Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Isn't Calipari the guy who told a St. John's recruit that their coach was dying? I doubt he needs to cheat at Kentucky, but still ...

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but I kind of side with Cal here. His response is pretty exaggerated saying he gets any player he wants, but if your a coach and your going around saying another coach is cheating you better have some proof or at least stand by your word when confronted.

Not really related, but reminds me of the time Mick flipped out at the AAC awards banquet when Shabazz won POY over Kilpatrick. Mick stormed out with his player running his mouth saying it was BS and that real heroes are made in March. Well, everyone here remembers how that one played out...

Yup I agree with this, its fine for a feeble fan like one of us to say "CAL is cheating!!!! he will pay one day and so will you Kentucky!!!!" but when you're a head coach it has to be something you never let slip in public, and only in private drinking sessions do you truly let your guard down and be honest about something like that. It's fine for him to think it but its less than classy to let it get out

Reaction Score
When we beat Kentucky for the championship, Squid said that (and I'm paraphrasing) "I knew they were good, I recruited all those kids."
I could be wrong, but I don't believe he ever offered one of them. He cannot take any criticism and is sleazier than anyone running for president.

Reaction Score
huskyblooz said:
When we beat Kentucky for the championship, Squid said that (and I'm paraphrasing) "I knew they were good, I recruited all those kids." I could be wrong, but I don't believe he ever offered one of them. He cannot take any criticism and is sleazier than anyone running for president.

He may have recruited them and never offered. He brings in lots of guys for official visits and never offers.

Reaction Score
I like what Cal did with Mick I do, I just hate that it's Cal. Pretty simple and the fact he is and was so arrogant makes it a sleazy response. If it was Mick vs Wright or something I would say hooray for Jay. This is just isn't a "hooray moment".

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day. If I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him.

'Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.'

Anyone else read that and think if the squid wasn't a basketball coach he could be running protection scams for the mob?

Sounds like he should be working for Hillary's campaign

Reaction Score
Look, I hate Cal just as much as anyone else. I hate the way he runs his programs with constant 1 and done's. I hate the way he addresses the media and downplays how good his teams are. I hate the way the constantly lowers the expectations for his teams so he can stand atop the mountain when they overachieve. Assuming he doesn't cheat, which every program does in the nation despite what you think, the fact that he can pull away top recruits from major programs speaks to his recruiting efforts and relation to his kids....did i mention i hate him and hes a cheater?

Reaction Score
Not sure why he is bragging about his ability to lure underage boys to him, but if he wants to brag about it let him.

Reaction Score
I doubt he needs to cheat at Kentucky, but still ...
This has been said so many times by so many people that it has been assumed to be true. The problem is that no one really knows for sure how true it is. I don't think any of the top kids give a crap about the Kentucky history or wildcat lounge. I think the squid still needs to cheat his arse off to get the kids that are solely focused on the NBA. If Cronin didn't hit too close to home, the squid would have ignored him. The ego on this guy is something else. He sees himself as some sort of Darth Vader of college basketball. Vader had skills. The squid is more like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

Reaction Score
We need to give Cal his due but also understand Kentucky is a draw and always was. Add Squid as an appetizer in Lexington and it's recruiting on steroids unfortunately. Kids and their support teams believe hype, some that is real and some not so real.

Reaction Score
This has been said so many times by so many people that it has been assumed to be true. The problem is that no one really knows for sure how true it is. I don't think any of the top kids give a crap about the Kentucky history or wildcat lounge. I think the squid still needs to cheat his arse off to get the kids that are solely focused on the NBA. If Cronin didn't hit too close to home, the squid would have ignored him. The ego on this guy is something else. He sees himself as some sort of Darth Vader of college basketball. Vader had skills. The squid is more like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

The best part about Calipari is that he drives guys like you crazy.

Reaction Score

I would have liked this post, then you insulted Darth Vader and Joe Pesci.;)

Reaction Score
If Kentucky was enough by itself to draw in the best players, then Tubby Smith would still be there. I don't know what Calipari does to get so many top kids, but he's done it at every stop, so it's him.

This point is not true.

He did not get top guys at UMass. He was always a solid recruiter; however, this is a confluence of Calipari at a top 3-5 Program that has produced results. And, his pitch is NOW carefully sculpted to get these top kid - plus the adoring fanbase, the luxury living quarters, the Pro atmosphere, and other benefits. (not saying its cheating) He has grown through UMass to Memphis to UK. If his goal really is placing all these kids in the NBA, he has done rather well. (however, I think that too self-effacing ... Cal is in for the greater glory of Cal)

Reaction Score
This point is not true.

He did not get top guys at UMass. He was always a solid recruiter; however, this is a confluence of Calipari at a top 3-5 Program that has produced results. And, his pitch is NOW carefully sculpted to get these top kid - plus the adoring fanbase, the luxury living quarters, the Pro atmosphere, and other benefits. (not saying its cheating) He has grown through UMass to Memphis to UK. If his goal really is placing all these kids in the NBA, he has done rather well. (however, I think that too self-effacing ... Cal is in for the greater glory of Cal)

He wasn't quite as good at UMass, but he was certainly pulling in elite recruits at Memphis. Kentucky certainly helps, but my point is this: Calipari recruited better at a mid-major than Smith did at Kentucky. It may not be entirely him, but it's mostly him.

Reaction Score
He wasn't quite as good at UMass, but he was certainly pulling in elite recruits at Memphis. Kentucky certainly helps, but my point is this: Calipari recruited better at a mid-major than Smith did at Kentucky. It may not be entirely him, but it's mostly him.

So is Pastner.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Cronin is a weasel and Calipari is a slime bucket. What Cronin is crying about here is no different than when John Chaney (after spending years recruiting Rasheed Wallace, who was from Chaney's old neighborhood) complained that Dean Smith landed him without having to put much effort into it. When a kid has the choice of the bright lights in Lexington or playing for Cronin in Cincy it isn't a fair fight.

I will however always resent when prior to the 2011 final four Calipari said something to the effect of "If I knew Kemba was that good I would have recruited him." as if Cal showing up with an offer would have landed Kemba in Memphis. For the record that is only one of many things that I will always resent Calipari for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom