Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He may not have recruited elite players at UMASS but he certainly recruited good players. I hated UMASS when Cal was there, but I have to admit, they were damn good. Relentless defenders, good shooters and tough rebounders.

If anything, Cal has lost a step as far as coaching goes. Back then, I thought he was a great coach. He's become a great recruiter but a really marginal game coach.

Reaction Score
Pastner had one really nice class that ended up being a complete disaster. He's not recruiting as well as Calipari did there, by a long shot.
Yeah, let's not forget that Cal had Cousins already committed to Memphis before he left for UK, and in all likelihood would have brought in Bledsoe & Wall, too. Cal also brought in Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans at Memphis. Only active player that pastner has in the NBA right now is Will Barton (and maybe Adonis Thomas - not sure).

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the suspected role WWW played in UK/Cal's quantum leap in recruiting? How did this ball start rolling so fast after Cal's hire?

Reaction Score
Pastner had one really nice class that ended up being a complete disaster. He's not recruiting as well as Calipari did there, by a long shot.

Let's not deny Pastner as a rookie coach having very solid success year in year out at that school. UK and Memphis are not on the same level of programs so it's relative. Maybe not Cal / UK like but he recruited really well for a program undeserving of the most part. Seems the Dana Kirk thing never got that far away from there. Of course the recruiting will decrease for him as he proves he's not a very good coach also.

I gave Cal his due but to deny coaching UK doesn't help in a big way is ridiculous.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Can anyone explain the suspected role WWW played in UK/Cal's quantum leap in recruiting? How did this ball start rolling so fast after Cal's hire?
It is widely known that Cal and WWW are close friends and I believe he is the secret to Cal's success. How else can he get multiple AA level guys to line up to play less minutes behind equally talented guys? WWW is a reknowned agent and scout and is responsible for leading lots of these guys to Cal and the NBA by either giving them draft guarentees from GMs and/or promising them representation upon being drafted. In a way he is Cal's "bag man", not saying money is being exchanged, but it wouldn't surprise me and there have been several rumors about some of his guys since he's been at Memphis (Davis, Rose, Wall).

Hell, having Drake who is a god to these kids at midnight madness is a huge recruiting draw alone. Drakes latest song makes a huge shoutout to WWW in the very first line, and these kids are all listening. Cal's MO is glitz and glamour, come play at UK, hide your flaws on a loaded team and be treated like a demigod.

Reaction Score
WWW and Drake make a difference for sure, but Cal still has to get some credit for creating this aura of a man the kids and their supporters love. Hate to say it he still is king right now - why? WTF knows but he made them believers somehow.

Reaction Score
WWW is a reknowned agent and scout and is responsible for leading lots of these guys to Cal and the NBA by either giving them draft guarentees from GMs and/or promising them representation upon being drafted.

You realize this doesn't make any sense, right? What is this scheme you are describing?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You realize this doesn't make any sense, right? What is this scheme you are describing?
Obviously the exact details aren't published reading, but it's been widely rumored that WWW makes big promises of signing bonuses and affiliation with apparel companies like Nike to kids who agree to play ball. These bonuses may come before they enter UK, but they most likely are promises made for once they enter the draft. "Come to UK, play a year, get drafted by X at the latest according to my sources, and you have a Nike contract waiting for you. All you have to do is play for Cal and agree to sign with us when you are drafted".

It may seem like it's not worth the trouble, but once you see guys like Wall, and Cousins becoming superstars, and Davis looking like the next all-time great, you can see how it can be a lucrative relationship.

Reaction Score
No, we don't. He made his bones by smearing UConn. Smears that gained traction and hurt us. Time ain't ever gonna heal that for me.
Yep. He is, and always has been, a huge and he deserves every steaming pile thrown at him by UConn fans. The fact that it irks his biggest fan, McCrackhead, makes it even more satisfying.

Reaction Score
Obviously the exact details aren't published reading, but it's been widely rumored that WWW makes big promises of signing bonuses and affiliation with apparel companies like Nike to kids who agree to play ball. These bonuses may come before they enter UK, but they most likely are promises made for once they enter the draft. "Come to UK, play a year, get drafted by X at the latest according to my sources, and you have a Nike contract waiting for you. All you have to do is play for Cal and agree to sign with us when you are drafted".

It may seem like it's not worth the trouble, but once you see guys like Wall, and Cousins becoming superstars, and Davis looking like the next all-time great, you can see how it can be a lucrative relationship.
Only the most delusional ,spineless, head-in-the-sand basketball fan doesn't see what happened with Rose as incredibly obvious.

Reaction Score

So William Wesley gets Anthony Davis to Kentucky by promising him a Nike contract when he leaves? Well thank god he went to Kentucky because otherwise he'd probably be wearing British Knights.

There's a million things you can say about WWW and Cal but the "scheme" as you're describing it makes literally no sense. According to you, they're promising superstars things that they're going to get anyway. You gotta think a little bit harder.

Reaction Score
Gosh and here I was assuming that all the BY posters actually followed basketball!

I'm curious, what does your counseling degree from that unaccredited university tell you about your sarcasm? Nothing good I would imagine.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you co-sign the other dude's nonsense. I wonder if you guys are allowed to live alone yet.

Reaction Score
Yep. He is, and always has been, a huge and he deserves every steaming pile thrown at him by UConn fans. The fact that it irks his biggest fan, McCrackhead, makes it even more satisfying.

Yup. I'm the one that sounds delusional and irked.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
So William Wesley gets Anthony Davis to Kentucky by promising him a Nike contract when he leaves? Well thank god he went to Kentucky because otherwise he'd probably be wearing British Knights.

There's a million things you can say about WWW and Cal but the "scheme" as you're describing it makes literally no sense. According to you, they're promising superstars things that they're going to get anyway. You gotta think a little bit harder.
So then who is WWW and why do we, a bunch of random UConn fans online know his name and of some mysterious association to Kentucky? Why was he in the UK locker room with Jay Z in the 2014 title pregame?

I understand that these kids are going to be good and that they really don't need to look hard for these deals but the point is getting in early with them. What way to get unobstructed access to the best future NBA stars than right out of high school when they are the most impressionable. If things were to be played "by the books", then on draft day there will be over 20 agents and agencies trying to win these guys as clients, drastically decreasing WWW's chances. This way it's a pipeline for these guys to go straight into the NBA and into their system. There's a reason they get almost every guy they want, and are simultaneously so selective with their offers, they only want the most NBA ready guys.

You have the right to be skeptical about WWW's level of involvement with UK, but you can't deny that there is SOME LEVEL of involvement. The mystery isn't who WWW is, he is considered the most influential sports broker in basketball, but how "friendly" he is with Cal. A simple Google search will take you farther than making 4 straight posts being condescending and snarky to people having an on topic discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gosh and here I was assuming that all the BY posters actually followed basketball!
Oh, they do. It is just that many of them don't have the spine to see it for the filthy and flawed sport that it is. Either that or they are closet Calipari fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom