Calhoun would have won that game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calhoun would have won that game

Reaction Score
Well that was harsh Mrs. Hurley.

you’re 0 for 2 with that comment

I know you’re just joking, but it’s even more important to notice that Husky and Hoops are different words when that other person is saying nonsense.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that a good percentage of the people on this board did not experience rooting for a UConn team that had never won a national championship.

The last couple years have been an abomination but they are on a decidedly upward trajectory. It sucked to lose a game that would have been a nice little statement for a team trying to climb back into relevance, but last night was the most fun I've had watching UConn basketball in years. (Granted, I had the house to myself and crushed a bottle of Williams Selyem and smoked a doink the size of my forearm but still . . .)

At the end of the Ollie years and last year even the wins felt like unfulfilling slogs. I didn't even bother watching half the games I couldn't catch live. Now I actually look forward to watching this team play. Last night they looked like a real basketball team trading haymakers with a tough, seasoned Xavier team. Yeah they gave away too many possessions and the Gilbert giveaways down the stretch were frustrating but it's a process, there's gonna be strikes and gutters. They are definitely on the come-up though. Given Hurley's track record I think this team is going to be pretty duck good by the end of the year, and I think they'll be a tournament team.

And next year, with Akok and Bouknight as sophomores, a senior Carlton, a junior Adams, and Springs, Jackson and Cole I think they're going to start paying people back for the last few years.
Watching the squad compete was nice. Twice in a week against ranked comp even. We got to see a legit halftime adjustment. I'm actually worried i might lose some of the freetime I've gained the past few winters.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Uh, older as in older than these players? I’m suggesting some people should take it easier on personally crapping all over kids on our own team. Especially considering it’s the 5th game of the season.

I was up until 12:45 last night watching. I care. I want them to win. It does feel good. But if the Huskies losing a game gets you upset enough to disparage these kids at the level some do, maybe you should find a new hobby. Better yet, go lace them up yourself at the local Y to get a nice taste of humility.

I could go through the threads after last night and pick out the 10 worst offenders and would guarantee none of them were ever any good at any sport. If they were they would know better.
Wow, all the way to 12:45! you must be a super fan. I would say that 95% of the 'Old men' on this board watched the entire game. But yeah, I agree with you on several points about over reacting and comments that denigrate the kid's entire athletic career. But most posters just point out obvious issues, habits, or traits. There may be one or two posters who consider their junior high rec league coaching qualifies them as an expert. But generally we're all the same arm chair quarterbacks that say Bench Eli, Bench Brady, LeBron's over the hill, Stanton is a waste.etc. I learned in high school, when you decide to play games that matter to other people you put yourself out there for their criticisms. It's a shame you let a bunch of has been arm chair quarter backs like me to upset you.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You’re telling me Calhoun would have stuck with Gilbert????? Sorry but he would have ran him off the team by now or recruited someone to take his minutes.
Don't think so. Yes he would have pulled him and yes, he would have publicly excoriated him, and yes Al would have sat several minutes until Glen Miller got in his ear in a more supportive tone. Then Al would have been back in, without a word, and he would do whatever he was told.

Reaction Score
IMO DH is too willing to allow poor play during games to let kids figure it out...it's his way...I get it...I just think that if he made a few diff decisions...including starting the final play of regulation 3 seconds sooner so we could get a put back, then we win the game...

I'm a supporter, but looks like in both losses, the coach could have changed the outcome.
I think we expect our coach to figure it out off the court... maybe Ollie let kids figure it out on the court, too, and that’s what we don’t want.
Coach K doesn’t let kids figure it out in game time. They’re kids.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that a good percentage of the people on this board did not experience rooting for a UConn team that had never won a national championship.

The last couple years have been an abomination but they are on a decidedly upward trajectory. It sucked to lose a game that would have been a nice little statement for a team trying to climb back into relevance, but last night was the most fun I've had watching UConn basketball in years. (Granted, I had the house to myself and crushed a bottle of Williams Selyem and smoked a doink the size of my forearm but still . . .)

At the end of the Ollie years and last year even the wins felt like unfulfilling slogs. I didn't even bother watching half the games I couldn't catch live. Now I actually look forward to watching this team play. Last night they looked like a real basketball team trading haymakers with a tough, seasoned Xavier team. Yeah they gave away too many possessions and the Gilbert giveaways down the stretch were frustrating but it's a process, there's gonna be strikes and gutters. They are definitely on the come-up though. Given Hurley's track record I think this team is going to be pretty duck good by the end of the year, and I think they'll be a tournament team.

And next year, with Akok and Bouknight as sophomores, a senior Carlton, a junior Adams, and Springs, Jackson and Cole I think they're going to start paying people back for the last few years.
I definitely am a pre-1999 fan. But we were making it to the NCAAs. We were wining the Big East or were at the top.
We at least were in the conversation. Now it’s wondering if we will have a shot to compete to win the AAC to maybe have a shot at the tourney. We haven’t even sniffed the NIT.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We at least were in the conversation. Now it’s wondering if we will have a shot to compete to win the AAC to maybe have a shot at the tourney. We haven’t even sniffed the NIT.

That's the state the program was left in 1.5 years ago.

Current state of affairs is more like being a fan in the mid 80s when JC arrived. We're hoping we can get to a mid 90s level of success under Hurley (even more if we are super lucky).

Reaction Score
Calhoun walked on water and never lost a game.
Zone
I don’t think these guys understand that being a Calhoun worshipper is detrimental to the program.
It’s what
our opponents sell on the recruiting trail. That UConn is a one coach team. It makes coaching here even more difficult than it should be.
They put the current coach in the same situation as a guy who marries a widow who only recalls an idealistic version of her late husband.The poor guy has to compete with something that never existed “perfection”.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
you’re 0 for 2 with that comment

I know you’re just joking, but it’s even more important to notice that Husky and Hoops are different words when that other person is saying nonsense.
Doh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom