C Edsall’s Contract (...and Dad’s too) Updated Monday Afternoon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

C Edsall’s Contract (...and Dad’s too) Updated Monday Afternoon

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The ethics commission is agreeing not to pursue Randy for any of the alleged actions that he negotiated a contract for Corey while he was a state employee," said Louis George, Edsall's attorney. "That being off the table, we think is a great thing."

I'm surprised that this came as quickly as it did given the ethics board's intransigence in this matter, but it is the right result. UConn is still pursuing a determination of REv2's start date for precedent. My guess is that the ethics board did not believe it could sustain it's creation of a fictional start date, prior to the actual date stated in the contract. I suspect UConn doesn't either, that's why they are pursuing a determination.

UConn claims to have a management plan that removes Randy Edsall from a place of influence over Corey’s career advancement and potential earnings. The Board on Tuesday called UConn’s management plan “a sham.”

Having abandoned the fictional starting date that they established, the board is now left with disproving the management plan that UConn put in place. I doubt that they will be any more successful there.

Reaction Score
The key reason for the ethics law is to prevent unqualified individuals from benefiting financially. Corey is both qualified and paid below market value. This shouldn’t be a difficult decision. There was clearly no intent to help him get something undeserved. The legislature needs to draft some new language, but Corey should be permitted to stay.

Folks here have argued Edsall wouldn’t have been hired for any other head coaching job (highly debatable) but nobody has ever argued that Corey couldn’t have gotten this same job at a number of other schools.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The key reason for the ethics law is to prevent unqualified individuals from benefiting financially. Corey is both qualified and paid below market value. This shouldn’t be a difficult decision. There was clearly no intent to help him get something undeserved. The legislature needs to draft some new language, but Corey should be permitted to stay.

Folks here have argued Edsall wouldn’t have been hired for any other head coaching job (highly debatable) but nobody has ever argued that Corey couldn’t have gotten this same job at a number of other schools.
Really? What was the job market for Corey Edsall?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Here's his resume from UCONN athletic site:

In his first season at UConn, Corey Edsall will be in charge of the tight ends.

Edsall spent two seasons on the Colorado football staff, 2016 was his first as a graduate assistant working with the defense. He joined the program in 2015 and worked as a football intern. In 2016, he was part of the biggest turn around season in PAC-12 history. The Buffaloes went 10-4 (8-1) and won the PAC-12 South Championship and appeared in the 2016 PAC-12 Championship game against the Washington Huskies.

Edsall, 24, has spent two summers as a scouting intern in a pair of National Football League training camps, New England in 2013 and Philadelphia in 2014.

He graduated with his bachelor's degree in Family Science from the University of Maryland in 2015. In 2011 he started out as a freshman at Syracuse University, where he played quarterback for coach Doug Marrone, but then transferred to Maryland. At Maryland, he worked three years (2012-14) as a student assistant on the offensive side of the ball, and staffed a pair of bowl games with the Terrapins (2013 Military, 2014 Foster Farms).

So you're saying he could obtain a position-coach job at a FBS school right after one year as a grad assistant on defense at Colorado? For a higher salary than what his father obtained for him? D.J. Hernandez has a better resume and he, like a bunch of other former players, are out coaching high school teams in their mid-20's.

CL82

Reaction Score

Not so much. I've never researched it, but I'd guess that it's intention is prevent CT employees from benefiting from their position inappropriately. This particular provision seems aimed at preventing a manager from acting unilaterally to employ, maintain, and set the pay rates of family members.

In REv2's case, none of these things were done, or can be done without the review and authorization of a superior. The provisions's application to the this set of facts is a bad fit.

Reaction Score
Okay, so ONE person has (unsuccessfully) argued he wasn't qualified.

Son of a coach, two summers interning in the NFL, 2 years as a grad assistant, 3 years as a student-assistant. Yeah, I'd say that qualifies him for his first shot at coaching a position.

I didn't say he could get more money elsewhere, I said he's being paid below market for the position. Understandable, considering it's his first opportunity. David Benedict didn't have a problem with his resume and his position, or he wouldn't have hired Edsall.

DJ Hernandez? Seriously? You may have heard of his brother. Or the fact he was completely removed from football for a few years working as a roofer. You really don't think those facts have negatively impacted his career? Could you think of a worse comparison?

"Corey had been on the staff at Colorado for two seasons. He had been a backup quarterback at Syracuse. He studied his dad from a young age. He is a smart guy and a hard worker. He was qualified for his assistant shot. He’s also among the lowest-paid FCS [sic] coaches in the nation."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not so much. I've never researched it, but I'd guess that it's intention is prevent CT employees from benefiting from their position inappropriately. This particular provision seems aimed at preventing a manager from acting unilaterally to employ, maintain, and set the pay rates of family members.

In REv2's case, none of these things were done, or can be done without the review and authorization of a superior. The provisions's application to the this set of facts is a bad fit.
I'm going off what I read in the article...Jacobs may be wrong, but I'm giving him the benefit of doubt.

"This is important and I have tried to stress this since last summer: The state code of ethics does not forbid family members from working in the same departments. What the code does forbid is state employees using their positions for the financial gain of a family member."

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm going off what I read in the article...Jacobs may be wrong, but I'm giving him the benefit of doubt.

"This is important and I have tried to stress this since last summer: The state code of ethics does not forbid family members from working in the same departments. What the code does forbid is state employees using their positions for the financial gain of a family member."
I think that is a fair synopsis by JJ. Note that there is no "qualified" modifier in there.

By having independent decision makers who are not subordinate to REv2 aware of, and integral to the hiring, maintenance and compensation of the family member REv2 isn't using his position or authority for the financial gain of a family member. Frankly, the advisory board is costing the state money needlessly pursuing this matter.

Reaction Score
I think that is a fair synopsis by JJ. Note that there is no "qualified" modifier in there.
Fair point.

I do believe qualifications are relevant, otherwise this ethical gray area becomes much more black and white.

CL82

Reaction Score
Fair point.

I do believe qualifications are relevant, otherwise this ethical gray area becomes much more black and white.
It is fairly black and white. UConn followed the guidance given to them and met the requirements of the ethics language. This is advisory board overreach, IMO.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is stupid and has always been stupid. These are two individual personal services contracts between the University and the employees. Edsall has no official say in his son's contract, he doesn't sign it or approve it. It is also a one year deal that is renewed as long as the AD continues to want him there.

Yes, he takes Randys opinion into account but AD Dave can fire any of them at any time. That's sounds like enough of a separation to me.

Reaction Score
Corey Edsall was a back up QB at Syracuse?? I remember him being a chunky mediocre QB/Punter at East Catholic.. We ate his lunch and spit it out and we weren't exactly juggernauts at Plainville.. He runs a decent twitter tho.

CL82

Reaction Score
Corey Edsall was a back up QB at Syracuse?? I remember him being a chunky mediocre QB/Punter at East Catholic.. We ate his lunch and spit it out and we weren't exactly juggernauts at Plainville.. He runs a decent twitter tho.
Lower level of athleticism needed at Syracuse.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is stupid and has always been stupid. These are two individual personal services contracts between the University and the employees. Edsall has no official say in his son's contract, he doesn't sign it or approve it. It is also a one year deal that is renewed as long as the AD continues to want him there.

They have to find a way to create a one-time exception. Trying to sell it by saying a assistant coach doesn't really report to the head coach is insulting.

Reaction Score
It's extremely common for employees to be responsible for providing services/products with deadlines handed down by those same internal customers while reporting to an entirely different manager. If they screw up, they have to deal with the blowback from their customer(s) and their supervisor. Of course Corey answers to Randy, but Benedict can fire him at any time, and if Randy doesn't like, he's free to leave too.

CL82

Reaction Score
They have to find a way to create a one-time exception. Trying to sell it by saying a assistant coach doesn't really report to the head coach is insulting.
Only if your threshold for insult is phenomenally low. As long as hiring, firing and salary are determined by someone who is not subordinate to Edsall there is no potential for abuse by Edsall, therefore no ethics issue.

Reaction Score
The job market is defined by a simple metric - what would a willing employer pay a willing employee. Since RE's willingness to to be hired was conditioned on his son having a position, the job market is defined. Namely, if you want me you take him. We can test this against the alternative. If you don't hire my son, then it costs you another 15oK a year. The point is the son is a material part of the consideration for RE agreeing to be employed. It is not an abuse of power or ethics, because RE was not an employee of the state. If the rule is that no close relative may be employed if they are related to a state employee or official, the Capitol would be empty. It's a friggin cesspool of friends and family living off the public teet.

Reaction Score

That is apparently not the argument -"UConn claims to have a management plan that removes Randy Edsall from a place of influence over Corey’s career advancement and potential earnings." Seems very reasonable to say he is not getting a promo or salary increase without others signing off (perhaps OC, AD, Prez, etc.).

Why does CT continually have to show off how small time they are?

CL82

Reaction Score
Meghan references, but conveniently excludes the fact that UConn's policy that addresses provides for a remedy for a potential nepotism situation:

Procedure:
The University recognizes the potential for conflict of interest, claims of disparate treatment and/ or discrimination in the employment of relatives in the same department, work unit or in a direct or indirect supervisory relationship. The University further recognizes that there are infrequent but compelling circumstances under which such employment relationships may be in the best interests of the institution. Thus, to protect both the involved employee and the institution in those situations, the following procedure must be followed.
  1. No employee may sign any document that would affect an employment action on behalf of a relative.
  2. An employee who is confronted with an employment decision or action involving a relative must inform the immediate supervisor in advance, in writing, of the situation. The employee will describe the relationship and the proposed action requiring a decision by using Section 1 of the Conflict of Interest (COI) Disclosure form available here.
  3. The COI is submitted through the supervisory chain to the dean/director and then to the appropriate senior manager. Using Section 2 of the COI Disclosure form, the dean/director shall propose to the senior manager an appropriate conflict resolution plan (CRP) to resolve the conflict. In general the CRP should address how the required decisions will be made to avoid any conflicts.
  4. The senior manager shall determine if the proposed plan for the resolution of the conflict is within the best interest of the institution, and approve or modify the plan using Section 3 of the COI Disclosure form. The written resolution and implementation of the plan shall be communicated to the dean/director and through the supervisory chain to the employee(s) involved in the conflict of interest.
  5. The supervisor, dean/director, or provost/vice president (the first level outside of the reporting process of each person in the conflict) shall oversee the implementation of CRP.
  6. Should the conflict involve the provost or a vice president, then the actions/decision shall be directed to the president or designee.
Note: Under no circumstances will the University approve the employment of dependent children or step-children as student employees under direct or indirect supervisory relationships.
This preexisting plan which is in place for more than just REv2's situation seems well thought out and comprehensive. Certainly, not a "sham."

Reaction Score
Meghan references, but conveniently excludes the fact that UConn's policy that addresses provides for a remedy for a potential nepotism situation:

Procedure: The University further recognizes that there are infrequent but compelling circumstances under which such employment relationships may be in the best interests of the institution. Thus, to protect both the involved employee and the institution in those situations, the following procedure must be followed.
C'mon, she's a "current lawyer" interpreting what she wants to support her view, arguing her opinion, and other like stuff ... :rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's his resume from UCONN athletic site:

In his first season at UConn, Corey Edsall will be in charge of the tight ends.

Edsall spent two seasons on the Colorado football staff, 2016 was his first as a graduate assistant working with the defense. He joined the program in 2015 and worked as a football intern. In 2016, he was part of the biggest turn around season in PAC-12 history. The Buffaloes went 10-4 (8-1) and won the PAC-12 South Championship and appeared in the 2016 PAC-12 Championship game against the Washington Huskies.

Edsall, 24, has spent two summers as a scouting intern in a pair of National Football League training camps, New England in 2013 and Philadelphia in 2014.

He graduated with his bachelor's degree in Family Science from the University of Maryland in 2015. In 2011 he started out as a freshman at Syracuse University, where he played quarterback for coach Doug Marrone, but then transferred to Maryland. At Maryland, he worked three years (2012-14) as a student assistant on the offensive side of the ball, and staffed a pair of bowl games with the Terrapins (2013 Military, 2014 Foster Farms).

So you're saying he could obtain a position-coach job at a FBS school right after one year as a grad assistant on defense at Colorado? For a higher salary than what his father obtained for him? D.J. Hernandez has a better resume and he, like a bunch of other former players, are out coaching high school teams in their mid-20's.

Belichick absolutely kills these guys. If he did that, he learned some serious stuff. He's done a good job. There is a plan in place. It's time to move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom