C. Collier De-commitment

Reaction Score
University-Chicago-10038.jpg

Crescat scientia; vita excolatur!

that goes double for me!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And a graduate of the University of Chicago which really is a prestigious university.

The Boneyard, a diverse and prestigious place where eggheads and knuckleheads cannot be dustinguued.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, she has every right to do what is best for her, that said a simple thank you to Geno and UConn would have been a nice gesture
She decommited several days ago (or weeks, for all I know); I'm sure she called Geno in person and explained her decision and thanked him for all his time and efforts.

Reaction Score
She decommited several days (or weeks, for all I know); I'm sure she called Geno in person and explained her decision and thanked him for all his time and efforts.

You may be correct but for all of her fans it would have been good for her to show just a bit of gratitude.........I hate to come off like a snob but UConn offers are few and far between...................Geno is no Jeff Walz or Brenda when it comes to recruiting numbers...............

Reaction Score
yes a bit disappointed by Charli's reaction............example, no need for this retweet............just do what you're going to do and move on............ no reason to revel in it

Reaction Score
How is she a mediocre coach? I don't think she's the next Geno, but she's been there 5 years and has completely turned around the program and has them set up to be a major contender for the next several years. That's a heck of a coaching job.

Stockpiling talent doesn't always lead to results (see Duke/Tennessee/Ohio State), but if her players are as good as advertised and she can develop them, Texas is going to emerge as the main title challenger to Connecticut. Assuming no transfers (which isn't realistic in today's day and age)..a couple years down the road she could have a starting 5 of:

2019-20
C-Charli Collier, So
Joyner Holmes, Sr
Reliah Boothe, Jr
G-Chasity Patterson, Jr
G-Alecia Sutton, Sr

She'll have the same players in 2018-19 but adding in Higgs. If she can't make a Final Four in 2019 or 2020, then I'll start questioning her coaching ability, but I think she has far exceeded expectations at this point.

Player development hasn't been a strong point of Coach Aston to this point.

Imani Stafford
Ariel Atkins
Brooke McCarty
Higgs and Hosey

Only McCarty have some what improved.

Reaction Score
Just been in touch with a source close to the Collier's de-commitment process and the recent events in Houston did have an influence of her decision. She's a young lady who lost her father last year and witnessed the effects of the hurricane on friends/family so through experiencing these events she made the decision to stay close to home. I was a bit frustrated of the thought of Texas "poaching" Collier away from UConn but my source said this wasn't the case. She wanted to stay close to home and chose TX based on her familiarity with the coaches and current/future players. It sucks to lose such a high profile commit but folks need to put themselves in this YOUNG lady's shoes before they start to pick her apart on social media.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good on her. Go where it's the best fit for you. I can't say I wouldn't want her here, and I can't say I won't get just a little enjoyment watching UConn stomp Texas in the coming years. But hey, what is, is. What ain't, ain't.

Now, oh yes, let's go get ONO. When one door closes another one opens. There's plenty of future room for her now.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Imani Stafford
Ariel Atkins
Brooke McCarty
Higgs and Hosey

Didn't Atkins play over in Japan with USA team?

Reaction Score
I was looking forward to having two Colliers on the court at the same time. Have to say, Texans show a level of loyalty and pride in their state not seen outside of North Korea!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn't Atkins play over in Japan with USA team?
Yes she was on the U23 team that played in Japan. I think @Go/huskies point though was that someone on that list of Texas players should have been AA by now. Atkins for example was rated the #3 player in the class. Horsey might be one of the all time under achievers compared to where she was ranked and her inability to get off the Texas Bench.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Good luck Charli! I just hope she stays there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am fine with Collier decommitting. Staying close to home is very powerful. I was just surprised her statement did not have any language thanking UConn for their efforts and interest. Proforma I know but still ?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm afraid that the very public fiscal situation in Connecticut is going to
start having a major impact on recruiting...and I dread it.

Reaction Score
Does this have any impact on UConn's recruiting prospects of signing CW and/or ONO?

I would say that it hurts with CW as Texas is now a NC contender fairly close to home with several players she knows well, while the odds are a bit better with ONO as she would be the one and only post player on the roster making playing time as close to a sure thing as you get with Geno

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Imani Stafford
Ariel Atkins
Brooke McCarty
Higgs and Hosey

McCarty has become one of the best PGs in the country despite being just 5-4. She was the Big 12 POY last season and should contend for AA this year.

Atkins was likely over ranked coming out of high school, but she has improved each year and is one of the better wings in the nation. Not a shining example like McCarty, but she has definitely improved over her time.

Higgs production and efficiency increased greatly last year after a lackluster freshman season. Hosey hasn't been able to crack the rotation.

Imani could have been better than she is/was, but she was the third rated post on HG and ended up having a much better college career than anyone else in the top 5 (Hollivay/Malina Howard/Alyson Beebe/Katie Collier.) I also thought she did improve from her freshman year to by the time she left even if she never became a major star.

Her results of player improvement aren't close to Geno/Tara/Muffett level, but she has had results and her best recruits having only played a season or haven't played at all yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom