Cal Post-Game | The Boneyard

Cal Post-Game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the Cal game:
  • The game went about the way I thought it would. It wasn’t pretty but UConn got the win. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the 1st game of 2016-17 vs FL St when the Huskies needed a blocked shot by Pheesa in the last few seconds to hold onto a 2-pt win.
  • The Aussie for Cal is one hell of a shooter.
  • Clearly, Megan and Christyn will be depended on to take control on offense when the going gets tough.
  • Liv wasn’t perfect, but she did a little bit of everything, filled up the stat sheet and she wasn’t matched up against munchkins.
  • While Kyla started the game, I’m still not sure who the 5th starter is yet. Of the 3 candidates, Aubrey generally contributed the most IMO with her defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Final Stats:

1573415586667.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
2 points and 3 rebounds from that 4th position just doesn't get it. Yes, defensively they had some issues. But that stat just jumps off the page.

Reaction Score
  • The game went about the way I thought it would. It wasn’t pretty but UConn got the win. In some ways, it reminded me a little of the 1st game of 2016-17 vs FL St when the Huskies needed a blocked shot by Pheesa in the last few seconds to hold onto a 2-pt win.
  • Clearly, Megan and Christyn will be depended on to take control on offense when the going gets tough.
  • Liv wasn’t perfect, but she did a little bit of everything, filled up the stat sheet and she wasn’t matched up against munchkins.
  • While Kyla started the game, I’m still not sure who the 5th starter is yet. Of the 3 candidates, Aubrey generally contributed the most IMO with her defense and rebounding.
Very disappointed in how they played. Can’t believe how many open threes Cal got. Where was our perimeter defense? Outside of Griffin, what did the bench contribute.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We should have easily won this game by 20+ and if we had shot a little better in the first half, we would have. Weren't we below 30% well into the first half?
Hopefully this isn't going to be a problem going forward but it sure might be.
As someone else pointed out, we NEED a better performance by the 4 position game in and game out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That 5th starter spot just might be a game time decision until someone steps up and claims it. We need more production from that spot than we got today. I thought Aubrey did well in her first game against Div 1 competition. The more she plays, the sooner the game will slow down for her, and the more confident she will become.

The answer to the question of who will replace the scoring of Pheesa and Lou is..............................Christyn and Megan. With additional help and support from Dangerfield. It was touch and go for ONO today, but she notched her first double-double of the season against a player that was taller, older and much more experienced.

I'll wait until after the Ohio State game (5th game) to draw any conclusions. Should be an interesting film session tomorrow for the team. ONO had several nice blocks today, but she MUST employ a different technique. That "fly swatting" technique she uses has to go. Employing that technique and playing extended minutes are contradictory to each other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched the entire game like I'm sure most did..

Megatron and Williams will fight for the scoring title all season long. Love what I seen from Walker today. She was maybe 0-6 in shot attempts in the first alone, I'd figured she'd force it but she let the game come to her and ended up shooting 50% from the field. Those 14 third quarter points for her are just what we needed to see that she'll rise to the occasion against Power 5 D1 teams. #11 on Cal lit Christyn's butt up today. I think Crystal guarded her too at times, but this doesn't bold well if our guards CAN'T GUARD. Liv had a couple silly fouls for being out of position but overall I am proud of her game. She really is more of a face-up 4 than a true 5, but as Coach says we have no one else that can do what she does, and her passing ability is awesome for her size. Liv's 4 for 15 can be improved, as she took a few shots I think she shouldn't have.

Dangerfield was clutch in that dismal first quarter, I loved seeing her calming her teammates down with her steady play. Aubrey showed flashes on the defensive end, and as to be expected that's all we can rely on right now... We'll get better, I'm sure of it.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I saw Anna, not Aubrey, as a force.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That 5th starter spot just might be a game time decision until someone steps up and claims it. We need more production from that spot than we got today. I though Aubrey did well in her first game against Div 1 competition. The more she plays, the faster the game will slow down for, and the more confident she will become.

The answer to the question of who will replace the scoring of Pheesa and Lou is..............................Christyn and Megan. With additional help and support from Dangerfield. It was touch and go for ONO today, but she notched her first double-double of the season against a player that was taller, older and much more experienced than her.
Liv was terrific today. She was very active, passing extremely well, and going strong to the hoop. The SOPHOMORE player has made tremendous strides and her upside is evident

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
More accurate free throw shooting and better defense on the Aussie player and the game would not have been close. They almost averaged the twenty points a quarter to get to eighty. If they can average eighty points a game, they will win thirty games again. UConn will need more offense from Dangerfield until a fifth scorer emerges. Griffin blocked some shots and had tipped a few passes. She will be really good before the season is half way over. I'm watching South Carolina nd Maryland and they do not look any better than UConn did today.

Reaction Score
I would have loved seeing Aubrey on that shooter [11] with shut down instructions from Geno.
I give Geno the edge but Tara is up there and she might have more horses. The 20-21 to 24-25 seasons will be Stanford vs UConn for NC.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed in how they played. Can’t believe how many open threes Cal got. Where was our perimeter defense? Outside of Griffin, what did the bench contribute.

The bench had 2 points.

More? Apparently the entire team has been told to go under all screens when a 3 pt shooter has the ball.

More? UConn MISSED 12 of 23 layups!!!! That's bad for an 8th grade team.

More? 13-21 at the ft line.

Finally: What really stunk was all the standing around and lack of motion. Honestly, it looked to me like Westbrook has convinced Geno to hire Holly Warlick to redesign the UConn offense. Too harsh?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Liv was terrific today. She was very active, passing extremely well, and going strong to the hoop. The SOPHOMORE player has made tremendous strides and her upside is evident

Agreed. I'm the "self proclaimed" president of the Olivia Nelson-Ododa fan club. ;) I paid particular attention to her and Griffin while they were on the floor. ONO's play and decision making will get better as she gets comfortable operating from the top of the key. At some point, I expect to see her start hitting jumpers from there like Dolson used to. Her passing was was very good from there today, and will only get better as the season rolls along.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom