C. Collier De-commitment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

C. Collier De-commitment

Reaction Score
I'm afraid that the very public fiscal situation in Connecticut is going to
start having a major impact on recruiting...and I dread it.

You may be right but it seems now that many of the big state universities are in the same boat..........hopefully a compromise can be reached that keeps UConn in good academic and athletic standing

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I would say that it hurts with CW as Texas is now a NC contender fairly close to home with several players she knows well, while the odds are a bit better with ONO as she would be the one and only post player on the roster making playing time as close to a sure thing as you get with Geno
Not to be morose--okay, maybe a little--but has Geno ever had a year (gulp) without a recruit? I've heard Geno say that one recruiting appeal at UConn is that good players know they will get to play with other good players. Of course good players don't have to be from the same class but the bulk of UConn's established talent will be gone in two years so, regarding CW, I understand what you're saying, Charlie. Yech!

Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh well...if it's a decommitment then we never had the player anyway! My focus is on this season as of Now! Plenty of time to worry about some 2018 commit/decommit! Oh well

I just learned of this development a moment ago. This is not the type news I hope to get when I log on to the yard. This is devastating news to me because her verbal caused some of us all to have visions grandeur. If she really wants to be a longhorn, then you're right, we really didn't have her in the first place. I wonder if someone has been in her ear, of if she was simply having second thoughts.

Better for her (and UConn) for her to make this decision now, than after her freshman year. I am a firm believer that when one door closes, another one opens. It would have been nice if she had made this announcement earlier, to give Geno and staff more time to focus on and actively pursue it other post recruits. I don't know what ONO's thoughts or feeling towards UConn are, but hopefully now that Collier has decided take her talents to Austin, perhaps that will peak her interest and desire in becoming a Husky, knowing that she won't have to share time with Collier.

As others have commented, there could be a myriad of reasons Collier chose decommit. Personally, I was hoping for, and expecting big things from her during her time at UConn. Since that ship has now sailed, we can turn our focus and attention to the players that are here, and the 2017-2018 season. The class of 2018 will take care of itself (with the help of the staff of course).

I also agree that Aston appears to be putting together a very formidable squad at Texas. As another poster mentioned, Texas will be loaded with talent, and could very well supplant Notre Dame as UConn's biggest rival as one of the top 2-3 teams in the country. I feel like I've been standing on a trap door, and it just opened. :confused:

Anything can happen between now and the early signing period. Perhaps someone else will have second thoughts about their commitment. I could sure use some GOOD NEWS right now!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just learned of this development a moment ago. This is not the type news I hope to get when I log on to the yard. This is devastating news to me because her verbal caused us all to have visions grandeur. I feel like I've been standing on a trap door, and it just opened. :confused:

I could sure use some GOOD NEWS right now!!!

OK......................the sun will come up tomorrow..............we may not be alive to see it but it surely will......................feeling better now?

Reaction Score
it looks like she is already going to college at the University of Canberra.....she signed a one year deal to play with their club team while still being able to go to college...not sure where that leaves things......here's an earlier piece on her

Making it look Ezi: Ezi Magbegor is the next big thing in women’s basketball. Literally.

I know Penny Taylor has kept Coach Auriemma up on young Australians before so he would surely have known about Magbegor long before now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would say that it hurts with CW as Texas is now a NC contender fairly close to home with several players she knows well, while the odds are a bit better with ONO as she would be the one and only post player on the roster making playing time as close to a sure thing as you get with Geno
I agree: CW less likely; ONO more likely. That's at the margin. We may get either, both, or none.

Reaction Score
I wish Charlie Collier the best. Someday she should be attending the NC banner-hoisting ceremony as Lauren Cox did in 2015-2016.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
it looks like she is already going to college at the University of Canberra.....she signed a one year deal to play with their club team while still being able to go to college...not sure where that leaves things......here's an earlier piece on her

I'm in the dark when it comes to Australian basketball leagues and colleges but what I'm reading is that she "signed" with the team for this year. Sounds like she can leave after the season?

UC Capitals Ezi decision for Magbegor

Reaction Score
I'm in the dark when it comes to Australian basketball leagues and colleges but what I'm reading is that she "signed" with the team for this year. Sounds like she can leave after the season?

UC Capitals Ezi decision for Magbegor

I would think so but I have no idea how the NCAA views that............does she have to sit out for a year like a normal transfer or is it different because she's coming from another country?...........don't the European players play right away for USF? Just not sure if this is different as there is a college involved

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Should also note that the Aussie press refers to Magbegor as in "year 12." Normally, the 12th year of school is high school senior level, at least in the US. Is it possible she's taking college courses early there? Maybe that's why she signed for a year. Anyone familiar with the Australian system?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not too familiar, but she's taking grade 12 classes while playing as an amateur (without pay) on a pro team. Sounds contradictory, but it's normal there. I think the NCAA considers her college eligible, per my source. She could decide to stay down under, or she could be a HUGE recruiting coup. I have fingers and toes crossed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would think so but I have no idea how the NCAA views that..does she have to sit out for a year like a normal transfer or is it different because she's coming from another country?......don't the European players play right away for USF? Just not sure if this is different as there is a college involved
Yeah, Jose has gotten a lot of talent from outside the U.S. Watching international play, I see some real talent. The key is finding someone who wants an education and is willing to leave home. We are due for another Sveta!! How did she work out?? :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would think so but I have no idea how the NCAA views that..does she have to sit out for a year like a normal transfer or is it different because she's coming from another country?......don't the European players play right away for USF? Just not sure if this is different as there is a college involved
Sitting out a year only applies for transfers between NCAA institutions.

International students have to go through the NCAA clearing house process that which determines eligibility. The general requirements (same for all students) "Amateurism" can be found here and includes things like you have never signed to play professionally.
Amateurism

Beyond the general requirements there are specific things that need to be provided to the clearing house based on country. The Australian specific things are here.
https://pub.s1.exacttarget.com/ithmsvqhyiv

If you meet all the requirements and provide all the required paper work then the clearing house makes you eligible and informs your school.

Just because you signed a professional contract does not automatically make you NCAA ineligible. The NCAA has a sliding scale that it applies to determine an acceptable level of compensation (not always money) and still retain amateur status. The NCAA ruled against Ernest Kantor who played professionally in Turkey was not eligible to play at Kentucky. I'm not sure of the specifics but I believe the NCAA ruled in favor of Angela Salvadores which made her eligible to play at Duke although she had play some what professionally in Europe-i think.
My guess is that if a college is pursuing Ezi at this point,an assessment of her chances of being declared eligibility, would have been one of the first points of discussion.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This sucks, but I think that UCONN is going to have a monster recruiting class for 2019. Things happen for a reason.

.........................and Geno usually comes out smelling like a rose. ;)

Reaction Score
This article goes into more depth about Collier's decision......note the end of the article about possible retribution for players that leave the UConn program and want to play on USA teams...........today.........really?

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/14938-2/

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This article goes into more depth about Collier's decision.note the end of the article about possible retribution for players that leave the UConn program and want to play on USA teams......today....really?

Collier Commits to Texas - Bluestar Media
Sorry, I call bulls--- on Flynn. There is no retribution. EDD made Team USA when healthy. Langhorne is a decent WNBA player with limitations. She's not Team USA caliber. The Parker situation was discussed at great length. She never decommitted from UConn, and she played in London in 2012.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This article goes into more depth about Collier's decision.note the end of the article about possible retribution for players that leave the UConn program and want to play on USA teams......today....really?

Really bad look on Flynn to bring unsubstantiated stuff like that up in a column about Charli Collier. One of his examples is of course Candace Parker. But I'm pretty sure Parker played in the 2012 Olympics when Geno was coaching. I guess he hid his snubbed-UConn agenda for that one.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

As was told to me long, long ago - consider the source.

If Collier wants to stay in Texas, that's fine. Disappointing but fine.

As to Aston, what is she going to do with all this talent? Recruiting is all well and good but not if you can't put it together and win the big prize. I see Texas becoming a Baylor type team - loads of talent, falling short in the tourney, transfers going to places for playing time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sure she called Geno in person and explained her decision and thanked him for all his time and efforts.
Do you know that or are you just assuming?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What I am getting from Charli is that she has strong ties to her family and her friends, and the hurricane brought out some emotions to make her want to stay closer to home. All that is understandable. I like that she helped people affected by the hurricane and wish her the best in Austin.

I don't like that she de-committed twice and think she would have been developed more at UConn, but her priority is family. We've seen that before.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Leave it to Mike to dredge up the Crystal Langhorne USA basketball snub. I had actually forgotten about it. For those interested Crystal Langhorne & Laura Harper were both supposed to end up at UCONN but somehow ended up at Maryland instead though the influence of some AAU coaches and helicopter parents. Mechelle Voepel connects the dots in this article.

"Anybody who has paid attention to the WNBA this season likely had the same reaction that I did upon seeing this. Why on earth isn't Washington post player Crystal Langhorne in this pool?"

Voepel: Crystal Langhorne inexplicably left out of Team USA pool

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom