C Edsall’s Contract (...and Dad’s too) Updated Monday Afternoon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

C Edsall’s Contract (...and Dad’s too) Updated Monday Afternoon

Reaction Score
Not even close to what happened. The coach bargained for it before he was an employee of the state. The university agreed and structured to comply once hired and a bunch of good /for-nothing bureaucrats were offended because somebody didn't kiss their in advance to their satisfaction. The office issued an opinion beforehand and they refused to homor their own opinion as non-binding like bureaucrats do.
When an ethics board's preliminary opinion on a hypothetical scenario is relied on to hire a hypothetical state employee, then the board realizes state citizens might realize we screwed up and issues a contradictory formal opinion. Ethics board CYA ... :rolleyes:

March Courant article: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-corey-edsall-contract-0325-20170324-story.html

"On Dec. 22, four days before previous coach Bob Diaco was notified he would be fired, Kimberly Fearney, UConn's director of compliance and ethics liaison, sent an email to Brian O'Dowd, the OSE's deputy general counsel, stating that UConn was recruiting a candidate for a position. Fearney also stated that one of the conditions sought by the candidate was employment for a family member.

The state statutes known as the Code of Ethics bans state employees from using their positions to benefit family members. But in this case, no formal employment agreement had yet been signed between Edsall and UConn.

Fearney wrote, "This would be part of the contract agreed to by the candidate and the University and signed before they begin employment. Can you confirm for me that this is permissible? … In addition, I know from prior guidance that it would be permissible for the family member to work within the same department, if they are not reporting, either directly or indirectly, to their family member."

O'Dowd, Deputy General Counsel of the Office of State Ethics responded, "Because the candidate is not yet a 'public official' or 'state employee,' the Code of Ethics for Public Officials … does not apply to him or her, meaning that what would be otherwise a clear use-of-office violation … namely, using one's state position to help one's spouse obtain a state job … is nonetheless technically permissible."

UConn took this as a go-ahead."

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Randy wants his day in court and will have it. Question is what happens if the court upholds the decision. What then? That is likely and that scares me.

Reaction Score
Randy wants his day in court and will have it. Question is what happens if the court upholds the decision. What then? That is likely and that scares me.
There could be an "easy" fix here.

Randy never signed the contract. If Corey must go, Edsall decides to void the contract due to UConn's "violation" of their memo of understanding.

UConn hires Corey. THEN UConn hires Randy. Edsall wasn't employed, the contract was void as was the MOU, so he didn't use his position to get Corey the job. Keep in place the same system where Corey reports to the assistant AD, not Randy, while the legislature crafts some sort of work-around for UConn athletics to do what is relatively common for the field in which he works.

We watched a HC kill the program because he refused to part with his OC, who was not related. They both got fired. If Corey doesn't perform (the opposite appears true at this time) and Edsall won't fire him Beth Goetz can. Or AD Dave can fire them both and make Lashlee the HC.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Wing I like your thinking. I don't think that happens however. They favor in UConn's favor great. If not, I don't think they do your end around.

Reaction Score
Wing I like your thinking. I don't think that happens however. They favor in UConn's favor great. If not, I don't think they do your end around.
Probably not, and I'm no lawyer, but it seems feasible (admittedly with lots of assumptions made in good faith).

Reaction Score
There could be an "easy" fix here.

Randy never signed the contract. If Corey must go, Edsall decides to void the contract due to UConn's "violation" of their memo of understanding.

UConn hires Corey. THEN UConn hires Randy. Edsall wasn't employed, the contract was void as was the MOU, so he didn't use his position to get Corey the job.
Creative thinking, but dinero direct deposited in RE's bank account may suggest an employment relationship exists. Inconvenient and all ...

Reaction Score
Creative thinking, but dinero direct deposited in RE's bank account may suggest an employment relationship exists. Inconvenient and all ...
I’m not being argumentative. But like i said, if he voids the MOU and never signs the contract, then I assume the checks would stop as he’d no longer be the head coach. The HC job would be open for the week or two it takes to iron out Corey’s contract. Then Randy signs his contract and the employment begins again. Unlikely, I know. But usually the simplest solution is the best, and all this time and money being spent litigating this seems like a waste of resources.

Reaction Score
I’m not being argumentative.
Nor I. As much as most UConn fans and we mutually hope for the best and no creative solutioning will be required, expectations for the latter workaround's success may be limited. Stranger things may have happened, yet betting the house, even whaler's, may be a reach.

Set aside receipt of compensation, most un-involved or sympathetic individuals (read: non-UConn fans) might question whether people typically volunteer 10-12 hours a day, allow or present themselves as the face of a company, athletic program, etc. without actually being the CEO, sales head, coach, grand poobah, etc. Best case, let's just hope the judge rules on RE's behalf.

Reaction Score
Can't agree. Having the college FB team call the shots is how you get a Jerry Sandusky.

Wow. That sounds real close to a "a rich man did something bad, so all rich men are bad" type comment. No thanks to that line of thinking.

Reaction Score
Wow. That sounds real close to a "a rich man did something bad, so all rich men are bad" type comment. No thanks to that line of thinking.

That's a bit of a slippery slope. I'm with Waquoit on this one.

C

Chief00

The state law is a necessary one. One doesn't get to ignore it just because the state FB coach wants to give his son a six figure payday to tweet. It seems to me that everyone is looking to find a way to resolve this. One thing for sure, this is issue is not small time. Connecticut is not Alabama and that's a good thing.

So you wouldn’t take the Bama football program?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So you wouldn’t take the Bama football program?
False choice. Of course I'd like my team to have that success. But not if it meant I'd have to live in a crap state like Alabama.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Having the college FB team call the shots is how you get a Jerry Sandusky.
So if every FBS AD in the country had free reign they'd all choose to facilitate a pedophile.

Yeah I'm having a little trouble following the logic.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Can't agree. Having the college FB team call the shots is how you get a Jerry Sandusky.

Not even in the same world, but than again it might be in your small world thinking. Why UConn was left behind, because of thinking like yours.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So if every FBS AD in the country had free reign they'd all choose to facilitate a pedophile.
Yeah I'm having a little trouble following the logic.
Power corrupts.

Reaction Score
Not even in the same world, but than again it might be in your small world thinking. Why UConn was left behind, because of thinking like yours.

Yes, that's right, Bill. It wasn't that our Hall of Fame coach was retiring while we were on APR probation with an uncertain future, or our football building coach had left for his "dream job" at Maryland. It wasn't that we were ostensibly a basketball program when the ACC desperately needed football.

It was cause the ACC was worried we wouldn't be able to look the other way when a coach hired his son. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn should have hired Corey first, then a couple days later Randy. That probably would have nipped this in the bud.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Jacob's there? Expect a crybaby article tomorrow like the Darien FB ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom