C. Collier on rejecting Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

C. Collier on rejecting Geno

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was speaking of the practices leading up to the McDonalds game.
"I really like playing with Honesty Scott Grayson."
" She’s a really good guard with great court vision who is going to Baylor."
My main point was she wants to play with a really good guard. And she could have played with Dangerfield and Williams. But C'est la Vie.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
It's on my list as I want to get the Alamo'd ice cream, see the "rat turtle" and some of the cows with really long horns, weeds that tumble and birds that run along the road... by the way, what's in your wallet? :p

UConn at Baylor next year. Maybe you should go??

Reaction Score
That's the first team.
The second team includes Essence Carson, Laura Harper, EDD, Nicky Anosike, Teresa Borton and Diamond Deshields.
Carson, Vaughn, Harper, Anosike and Waner are collectively responsible for the 2005-2008 draught.
I never understood it coming after a triumphant threepeat.
Harper won a NC at Maryland. Anosike won two at Tennessee.
In the first team only Wilson has a championship ring.
Did Bonnie Samuelson get an offer from UConn?

Was my understanding that UConn started pursuing Anosike very late and didnt have much chance.

I'd add Cappy Pondexter, Erica McCall, Courtney Paris, Nikki Blue to the list.
And of course perhaps the most famous rejection conversation - Jacki Gemelos.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The list of those who said “no” to Geno includes Jayne Appel, Chiney Ogwumike, Abby Waner, Kia Vaughn, Karlie Samuelson, Arike Ogunbowale, Jewell Loyd, A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox, and Ezi Magbegor.
An Olympic team with that roster might easily win a bronze medal.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
When you visit there, the locals will point out that it is the only state that was a separate nation.
th

Reaction Score
Was my understanding that UConn started pursuing Anosike very late and didnt have much chance.

I'd add Cappy Pondexter, Erica McCall, Courtney Paris, Nikki Blue to the list.
And of course perhaps the most famous rejection conversation - Jacki Gemelos.

The story that I read (perhaps here) is that when Laura Harper verballed to UConn, Anosike decided to go to Tennessee.
Then Harper decided to leave for greener pastures but Anosike did not come back.

Pondexter, Carson and Vaughn will not publicly admit that they made a mistake. It must hurt when the UConn players and national championships are mentioned together in a sentence.

I do not regret that Gemelos took her business elsewhere. One Nicole Wolff was enough and we got Brittany Hunter and her stepdad as well.
I just cannot fathom why so many top players gave UConn a wide berth after winning 4 NCs in 5 years.

Reaction Score
UConn at Baylor next year. Maybe you should go??
Interesting how Baylor scheduled this home and home series. Last year they were happy to play us since the Big Three had moved on, and next year I guess they are happy to play again with Kia and Gabby gone.

Reaction Score
Harper said yes a bit reluctantly (as far as I can recollect) and changed her mind when Crystal Langhorne chose Maryland.
Ah, yes, Langhorne was the preferred. Larkins for UNC. The mind is a terrible thing to lose.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's on my list as I want to get the Alamo'd ice cream, see the "rat turtle" and some of the cows with really long horns, weeds that tumble and birds that run along the road... by the way, what's in your wallet? :p

Now it's in bowling ball mode.
Can we take it with us?
A little bit of frills never hurt anyone.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like Stanford is the leading culprit for where these players ended up instead of UConn.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
<<Can’t blame a kid for wanting to stay close to family. Wish her nothing but the best. >>

Sorry, but I don't feel that way. Same goes for AEH.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
... When I was finishing grad. school a wealthy school recruited me very hard, and I asked the dean if this glitz will continue once I came: he just smiled. I chose elsewhere, a better school, if not nearly so well-off, that didn't offer me anything but challenges and opportunity...

Understand this completely. I was offered an academic scholarship by a Big Ten school. I turned it down in favor of a school that did not offer. The reason? The Big Ten school typically employed (amateur) teaching assistants left and right. The other school had bonafide professors. This made all the difference for me then and now, and I have not one regret as to my decision.

I mention this only because for someone making a college decision, things not readily apparent can make the difference.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Who was the big girl who took a year at Peddie. I think she was either from Trinidad or perhaps Bermuda or maybe the Bahamas? Never to be seen again.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Interesting how Baylor scheduled this home and home series. Last year they were happy to play us since the Big Three had moved on, and next year I guess they are happy to play again with Kia and Gabby gone.
ssscccrrreeeeetttccchhh, whoa there, before you get the rest of the gang in a froth over Kim, Geno "split" the series to next year due to the home games he had to schedule for Gabby and Kia. So she wasn't gaming the system. Kim said ok and agreed to play at Baylor in the fall. One more point of input-Baylor was to compete in November Tournament in 2017 with 3 other top schools but due to the hurricanes (I believe, someone interject if I am wrong), the tournament was cancelled which didn't help her pathetic OOC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor signee NaLyssa Smith:

A who’s-who of women’s basketball coaches made their way into the Smith household, including UConn’s Geno Auriemma and South Carolina’s Dawn Staley.

“Geno was in our house,” Smith said. “This man is the real deal. For him to be recruiting me, that was something serious. I had to sit back and think about that. Dang. Geno was really in my house.”

The article is in today’s new links.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Did Geno not pursue Tamika Catchings?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And the other players didn't?
Some turned him down for basketball reasons: the promise of playing time, the (somewhat unrealistic) idea of winning a championship elsewhere, etc. Elena left because of her sister.

Reaction Score
. Hunter came back, but at a terrible cost to her physically.

Just to clarify for those who don't know the Hunter story. The terrible damage to her physically happened at Duke. UConn doctors/trainers tried to fix it, but had only partial success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom