Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there) | The Boneyard

Calhoun totally gets it (no shock there)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
From Courant article.

“I just think we’re fluctuating so much, with Alterique [Gilbert] out right now,” Calhoun said, “and when you fluctuate you’ve probably got to simplify. We need to figure out what we’re going to try to do every single night. We have really good aspects, we’ve got to find the best way to use them.

“It’s hard sometimes, because we’re trying to develop our front court, do this, this and that. We have a very good back court, five guys who can play on the perimeter, most teams don’t have that. And we’ve got to simplify what we do and hope to continue to work on what we’re really good at, and do that. Syracuse, you know what they did? Play a zone, protect the rim, and won because of the 2-3 zone. We’ve got to find our niche as the season goes on. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin. I think we have good players.”

That has ALWAYS been my biggest gripe with Ollie. I feel Ollie never sets a hook for the team to hang its hat on. We never have an identity. He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.
Injuries happen, things happen you must adjust. Jack of all trades master of none basketball is not winning basketball.

August_West

Reaction Score
From the Cuse game

Simple task 1 - Rebound
Simple task 2 - Play hard the entire game
Simple task 3 - Play smart and limit turnovers
Simple task 4 - Hit your free throws

Obvious and true. But its more than that.

We ran Man, pressure, 2-3 zone, and sucked at most all of it.

Reaction Score
Obvious and true. But its more than that.

We ran Man, pressure, 2-3 zone, and sucked at most all of it.
If we can't get those simple things right, I don't think we are to expect a stellar anything.

After the blow out at St. Bonaventure during JCs tenure, I don't think JC was explaining the intricacies of the motion offense or a man defense during practice at midnight. He was surely running them into the ground.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You can be easy to scout and still be hard to stop. Our problem isnt that we are easy to scout. Its that we are easy to stop.
Only with elite talent, then yes, run ISO all day long. We've been getting our ball handler doubled at the high screen for years now. Or just fall back in a zone and dare us to shoot.

August_West

Reaction Score
Only with elite talent, then yes, run ISO all day long. We've been getting our ball handler doubled at the high screen for years now. Or just fall back in a zone and dare us to shoot.

Jalen Adams is an elite offensive talent.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Simple task 1: Stop giving up dribble penetration
Simple task 2: Tag 3 point shooters - know where they are and get a hand up on the shot.
Simple task 3: Stop giving up dribble penetration
Simple task 4: Know the switches and rotations when playing man D. Talk more, don't yell after.
Simple task 5. Stop giving up dribble penetration
Simple task 6: Block out on every shot
Simple task 7: Stop giving up dribble penetration

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.

Shuttles players in and out?

Adams, Anderson, Larrier and Vital played 40, 38, 38 and 37 minutes respectively. They just aren't coach well, that's why there's no cohesion.

Reaction Score
I’m no expert at designing basketball plays so I won’t pretend to be one.
I do remember hearing about Lombardi’s Packers offense that stuck with me though.
They didn’t have a wide array of plays they had a limited set. But they practiced the hell out of them and he demanded perfection so much so that even if the opposition knew what was coming they couldn’t stop it because inevitably On defense there were a couple of players who couldn’t nail it while everyone on the offensive side of the ball was doing exactly what they were supposed to do where they were supposed to do it. And despite being fairly simple they were a finely tuned machine.
Now I don’t know how limited coaches are with practicing hours but I’d hope we could at least have a handful of plays where we are like a symphony out there at some point this year or any year.

August_West

Reaction Score
Shuttles players in and out?

Adams, Anderson, Larrier and Vital played 40, 38, 38 and 37 minutes respectively. They just aren't coach well, that's why there's no cohesion.

Just now. Without Gilbert. And the front line has been a mess. Starting Polley over Vital was a fail. Seeing Diarra with no minutes (he got DNP's early!) and DO with minutes to start, not good. Carlton saw big minutes early, none now. Whaley saw minutes early none now. The pardigm shift of what he thinks he has and then doesnt, doesnt give us any sort of balance in developing. The front line needs to be set too. And right now that is 1) Cobb 2) Diarra. Or better be.

Reaction Score
We need to learn how to keep our man in front of us and how to switch. End the lay up line.

Reaction Score
I think KO has trouble seeing what we see. He plays lesser players and sits players that show something. Facey should have developed into a late first rounder.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m no basketball coach but it seems obvious to me the easiest fix with a high ROI is getting a 40 minute defensive effort.

They cranked it up late against Stony Brook and Columbia.

How about that intensity before being down dd in the 2nd half.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just now. Without Gilbert. And the front line has been a mess. Starting Polley over Vital was a fail. Seeing Diarra with no minutes (he got DNP's early!) and DO with minutes to start, not good. Carlton saw big minutes early, none now. Whaley saw minutes early none now. The pardigm shift of what he thinks he has and then doesnt, doesnt give us any sort of balance in developing. The front line needs to be set too. And right now that is 1) Cobb 2) Diarra. Or better be.
Dude, your game here has gone up so much since the demise of the Cesspool. Welcome back!

(Your time on the ECU board has done wonders for you! ;))

August_West

Reaction Score
So I guess he better not pass to the rest of them. And no, he is not an elite scorer. I admit he can get past his man and into the lane better than most.

When you have a player as adept in the lane as Jalen is, Focus on getting him into the lane.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
On the defensive side, there is a quick fix:

Next time UConn plays (or go back and watch a previous game) Watch the footwork, specifically with JA but mostly the whole squad.

Everyone is flat footed, no one is playing on the balls of their feet. When your heel is touching the court on defense you are going to get beat to the rim or you won't be able to elevate quick enough to alter a jumper.

It's simple, but can make a yuge difference on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
From Courant article.

“I just think we’re fluctuating so much, with Alterique [Gilbert] out right now,” Calhoun said, “and when you fluctuate you’ve probably got to simplify. We need to figure out what we’re going to try to do every single night. We have really good aspects, we’ve got to find the best way to use them.

“It’s hard sometimes, because we’re trying to develop our front court, do this, this and that. We have a very good back court, five guys who can play on the perimeter, most teams don’t have that. And we’ve got to simplify what we do and hope to continue to work on what we’re really good at, and do that. Syracuse, you know what they did? Play a zone, protect the rim, and won because of the 2-3 zone. We’ve got to find our niche as the season goes on. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin. I think we have good players.”

That has ALWAYS been my biggest gripe with Ollie. I feel Ollie never sets a hook for the team to hang its hat on. We never have an identity. He shuttles players in and out too much and never gives a core a chance to become something. To establish something. Every year, not just this year. JC is spot on that we need to simplify and become something. Even if you fail at first, find a philosophy and STICK with it.
Injuries happen, things happen you must adjust. Jack of all trades master of none basketball is not winning basketball.

Wait.. I thought the complaint on the board was that Ollie has no hook and lets players stay in too long when they do something dumb instead of teaching them a lesson like Calhoun?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom