Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK JIM CALHOUN WHY HE LEAVES BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME. THAT'S THE BURNING QUESTION.
It's either that or start wearing Depends. 2 hours is a long time to hold it at 75.

Reaction Score
Something that raised interest for me was the comment from Jay Williams in the Courant article a couple days ago saying that KO told him" the the grind of being in charge of a College program is completely different from NBA coaching or anything else."Is KO having second thoughts about doing this job? We have talent and he needs to get it moving in a way that gives us a chance to win. Can't look unprepared, get off to slow starts, play hard for ten minutes a game, and put teams on the floor that can't rebound, defend or play offense as a unit anymore. We need a strategy that all players buy into and execute.

Reaction Score
Not like you to beg the question, Mau. We're trying to account here for the WHY. Why was Kentan a good player for so little of his career. Part of the answer is that KO is not a teacher but an enabler -- if you can teach yourself, he'll gladly give you a chance to play. He didn't teach Giffey to play the 4, but he enabled him to show he could -- and that was all she wrote for KF's freshman year. Trouble this year is that KO has a bunch of guys who need teaching, a bunch of others who need prodding and only a few who need enabling.

I answered that. You can't teach those who aren't capable period. Mind you he needs to shy away from recruiting those guys so that is totally on KO, but no one was making AB or KF better they never understood the game and the nuances, no natural feel. The Giffey comparison is perfect thank you so much. A guy who listened, really understood the game and had the natural ability. He improved because he was a good student but it wasn't as much KO as it was himself, he was smart basketball-wise and did what he was asked. He's a basketball player, really simple, can put him out there and ask him to do a job he will at least try and he can play multiple positions. Same with Kromah, same with Deandre - smart, understand where to be and when on both sides of the ball. I don't care how anyone is coaching you after 4 years of basketball practice, 100 games if you aren't better it's on you as much if not more than anyone else. Thats the reality. And I'm not saying KO is a great molder of a player, just pointing out guys who wouldn't be any good for K or Izzo either.

There's your WHY.

Reaction Score
From the Cuse game

Simple task 1 - Rebound
Simple task 2 - Play hard the entire game
Simple task 3 - Play smart and limit turnovers
Simple task 4 - Hit your free throws
#5 stop getting stuffed on dunks! Get off your feet elevate!

Reaction Score
I will try and find out about Hurley, my dad and uncle grew up with Bob Hurley and my uncle has been friends with him forever. Not sure how much they talk anymore though.

What I do know is that Bob Hurley and Calhoun not liking each other is complete bullcr@p.

Yeah do that see if you can lure him to Storrs superjohn that would be great. Thank you

Reaction Score
you are the one constantly claiming all the players stink mau. look at your post about facey two posts ago.

its incredible in 6 years, KO hasn't managed to get a single player here who had any talent or skills to work with or any self driven will to succeed. crazy how that happened. just all of the completely empty cupboards.

As an aside, i think its funny that you constantly rip the players to shreds far worse than most of the criticism KO gets around here and yet you are the one who gets so offended and upset anyone someone speaks the truth about what is going on around here, accusing us of being overly negative or rooting for us to lose. #hypocrite
Mau rips on the players more than anyone on the board but lectures others whenever the coach who makes over 3 mil. per is criticized for his coaching and ability to run the program. Real stand up guy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I will try and find out about Hurley, my dad and uncle grew up with Bob Hurley and my uncle has been friends with him forever. Not sure how much they talk anymore though.

What I do know is that Bob Hurley and Calhoun not liking each other is complete bullcr@p.
We can't wait

Reaction Score
From Courant article.

“I just think we’re fluctuating so much, with Alterique [Gilbert] out right now,” Calhoun said, “and when you fluctuate you’ve probably got to simplify. We need to figure out what we’re going to try to do every single night. We have really good aspects, we’ve got to find the best way to use them.

“It’s hard sometimes, because we’re trying to develop our front court, do this, this and that. We have a very good back court, five guys who can play on the perimeter, most teams don’t have that. And we’ve got to simplify what we do and hope to continue to work on what we’re really good at, and do that. Syracuse, you know what they did? Play a zone, protect the rim, and won because of the 2-3 zone. We’ve got to find our niche as the season goes on. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin. I think we have good players.”

That has ALWAYS been my biggest gripe with Ollie. I feel Ollie never sets a hook for the team to hang its hat on. We never have an identity. He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.
Injuries happen, things happen you must adjust. Jack of all trades master of none basketball is not winning basketball.

I agree with you that UCONN led Ollie teams have no identity, and we are trying to do much while doing nothing at all on the court.

Calhoun is a great guy and an even better coach, but you need to take his words here with a grain of salt. He is not going to be very honest about Ollie and the team publicly like us. He is indirectly saying that we have no identity and we don't utilize the talent we have correctly. That is all on Ollie. We have a 3 good players, after that there is a huge drop off in talent. Even the good players we have are either weak, out of shape, or undersized and don't play with intensity on both ends of the court.

Our front court is worse than many mid-majors.

PS: Right now we are worse than Rutgers. Think about that, Pikiell and Rutgers would probably beat us the way we are playing and with the collection of players we are throwing out there.

PS: Last year we had Jalen, Purvis, Kentan, and Amida in the starting lineup along with Vance and Vital and we weren't good. Last year's team had plenty of talent, size, and length and Ollie had them losing to Wagner, Northeastern, and East Carolina in one season. This year's team has nowhere near the talent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I’m no basketball coach but it seems obvious to me the easiest fix with a high ROI is getting a 40 minute defensive effort.

They cranked it up late against Stony Brook and Columbia.

How about that intensity before being down dd in the 2nd half.

Same against Cuse. For stretch in the second half, I was thinking "finally, where has that been". Wasn't the whole 2nd half, but it was definitely there.

Reaction Score
Mau rips on the players more than anyone on the board but lectures others whenever the coach who makes over 3 mil. per is criticized for his coaching and ability to run the program. Real stand up guy.

You rip on players as well as the coach. Mine is not ripping just pointing out facts if you don't see them then that's ok. But when is the last time you even talked about a player? Oh you don't have time pounding your chest about how right you are about KO you forgot there were players, you're pitiful.

The fact Huskybass "Likes" you is all you need to know. Enjoy you're meeting with Danny Hurley and his dad. And you make fun of Chief - LOL:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Where did this idea of Calhoun and Ollie not getting along start? If this is true, why is that the case? Im very curious.

Reaction Score
Ollie seems to recruit an awful lot of guys who don’t improve and wouldn’t get better no matter who was coach. Who is that on?

Reaction Score
Ollie seems to recruit an awful lot of guys who don’t improve and wouldn’t get better no matter who was coach. Who is that on?

Think we know that don't we? Another troll question which as been answered already even by Team Pollyanna.

Reaction Score
So Jim Calhoun says something in support of Ollie and all the extreme haters (and I'm on middle of scale) totally dismiss it. This tells us that its beyond an absurd waste of time for anyone to try and dissuade those that want to boo the team at every opportunity until Ollie is fired in the middle of a game. If coach can be so easily dismissed and ignored I'm pissing into the wind.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have I ever steered you wrong?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Same against Cuse. For stretch in the second half, I was thinking "finally, where has that been". Wasn't the whole 2nd half, but it was definitely there.

Probably the biggest issue I have with Ollie's teams is they noticeably play harder and better when the postseason starts. Even last year we could have easily beat Cincinnati and played SMU for a chance to go to the NCAAT if the refs didn't screw us. The obvious question is where is that intensity, effort and focus from day 1. There's really no excuse for it not being there and if I had one question to ask Ollie that's what I would ask him.

Reaction Score
Where did this idea of Calhoun and Ollie not getting along start? If this is true, why is that the case? Im very curious.

Calhoun was super involved with the team up through 2014. I think I read somewhere that it was typical for him and Ollie to talk for hours on any given day.

More recently, Calhoun has said that he isn’t as involved in the day-to-day of the program anymore and that he “understands” and that Ollie has to develop his own identity as a coach and wants to do an NBA offense and things to that effect.

Nothing explicitly negative, but read between the lines: the supply of Calhoun’s willingness to be involved in the program exceeds Ollie’s demand.

That’s just what Calhoun has said publicly. Others may know more.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If coach can be so easily dismissed and ignored I'm pissing into the wind.
JC was always a master of coachspeak. What you're asking is if we should believe him or our own lyin eyes.

Reaction Score

Yeah i know. That’s why I said that in my posts. Haha.

I know you were just agreeing with me but your post is basically hey did you know that mau does exactly what you just said he does?

Thought it was funny not being a jerk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom