Calhoun Cancer Walk | The Boneyard

Calhoun Cancer Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun speaking at the Cancer Walk

Here is a pic of our group representing The Boneyard (the "little check" JC is holding indicates The Boneyard has donated $40,000 and counting to the Cardiology Center and the Cancer Walk in total).

P1020579_zpsa4a00737.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hey, my pedometer recorded 13,000 steps today. Now I can park in front of the tv for the rest of the night.

Reaction Score
I wanted to reach out and again say "thank you." It was nice to meet a few of you in person, whom I'd only known through e-mails, the Direct from Donors profile on our site, or various phone calls or texts.

As I am sure I inarticulately stated when I caught up with your group, this was a very special effort to me, to the Foundation, to the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, and to the UConn Health Center. When we started back in the fall, I don't think anyone knew the full potential of what your group was capable of. But you set a goal, nailed that goal, and kept going. This is, frankly, a model for how a "few" people can truly make a difference in the things that matter to them. That you not only showed up to be recognized for your generosity toward cardiology, but ranked so high raising money for cancer (also as a way of supporting Coach's passions) is inspirational.

I'm happy that so many of you got to meet Coach in person and be part of this effort; just as you were excited to meet him, it was exciting personally to me to meet and say thank you to you.

- John, UCF

P.S. I'm also glad several of you had a chance to ask Dr. Bruce Liang (director, Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center) in person if Deepster could try out a bypass pump.

P.S.S. Still 'no.'

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Most rewarding part was when we handed JC the check. He looked down, looked back up at everyone, and with a very sincere grin on his face said:

"Thats a big one!"

Thanks to every one of you who donated!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most rewarding part was when we handed JC the check. He looked down, looked back up at everyone, and with a very sincere grin on his face said:

"Thats a big one!"

Thanks to every one of you who donated!

I didn't quite hear what he said but I can vouch for the "very sincere grin". It was like he thought "Whoa!" on first glance.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Why does your camera hate me so? Wow. Must be the block pattern of the shirt and the pasty white skin.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hey Dove, at least you aren't F^#*ING BLINKING

Reaction Score
I wanted to reach out and again say "thank you." It was nice to meet a few of you in person, whom I'd only known through e-mails, the Direct from Donors profile on our site, or various phone calls or texts.

As I am sure I inarticulately stated when I caught up with your group, this was a very special effort to me, to the Foundation, to the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center, and to the UConn Health Center. When we started back in the fall, I don't think anyone knew the full potential of what your group was capable of. But you set a goal, nailed that goal, and kept going. This is, frankly, a model for how a "few" people can truly make a difference in the things that matter to them. That you not only showed up to be recognized for your generosity toward cardiology, but ranked so high raising money for cancer (also as a way of supporting Coach's passions) is inspirational.

I'm happy that so many of you got to meet Coach in person and be part of this effort; just as you were excited to meet him, it was exciting personally to me to meet and say thank you to you.

- John, UCF

P.S. I'm also glad several of you had a chance to ask Dr. Bruce Liang (director, Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center) in person if Deepster could try out a bypass pump.

P.S.S. Still 'no.'

I did not donate to the Cancer Walk or the Cardiology Center through the Boneyard's efforts. At least not yet. It is worth noting I have been an advocate for cure based research on a national level. Point being is I have a strong understanding of grassroots efforts and results driven advocacy relating to cancer, T1 diabetes (which I have) and a plethora of other chronic and debilitating diseases.

Yesterday I enjoyed the festivities with a great dog and my mother. Another family member volunteered at the event. For the record I would have preferred the Boneyard Group present the 40k check to JC on stage with the MC Joe D introducing the group so everyone in attendance was aware of this great effort and the group was recognized properly. This was done for Cigna and their check. It would not have taken long and could have inspired more small donors to a certain degree.

I have read the Boneyard message board for a few years and really enjoy some members posts. More importantly I respect the efforts of this donation drive in the name of coach Calhoun who is doing good things for cancer research in the state of Connecticut. Thanks coach....

Best
Bluedog

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I did not donate to the Cancer Walk or the Cardiology Center through the Boneyard's efforts. At least not yet. It is worth noting I have been an advocate for cure based research on a national level. Point being is I have a strong understanding of grassroots efforts and results driven advocacy relating to cancer, T1 diabetes (which I have) and a plethora of other chronic and debilitating diseases.

Yesterday I enjoyed the festivities with a great dog and my mother. Another family member volunteered at the event. For the record I would have preferred the Boneyard Group present the 40k check to JC on stage with the MC Joe D introducing the group so everyone in attendance was aware of this great effort and the group was recognized properly. This was done for Cigna and their check. It would not have taken long and could have inspired more small donors to a certain degree.

I have read the Boneyard message board for a few years and really enjoy some members posts. More importantly I respect the efforts of this donation drive in the name of coach Calhoun who is doing good things for cancer research in the state of Connecticut. Thanks coach....

Best
Bluedog

The primary goal of the effort last year to raise money for the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center was to recognize and show appreciation to Coach Calhoun by The Boneyard members. The choice of the best way to do that was made by efforts that allowed us to find out how Coach Calhoun would prefer it to be done. And WE (as in The Boneyard as a whole) did it. We caused a cardiac bypass pump to be purchased and to be used to help saving lives. The group dug deep and drew in some outside support and the group ended up being the 5th highest group in terms of contributions to the Cancer Challenge, directly aiding clinical trial research to move research forward step by step. The response was really amazing. Many of us who did participate at the event spoke to Coach personally and directly and expressed our thanks to him and he expressed his appreciation for what we, as a group, did for the Cardiology Center and the Cancer Challenge. We chose to do it the way we did. At the end, it was comfortable and met our goals and needs. We left feeling that we had represented The Boneyard and its great generosity well, had a good time, and most importantly, directly expressed our appreciation to Coach Calhoun.

Reaction Score
The primary goal of the effort last year to raise money for the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center was to recognize and show appreciation to Coach Calhoun by The Boneyard members. The choice of the best way to do that was made by efforts that allowed us to find out how Coach Calhoun would prefer it to be done. And WE (as in The Boneyard as a whole) did it. We caused a cardiac bypass pump to be purchased and to be used to help saving lives. The group dug deep and drew in some outside support and the group ended up being the 5th highest group in terms of contributions to the Cancer Challenge, directly aiding clinical trial research to move research forward step by step. The response was really amazing. Many of us who did participate at the event spoke to Coach personally and directly and expressed our thanks to him and he expressed his appreciation for what we, as a group, did for the Cardiology Center and the Cancer Challenge. We chose to do it the way we did. At the end, it was comfortable and met our goals and needs. We left feeling that we had represented The Boneyard and its great generosity well, had a good time, and most importantly, directly expressed our appreciation to Coach Calhoun.

Great job...All of you did fantastic. Congrats. You have a lot to be proud of.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coach Calhoun speaking at the Cancer Walk

Here is a pic of our group representing The Boneyard (the "little check" JC is holding indicates The Boneyard has donated $40,000 and counting to the Cardiology Center and the Cancer Walk in total).

P1020579_zpsa4a00737.jpg

Nice. So...I think I've got Dove, zls, Deep (and Mojo Baby) and Fishy. Who else?

Dove

Reaction Score
l to r:

Dove, Waquoit, Zack, Dogbreath2U, International Zone Caster(Gordon), Deep and Mojo Baby, Calhoun, Jonathan, jleves, Fishsticks, HuskyNan, Pateen (representing lurkers everywhere, and ThetaZoo.

Taking this pic was probably Friend of Waquoit or Mrs. jleves, or dad of jleves.

EDITED TO SHOW THAT WAQUOIT AIN'T MARRIED.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice. So...I think I've got Dove, zls, Deep (and Mojo Baby) and Fishy. Who else?
Well Nan, obviously. Anyone want to name left to right? Who is the guy in red who kind of looks like Kevin Bacon?

On edit: Ah okay, thanks. The vaguely annoyed look on Fishy's face is perfect.

Link to Courant article.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
l to r:

Dove, Waquoit, Zack, Dogbreath2U, International Zone Caster(Gordon), Deep and Mojo Baby, Calhoun, Jonathan, jleves, Fishsticks, HuskyNan, Pateen (representing lurkers everywhere, and ThetaZoo.

Taking this pic was probably Mrs. Waquoit or Mrs. jleves, or dad of jleves.
Thanks.

Sounds like it was a great day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just for record, Mrs. Waquoit is a nickname not a accurate description of marital status.

Dove

Reaction Score
Just for record, Mrs. Waquoit is a nickname not a accurate description of marital status.
Oh yeah. I remember btw Nancy and Mrs. jleves only one was a wife. My bad.

Mrs. Waquoit is really Friend of Waquoit.

Reaction Score
Why does your camera hate me so? Wow. Must be the block pattern of the shirt and the pasty white skin.
To be fair, you and Zach could have a tan-off in the "pasty white skin" marathon. Spoken by a white skinned Irish girl. ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Fishy hates cameras, making it all the more spectacular.

Also, its Puneet, not Pateen. Or call him Petey, he really hates that.

Puneet had the cutest baby that was so decked out in Husky-wear that it would have brought tears to the eyes of the truly fanatical fans. I regret not asking to take a picture....she was the essence of pure Husky mojo. With Deep's "mojo baby" half-way grown up and on the walk, the future looked good.

Reaction Score
l to r:

Taking this pic was probably Friend of Waquoit or Mrs. jleves, or dad of jleves.

EDITED TO SHOW THAT WAQUOIT AIN'T MARRIED.
If I had known that you were all just regular folks I would have come out a lot sooner...don't take this the wrong way.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If I had known that you were all just regular folks I would have come out a lot sooner...don't take this the wrong way.

We're just glad that you "came out" and joined in with the festivities (i.e. walking, sweating, walking, walking, talking, sweating, etc.). The rumors of team members not going all the way to the turnaround point are being investigated. They say that there is no such thing as a free lunch and in this case, I wish there wasn't. But, we weren't there to eat, just to walk, sweat, walk, etc.

I expect that Fishy may take offense at being lumped in with the regular folks, but it is good for him to do so at least once every 2-3 years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Dove, you look like you are wearing a flak jacket in that one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The primary goal of the effort last year to raise money for the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center was to recognize and show appreciation to Coach Calhoun by The Boneyard members. The choice of the best way to do that was made by efforts that allowed us to find out how Coach Calhoun would prefer it to be done. And WE (as in The Boneyard as a whole) did it. We caused a cardiac bypass pump to be purchased and to be used to help saving lives. The group dug deep and drew in some outside support and the group ended up being the 5th highest group in terms of contributions to the Cancer Challenge, directly aiding clinical trial research to move research forward step by step. The response was really amazing.

For the record, I'm not done.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well Nan, obviously. Anyone want to name left to right? Who is the guy in red who kind of looks like Kevin Bacon?

On edit: Ah okay , thanks. The vaguely annoyed look on Fishy's face is perfect.

Link to Courant article.

LMAO. Either that or Gary Busey. We actually had this discussion at the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom