Calhoun needs to deside now ! | The Boneyard

Calhoun needs to deside now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With everything going on with Uconn he cant do his usual take 3, 4 months to decide if he is coming back. Recruiting is already taking a hit with apr. Nba defections , transfers ect. Its not looking good. Waiting will only make things worse. These are not normal times for Uconn. Present and future players have decisions to make, the school needs to know whats going on, a national coaching search takes time , the talent pool of coaches and players available will shrink.

I have been a Uconn fan for over40 years, and I am grateful for everything JC has done, (I used to go to games when Perno was the coach) so u know how grateful I am. Lots of things going on at Uconn that dont seem right, The apr (other schools have players leave or transfer), coaching staff a mess, Blaney does what exactly, we dont have a big mans coach, do u see players getting better, the offense , the defense, ( last year KEMBA was the offense) players talking back to JC.
I agree it should be his call to stay or leave , but for the sake of the program it cant be the same old, same old. To delay announcing a decision with the way thing are will only make things
worse and harder to move on, and will come across as being somewhat selfish , egotistical, arragant .
T0 delay would be the same as saying Im bigger than the program and do what ever I want, Just because he built the program doesnt up which he did, doesnt give him the right to tear it all down (he got and gets paid very well for what he does), just sayin.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i think he should do whatever he wants, people said the exact same after the '10 season, and he still recruited and developed kemba in to the poy, lamb into a lottery pick, and won a nc... he also went to the ff in '09, so id say he can deCIDE what he wants to do

Reaction Score
No, he has decided to come back and he has said as much recently. He needs to continue to say he is coming back to quiet the naysayers. Taking his sweet old time isn't working well in the offseason. It hurts recruiting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do not disagree with the original post - at least not the main theme of it. It gets a little frayed around the edges and if my kid had them weird eyes, I'd have sold it to the gypsies years ago.

That aside, again, I agree.

We can't have the maybe-I-will-maybe-I-won't dance play out over five months again this year. It's bad for the program, it damages recruiting and it's just unnecessary.

It's a 12-month a year gig. If you're not sure in April if you want to come back, you need to make that decision very quickly. If you drag it out to September and then bail, you've rolled a hand grenade under the program.

Besides, he's coming back - let's not drag it out.

Reaction Score
It hurts recruiting? A class of Drummond, Daniels and Boatright? Come on folks - don't just respew stuff you've heard. Think about what you're saying before hitting enter.

Becuase he told them that he was going to be back to coach them, but he didn't tell the media or us

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It hurts recruiting? A class of Drummond, Daniels and Boatright? Come on folks - don't just respew stuff you've heard. Think about what you're saying before hitting enter.

It's not been a secret that UConn has struggled hitting their Plan A targets over the past couple of years. One of the issues that they have is that during the summer recruiting months, Calhoun is a) telling everyone with a mic that he's not sure he's coming back and b) has one foot in and one foot out of the summer recruiting scene.

Kids notice. And there are plenty of competing coaches there to help them notice.

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is the one year, with the NCAAT ban, I don't think it hurts recruiting much. He can take as long as he wants this year. Next year, that's a different story. The only thing it might hurt are the chances of Drummond/Lamb/Oriakhi coming back. Oddly, Oriakhi may be more likely to stay if JC doesn't come back and the reverse for the other two. JMO

Reaction Score
It's not been a secret that UConn has struggled hitting their Plan A targets over the past couple of years. One of the issues that they have is that during the summer recruiting months, Calhoun is a) telling everyone with a mic that he's not sure he's coming back and b) has one foot in and one foot out of the summer recruiting scene.

Kids notice. And there are plenty of competing coaches there to help them notice.

Do you think at least some of the "maybe I will maybe I won't" stuff had something to do with the relationship with our not too dearly departed AD, JH? As so many speculated.

Reaction Score
JC needs to decide by a week after the Final Four. You are either in or out. If he stays, one move that should be made is time for Blaney to retire. Get someone younger next to the head coach and if they are serious about Ollie then he should be the #2 going into next season in case of further JC medical leaves. It is no time to look stagnant from a program standpoint.

Reaction Score
Well, the OP is right you know, why don't we volunteer him to tell JC that directly?

JC's response, I suspect, would be better than a hanging.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
JC needs to decide when he is damned well ready to decide and he needs to announce that decision when he is damned well ready to announce it. He has returned to UConn, the school, the athletic department, the basketball program and the fan base far more over the (more than) two ans a half decades he's been here than was expected or required and he has earned more privileges on determining his future than anyone has anywhere else in any endeavor.

More importantly, he is not the mercenary that coaches like Pitino and Calipari have been. He views the school, the athletic department and the basketball program as part of him and he will never willingly do anything to hurt UConn or the men's program. If he states that we will be after he retires you can bet on the fact that he will do everything in his power to make sure we don't stumble once he's gone.

Reaction Score
No recruits will announce for UConn for next year until the NCAA officially decides which year the penalties start.
If it's beyond 2013 then Drummond stays and we get a recruit or two more.
No matter what, JC stays on as HC. He is stubborn enough to see these NCAA matters through. He also wants a say in the next HC. And, as he said on Francesa's show, this week, he wants a role after he retires.
If Ollie is the new coach, he would have Hobbs, Miller & Blaney (assuming he doesn't retire) as assistants with many HC years under their belts. Plus, JC's behind the sceens advice.

Reaction Score
First , we need to find out whether we will be eligible for next year's tourny. If not, he should sit down with the UCONN President and Athletic Director and try to develop a plan of succession. If we are eligible, then what's the rush? It won't hurt recruiting next year or the year after.

Reaction Score
JC needs to decide when he is damned well ready to decide and he needs to announce that decision when he is damned well ready to announce it. He has returned to UConn, the school, the athletic department, the basketball program and the fan base far more over the (more than) two ans a half decades he's been here than was expected or required and he has earned more privileges on determining his future than anyone has anywhere else in any endeavor.

More importantly, he is not the mercenary that coaches like Pitino and Calipari have been. He views the school, the athletic department and the basketball program as part of him and he will never willingly do anything to hurt UConn or the men's program. If he states that we will be after he retires you can bet on the fact that he will do everything in his power to make sure we don't stumble once he's gone.
Were stumbling now, and I dont mean losing thur nite.

Reaction Score
1 year after a National Champ. ???? are kidding ?? Stumbling like Duke, Mizz ?? Not going to win every year. Would love to win about 3 NC's and 4 FF's about every 12 years or so - Oh thats right we did that. Coach Calhoun health issues aside could coach another 10 years - I could only hope.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I was worried he had termites or something on his house and it had to be de-sided.

Good to know this moron meant decide!

Reaction Score
Recruits want to play for JC, ( JC = UCONN for now), if there is a question about him coming back added to NCAAT ban, and no clue who the next coach will be would u go to UCONN right now? Plus the pool of available coaches will shrink as time goes by,S.Smart talking to ILL. UCONN better job , might be gone in3/4 months. UCONN has not been proactive on many issues, and look where its gotten us. WE win NCAAT, BCS bowl game ,College world series, and PITT and CUSE to ACC and UCONN? Lameduck AD not in the loop on any thing. Basket ball practice facility ? Better late than never, I guess. CT highest per capita , UCONN mens and womens basketball the only game in town. And they drag their feet on that? CT not the only state with $ issues. There needs to be a game plan, and I just dont see one. Times are changing, things are changing, and how things have been done in the past isnt gonna cut it anymore. No ACC, no practice facility, no NCAAT?, Scholarship reductions, probation, Blaney 73yrs backing up JC 70yrs, now theres a plan. JC has health issues, no secret there. UCONN is setting itself up to fail bigtime,(possibly), if they dont get their together on a lot of things !
UCONN was very lucky to get JC and Gino first time around, in business you can make your own luck or just sit back and wait for lightning to strike twice.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
1 year after a National Champ. ???? are kidding ?? Stumbling like Duke, Mizz ?? Not going to win every year. Would love to win about 3 NC's and 4 FF's about every 12 years or so - Oh thats right we did that. Coach Calhoun health issues aside could coach another 10 years - I could only hope.
they said the same after the '10 season, which came after a final four

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JC has made it a point to say lately that he wants to be a caretaker, a resource to the program after he retires. UConn has given him all he wants, a new AD, a new BB facility on the drawing board, a well-paid staff. The Brett Favre act won't cut it this off-season. It wouldn't hurt him to say he's all-in early this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
After losing to Va Tech in the NIT (one year removed from a final four appearance) we had supposedly fallen into an abyss so deep that we would never again be more than fodder for better BE schools.

While I never could have dreamed of the results we ended up with in 2010-2011, I wrote a very long post on the old Scout board in the summer of 2010 stating that we would have a surprisingly good season solely based on the knowledge that under JC, every disappointing season that led to people (both within our fan base and outside) stating that our run of success has reached the end ('93, '01), we came back with better results than anyone could have hoped for.

If JC is still breathing we'll be a threat to contend. You can bet the house on that.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see JC say that he's going to be here, and for how long; health notwithstanding. I think it is in the best interest of his program, and its continuation.

Reaction Score
I'd be happy to have Calhoun around for another 5 years. He is an incredibly intelligent man, even at 70 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom