Calhoun would have won that game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun would have won that game

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Truth is, the Boneyard would have fired Calhoun many times over before he ever won anything.

This. Remember when Calhoun was the coach that couldn’t win the big one? Until he did. And did again. And did a third time. But in 1998 he was known as the best coach in the country not to have gone to the Final Four.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie recruited them, they are more Calhoun's legacy than Hurley's. That being said, Calhoun would have pulled out a victory last night. Hurley's player rotation during games is a head scratcher sometimes. Makes me wonder what his dad thinks sitting right behind the bench.
Maybe letting him play through his mistakes, as someone suggested DH is doing with his players.

Game 5 of year 2 of a rebuild.

5 games into year 2, Calhoun was 3-2, and had lost to Virginia & Nova. 2 cupcakes before & 5 after, until opening BE in January with a loss to Seton Hall, and starting 2-6 in league play. Season didn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Won the NIT.

Reaction Score
Maybe letting him play through his mistakes, as someone suggested DH is doing with his players.

Game 5 of year 2 of a rebuild.

5 games into year 2, Calhoun was 3-2, and had lost to Virginia & Nova. 2 cupcakes before & 5 after, until opening BE in January with a loss to Seton Hall, and starting 2-6 in league play. Season didn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Won the NIT.
Let's hope Hurley's a young Calhoun in the making.

Reaction Score
You’re telling me Calhoun would have stuck with Gilbert????? Sorry but he would have ran him off the team by now or recruited someone to take his minutes.

So you’re saying Calhoun would’ve run him off after averaging 12.6 ppg and 3.5 apg behind Adams last year?

Or you’re saying he would’ve run him out before then after suffering injuries?

The first is absurd so I think you’re saying the second and the second is frankly despicable.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This. Remember when Calhoun was the coach that couldn’t win the big one? Until he did. And did again. And did a third time. But in 1998 he was known as the best coach in the country not to have gone to the Final Four.
All but the "This"

Not sure anybody thought there was somebody else who'd get the team over the hump

Reaction Score

I would imagine that a good percentage of the people on this board did not experience rooting for a UConn team that had never won a national championship.

The last couple years have been an abomination but they are on a decidedly upward trajectory. It sucked to lose a game that would have been a nice little statement for a team trying to climb back into relevance, but last night was the most fun I've had watching UConn basketball in years. (Granted, I had the house to myself and crushed a bottle of Williams Selyem and smoked a doink the size of my forearm but still . . .)

At the end of the Ollie years and last year even the wins felt like unfulfilling slogs. I didn't even bother watching half the games I couldn't catch live. Now I actually look forward to watching this team play. Last night they looked like a real basketball team trading haymakers with a tough, seasoned Xavier team. Yeah they gave away too many possessions and the Gilbert giveaways down the stretch were frustrating but it's a process, there's gonna be strikes and gutters. They are definitely on the come-up though. Given Hurley's track record I think this team is going to be pretty duck good by the end of the year, and I think they'll be a tournament team.

And next year, with Akok and Bouknight as sophomores, a senior Carlton, a junior Adams, and Springs, Jackson and Cole I think they're going to start paying people back for the last few years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There were a decidedly nonzero number of barkers over the years who want JC gone along the way, post multiple championships. "The game has passed him by" was the refrain.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yeah you’re probably right, JC would’ve definitely passed on a McD all-american...

Some fans get more upset than others after a loss, that’s fine. I don’t necessarily understand what could possibly create such a mentality but so be it. But to disparage kids to the extent some do around here is pretty gross. You‘re either an older guy ripping on amateur athletes representing their school or you’re a contemporary/younger guy who couldn’t hold these guys’ jocks. Either way, take a look in the mirror.
Uh @Tuna, could you define older. Are you suggesting we should be happier after a loss? The mentality is that we like to win. It feels good.

And lets face it. probably 2 or 3 of us WERE better than the 13th guy on a 12 man roster. I learned real quick in high school. After a game I heard either, "Wow, We won, Great game!" OR Wow, I can't believe you guys lost last night." You play the game you wear the losses and the wins. That's the way it goes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but he's too busy asking the young ladies to bring him coffee. :rolleyes:
That would be he’s too busy stomping on K-cups

Reaction Score
But in 1998 he was known as the best coach in the country not to have gone to the Final Four.
Yup. But I wouldn't have traded him for any other coach in the world. Calhoun was and always will be my coach. I loved the way he did it. Lets be honest though you could see a national title coming sooner or later. I totally believed that. I cant sit here and lie though I did not see 3 nevermind 4:eek:

Reaction Score
So you’re saying Calhoun would’ve run him off after averaging 12.6 ppg and 3.5 apg behind Adams last year?

Or you’re saying he would’ve run him out before then after suffering injuries?

The first is absurd so I think you’re saying the second and the second is frankly despicable.
I’m saying the 2nd. I’m not saying I agree/disagree with it but he would have probably asked him to transfer after the injuries. That’s college sports.

If he continues playing poorly this season and wants to play another year in college he will be a grad transfer elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Uh @Tuna, could you define older. Are you suggesting we should be happier after a loss? The mentality is that we like to win. It feels good.

And lets face it. probably 2 or 3 of us WERE better than the 13th guy on a 12 man roster. I learned real quick in high school. After a game I heard either, "Wow, We won, Great game!" OR Wow, I can't believe you guys lost last night." You play the game you wear the losses and the wins. That's the way it goes.
Uh, older as in older than these players? I’m suggesting some people should take it easier on personally crapping all over kids on our own team. Especially considering it’s the 5th game of the season.

I was up until 12:45 last night watching. I care. I want them to win. It does feel good. But if the Huskies losing a game gets you upset enough to disparage these kids at the level some do, maybe you should find a new hobby. Better yet, go lace them up yourself at the local Y to get a nice taste of humility.

I could go through the threads after last night and pick out the 10 worst offenders and would guarantee none of them were ever any good at any sport. If they were they would know better.

Reaction Score
I dislike this comparison. It's not fair to Hurley at this point in his career. And not fair to our program at this point in time. As all of us know, the program has regressed. And so has our recruiting cache. We are not signing the same types of bigs that we once did. We are signing small school bigs. The type of bigs we would simply out-muscle and out-run in the calhoun era.

I would ask yourself the same question about the KO era. Would KO win this game? I suspect we wouldn't of been in the game at all.

At half we were getting rolled down low. Defensive adjustments were made and we didn't get beat up as much in the 2nd half.... to me, that's progress. I'll take it.

Calhoun is almost 80. I have the fondest memories of that era, but i have definitely moved on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Truth is, the Boneyard would have fired Calhoun many times over before he ever won anything.

As a guy who watched his teams play in the field house as student, absolutely. Thank God there was no internet then. We didn’t have cable TV or nitpick every decision.

My own view is that Hurley is a very good coach. He’s caught between what he ideally wants to do, and the capabilities of his actual players. Here’s the rub, he will never, ever have a lineup that fits his ideal way to play. Hurley will need to learn to adjust to the guys he has and maximize what they can do. Like our players, he’s learning. At the moment I think he’s focused too much on “how do I use this non ideal guy Josh”, and it’s causing him to under-utilize Akok And probably Polley.

So I rely on this. His dad was a legend. He loves the game. He loves what UConn can be again. He’s smart and will get there. He is on the way now. Getting Vital to mostly play within himself is. Big step given CVs overinflated view of his game. Now he needs to convince Akok that he can’t be stopped. Because he probably can’t. Sid looks like a guy who needs a little rope. Give him a shot. Hurley is making adjustments. Some don’t work out, but he has to try.

Reaction Score
My point in starting this was what another post brought up. Game management

We had 18 seconds at the end of regulation yet we didn’t leave enough time for 1 rebound..which we got and made the bucket after time expired. Sorry that is coaching. He starts that play 3 seconds sooner we win

OLook at the box score. Top 3 guys were 8-37. We have a tiny pg that was 2-13!!

In the st joes game he waited until we were down 25 to change it up. We were down 10 in the first half yesterday and didn’t take even 1 time out!

DH has the guys playing hard, can obviously recruit but game mgt,,,?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And that's my boy, Boat. Favorite Husky of all time.
1574568461632.png

@Huskybass

Reaction Score
My point in starting this was what another post brought up. Game management

We had 18 seconds at the end of regulation yet we didn’t leave enough time for 1 rebound..which we got and made the bucket after time expired. Sorry that is coaching. He starts that play 3 seconds sooner we win

St joes game we get down 25 before we decide to press. Yesterday we were down most of first half and don’t even take 1 time out to break momentum. We went to the break with 4 TO. DH has done a great job motivating and recruiting. Game mgt needs some work

Reaction Score
I’m a huge Hurley fan. I am ecstatic he’s our guy.

If I had one wish, it’d be for this place to stop with the Calhoun comparisons. Let Hurley find his way. Let him guide the team his way. The BS like “Calhoun wouldn’t have lost this game” is ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom