Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there)

Reaction Score
Isn't that pretty much how KO treated Kenton Facey?

Deservedly so he was dreadful until 5 games into his senior year and then the last 10-12 back to being just that.

Reaction Score
From Courant article.

“I just think we’re fluctuating so much, with Alterique [Gilbert] out right now,” Calhoun said, “and when you fluctuate you’ve probably got to simplify. We need to figure out what we’re going to try to do every single night. We have really good aspects, we’ve got to find the best way to use them.

“It’s hard sometimes, because we’re trying to develop our front court, do this, this and that. We have a very good back court, five guys who can play on the perimeter, most teams don’t have that. And we’ve got to simplify what we do and hope to continue to work on what we’re really good at, and do that. Syracuse, you know what they did? Play a zone, protect the rim, and won because of the 2-3 zone. We’ve got to find our niche as the season goes on. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin. I think we have good players.”

That has ALWAYS been my biggest gripe with Ollie. I feel Ollie never sets a hook for the team to hang its hat on. We never have an identity. He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.
Injuries happen, things happen you must adjust. Jack of all trades master of none basketball is not winning basketball.
I see Calhoun still stinks with #'s. We have 3 guards/guys who can play on the perimeter and one of them was the fourth leading scorer on a terrible Fordham team last year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I see Calhoun still stinks with #'s. We have 3 guards/guys who can play on the perimeter and one of them was the fourth leading scorer on a terrible Fordham team last year.

I believe he counts Larrier as a perimiter player.

Reaction Score
Hilarious stuff sj, creativity isn't your strongpoint but we do know consistency is.

Reactions: pj

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Very late in the Oregon game (I believe we had a two point lead) one of our guards (I think Vital but I could be mistaken) beat his man off the dribble, drove the lane and as an Oregon player rotated to defend him, Anderson moved in behind the misplaced defender, got the pass for an uncontested dunk. That type of play is what we should be running on a regular basis.

If you have a ball handler who can beat his man off the dribble, even if requires a high ball screen (we normally have a couple on the court at all times), proper spacing (this remains to be seen), movement by players without the ball to spot left open by the defensive rotation (also remains to be seen) and vision by the ball handler (once again, remains to be seen) we will always have an open shot.

The one-on-one structure of our offense irritates me beyond description but if it is designed to teach an offense that can consistently produce played like Anderson's dunk late against Oregon it may have some redeeming qualities.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m no basketball coach but it seems obvious to me the easiest fix with a high ROI is getting a 40 minute defensive effort.

They cranked it up late against Stony Brook and Columbia.

How about that intensity before being down dd in the 2nd half.
That's why all of my simple tasks involved defense.

Reaction Score
Hilarious stuff sj, creativity isn't your strongpoint but we do know consistency is.
m2yaZeELRfAD6.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
From Courant article.

“I just think we’re fluctuating so much, with Alterique [Gilbert] out right now,” Calhoun said, “and when you fluctuate you’ve probably got to simplify. We need to figure out what we’re going to try to do every single night. We have really good aspects, we’ve got to find the best way to use them.

“It’s hard sometimes, because we’re trying to develop our front court, do this, this and that. We have a very good back court, five guys who can play on the perimeter, most teams don’t have that. And we’ve got to simplify what we do and hope to continue to work on what we’re really good at, and do that. Syracuse, you know what they did? Play a zone, protect the rim, and won because of the 2-3 zone. We’ve got to find our niche as the season goes on. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin. I think we have good players.”

The best part about this Calhoun quote is the fact that if he were a Boneyard poster, named something like HuskyDogForever or something, he would have been laughed off of the forum. Stuff like:

1) We've got to simplify??? Dude, we are the simplest team out there!
2) We have 5 guys who can play on the perimeter?? Wanna bet? 1 at best, maybe 2...
3) You have a lot of confidence in Kevin? Then you're an idiot. You're literally the last person with any confidence in him at all!

Sorry about the cynicism. But it is EXTREMELY refreshing to me to hear these words from Calhoun; a basketball mind that I have a great deal of respect for. If he says we have really good aspects and a very good back court, I believe him. If he says he has a lot of confidence in Kevin and that we have good players, I believe him.

Does that mean that Ollie gets a pass? Certainly not. He's gotta figure out how to maximize with these guys. But it certainly gives me more confidence that we'll get this sorted out and we'll be dancing in a few months...or at least that's my opinion of it...

Reaction Score
I love that in this current state of anti ollieism almost everyone took Calhoun’s words as gospel when it came to personnel and strategic approach, but never mentioned his trust and belief that Ollie is the right guy. You cannot have it both ways.

August_West

Reaction Score
The best part about this Calhoun quote is the fact that if he were a Boneyard poster, named something like HuskyDogForever or something, he would have been laughed off of the forum. Stuff like:

2) We have 5 guys who can play on the perimeter?? Wanna bet? 1 at best, maybe 2...
3) You have a lot of confidence in Kevin? Then you're an idiot. You're literally the last person with any confidence in him at all!

Sorry about the cynicism. But it is EXTREMELY refreshing to me to hear these words from Calhoun; a basketball mind that I have a great deal of respect for. If he says we have really good aspects and a very good back court, I believe him. If he says he has a lot of confidence in Kevin and that we have good players, I believe him.

Does that mean that Ollie gets a pass? Certainly not. He's gotta figure out how to maximize with these guys. But it certainly gives me more confidence that we'll get this sorted out and we'll be dancing in a few months...or at least that's my opinion of it...

Well yeah. You are right about that (the posters here ). And .... I agree with you, but Im going to play slight devils advocate for a second. There is a tinge of homerism in JC (and god there obviously should be) look no further than the "we's" ...... and if you read between the lines JC is saying "Kevin is not getting what he needs to out of the players he has, he better find a way " in the nicest, most constructive way JC knows how to do so publicly. I would love to hear his private take. :eek:

But, he is offering solutions too. I beleive him too.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well yeah. You are right about that (the posters here ). And .... I agree with you, but Im going to play slight devils advocate for a second. There is a tinge of homerism in JC (and god there obviously should be) look no further than the "we's" . and if you read between the lines JC is saying "Kevin is not getting what he needs to out of the players he has, he better find a way " in the nicest, most constructive way JC knows how to do so publicly. I would love to hear his private take. :eek:

But, he is offering solutions too. I beleive him too.

You devil!

Seriously though, if Calhoun said anything other than "we", I would ask his doctor to check him for signs of a stroke.

Could you imagine if Calhoun was talking about the Huskies and said stuff like "they" or "you guys"??? Holy crap, the entire Husky Nation would explode!!!

Reaction Score
Deservedly so he was dreadful until 5 games into his senior year and then the last 10-12 back to being just that.

Basically, Facey's freshman year was sacrificed to the national championship, so it's hard to find fault. He was confined to garbage-time minutes despite averaging a rebound a minute. He was then penalized for playing his sophomore year like a freshman (Duke game aside), the penalty being that Shonn Miller was brought in, and Kentan was effectively denied his junior year. His senior year was a testimony to pure determination and a beacon light shone on what might have been. As to the "dreadful" last 10-12 games, they included a 15 pt/9 reb effort against SMU, 8 pts/10 reb against Cincinnati, 9 pts/11 reb against Houston, 8 pts/10 reb against Memphis and 12 pts/11 reb against ECU. This year's team could use a syringe or two of such "dreadful."

Reaction Score
Basically, Facey's freshman year was sacrificed to the national championship, so it's hard to find fault. He was confined to garbage-time minutes despite averaging a rebound a minute. He was then penalized for playing his sophomore year like a freshman (Duke game aside), the penalty being that Shonn Miller was brought in, and Kentan was effectively denied his junior year. His senior year was a testimony to pure determination and a beacon light shone on what might have been. As to the "dreadful" last 10-12 games, they included a 15 pt/9 reb effort against SMU, 8 pts/10 reb against Cincinnati, 9 pts/11 reb against Houston, 8 pts/10 reb against Memphis and 12 pts/11 reb against ECU. This year's team could use a syringe or two of such "dreadful."

He was our worst defender, never could find his guy always lost. He did show signs on very few occasions but let's be honest he was a good player for UConn for about 15-18 games total. Good kid for 4 years though.

Reaction Score

I was scrolling through this thread quickly and started reading this post right where your list starts and thought "wow, what happened to UConnDan97, he was one of the sane ones! Things have really gone off the rails."

That has ALWAYS been my biggest gripe with Ollie. I feel Ollie never sets a hook for the team to hang its hat on. We never have an identity. He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.
Injuries happen, things happen you must adjust. Jack of all trades master of none basketball is not winning basketball.

This is how I've felt as well. This is why when we were down to 6-7 players last year, we were somehow actually better than when we had 9 or 10. The players we did have turned into a cohesive unit because they were all we had. Obviously we still lost games because... we had 6 players. But when Ollie was coaching 9 players, they never found an identity and the group wasn't able to mesh. This was an issue in other years as well. It took the entire season to develop rotations that worked.

Partly I think he'd be a better coach right now if we hadn't won it all in 2014. I think he thought he had it figured out and didn't develop as a coach as quickly because the coaching flaws didn't feel like critical issues, but just part of a season long growth process. But now it should be clear that those flaws need to be fixed or we'll continue to start the season handicapped to just about every team in America.

Reaction Score
I love that in this current state of anti ollieism almost everyone took Calhoun’s words as gospel when it came to personnel and strategic approach, but never mentioned his trust and belief that Ollie is the right guy. You cannot have it both ways.
Jim Calhoun is a great basketball coach, but its possible that he's not a great teacher of future basketball coaches (mixed bag of successes & misfires in coaching tree) or mentor or administrator for hiring basketball coaches. But regardless, I agree 100% that his words and opinion should be wakeup call to restrain the lynch mob while the season plays out.

Reaction Score

I mean, he’s still an ambassador for the program and it’s going to do no good trashing the team and the coach. Even if he was pissed about the direction of the program and what Ollie is doing there’s no way he’d say it given his position - it wouldn’t benefit any party involved. And considering the product on the court, there’s no way he can’t be even a little concerned.

August_West

Reaction Score
You devil!

Seriously though, if Calhoun said anything other than "we", I would ask his doctor to check him for signs of a stroke.

Could you imagine if Calhoun was talking about the Huskies and said stuff like "they" or "you guys"??? Holy crap, the entire Husky Nation would explode!!!

Ive heard him use "they" when on ESPN, but only then.

Reaction Score
He was our worst defender, never could find his guy always lost. He did show signs on very few occasions but let's be honest he was a good player for UConn for about 15-18 games total. Good kid for 4 years though.

Not like you to beg the question, Mau. We're trying to account here for the WHY. Why was Kentan a good player for so little of his career. Part of the answer is that KO is not a teacher but an enabler -- if you can teach yourself, he'll gladly give you a chance to play. He didn't teach Giffey to play the 4, but he enabled him to show he could -- and that was all she wrote for KF's freshman year. Trouble this year is that KO has a bunch of guys who need teaching, a bunch of others who need prodding and only a few who need enabling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He showed signs as a sophomore of being a player against Duke. This is a player that should have been developed. He was handled very inconsistently. Often he would give good minutes than sit the rest of the game. Ollie is handling his current bigs the same way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lol, we need to be simpler? If we get any simpler, Adams might actually fall asleep within the first 5 minuets.

What do the optimists really expect Calhoun to say? Ollie sucks, he’s leading the program into the sheeter, the players suck, etc? Of course he’s gonna act positive, but he’s probably the person most pissed at Ollie, he’s watching his program burn right before his eyes.

Reaction Score
I mean, he’s still an ambassador for the program and it’s going to do no good trashing the team and the coach. Even if he was pissed about the direction of the program and what Ollie is doing there’s no way he’d say it given his position - it wouldn’t benefit any party involved. And considering the product on the court, there’s no way he can’t be even a little concerned.
It's no secret his relationship with Ollie is broken and Calhoun is pissed about what's happened.

Reaction Score

Keep in mind JC is still an employee of the program as well as around the team. He cant be as openly honest as members of the BY.

Would have liked for him to go into detail on why he has confidence in Ollie. If you believe JC on the talent of this team you have to question the coaching even more. I wish I saw what JC sees, maybe I would if I was collecting his consultant check.

Bracketology 2018: Odds To Make The NCAA Tournament

Computer model to make tourney isn't very optimistic. You need to scroll for awhile to find UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

He doesn't have to comment at all. That's the point. And Calhoun is not the type of person that is shy about having his feelings heard... :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wygyschk

Top Bottom