Cal Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Cal Game Thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think if Meg gets some decent minutes her game will really take off.....she has the tools and the mentality to play a major role for the team this year....
I agree. She's tying to avoid the Wrath of Khan, er, Geno. I thought she could have taken her defender off the dribble several times tonight.

She has a good post-up in which she had her defender sealed, but Z didn't get her the ball. I think Z saw it a little too late.

Reaction Score
IMO Walker is dang near just as athletic as Gabby. She is very explosive. She rebounds very well and can push the ball. She has a very long wing span too.
She needs to start finishing as she drives to the basket (open jumpers too). But I can see why there is much talk about her potential.

Reaction Score
I agree. She's tying to avoid the Wrath of Khan, er, Geno. I thought she could have taken her defender off the dribble several times tonight.

She has a good post-up in which she had her defender sealed, but Z didn't get her the ball. I think Z saw it a little too late.

I think I've pin pointed what confuses people about MW. What is she?? We knew that KML and KLS were at lethal three point shooters and we saw early signs of that, we knew DT was tough as nails and maya had this effortless flow and we saw these qualities early. Even danger we saw at Baylor what she was to become.
Right now we look at MW and she doesn't appear to be a lethal shooter, powerful force on the boards, future floor general etc....

I know freshman take time to adapt to the quicker paced college game. I'm also positive MW will be fantastic in due time. I do think though overall number one recruits are held to a higher standard. Especially ones that attend uconn. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not.

Reaction Score
Bad giveaway by Molly (soph.) and missed layups by Mikayla and Meg, but they played hard.

I was laughing when the commentator said the freshman call themselves the fab 4 or something like that?!! The freshman can barely make a layup out there and they've minted there class fabulous or famous. Ha ha. A bit early to self proclaim your class no??!

Reaction Score
I was laughing when the commentator said the freshman call themselves the fab 4 or something like that?!! The freshman can barely make a layup out there and they've minted there class fabulous or famous. Ha ha. A bit early to self proclaim your class no??!
The freshmen call themselves the fantastic four. I doubt it's because they think they are all that fantastic, but just trying to come up with a nickname to bond over. Nothing more. History says the four of them won't graduate together, but we shall see.

Reaction Score
The freshmen call themselves the fantastic four. I doubt it's because they think they are all that fantastic, but just trying to come up with a nickname to bond over. Nothing more. History says the four of them won't graduate together, but we shall see.

I quickly thought of the last two female Olympic gymnastics teams i believe they coined them selves the fab five and final five. But then I remembered they won the gold metal and were proven elite athletes. Just a bit premature. All good though. I just thought it was funny when the guy said that.

Reaction Score
I thought Molly did ok overall, but when Cal trapped her, she gave the ball away. After that, she was cautious bringing the ball up the court.

I like Mikayla's speed, but she needs to make that layup.

Lexi needed to make her FTs. That should be the easiest part of the game now.

Meg's shooting was off, but the other aspects of her game looked pretty good. She too should have made her layup.
Backcourt is very thin at this time. I think a freshman will need to emerge during season.

Reaction Score
I think I've pin pointed what confuses people about MW. What is she?? .......Right now we look at MW and she doesn't appear to be a lethal shooter, powerful force on the boards, future floor general etc.......
Well I will use some of the logic and reasoning that we use here at the BY- trust the expert(s).

Geno obviously sees/has seen things that you or I have not. Her skills are as such that she is playing off the bench ahead of two upperclassmen. He thinks highly enough of her and her shooting that he's on camera complimenting her (tonight's All Access). Could he be giving false praise?

Similar comments were levied against Plum and her performance early to mid season during her rookie campaign. The consensus was to give her time, she will catch on; she has to be allowed to adjust and learn to play on the next level. I think the same applies here.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I've pin pointed what confuses people about MW. What is she?? We knew that KML and KLS were at lethal three point shooters and we saw early signs of that, we knew DT was tough as nails and maya had this effortless flow and we saw these qualities early. Even danger we saw at Baylor what she was to become.
Right now we look at MW and she doesn't appear to be a lethal shooter, powerful force on the boards, future floor general etc....

I know freshman take time to adapt to the quicker paced college game. I'm also positive MW will be fantastic in due time. I do think though overall number one recruits are held to a higher standard. Especially ones that attend uconn. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not.
Meg is pretty good to good at almost everything. She may not be great at anything--yet. I was pleased that she nailed her FTs. Her body and movement are those of an elite athlete.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But . . . have you noticed that several times already (counting exhibitions) she has chosen to pull up for a short jumper rather than fullback her way to the basket. That's encouraging.

Molly is a likable kid, and certainly plays with passion and intensity...but based on tonight...if we have to rely on her for more that spot duty, than the team is in trouble.

She mishandled the ball several times. made misguided passes and was not a scoring threat. She worked hard on D but was not particularly effective.

I had hoped for more progress.

Reaction Score
I thought Molly did ok overall.. .... was cautious bringing the ball up the court.
I like Mikayla's speed, but she needs to make that layup. Lexi needed to make her FTs. That should be the easiest part of the game now.
Meg's shooting was off, but the other aspects of her game looked pretty good. She too should have made her layup.

I think if M.Bent saw the ball swish once during a game she would settle down and score a few points. She passed up a couple of drives and open shots. Her jumper looked good so I think she may be tentative trying to to foul things up.

What happened with Irwin? Out of all others (except AS) I thought she would be the surprise impact player. Last year whenever she received playing time she was very steady, never rushed. She played good defense and just about always scored 3-to-6 pts.

To be honest, I don't think any of the rotations have a good rhythm or flow playing together. Geno has changed the offensive schemes and everyone is adjusting. The freshman/sophomores (except CD) are suffering the most.

Reaction Score
Azura bricked a trey, Megan bricked a trey, and Crystal shot an airball--but Crystal Dangerfield made 4 others. She's 10-12 from the arc on the season!

With all them bricks Geno could build a doghouse. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well I will use some of the logic and reasoning that we use here at the BY- trust the expert(s).

Geno obviously sees/has seen things that you or I have not. Her skills are as such that she is playing off the bench ahead of two upperclassmen. He thinks highly enough of her and her shooting that he's on camera complimenting her (tonight's All Access). Could he be giving false praise?

Similar comments were levied against Plum and her performance early to mid season during her rookie campaign. The consensus was to give her time, she will catch on; she has to be allowed to adjust and learn to play on the next level. I think the same applies here.

I have no doubt she will flourish and develop into a solid player

Reaction Score
Agreed! Lou is a MUST HAVE... she was all over the court tonight until... and in my view would have scored 20+ and likely been our player of the game tonight... Although Z is an excellent replacement for Lou, losing her for any "extended" length of time shortens the bench and substitution options in the more challenging/difficult games. I believe they will be fine vs MD and give Lou another couple days rest/recovery... but when we see the top rated teams we're going to need Sweet Lou!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!!
To me 2 players have near term potential for playing more minutes: Walker and AEH. However, if one considers the timing of when a player comes off the bench as an indication of Geno's trust; then Molly must be considered in that group.

Reaction Score
There are VPN apps - you get onto a network that basically fools the provider into thinking you're out of area. I don't have the details, but others here can help you out. (If I was being blacked out I'd be all over it)
Try NBC Sports app

Reaction Score
Yes! I thought the same thing. Molly is actually a key player right now. Factoring out injuries, the team's biggest weakness seems to be quality depth at guard.
Molly still has a lot of learning to do but with game time she could be a lessor Faris.
I thought Molly did ok overall, but when Cal trapped her, she gave the ball away. After that, she was cautious bringing the ball up the court.

I like Mikayla's speed, but she needs to make that layup.

Lexi needed to make her FTs. That should be the easiest part of the game now.

If Molly were any other player, after the trap, Geno would have pulled her. She handled the point well most of the time--praise be to heaven--she threw up a 3, ran around the rim and off--but good shot. Geno see's things in her, that's obvious when you consider when she comes off the bench.
Walker is the real deal. Good IQ, she defended better than expected, rebounded--as Geno is prone to say: Do the little things, the shooting for a shooter shall come (or word to that effect)
I'm waiting for Lexi and Coomb's to show what they are made of; they are frosh
Some thought Irwin should have arrived on the court before the frosh--she did before Gordon. (Lexi-doing kennel duty?)
The quality of depth will improve with more game experience, Walker, AEH and Molly have potential.
You and I saw the same good and not so good in the game.
Kia and Crystal were superb. Azura got going in the second half. Did you see her and Anegwe laughing as they pumped and pushed each other, friend?
Gabby--wow! That's all Wow. Precious became Napheesa after Katie Lou went out--I was worried but Collier will be alright.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The defense was Devastating. Cal was punched and knocked down and never got up. This years version of UConns defense is off the charts good. We will see Sunday against MD. MD is usually pretty good but plays inconsistent defense. Sunday could be another early knock out punch.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately MW's extra playing time may come sooner then we thought depending on KLS's injury..........it may take a year or two to improve her long range game but the rest of her game is there...........she should average 10/5/3 if given 15-20 minutes

Reaction Score
Megan needs to find her range, seems to be pressing a bit.
If I remember correctly, Lou's first few Frosh games were not a thing of beauty. Poor shooting and limited defense. Just like Lou, suspect that once Walker gets some meaningful, predictable minutes, things will turn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Lou's first few Frosh games were not a thing of beauty. Poor shooting and limited defense. Just like Lou, suspect that once Walker gets some meaningful, predictable minutes, things will turn.
Yeah, I think Lou the sharpshooter took a while to find her groove.

Here are her shooting and 3-point shooting stats from the start of her career:

Ohio State 1-3, 0-2

Kansas State 2-8, 1-7

Nebraska 5-8, 2-4

Chattanooga 2-9, 1-5

DePaul 4-6, 2-4

Games 3 and 5 were solid, but games 1, 2, and 4 were clunkers.

Reaction Score

Her athleticism is elite. She can defend nearly 4 positions. She IS Gabby-like only not as good as Gabby right now. You might not appreciate it at the moment because she can do what Gabby does but not as well. For her size she has combination of strength and power for a freshman that is outstanding for a frosh that is 6'1. Look at her body and her overall quickness and her handle - and you've seen Geno play her at the 4 and yet she handles the ball amazing for 6'1. When she gets into the weight room - and with her handle she will be terrific. She is 6'1 with a great handle.

I think you are being too harsh. She has two limitations in terms of shooting and her youth. That's the only things I see. I see another Gabby here - not as strong but more guard-like that will be able to defend nearly anything from 1- to stretch 4 's once she hits the weight room. Maybe even 4's. I think her handle for being 6'1 is outstanding. And in the open court BOTH ball in her hands and without the ball - I think she will be outstanding. What Meg is terrific at is different than what we've had with others. She is a great athlete with excellent size for a wing with guard-like ball-handling skills. As a number 1 recruit she is going to influence the game much better on the defensive side of the floor than what KML or Lou was able to do. Defense turns to offense.

Reaction Score
Her athleticism is elite. She can defend nearly 4 positions. She IS Gabby-like only not as good as Gabby right now. You might not appreciate it at the moment because she can do what Gabby does but not as well. For her size she has combination of strength and power for a freshman that is outstanding for a frosh that is 6'1. Look at her body and her overall quickness and her handle - and you've seen Geno play her at the 4 and yet she handles the ball amazing for 6'1. When she gets into the weight room - and with her handle she will be terrific. She is 6'1 with a great handle.

I think you are being too harsh. She has two limitations in terms of shooting and her youth. That's the only things I see. I see another Gabby here - not as strong but more guard-like that will be able to defend nearly anything from 1- to stretch 4 's once she hits the weight room. Maybe even 4's. I think her handle for being 6'1 is outstanding. And in the open court BOTH ball in her hands and without the ball - I think she will be outstanding. What Meg is terrific at is different than what we've had with others. She is a great athlete with excellent size for a wing with guard-like ball-handling skills. As a number 1 recruit she is going to influence the game much better on the defensive side of the floor than what KML or Lou was able to do. Defense turns to offense.

Good post. My goal is not to be harsh or overly critical. I'm sure she will be great when she's ready. My issue was after very very limited times seeing her play I didn't know what her sweet spot was as I did the other number one players uconn landed.
That's all. I wish her the best and I know she will be fine.

Reaction Score
Good post. My goal is not to be harsh or overly critical. I'm sure she will be great when she's ready. My issue was after very very limited times seeing her play I didn't know what her sweet spot was as I did the other number one players uconn landed.
That's all. I wish her the best and I know she will be fine.

IMO her sweet spot is her athleticism and handle for a player her size. On defense for example you know Lou and KMl had quickness issues. With Stewie she could get pushed around. With Walker - her defense and athleticism fits right in. SHe won't get consistently pushed around like Stewie did. Or won't get busted off the dribble as much as KML or Lou could in that you would have had to hide them more vs the quicker players. You don't have to hide Walker from anyone around her range. And neither KML nor Lou could lead a fatsbreak at the other end. Even Maya couldn't do it well. Walker can. You can see how she handles the ball. Teams that try to crash the boards are going to pay a price once UCONN / Walker get going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom