shorter than he'd like.

If he applied for a medical redshirt for his sophomore year (20-21), he wouldn't have been counted as playing during the Covid year, and wouldn't be eligible for the Covid waiver. That would be like giving Stephon Castle a Covid year... it doesn't make sense because neither of them would have been playing college basketball. Cam claimed a Covid year; that means he was playing basketball.

There is just no solid argument for this other than some appeal to emotion because someone else got to play more. Those arguments only work if you play for Duke or Kansas.

Reaction Score
Not a medical redshirt, medical redshirt requires a season ending injury and his was an early season injury where he returned and played a few games late

I feel like a crazy person, even though I know the decision makes complete sense. Help me out here lol.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's playing his 5th season right now just like every other kid that got a Covid waiver. Even if one of those seasons was shorter than he'd like.

If he applied for a medical redshirt for his sophomore year (20-21), he wouldn't have been counted as playing during the Covid year, and wouldn't be eligible for the Covid waiver. That would be like giving Stephon Castle a Covid year... it doesn't make sense because neither of them would have been playing college basketball. Cam claimed a Covid year; that means he was playing basketball.

There is just no solid argument for this other than some appeal to emotion because someone else got to play more. Those arguments only work if you play for Duke or Kansas.

I get the argument and understand why his appeal was rejected but I disagree that it's an appeal to emotion. If the same exact injury happened a year later he would have played the exact same amount of basketball as now but would likely be eligible next year. A huge chunk of players eligible in that '20-'21 season received five years of eligibility. He only gets four.

My main issue wasn't that you were applying the ruling incorrectly, but that you said "he didn't miss out on anything." He did compared to almost every other kid in his class. My take on the situation is that I get why he pushed for another year and wish he could get it, but he's unlucky because he happened to get hurt during a year where everyone got a free year, whether they got injured or not. It's bad luck, not him looking to steal an extra year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom