Calhoun coming back | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Calhoun coming back

Reaction Score
We're not hiring a 76 year old, but maybe he'll come back in some capacity.
He’s returning more powerful than you can possibly imagine

But in all seriousness, although he has had several years off the road, he couldn’t tolerate BE travel at 70. How’s he gonna handle AAC travel?

And how in the hell does this work with recruiting? Is chill being kept around for that alone? And even if so, what does that pitch sound like?

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
And how in the hell does this work with recruiting? Is chill being kept around for that alone?

Even chill would struggle bringing high level guys in with a 76 year old coach who these players know unless they’re a one and done are not going to play for

Reaction Score
I heard it 6 weeks ago - thought it was a stretch. Maybe not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How many losses before you find Hurley's wife on Twitter and start heckling her?
As usual, you’re completely wrong. It’s the people like you and Frank Ivy whose dissatisfaction with Ollie turned into near-psychotic rage who want specific coaches to fail.

There are slow learners and then there’s this guy.

Reaction Score
What about if Jim only coaches for home games and does zero travel. Then bring in a new coach for away games only, pay 1/2 a salary. I would hire Beck Hammon, she lives in AAC territory, so it will be like coming home for her. This will work. The team can play two styles. Which ever style works better, we use in the post season. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
ADB podcast said no efforts have been made with donors to raise $ for the buyout. That supports a JC return(or that the NCAA violations are bad and we are screwed bc we will owe Ollie little to nothing).

Reaction Score
Ok if it is true, UConn better get the oxygen tank, stretcher, and the ambulance on standby on every game along with a competent doctor.

Reaction Score
Oh god...

Bringing back JC would be like what they did with Bowden at FSU...

Encased in a glass box with a sign..."Break glass in case of an ESPN docudrama or a bowl game"

Just insert "tournament" for "bowl"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn’t think Edsal would be back. Nothing would surprise me. I love Jim, but a move like this signals that the Athletic Department is unable to attract quality candidates either financiallyor other reasons.

Reaction Score
when does his season end in Finland? I doubt Omar will return before his pro season ends.

when does his season end in Finland? I doubt Omar will return before his pro season ends.

Even if Omar wanted to return I’m pretty sure the entire country is frozen soled and will remain so for several weeks, coldest place I have ever visited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't want us to do this to Calhoun. At most, he could be the associate head coach. But I don't see him wanting to do that.

If we get Hurley, I think their relationship is strong enough that Calhoun will re-engage strongly behind the scenes. And you know Hurley's father will. And I think we will see Blaney around too.

That is a great start for a brain trust. Now, here is where the details of Hurley's contract might matter. If he agrees to a reasonable guaranteed level of, say, 2 mill a year with big bonuses of, say, 500k for making the NCAAs, 1 mill for getting to the final four and 1.5 mill for winning the champiinship, he could see a path to P5 money while freeing up guaranteed money to hire a great staff. Then he could bring Moore with him, steal Hobbs from Rutgers and make one more good hire to fill in the gaps.

I think Hurley has promise and, if he surrounds himself with good people, he will be very successful and get those incentives. If he has P5 success, he will get P5 money. And the structure of his contract could enable him to do that.

Reaction Score
The last thing I want to do is to turn myself into a witness. Keeping a low profile and letting the litigation run its course. Chief’s predictions will return at the appropriate time.

Translation: “Chief’s predictions will return once the media starts reporting who our new coach is.” Then Chief will be able to tell us how it went down and how he had the inside scoop. I love having all the insider info, keep it coming Chief!

Reaction Score
I didn’t think Edsal would be back. Nothing would surprise me. I love Jim, but a move like this signals that the Athletic Department is unable to attract quality candidates either financiallyor other reasons.
I understand the Edsall hire because the football team won’t attract top coaches in there. The basketball team is different we can attract top coaches depends on how the AD sells it

Reaction Score
Do you think a guy like Ray Allen or Caron Butler would be interested in coaching with Calhoun for a year or 2? Calhoun probably wouldn’t be there long and I doubt Ray or Caron would want to be there for the long haul but it’d be interesting to see if they’d be interested in getting the program back on its feet/see if they have a long term interest in coaching.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you think a guy like Ray Allen or Caron Butler would be interested in coaching with Calhoun for a year or 2? Calhoun probably wouldn’t be there long and I doubt Ray or Caron would want to be there for the long haul but it’d be interesting to see if they’d be interested in getting the program back on its feet/see if they have a long term interest in coaching.
You mean, repeat the exact same formula that got us here?

Reaction Score
You mean, repeat the exact same formula that got us here?
Not as a head coach but as assistant coaches. Helping w player development. Definitely don’t want to go down the same road

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I, for one, would be elated. I get all the downsides, but if he commits to 3-4 year period (like Larry Brown whose same age), they will come. There are few Hall of Fame Coaches (let alone of JC’s caliber) that recruits would’nt jump on. JC can also point to all those first rounders and lottery picks he got to league. And, even in JC down years at end of his career, when coaches used his leaving and age against him, he still delivered ranked teams with results we would be all be drooling over today. The man is a legend, and if Larry Brown could take the slim pickings he walked into at SMU and deliver what he delivered, I am hopeful Calhoun can match or exceed with far better starting point. Plus, Uconn becomes relevant, prestige will return, and we will have no problem bringing in a top-notch coach later. I am stoked if this happens.

Ps. And you could bet Gampel and XL will be packed again. I myself would arrange at least three flights during the season all the way from California just to see that man coach in person again. Legend

I am not for JC coming back for a few reasons, but the Larry Brown argument is a good one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom