Calhoun would have won that game | The Boneyard

Calhoun would have won that game

Reaction Score
Calhoun was one of a kind.

Have to imagine AG would’ve received one of these
1574543469614.jpeg

Reaction Score
It almost seems like the influx of talent and development of Hurley as a coach could be on a collision course. It is like a guy riding a scooter and continuously falling off like last night and THEN he gets a better scooter and learns how to ride it. At that point he rides the scooter into the the promised land for #5.

I was never a fan of DH's in game coaching going back to URI. One thing to me is clear though Hurley is going to get there. He works to hard and cares to much not to. The future is very very bright.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He wouldn't tolerate the mistakes Hurley does, that's an absolute certainty. But he's possibly the best maker of men ever. If you had potential, he brought it out of you.

I like Hurley, he's NOT going to be JC. He's different, and he has to be true to himself. I don't think people can be successful trying to be someone else. It's not fair to compare him to a HOF coach at this point.

AG would stop with the Hail Mary layups or he'd be on the bench. I think that's going to stop eventually anyhow.

Carlton would be a man in the post, no soft play, or he'd be sitting next to AG. I hope Carlton figures out he needs to play at or above the rim. This soft shots from 1 foot under the rim and being blocked by guards stuff has to stop.

They've both have shown flashes, I think they figure it out.

Reaction Score
Yeah Vital wouldn't take those stupid shots because he wouldn't have been recruited by Calhoun.

Who started the Vital was better than Rashad thread few months ago? That take aged poorly and it didn't take longer than a few months for that to happen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he's too busy asking the young ladies to bring him coffee. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He wouldn't tolerate the mistakes Hurley does, that's an absolute certainty. But he's possibly the best maker of men ever. If you had potential, he brought it out of you.

I like Hurley, he's NOT going to be JC. He's different, and he has to be true to himself. I don't think people can be successful trying to be someone else. It's not fair to compare him to a HOF coach at this point.

AG would stop with the Hail Mary layups or he'd be on the bench. I think that's going to stop eventually anyhow.

Carlton would be a man in the post, no soft play, or he'd be sitting next to AG. I hope Carlton figures out he needs to play at or above the rim. This soft shots from 1 foot under the rim and being blocked by guards stuff has to stop.

It’s all well and good when you actually have capable people to substitute in when a guy screws up. If Carlton sat, you’d be stuck with Whaley down low, even JC wouldn’t try to teach that lesson often.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Not as confident as you that they figure it out, but I hope so, and I think DH currently thinks it CAN happen, and I'm OK with that right now.

Reaction Score
IMO DH is too willing to allow poor play during games to let kids figure it out...it's his way...I get it...I just think that if he made a few diff decisions...including starting the final play of regulation 3 seconds sooner so we could get a put back, then we win the game...

I'm a supporter, but looks like in both losses, the coach could have changed the outcome.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He would have yanked guys making poor plays. Hurley needs to develop this attribute

He might have, but that’s not why. Hurley called those plays. If you think AG was just doing that on his own you’re crazy. He also called us to feed Carlton over and over even though he failed to finish each time. His points came on put backs of his own misses and sometimes his missed rebound of his initial miss.

I am so tired of that pointless high ball screen. We run it over and over and only one time did it become a pick and roll. We really waste Akok on offense. It’s inexcusable. And Hurley doesn’t seem to trust Polley to shoot in big moments.

Reaction Score
He would have won because AG/Carlton wouldn’t be on the roster.
Yeah you’re probably right, JC would’ve definitely passed on a McD all-american...

Some fans get more upset than others after a loss, that’s fine. I don’t necessarily understand what could possibly create such a mentality but so be it. But to disparage kids to the extent some do around here is pretty gross. You‘re either an older guy ripping on amateur athletes representing their school or you’re a contemporary/younger guy who couldn’t hold these guys’ jocks. Either way, take a look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
JC does not lose that game.
It is a pointless conversation because 1. There is just no way to know 2. Even if there was some way to know (which there is not) it would change nothing.

Jim Calhoun was a legend, but he was not perfect. I think he lost his fair share of head-scratchers and had a few rough seasons too. Hurley is just starting here and cleaning up a lot from the previous regime. He has done a lot in a short amount of time with a culture that was used to losing for a number of years and encouraged and helped these guys to improve a great deal over a small amount of time. I see no point in comparing Hurley and Calhoun, let Hurley make an attempt to cement his own legacy. 2019, we live in times of instant gratification but show patience, be open-minded.

Reaction Score
Yeah you’re probably right, JC would’ve definitely passed on a McD all-american...

Some fans get more upset than others after a loss, that’s fine. I don’t necessarily understand what could possibly create such a mentality but so be it. But to disparage kids to the extent some do around here is pretty gross. You‘re either an older guy ripping on amateur athletes representing their school or you’re a contemporary/younger guy who couldn’t hold these guys’ jocks. Either way, take a look in the mirror.
You’re telling me Calhoun would have stuck with Gilbert????? Sorry but he would have ran him off the team by now or recruited someone to take his minutes.

Reaction Score
He would have won because AG/Carlton wouldn’t be on the roster.
Kevin Ollie recruited them, they are more Calhoun's legacy than Hurley's. That being said, Calhoun would have pulled out a victory last night. Hurley's player rotation during games is a head scratcher sometimes. Makes me wonder what his dad thinks sitting right behind the bench.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
DH is fine. He is not HOF JC quality. We are spoiled by one of the greatest coaches in college BB history. JC does not lose that game.
Quite likely true, but that 3 by Marshall was an answered prayer to keep alive a game that otherwise was a shaky version of a Calhoun-like win in the making. Gave me the feeling that such will come. It's been a few years.
25-26 FTs
Somehow finished the game with fewer turnovers.
And no stopping a shot like Marshall's.

And Calhoun lost the Syracuse 6 OT game, which should have been won a couple times earlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom