Calling BY Golden Hearts and Golden Golden Hearts

Which of you over 70 are:

• Golden Hearts (70-79)

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • Golden Golden Heart (80+)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
At some point before, during, or after this Sunday's game, my father will turn 95. He hasn't embraced technology (in fact, he got hearing aids only this summer), but he's embraced the Boneyard: I check in daily and report to him. He thinks you're smart, funny, knowledgeable, insightful—as good as or better than the best sportswriters—and he particularly enjoys Oldude's post-game summaries. (I myself to try learn from Oldude's tact.) Deepest thanks to all of you for providing what he can't get in print.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Good for you Doggie. Don't rush to join us. Hopefully we'll still be here when you do. Retirement is GREAT. You get paid to stay home and do the things YOU want to do at YOUR leisure. The greatest thing about retirement..........everyday is Saturday. It won't take you long to make that transition. ;)
It took me awhile @Carnac. I retired 2 years ago, and I still get up between 4:30 and 6:00 every morning. This is an entirely different life that I was not use to and actually felt guilty by staying home every day. LOL. Finally use to it, so now I can go to any game I want without worrying about going to work.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It took me awhile @Carnac. I retired 2 years ago, and I still get up between 4:30 and 6:00 every morning. This is an entirely different life that I was not use to and actually felt guilty by staying home every day. LOL. Finally use to it, so now I can go to any game I want without worrying about going to work.
Not going to work every day and suddenly having an abundance of time on your hands is not an overnight adjustment as every new retiree finds out. You turn the page on your life and begin enjoying the fruits of your labor and the last third of your life.

Reaction Score
I am on the cusp of 83! The hardest thing for me is reconciling my self -image with what, alas, is reality! As an example (and a very relevant one), I was in London recently, riding (standing) on a crowded tube, and looking admiringly at a lovely lass who was seated nearby. To my initial delight, she caught my eye, but stood immediately, and offered me her seat! I'm trying to forget about it, but my wife, ever the bearer of a figurative pitcher of cold water, and who, alas, witnessed this encounter, declines to let me! Women!!!
Got me by about a year. Comment about self-image applies here as well, and unfortunately, is all too true.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Many thanks to Donald and HuskyNan for putting this post together. I often wondered how many of us were golden, so far 46 of those of us on the BY have checked in, and most are frequent posters. I am enjoying getting to know a bit more about the posters who brighten my day. Know that I look forward to reading what you have to say and read most posts. Take care and may we all hang in there for a couple more NC's. :cool:

Reaction Score
I want to say how in awe I am of the ’older’ people on this board. They’ve embraced technology (internet, computers, smart phones) and learned to use it. It may not seem like a big deal to those of you who have done it, but I’ve tried more than once to teach my mom and she just couldn’t master it. My hat is off to you.
Some of us helped develop some of that stuff. It's still just a bunch of ones and zeroes. ;)

“Time is an illusion.”― Albert Einstein

Carnac

Reaction Score
Many thanks to Donald and HuskyNan for putting this post together. I often wondered how many of us were golden, so far 46 of those of us on the BY have checked in, and most are frequent posters. I am enjoying getting to know a bit more about the posters who brighten my day. Know that I look forward to reading what you have to say and read most posts. Take care and may we all hang in there for a couple more NC's. :cool:
To be sure, there is a lot of "maturity" here in the yard. Some of us actually know what we're talking about. :eek: I'm talking about my esteemed colleagues, not me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
One more thing............................retirement gets better with time. You'll enjoy it more 5 years down the road than you do now. ;)

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
One of the real geezers at 82. When I was studying electronics at RPI in the 1950's the semiconductor stuff wasn't even in books yet! All the semiconductor material was on handouts of those old purple ditto sheets. (The 70 year olds might remember them. ;)) I also remember a fraternity brother who was a graduate TA in electronics trying in vain to teach me and my roommate the binary numbering system.

Reaction Score
Just 71, starting to feel it though. In Florida near Daytona Beach. Never went to Uconn, went to Quinnipiac, but did work for the State. Been a Mens fan since Wes and Toby. Been a womans fan since 1995. Actually been a fan of women forever.

Reaction Score
This was posted by @donalddoowop, I just reposted to add the poll.

A few years ago, I read on the Boneyard (BY) that many of the fans who come to the UConn home games are elderly. So, I wonder how many who post on the BY are elderly.
  • A Golden Heart is anyone between the ages of 70 to 79.
  • A Golden, Golden Heart is anyone 80 years old or older, of which I am one.

Those of us who lived through the golden years of movies, television, Doo Wop, Baseball, and Football. Those of us who don't get excited when reading a posting about a recruit who graduates in 2024, 2025 or later. Although we may be optimists, we will be thankful just to be alive then. I will feel blessed to get the opportunity to see Paige and Brady play together next season.

So, if you don't mind admitting it, how many of you fall in either category? We may have a lot of things in common.
Golden here at 73. I still feel young except when I go up against some 20-30 year olds on the pickleball court. Fond memories of my UConn days. I should have studied more but it turned out ok. Best in-person game - the slowdown game against Rhody. No, I didn't have the fortune of attending any of the NCAA championship games.

Reaction Score
I would love to meet some Boneyarders in person at a game. To put a face to some names would be great. When I attended the UConn-Stanford game in 2014, while waiting outside for the doors to open, I got a chance to meet and talk to other UConn fans (that were appropriately attired in UConn gear), if they ever read or posted on the Boneyard. Most of them didn't, nor did they know it existed. :eek:

There were a lot of UConn fans there that night. Some from San Diego, and a few from out of state. There are a lot of us our here in the golden state, more than you think. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm a golden. We just celebrated our 52nd wedding anniversary Monday. Unless I got married when I was 10, I have to be at least a golden. My children and their children are grown. Still active and in decent health. Still able to do minor maintenance around the house, and wash all the cars weekly. I would NEVER take them to a car wash. That's a waste of $$$, plus they would never do as good a job as I do.

Our 3 year old great grand-niece keeps us young. When you play with her, she insists you get on the floor with her. No sitting in a chair. :eek: She wants to play all the time. :confused:
I'm reminded too by our 2 year old grandson that I need to get on the floor to properly play.

Reaction Score

A few years ago, I read on the Boneyard (BY) that many of the fans who come to the UConn home games are elderly. So, I wonder how many who post on the BY are elderly.

Those of us who lived through the golden years of movies, television, Doo Wop, Baseball, and Football. Those of us who don't get excited when reading a posting about a recruit who graduates in 2024, 2025 or later. Although we may be optimists, we will be thankful just to be alive then. I will feel blessed to get the opportunity to see Paige and Brady play together next season.

So, if you don't mind admitting it, how many of you fall in either category? We may have a lot of things in common.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I want to say how in awe I am of the ’older’ people on this board. They’ve embraced technology (internet, computers, smart phones) and learned to use it. It may not seem like a big deal to those of you who have done it, but I’ve tried more than once to teach my mom and she just couldn’t master it. My hat is off to you.
For my upcoming 71st birthday I rebuilt my media computer from the itch, uh, scratch, using Windows 7 Media Center. What a pain in the back pocket that was. Using cable cards (the first Spectrum guy on the phone asked what those were) is an incredibly frustrating Russian doll. It all worked great until my Silicon Dust just stopped working and I had to use my Ceton InfiniTV which I had misplaced in the welter of computer equipment and HiFi stuff I have...and I mean welter. All's aligned now, with the occasional restart.

Reaction Score
I will be 83 in two weeks. Just got back from a trip to Egypt where I saw all of the famous antiquities, met a lot of great Egyptian people and cruised on a yacht for seven days and fished and swam in the Nile. As you can see from the photo below, I am still pretty strong for my age(LOL!).

7A46D5AF-23A2-4F67-AEEF-162AD5B4A6A9.jpeg

Reaction Score

I am to be 81 in December.

Reaction Score
I will be 83 in two weeks. Just got back from a trip to Egypt where I saw all of the famous antiquities, met a lot of great Egyptian people and cruised on a yacht for seven days and fished and swam in the Nile. As you can see from the photo below, I am still pretty strong for my age(LOL!).

View attachment 80820
I hope you had a chance to meet and chat with our class of 2023 recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom